Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,566 posts
  • 235 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 47 hours ago by RonSS
  • Topic is favorited by 42 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240414_120219_Facebook (resized).jpg
    DC (resized).png
    IMG_2075 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20240310_160206.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 12.28.08?PM (resized).png
    2b95d0d0677e2ab3d241e767e9efc95c (resized).jpg
    7ec9c794e441959a3bfdd28b9f54e4c2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1956 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1956 (resized).jpeg
    skynews-stonehenge-monument_4583271.jpg
    71901805018__8D280B0F-5374-4172-A7E1-23B1A2BFF38E (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0053 (resized).jpeg
    300k (resized).png
    IMG_1843 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6755 (resized).png
    a7qmZDA_460s (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TRAMD.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#660 2 years ago

I just have a bachelor's degree in math and in physics so while I am not a high level expert, I do have some knowledge about space travel logistics and probability. The chance that there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is very high based on the sheer number of planets that could support life and the massive amount of time life has had to develop in most of these places. The chance that any of that alien-to-Earth intelligent life has visited this planet is ridiculously low. So low that it is laughable to consider it a possibility. While there are planets within a dozen light years from us that could harbor life, most of them will not have intelligent life living on them, let alone life that is far more advanced than we are. It is difficult to estimate, but with the Milky Way being 100,000 light years across, I don't think it would be unreasonable to assume that the closest planet with highly intelligent life is generously 1000 light years away. The inhabitants of this possible planet aren't going to just randomly travel around to planets seeing if there is life there. They would have to first establish a way to observe a planet to assure there is life there before making the extreme effort of traveling to that planet. That "communication" of that information would take 1000 years to reach them. They would be seeing our planet 1000 years in the past (that in itself isn't an argument either way; it's just interesting). Let's assume they can travel at half the speed of light. That is highly improbable but we are still going to assume that. (That's over 13,000 times the speed of the space shuttle BTW). They have also found a way to deal with the nuclear bomb+ level of destructive power that colliding with even something small at that speed would inflict on their craft. They are also able to have an onboard energy source that will allow them to survive for 2000 years in the dead of space. Unless they have found a way to be immortal or have ridiculously long life spans, we are also talking about dozens of generations living and dying in space to complete this mission. And the time slowing due to this speed of travel would be essentially irrelevant. They go to this monumental effort requiring technology that absolutely dwarfs anything we have imagined and then they get here to just fly around in some cool patterns in front of only very low resolution cameras and abduct a few hicks to anally probe them? And BTW, if you are a Kip Thorne sycophant and want to bring up "wormholes" to me...just don't. That is even less likely to be possible and IF they did (that's a BIG "IF") the level of technology needed would mean that they would have absolutely no fear of us and would stridently attempt, nay succeed, to communicate with, integrate into, study, annihilate, and/or dominate us on a large scale and their presence would be well-known across the world.

#664 2 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

My assumption is unmanned drones .. in the same realm of the space probes we use
    These things, if alien, could be probes with highly advanced artificial intelligence launched eons ago

That's an interesting thought that I (embarrassingly) didn't consider. It would make more sense.

#666 2 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

Great thread! I've always been a huge skeptic, but I love this topic. Especially now that we know the Gov't admits there are things in our restricted airspace that is far beyond our military's control. The implications of this phenomenon, are terrifying to say the least. We are not the most powerful force on the planet or even our own airspace, and apparently we never were. I think the only safe assumption is that since these UFOs possess such amazing tech, they couldn't possibly belong to either of our (US) enemies, Russia or China. We clearly would have been trounced by either one of them at this point if they had access to that level of tech.
    Since none of us peons will ever really know what it is that the most secretive parts of our government has created or discovered, I suspect these UFOs are most likely a black ops program. But If that's true, and it is one of ours, then of course that raises several other question. How did they develop such other worldly tech? What else are they capable of and why hide it from the masses? Why not let the world benefit from what would be a new dawn in human civilization? We'd be a type 1 civilization, overnight.
    With that being said, I wouldn't be shocked if it's something of this Earth, that has always been here, but is not man made. To think that we could have been sharing this planet all along with a far superior civilization would be mind blowing. I don't expect any more bombshells, but I am looking forward to the report next month. I just hope they give us some real "red meat" details in their briefing.

Or it is an intentional hoax. A government creating an atmosphere of fear by intentional false information so citizens become more reliant on said government to protect them from unknown-scary-bad-thing (and also to distract the citizens from the corrupt behavior they are engaging in) is far more likely than this being actual highly advanced technology.

#676 2 years ago
    Quoted from JMcDonald:

...humble yourselves. We're not as bright as you think... I have little doubt we'll discover a feasible method of faster-than-light travel...

This seems like a contradiction.

#696 2 years ago

Oh, to live in a world of such naivete and wonderment. To believe that life from another planet visiting us is more likely than deceptive fear-mongering by the corrupt people in government to the end of increasing control, power, and wealth. To believe that the people in government are there with the primary goal of making life better for the citizens and not just there to funnel tax dollars to themselves and their friends. Your benevolent overlords appreciate your confidence.

#699 2 years ago
    Quoted from JMcDonald:

I'm thinking you're precisely the type of person who is going to go into shock and die of a heart attack when you witness alien life firsthand, lol. Sure, hundreds of credible (highly intelligent military personnel in the know) sources around the world all reporting seeing the same 'machines' or objects behaving in the same way, and it's because they all just want us in fear. Our government is now lying to us about inexplicable machines because it would just be too hard to say China has advanced weapons we don't have a response for. No, It's much better to just tell people there are advanced machiens at least 100 to 1000 years ahead of us visiting.
    Who are the naive ones here?

I'm a scientist through and through. Sufficient evidence of Aliens? Yep, I believe in aliens visiting earth now. Sufficient evidence for a deity? Yep, I believe in God now. And so on for ghosts, bigfoot, loch ness monster, etc. Skepticism is better than credulity. It is the credulous person who is "shocked" by something seemingly unexplainable and whose thoughts go to incredible and unbelievable explanations. The skeptic takes evidence at face value and then calmly seeks a rational explanation.

EDIT: Plus, who puts "lol" after describing someone's death?

1 week later
    #856 2 years ago

I just can't take someone seriously who discounts the rational arguments of people who disagree with them as not knowing what they don't know but then makes multiple unfounded assumptions in every post they make. It has been a fine example of hypocrisy and begging the question logical fallacy, however, so I continue to follow for entertainment value.

#926 2 years ago

I truly don't understand believing that the people in government being truthful and aliens being here on Earth as more likely than the people in government lying to you as a means of covering up information and/or further gaining control through fear. Far too many of you pro-alien guys are basing your positions on the assumption that the people in government are being honest.

Also, even if I required first hand evidence of the existence of fighter jets, I have that; as if I even needed to address such a silly comparison.

#944 2 years ago
    Quoted from JMcDonald:

I truly don't understand your "logic" here.

I know you don't.

#1014 2 years ago

Guys! Barack Obama said so. He wouldn't lie to you. I'm personally convinced.

2 weeks later
    #1315 2 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Just all seems like a distraction from ppl noticing a bunch of stuff that's relevant and important ?

Quoted from DCP:

Please give us an example!!! I don't think we've missed any of the "relevant and important" stuff!

I believe he means what I said earlier in the thread: UFOs are a nothing distraction so people argue about aliens and whether they're transgender or not whilst ignoring the very real corrupt shit going on in the world involving humans, money, and power.

#1328 2 years ago

The real hubris is among those who think we and our planet are worth visiting for this imaginary species that has mastered interstellar travel. It reminds me very much of religion. Religious people can't accept how truly insignificant they are and fabricate stories of omnipotent beings that care about them and fantastical places where they live forever. That's all this space alien crap is: a new type of religious belief. There aren't, and will never be, any hyper-intelligent beings from another planet visiting Earth. We have only other humans for intelligent interaction. If you can't get along with other humans, the aliens aren't going to like you either.

#1381 2 years ago

A reasonable scientist or skeptic, like myself (I have degrees in math and physics), doesn't require absolute proof, but does tend to require better evidence than most. Evidence that makes something 90% likely to be true is better than 10% likely, and I think everyone would agree with that. That is the issue I have here. Do I know absolutely that FTL travel (or even light speed travel) is impossible? No. But it is extremely unlikely; with my (humanity's) current knowledge, FAR less than a 1% chance. Is it possible that I don't know something that would increase that probability? Almost definitely. Is it likely that that something would increase the chance to more likely than not? Probably not. But even if we assume that another species elsewhere in the universe has mastered near, at, or faster than light-speed travel. The still wouldn't mean a 100% probability that they have come here. There are many other variables that are also extremely unlikely that have to be met for that to be the case. They would have to have a star of origin close enough to get here, even with extremely fast travel. And as you make the range larger to increase this probability, you have to make the travel speed faster, thereby decreasing the probability that they have achieved such speeds. Then, they have to choose to come see us. They could presumably have many inhabited and uninhabited planets to visit. Let's assume they want to see an inhabited planet to increase the chances they come here. But why choose our planet? Either they have lots of choices (due to lots of inhabited planets) and choosing us becomes less likely or they have few choices (due to relatively few inhabited planets) and the chance that such a civilization exists in close enough proximity decreases. Then we have the probability that such a civilization would have such extraordinary technology and would use it only to spy on some hicks in a cornfield. The more you actually consider these probabilities and then consider the probability of an explanation of terrestrial origin (which is just WAY higher), the more you realize how ludicrous believing these UFOs are alien crafts is. Is it impossible? No, it's just so unlikely that it doesn't warrant real consideration by a rationally thinking person.

Many of you keep bringing up airplanes, as if people denying that we could make a craft capable of flight is the same as denying the possibility of FTL travel. That is ridiculous and shows a severe lack of ability to properly evaluate the difficult of something (by both posters here and people who thought a flying craft was impossible). There were birds that weighed "more than air" that could fly. We had a working blueprint for how this might be possible before airplanes were invented. A closer example where the airplane argument would hold more water would be against someone saying "humans will never get to Mars".

#1387 2 years ago

#1401 2 years ago
    Quoted from JMcDonald:

Umm, you're the one responding with personal attacks. Not me. You're lucky there must not be a mod interested in this thread because you are the one who repeatedly breaks the rules and is the troll.
    I "keep stating" we can't know the technology of a supreme species?? What?? PLEASE QUOTE ME DIRECTLY instead of making my words up. All I've ever suggested is that any intelligent species out there could be thousands of years ahead of us and "they" may very well have solved FTL. Once that occurs, visiting planets within 1000 light years is probably achievable.
    As others have stated, if you find this topic so upsetting and ridiculous then why do you keep posting and bumping it? Why do you keep attacking those of us trying to have a rational conversation?

You are absolutely correct. It is completely unnecessary and non-productive of me to fall to ad hominem. Please accept my apology. I don't find the topic "upsetting and ridiculous"; however, I do sometimes find the opinions of others to be ridiculous and the trust in people in government to be upsetting.

#1460 2 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

said no one ever. Dude is a clown.
    You cant argue with science based people because their entire self worth is based on being (or believing they are) smarter than you and know everything.
    They have zero ability to admit there may be things they dont know or understand.
    They will stand there yelling "show me the proof" because the alternative is that they have to admit they have no clue.

You aren't talking to the right kind of "science based people". Any true scientist will admit that there is a lot that they don't know and can't explain. And if they want to know, they investigate to find the truth or an explanation. They will frequently start with a hypothesis that is based on highest probability based on their current knowledge. What we don't like is when people create fantastical explanations that are far less likely than other explanations and act like all explanations are equally likely and all deserve equal consideration. So we want some evidence as to why the fantastical explanation deserves equal footing with a more logical and likely one. When I see something flying through the air, am I reasonable to assume that it being anti-gravity technology is equally likely to it using airfoil technology? When I see an invention on Earth, am I reasonable to assume that it being human, alien, chimpanzee, or dolphin technology are all equally likely? I would far prefer to say "I don't know" than stand cocksure behind some ludicrous supposition.

Skepticism over credulity.

#1465 2 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Guess we can end the debate, nothing on the planets closest to us that we have seen or discovered
    so nothing else in the infinite confines of space can have life

I know you are being facetious to respond to Phil, but it brings up an interesting thing I've pondered for a while. If we assume that a planet has the "right" conditions for life (at least as far as carbon based lifeforms on Earth): within the correct size, within the correct zone from the correct kind of star, etc...what is the chance that life would "spring up" there? I actually believe it is pretty high. Under the correct conditions, I think the presence of water, a favorable atmosphere, and then abiogenesis given billions of years is fairly likely because given conditions similar to what we have had on Earth, the presence of life is the rule, not the exception. So I guess what I'm saying is that with so many other planets that meet these conditions in the galaxy and universe, there is almost definitely life on MANY other planets.

#1471 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballNewb:

I agree, but think there are other pieces that need to fall into place as well for life to advance. Like having a Jupiter.

I'm intrigued. I am not aware of what factor Jupiter played but I am genuinely curious to learn.

2 weeks later
    #1579 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Because he's got it all figured out. There are no such thing as UFOs (contrary to a gazillion pictures and videos that say otherwise). No reason to discuss it.

No rational, thinking person could think UFOs don't exist, just like no rational, thinking person could think any of the UFOs are crafts from another planet. I hope they don't close this thread; it's highly entertaining and insightful for me.

#1591 2 years ago
    Quoted from JMcDonald:

And AGAIN, that was based on CURRENT knowledge and understanding. We literally have no clue what makes up 95% of the "stuff" (dark matter and dark energy) in our universe. You do understand that the Theory Of Relativity is STILL just a theory, right?? And it has NEVER been reconciled with quantum mechanics, right? We're CLEARLY missing a HUGE portion of our understanding of reality. Heck, scientists used to think we would never be able to directly oberve or detect an exoplanet because of the vastness of space, but guess what? We found a way. And (also once again) we've already had physicists predicting ways to move multiple times faster than the speed of light without even breaking the field theory equations of Einstein's theory.
    So maybe, just maybe ... we're nowhere near as bright as some of us assume we are.

And just like many of us don't know what we don't know, some of these types of arguments don't have a clear grasp on scales of difficulty and the concepts of orders of magnitude. To someone who does, these kind of arguments (like the Wright brothers argument) sound like this:
    Me: "Nobody will ever skip a rock a billion times in one throw."
    Guy: "People used to think someone would never skip a rock 30 times but at the World rock skipping contest, some guy skipped a rock 50 times! And computer models have shown how skipping one 500 times is possible!"

Quoted from JMcDonald:

... 100 light-year RADIUS (not diameter ... radius)...

I don't understand the emphasis on this. A 100 light-year radius is FAR more space than a 100 light year diameter.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TRAMD.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-ufo-s-are-real-now-?tu=TRAMD and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.