(Topic ID: 58416)

So, we're thinking of starting an Arcade...

By RadiatorLady

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 71 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by SteveP3
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrobinso99.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from RadiatorLady:

Already lots of great answers. Thanks, guys.
    Yeah, we're still in the super early stages of figuring everything out, and we know it ain't cheap. We're in talks with some other local business owners about the best plan of attack. We do plan on serving alcohol. There's nowhere for 20-somethings in our town to really "hang out" and have fun, or enjoy a few beers without being stuck in a bar or restaurant. So, I think it could be fairly successful.
    We're not looking to be big ol' rich business owners of course. Just make enough money to keep the doors open, the customers happy, and the pins rollin'.

We just went through this process with getting an arcade setup in PA that opens in a couple weeks. I think it is important to make sure everyone understands your goals. If your purpose is purely to enjoy pinball and an arcade, that is great, but make sure everyone involved is crisp on that.

Maintenance seems to be what drives most pinball arcades into disrepair so I would suggest having a solid plan for it. From what I have heard from other operators, keeping 10 machines 100% working in your basement is one thing but doing that in an arcade is a whole different scenario and takes a LOT of work.

As others mentioned, make sure you know the rules on licences and taxes. In PA it is by township which meant some places were off the table when we started looking for a location. Liquor license around here cost more than commercial buildings, and kitchens are a huge amount of overhead, so we decided to partner with an established area bar and restaurant that had a nice list of craft brews (good beer was a priority for us!).

"A" list pins are great if you can afford them. I'm putting my personal Monster Bash in our arcade but not with the intent of making any money on it, more that I want people to enjoy it. A lot of people with "A" list pins don't want them routed... so you need to find the right mix.

Best of luck! Keep us posted on your progress.

-Jay

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrobinso99.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-were-thinking-of-starting-an-arcade?tu=jrobinso99 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.