(Topic ID: 218436)

So uh... what happens when switch matrix shorts to lamp matrix....?

By trueno92

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by zacaj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

This is an extension of the post I have in the tech Modern sub-forum... looks like no one in there has been stupid enough to pull this off, but wait, i am.

I shorted the lamp matrix column that handles the cabinet buttons against the switch matrix for the claw handle buttons...

It was really late and i was reassembling the left handle and i kept seeing the switch matrix line light up when i tightened the handle screws all the way. if i left them a little tight, it was fine.. anyway I cranked down on it and the wires pressed through the insulation and shorted against each other - i am using led lit claw thumb buttons - next time i know to take 3 seconds and move the wires away properly...

as a result fuse f114 blew (8a) and now i have some lights in my light matrix that seem to be lighting even tho they are on separate columns in the matrix. So if ball save lights, so does the center ramp light...

ok... uh.. help?

#2 5 years ago

It's the other thing you have to worry about. U20 on the switch matrix often dies when this happens. Check all your switches.

#3 5 years ago

switches seem to be ok, they are still registering ok on the switch tests.. I will go over them again, but thanks for this.

for lamps, i have disconnected J137 and did a continuity test between pin 1 and pin 9 that correspond to the columns that seem to be lighting at the same time when i go through the bulb test... and there is no continuity between them,.

#4 5 years ago

Step one, did you fix the wires?

#5 5 years ago

I'd guess one of your lamp transistors is stuck on

#6 5 years ago

I had a South Park that had a row of lamps stuck on bright and would ghost other lamps. It was a shorted driver transistor. Different manufacturer but similar operation.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from CadillacMusic:

Step one, did you fix the wires?

I separated them from each other.

The look of disbelieve of seeing threads I just pressed into and thru the insulation must have been priceless...

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I'd guess one of your lamp transistors is stuck on

I'm hoping ur right.... now to find out which one...

So effectively the lamps on thie column are basically being driven by its correct transistor and the other one that's not turning off? But at the same time?

#9 5 years ago

Wrap 'em in electrical tape for safety's sake. Then look at your lamp matrix, as see what precisely is out. Use the lamp test to go through one by one.

#10 5 years ago

Check your entire switch matrix for ghost activations, it is possible you damaged the U20 integrated circuit on the MPU.
Next you have to test your entire lamp matrix and note deviations or incorrect lighting so you can further troubleshoot.
This is making the assumption you already reseparated the gun handles on DM so you do not have the continuing short.

Shrink wrap tube please, no electrical tape.
Buy multiple sizes, it is not that expensive.
Do repairs correctly.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

I'm hoping ur right.... now to find out which one...
So effectively the lamps on thie column are basically being driven by its correct transistor and the other one that's not turning off? But at the same time?

No, the 'correct' transistor for that column probably isn't turning off all the way. Either it or its predriver is probably bad. Take out the driver and test them all with your DMM, I'll be the transistor for that column reads bad

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 81.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-uh-what-happens-when-switch-matrix-shorts-to-lamp-matrix?hl=cycloneman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.