Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,566 posts
  • 235 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by RonSS
  • Topic is favorited by 42 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240414_120219_Facebook (resized).jpg
    DC (resized).png
    IMG_2075 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20240310_160206.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 12.28.08?PM (resized).png
    2b95d0d0677e2ab3d241e767e9efc95c (resized).jpg
    7ec9c794e441959a3bfdd28b9f54e4c2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1956 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1956 (resized).jpeg
    skynews-stonehenge-monument_4583271.jpg
    71901805018__8D280B0F-5374-4172-A7E1-23B1A2BFF38E (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0053 (resized).jpeg
    300k (resized).png
    IMG_1843 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6755 (resized).png
    a7qmZDA_460s (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Frax.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#63 4 years ago

As far as I'm concerned, and have decided....if there really had been or are aliens (other than the Earth ones)...we all would've known by now. There's no way that certain current elements of our government would be able to keep their mouths shut. ZERO PERCENT CHANCE.

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

hard to get very far at sub light speed

Psh...even AT light speed, you'd be talking an almost NINE YEAR round trip to the nearest star....and we're nowhere CLOSE to being able to sustain humans in space for that long, much less capable of creating a vessel and powering it and hitting a speed target anywhere but a moderate fraction of that.

Remember, as you increase velocity, you're also vastly increasing the amount of damage that things like dust and other tiny debris can do. Things like 'deflector shields' are a necessity at some point, you can't just keep making thicker and thicker plating...

#70 4 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

What about folding point A and B closer together, worm hole style?

You're assuming that what we can produce would survive the trip, which hasn't been tested, nor is there any currently known method of producing a stable wormhole, nor can we reach any place that it could be tested. For your theory to work, we'd have to be able to produce either a stable wormhole in a semi-permanent state with static entrance AND exit location, or find a naturally occuring or alien-tech-produced one. This is all infinitesimal chance of occurrence, basically to the point of not even worth wasting mental energy on. We can barely create black holes that exist for more than fractions of a second. We have no bloody clue how to make a wormhole.

We live on Earth, not in Star Trek, or on Arrakis.

As much as I love the concept of folding space (and especially Herbert's son going back and giving an origin to the spacing guild and how they got that ability), it ain't real until it's real. IDGAF what's possible 400 years from now. I'll be dead. And frankly, my money is on humanity's extinction or vast depopulation and going back to agrarian low-tech society long before any of us have a chance to permanently escape this rock.

#73 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Wonder if the aliens solved the clear coat/ink issue yet?
    That could come in handy.

Imagine the dimples from asteroids hitting you travelling at light speed. That clear is going to be THE BOMB.

Quoted from LukyDuck:

he sooner humans realize this, the sooner we can start making changes on this planet to survive.

While I am VERY glad I'll be dead before anything except maybe an oil war or two comes to pass (I guess technically we could already count both Gulf Wars, so I mean one or two major multicountry wars...not that.), I still try to at least be conscious of the decisions I'm making today.....but without government that gives a shit and a half, I really question how much it matters, especially when other people in poorer countries want (and why shouldn't they?) what we have had...money, power, prosperi...oh wait, we still don't have that last one. Oops.

#139 4 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

And even if it could be used as tech behind teleportation, even if they could reassemble you somewhere else, it's lights out for the original you, even if the copy thinks he's always been you.

Oh man, I love this debate. Let's go over again how there's been about 20,000 Captain Picards in the run of STTNG!

#140 4 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

Not debating for the sake of debating, but just playing devil's advocate, that each of these have a plausible explanation beyond a visitor from outer space using alien technology.

I love how you got downvoted for basically saying "Occam's Razor". Still doesn't beat me getting kicked out of a jury pool for defining it during voir dire though.

Classic Pinside.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Frax.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-ufo-s-are-real-now-?tu=Frax and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.