• Latest reply 3 years ago by Who-Dey
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FCC1E87E-F67E-46C9-A38E-F79547BB41C6 (resized).jpeg
E4014F94-82E5-4D98-8F12-BB1705AC083B (resized).jpeg
There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 3 years ago

I went to the arcade yesterday, excited, knowing full well that jurassic park pro was there. I went in feeling sorta meh on the artwork and wanting to purchase a premium, but still excited to finally get the chance to play this amazing game.

And then I played it.

My first impressions weren't amazing. I was more let down by the art than I would have expected, but I knew that going in... and pushed forward. The game play to me wasn't as thrilling as I had hoped. That right side of the playfield was hard for me to hit (from the right ramp onward). I owned an iron maiden and liked that game a lot (despite hating the theme), and this felt like an iron maiden but not as fun.

My wife, who is a huge supporter of my idiotic hobby and the world's biggest Jurassic park fan even said she may buy one for the house when she watched videos of it with me online. She saw it in person and was disappointed with the art and the sound in the game. I tried to shine up the situation by telling her there are alternate sound files out there, but man... after playing it I just don't get it.

Guys, I expect to be downvoted for this, but wtf. This game was a huge let down for me. Oddly the other game I wanted to play, Deadpool, was an absolute blast. I never cared too much for how it looked online, yet I loved it from the get go. Amazing machine. This is the opposite of how I felt about jp. Weird.

If I hadn't played this I would have bought it sight unseen.... glad I didn't. :/

#2 3 years ago

The reworked sound package Someone did on here ties in that missing theme intervention. It’s super well done! Personally, I’d love to own a pro!

#3 3 years ago

You can’t just flail around playing the game. Takes a bit more precision and accuracy to progress. Tons of different ways to attack the game which makes it a true gem at home.
You want to rescue workers and proceed through paddocks? Check. Rather work the truck and get to Museum Mayhem. Cool. Also have the control center modes. Then all the sweet combos, smart missile shot, raptor pen, badass moving Dino head, BEST shaker implementation in any Stern to date, being able to play the wizard mode from start....

Throw another $10 in and try again.

#4 3 years ago

The game is awesome. I’ve never played the pro but I own a premium is such a blast and shoots so well and has so much going on under the glass. I also own a dead pool premium and really enjoy that as well!

#6 3 years ago

It’s still the best game I have ever played. But you have to have an idea of what you are doing.

#7 3 years ago

The game is pretty deep - I had a similar reaction when I first played it. It's fun, but you have to know what you are shooting for, and the rules.. it can be a lot. No comment on the art, I don't really remember that too well.

I actually found JJP POTC a lot easier to understand at first. You really do have to play it A. LOT. to get the rules. But once you do, the rules and the different paths you can choose make it really innovative. If you want another knock-it-out-the-park A+ recent effort from Stern, try Elvira 3. It continues to get updates which are out of control awesome, and the game is pretty to understand from a rules standpoint. What shot you want to go for is VERY obvious, and you have multiple ways to get there. JP is still more innovative I think, but you gotta study a bit.

#8 3 years ago

I cannot think if too many games where my first impression was wrong. But I agree knowing what to do helps. With that said, embarrassingly I know most the rules if all the games I step up to due to watching it for hours. So I was aware if the game features and rules for the most part. I'll give it some more goes, but this dropped off my radar big time. Looking towards tmnt and deadpool, now.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from kingfishtr:

It’s still the best game I have ever played. But you have to have an idea of what you are doing.

Agreed. Also, difficult to judge a game based on it being a Pro on location. Not exactly putting its best foot forward tbh. I have a Maiden and a friend has a JP Premium. Think I like the JP a little better.

#10 3 years ago

I have some sympathy for this point of view. JP2 is a tough game and it punishes you and can become frustrating. The jeep ball mech thing is really frustrating and the smart missile shot a killer. I loved it when I played it at Pinburgh. But the immersive qualities are low as games go, the budabuddahbum music just becomes irritating as hell after a while. If I was better at pinball I might enjoy it more. Its not a terrible game I just think its skill level means great players will love it. I have Maiden and I like that more even though I hate Maiden's music.

#11 3 years ago

I felt the same way the first few occasions I played it, but then JP grew on me, and admittedly art is not a big concern with me.
I would suggest playing it more and getting deeper into the game.

There is a lot to do, and there are some cool and unusual features in JP (2 way left ramp system, spinning jeep, loopy right ramp).
One of Stern's bests titles in the last 3 years - one of the few well coded games also.

#12 3 years ago

Make no mistake, I'm not calling it a bad game. Not at all. Just was expecting it to blow me away by where it is ranked.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I have some sympathy for this point of view. JP2 is a tough game and it punishes you and can become frustrating. The jeep ball mech thing is really frustrating and the smart missile shot a killer. I loved it when I played it at Pinburgh. But the immersive qualities are low as games go, the budabuddahbum music just becomes irritating as hell after a while. If I was better at pinball I might enjoy it more. Its not a terrible game I just think its skill level means great players will love it. I have Maiden and I like that more even though I hate Maiden's music.

I actually owned just a Maiden Premium and a JP pro. I am not a great player and in fact got my best score on JP yesterday and it is embarrassing low still. I did really like Maiden Prem, but I never played it unless people were over. They loved it! For me it just didn’t feel challenging and I always found myself on my JP Pro trying to get better and better. So I sold the Maiden a few days ago to a nice pinsider. Reason being, I want to find a game that makes me feel like JP pro. I will play 30-40 games of JP in a row and find myself thinking about when I can make time in the day to play it next. I never felt that way about Maiden. I’m hoping there is another title out there that has this effect on me. I really believe all the praise JP gets is completely warranted. I am probably going to get a TMNT pro to put with it. Hoping for the best.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Make no mistake, I'm not calling it a bad game. Not at all. Just was expecting it to blow me away by where it is ranked.

I can understand that. I had never played it before I bought a Pro. I wasn’t instantly in love with it. It happened about 150 plays later.

#15 3 years ago

I think you have to be in the right mood to enjoy JP. It's really not a game designed for casual players as the shots are rather tight and the rulesheet is complex. Its kind of the TSPP or TZ of this generation. Im surprised its ranked as high as it is. With that being said its one of my favorite games. The ruleset is a masterpiece and I enjoy the challenge that the layout offers. i think the majority of players would have more fun on a 2 flipper game like Deadpool, Monster Bash or MM with more straightforward rules.

#16 3 years ago

Your not alone.. I've played the pro on many occasions and it's just ok imo
. I find many other newer stern titles much better to play and enjoy as a total package

#17 3 years ago

Different strokes for different folks, get something you like and move on.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I went to the arcade yesterday, excited, knowing full well that jurassic park pro was there.

This is where things went wrong for you. On both counts.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Just was expecting it to blow me away by where it is ranked.

Never go by rank and try not to go in expecting to be blown away. That's what went wrong sir. U didn't have that with Deadpool and look what happened. If u get urself a JP2 pro u will not be disappointed that's for sure.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

This is where things went wrong for you. On both counts.

So don't support local arcades. Lemme jot this down here....

Okay. Done (you monster!)

#21 3 years ago

It's a good game for sure, but I wasn't blown away myself. The problem with the pro is the raptor pit is kind of weak, and takes up a lot of space. Never played a Prem+ but it has to be better.
IMDN I felt was a lot better for me

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It's a good game for sure, but I wasn't blown away myself. The problem with the pro is the raptor pit is kind of weak, and takes up a lot of space. Never played a Prem+ but it has to be better.
IMDN I felt was a lot better for me

I just read that the pro also doesn't have the moving TRex, which is ... kinda a main feature of the game. So maybe try a Premium if you can.

#23 3 years ago

It’s also a game that plays very differently on the pf angle and whether it’s level. When everything is setup nice the shots are easier but it’s still a game where you need to aim and shoot.

The art is definitely personal preference. Everyone that has seen mine was impressed and thought it was “really cool”. I don’t find any of the audio annoying when playing for hours. After watching TMNT I’m not sure I could stand that TMNT theme song for hours.

#24 3 years ago

Man JP premium is my favorite Stern ever, are you considering tmnt?

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I expect to be downvoted for this

You should not get downvotes here. You opinion is based on your direct experience and your comments are not rude, out of line, or otherwise dickish.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and not every game is for every person. Preferences will vary.
I will never understand how some people feel any opinion differing from their own is fightin' words.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I just read that the pro also doesn't have the moving TRex, which is ... kinda a main feature of the game. So maybe try a Premium if you can.

It doesn’t but I also know some premium owners disable the T-Rex so it plays faster like a Pro.

#27 3 years ago

I understand I played the pro at ABT electronics. At least 15 -20 games on separate occasions. It didn't click and neither did the SW premium.

Either it wasn't set up that great or I played lousy.
Liked it much better at Expo but dealt with lines.
I have the pro .and like it but not as much as Wonka that will be my next game. So down the road it might go before other games I have owned longer.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I just read that the pro also doesn't have the moving TRex, which is ... kinda a main feature of the game..

Raptor pit worst than trex for me.

#29 3 years ago

It’s way better with the topper.

JP is a great game. Elwin layouts don’t reward flailing around. Hope you get more time on one.

Either way, it’s ok not to run with the herd!!

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I owned an iron maiden and liked that game a lot (despite hating the theme)

Thank you for speaking up about this. Specifically about hating the theme of Iron Maiden.

No one has ever mentioned that before.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from kingfishtr:

So I sold the Maiden a few days ago to a nice pinsider.

Someone needs to update their collection page

#32 3 years ago

You don't have to like it just because it's popular.
That's why it is important to play before you buy. No need to justify your opinion. If you prefer to play other pins then play them. Plenty of pins for everyone.

#33 3 years ago

The game is amazing in my opinion. A real challenge. The premium is so cool!! You can really have fun shooting this game. It will make you a better player. Also modding the game is fun!

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

Thank you for speaking up about this. Specifically about hating the theme of Iron Maiden.

No one has ever mentioned that before.

I lol’d

#35 3 years ago

It never clicked with me. Iron Maiden, Elvira, DP or SW for me.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

So don't support local arcades. Lemme jot this down here....
Okay. Done (you monster!)

No...you and I both know you can't hear shit in an arcade. And I really think the T-Rex and raptor pen add a bit to the immersion.

Edit...long day. I thought we were talking about STh for a second there. Yikes.

#37 3 years ago

It’s ok not to click or dig a game regardless of its Pinside rating!!! There’s a zillion games out there and everybody has a different taste. The positive side is that you have a location to test a game out enough before buying it. Give every game a fair chance and you’ll be surprised once in awhile what grips you.

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I went to the arcade yesterday, excited, knowing full well that jurassic park pro was there. I went in feeling sorta meh on the artwork and wanting to purchase a premium, but still excited to finally get the chance to play this amazing game.
And then I played it.
My first impressions weren't amazing. I was more let down by the art than I would have expected, but I knew that going in... and pushed forward. The game play to me wasn't as thrilling as I had hoped. That right side of the playfield was hard for me to hit (from the right ramp onward). I owned an iron maiden and liked that game a lot (despite hating the theme), and this felt like an iron maiden but not as fun.
My wife, who is a huge supporter of my idiotic hobby and the world's biggest Jurassic park fan even said she may buy one for the house when she watched videos of it with me online. She saw it in person and was disappointed with the art and the sound in the game. I tried to shine up the situation by telling her there are alternate sound files out there, but man... after playing it I just don't get it.
Guys, I expect to be downvoted for this, but wtf. This game was a huge let down for me. Oddly the other game I wanted to play, Deadpool, was an absolute blast. I never cared too much for how it looked online, yet I loved it from the get go. Amazing machine. This is the opposite of how I felt about jp. Weird.
If I hadn't played this I would have bought it sight unseen.... glad I didn't. :/

I suppose it depends on personal taste...Granted, voice actors and art aren't the best (although premium art package is not bad), but still...
You're in the minority, and I still think JP is awesome, but I do get what you're saying.

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from snowy_owl:

You're in the minority, and I still think JP is awesome, but I do get what you're saying.

My guess is that it’s a good size minority.

I’ve played a friend’s premium dozens of times and it just doesn’t click with me either. And I’m usually a sucker for challenging, deep games.

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

No...you and I both know you can't hear shit in an arcade. And I really think the T-Rex and raptor pen add a bit to the immersion.
Edit...long day. I thought we were talking about STh for a second there. Yikes.

Actually this one near me you can hear well. Loved Deadpool's sound right next to it.

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

And then I played it.

I have to agree. Went to local brew house to play JP I took the wife, son and daughter and we all agreed not that fun. We are all beginner pinball players and all were not impressed. Maybe if I learn the code and make better shots I would have enjoyed it more. I will eventually give it another chance and as my pinball skills progress I will probably own one. I ended up purchasing a Stranger Things premium that my family and I can’t stop playing. We put more plays on that game faster then any game I own and when friends come over STh is preferred game by them. But like many have said “to each their own”.

#42 3 years ago

Not every game strikes every player's fancy. Definitely give it a few more plays if you find other examples out there, but no reason at all to expect you have to like it.

#43 3 years ago

I played a JP LE alongside a bunch of other pins, and it REALLY stood out as the one-more-game addiction. I liked the EHOH and DP a lot as well, but JP was like crack, had to keep playing it for the rush. It's tough and strangely menacing but takes pinball adventure intensity to a new level.

#44 3 years ago

The best games I've ever owned are ones that I didn't necessarily get right away... Those are the ones that usually last at home.

Quoted from Doctor6:

#45 3 years ago

The trex on the prem is a big deal. It's really fun to shoot & the shot isn't a hard one. Because of this even newbies can get the trex multiball & it's pretty exciting. My 7yro got the skill shot & trex multi on his 1st ball w/o me giving him any direction. He was already yelling, what if I beat the whole game! Even though is is easy, there so much more to keep a better player busy. I still have plenty to learn about it so I don't expect to get bored any time soon.

All that being said, I played a le about a month before purchasing my prem & thought, eh it seems OK. Not sure what the diff was

#46 3 years ago

The top 20 or so of the Pinside top 100 is nearly nothing more than people rating games as near perfect 10s to protect their $7K to $12K investments

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

The top 20 or so of the Pinside top 100 is nearly nothing more than people rating games as near perfect 10s to protect their $7K to $12K investments

I think JP should be in the top 5. It’s correct. It’s that good!

#48 3 years ago

I have a JP LE and a DP Premium in my house right now. DP is a lot of fun, but I like JP more. There is a difference in the pro vs premium/le. The LE looks great and has the best art hy far. IDK what you don't like about the sound, but it has good music. JP is not overhyped. DP was pooped on and with current code and a dialed in game, its been fun for over a year now.

#49 3 years ago

I own the game and can appreciate your post. I absolutely love my pro, and consider it a masterpiece, but some days I get so damn angry at it. Also appreciate your initial thoughts on DP, HATE the theme, but the game is instantly fun.

#50 3 years ago

I’ve played about 20 games on JP2 and I think the code is good but there’s a bit too much clunk in the game. I wish the helicopter was a bit smoother, the right loop shot was a tiny bit larger and I just struggle to hit either shot with the upper flipper. I’m probably a middle B player and I’ve ownrd and played tough games with tight shots before but for me JP2 v Houdini I feel Houdini is the winner. I like the code and the call outs more in Houdini and for whatever reason the game gels with me more

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

6,150 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Sherrill, NY
Machine - For Sale
Hutto, TX
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 16.00
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 51.45
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-um-jurassic-park?hl=snappahead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.