Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,566 posts
  • 235 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by RonSS
  • Topic is favorited by 42 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240414_120219_Facebook (resized).jpg
    DC (resized).png
    IMG_2075 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20240310_160206.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 12.28.08?PM (resized).png
    2b95d0d0677e2ab3d241e767e9efc95c (resized).jpg
    7ec9c794e441959a3bfdd28b9f54e4c2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1956 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1956 (resized).jpeg
    skynews-stonehenge-monument_4583271.jpg
    71901805018__8D280B0F-5374-4172-A7E1-23B1A2BFF38E (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0053 (resized).jpeg
    300k (resized).png
    IMG_1843 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6755 (resized).png
    a7qmZDA_460s (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

I agree, though I'd be shocked if there wasn't intelligent life on other planets. I mean we have "spaceships". It seems pretty narcissistic to think we are the smartest life form in universe.

I agree with all that. But given the massive size of the universe and the tiny time window during which Earth has hosted intelligent life, it’s highly unlikely we’ll ever get to meet ‘em. Which is just as well, I’d rather not be on the receiving end of another 1492, being “discovered” by a civilization with advanced technology tends to go very poorly for the natives.

#57 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I'm one of those people that wouldn't mind checking out an alien spaceship. As long as there a no anal-probing, of course.

Don't kid yourself bro, there's always anal probing. Always.

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

The thought I've been having lately... for there to be other intelligent life in the universe, a host planet would only need to support life for about as long as our own has. In that time, we've come very close to creating self-aware AI. AI does not have the same sort of environmental restrictions to survive.
    So long as there's been organic life for long enough to create artificial life on some other planet at some point during the history of the universe, it's practical to think that "life" could be present on a wide range of planets - much wider than the typical "goldilocks" planets to which we currently focus our interest.

Interesting thought! Advanced AI could get you around some of the obvious longevity-problems of carbon-based life. But to make it plausible that we'd actually encounter alien AI, you'd still have to address the distance problem (huge universe, hard to get very far at sub light speed).

#100 4 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Worrying about light speed is also naive. We don't even know how our own universe works. We didn't know how electricity worked 300 years ago. There could be means of travel we can't even conceive of yet. Spooky entanglement is totally a thing. How does it work? Could these underlying substructures to space time be exploited? To say space travel is limited to what we can achieve with our current combustion based propulsion methods is like Ben Franklin getting zapped by a battery and assuming it could never be harnessed into a super computer.

If you're saying no one knows for certain what the outer limits on space travel speed are in light of the laws of physics, I'll have to heartily agree with you. From my non-expert understanding, most physicists today think that based on everything we know about the universe, FTL travel is highly unlikely to work out. If we're shifting over from hard science fiction to fantasy, then wormholes, etc. could possibly provide a work-around. But I'm not so sure it's "naive" to worry about light speed travel -- if it's not possible that means we're back to a universe that in all probability is teeming with life, but is also so damned big and has such restrictive laws that unless we happen to have evolved virtually on top of each other, we can't pop over for a visit, and neither can they.

2 weeks later
    #211 4 years ago

OK, but has Joe Rogan ever covered this issue?

1 year later
    #224 3 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Eisenhower met with extraterrestrials and made an agreement in 1950s at Holloman Air Force Base.

Well if this happened, you know the deal was struck on the golf course.

#236 3 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

The government would never willingly admit the existence of ET life because then there would be something in the universe above government.
    It's the same reason communist countries ban religion.

UFOs ... the new opiate of the masses.

#241 3 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

What was the previous opiate of the masses?

According to Karl Marx, religion. But the 1840s was a long time ago, there must have been a few other opiates of the masses in between.

If you're looking for the original opiate of the masses, though, you'd have to go with opium.

#265 3 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Whenever a UFO gets its photo taken the alien captain gets chewed out by the alien admirals for violating the alien Prime Directive.

They have the technology to travel across unfathomable space and time, but still haven't developed a functional cloaking device. Inconceivable!

#338 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

It pisses off a lot of people that we have not found life anywhere else than Earth. No Algae, bacteria, not a blade of grass, nothing. This makes the Earth exceptional and supports creation.

I don't know that our failure to detect extraterrestrial life supports a creationist read on the universe, but it certainly doesn't piss me off. If we're bumping into alien life there's a decent chance of it going south for us, either through open hostility or benign incompatibility.

Of course we're still in the infancy of creating devices to observe the universe outside our atmosphere, and we've visited only a handful of other planets, so it's probably premature to conclude that Earth is a one-off. But just because of the sheer size of the universe, I still think it's unlikely humans will ever get to communicate directly with other intelligent life, even if we're one day able to detect signs of its existence.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-ufo-s-are-real-now-?tu=fosaisu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.