Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,559 posts
  • 235 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by RonSS
  • Topic is favorited by 42 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DC (resized).png
    IMG_2075 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20240310_160206.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 12.28.08?PM (resized).png
    2b95d0d0677e2ab3d241e767e9efc95c (resized).jpg
    7ec9c794e441959a3bfdd28b9f54e4c2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1956 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1956 (resized).jpeg
    skynews-stonehenge-monument_4583271.jpg
    71901805018__8D280B0F-5374-4172-A7E1-23B1A2BFF38E (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0053 (resized).jpeg
    300k (resized).png
    IMG_1843 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6755 (resized).png
    a7qmZDA_460s (resized).jpg
    IMG_6709 (resized).jpeg

There are 2,559 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 52.
    #1451 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballNewb:

Don’t over think it. You dead will be just like before you were born.

That’s for sure. Work hard, play hard, sleep…errr…hard.

And poop often. Not like, all the time; but you know, twice? A day?

I’m off the rails here. Ok, you can moderate me now. G Zus…

#1452 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballNewb:

Don’t over think it. You dead will be just like before you were born.

In some ways but not in others perhaps.

Don't overthink it seems like fair advice, on balance.

#1453 2 years ago
    Quoted from JMcDonald:

Huh? I'm not aware of Hubble EVER contributing information (much less concrete information) on "planetary characteristics" outside of our own solar system.

Read this if you're interested in knowing how Hubble has contributed to the study of planets in other solar systems:
    https://hubblesite.org/science/exoplanets

#1454 2 years ago
    Quoted from DCP:

Read this if you're interested in knowing how Hubble has contributed to the study of planets in other solar systems:

Excellent Article, going to read it again tomorrow morning, thanks!

#1455 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Use the drain button. Nobody here is offended so perhaps this isn't the thread for you. Just a bunch of intelligent guys with differing opinions having an intelligent and (mostly) uninflammatory discussion.

Really makes certain types stand out when they can't seem to comprehend the section title is actually specifically not about pinball. Off topic means "not pinball" to anyone with reason and comprehension. Last resorts to end discussion beyond a certain capacity, and cry "wrong think" with no reasoning, probably lucky not to see a vacuous cancel mob here bent on burning the room down, destruction, with no reason at all. Anyway woke the reckless fragile mob now so better behave ourselves and self censor a bit better an make like to be (pseudo)-"progressive"...

#1456 2 years ago
    Quoted from JMcDonald:

Huh? I'm not aware of Hubble EVER contributing information (much less concrete information) on "planetary characteristics" outside of our own solar system. Never (inside our solar system, of course). If you have a link to an article or other information I'd be interested in reading more.

Quoted from DCP:

Interesting read.

I don't get the downvote by JM though, for providing something that was actually invited by JM?.

Don't shoot the messenger? :3

Maybe, is it using "knowing"?

"Knowing" is a strong word. Gets overused a fair bit, like "fact". Lol

#1457 2 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Interesting read.
    I don't get the downvote by JM though, for providing something that was actually invited by JM?.
    Don't shoot the messenger? :3
    Maybe, is it using "knowing"?

In poker, it’s known as a tell.

#1458 2 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

"Probably", "possibly","maybe", "suggests", "allegedly", "reportedly", all get overused, too. We get numb to those words and forget that they mean "the complete facts are not known yet", and "here are some of our guesses". Our government is well aware of our numbness to those words, and uses them often when discussing any controversial topic to allow themselves to weasel out of anything they say.
    Another one that gets overused as a disclaimer is "based on". A story that says it was "based on" a real story or another work of fiction doesn't have to contain any facts at all, and it doesn't have to depict the story in the same way as the original. Any sort of real or fictional details can be added to make the story more interesting.
    A recent example is the "Project Blue Book" TV series, which is "based on the UFO investigations of Dr. J. Allen Hynek". Almost every detail in that series is either fictional or is a mishmash of stories from many sources. The way that they throw real names around gives it a ring of authenticity, but you won't learn anything about the real Project Blue Book or Dr. Hynek by watching that show.

AidenGillenBasedOnHynek (resized).pngAidenGillenBasedOnHynek (resized).pngTheRealHynekInCloseEncounters (resized).pngTheRealHynekInCloseEncounters (resized).png
    #1459 2 years ago

Some of the unexplained things from the government report.

#1460 2 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

said no one ever. Dude is a clown.
    You cant argue with science based people because their entire self worth is based on being (or believing they are) smarter than you and know everything.
    They have zero ability to admit there may be things they dont know or understand.
    They will stand there yelling "show me the proof" because the alternative is that they have to admit they have no clue.

You aren't talking to the right kind of "science based people". Any true scientist will admit that there is a lot that they don't know and can't explain. And if they want to know, they investigate to find the truth or an explanation. They will frequently start with a hypothesis that is based on highest probability based on their current knowledge. What we don't like is when people create fantastical explanations that are far less likely than other explanations and act like all explanations are equally likely and all deserve equal consideration. So we want some evidence as to why the fantastical explanation deserves equal footing with a more logical and likely one. When I see something flying through the air, am I reasonable to assume that it being anti-gravity technology is equally likely to it using airfoil technology? When I see an invention on Earth, am I reasonable to assume that it being human, alien, chimpanzee, or dolphin technology are all equally likely? I would far prefer to say "I don't know" than stand cocksure behind some ludicrous supposition.

Skepticism over credulity.

#1461 2 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Beginning to doubt the Classic "ET".
    Look closely at the Planets/ Comets/Moons we have photographed.
    No Trees, Weeds, Grass/ Kiss my ass..
    Sorry about that,working on a Song. Anyway, there is nothing growing.
    No Lichen Moss, nothing. Just another rock outpost, hot or cold.
    Why?
    There should be SOMETHING crawling around or infesting flora/fauna.
    Organisms have been found on Earth in the hottest/coldest environments.
    In this most perfect Spacial environment for life there should be leftovers,maybe Mars, Venus, or Saturn as well as the Moon.
    Maybe primitive crawly things or bio-sludge. Nothing, just rocks and dust.

Guess we can end the debate, nothing on the planets closest to us that we have seen or discovered
    so nothing else in the infinite confines of space can have life

#1462 2 years ago

This site has a lot of good historical material on UFOs: http://www.cufos.org
    I had visited there awhile ago while looking for material on my Dad (William T. "Bill" Powers) and Dr. Hynek (Dad's boss through the 1960s and early 70s).

This is a link to a PDF on that site containing some interesting letters from 1966-67 by Hynek, Dad, and Dr. Phillip Klaas mostly referring to the Lonnie Zamora incident from 1964 at Socorro, NM.
    http://www.cufos.org/1965_04_24_Socorro/1964_04_24_US_NM_Socorro_CUFOS_Hynek-Powers-Klass_Corresp.pdf
    I think Dad's and Hynek's letters do a good job of illustrating some of the thought processes that went on during those 1960s UFO investigations. I think they explain their scientific, skeptical yet open-minded views very well in these letters.

The official stance of the Air Force in 1966 was that all UFOs were explainable, and none were unidentified. This was contradicted by many "unofficial" sources like UFO investigators who said that some of the phenomena remained unexplained. The Zamora incident was one of the earliest reports that was generally considered to be a credible report that was unexplainable. There were many newspaper articles about it at the time.

#1463 2 years ago

Why spend all this money on something we can't comprehend? Sink the money into improving our communities instead.

#1464 2 years ago

Rant: Instead of space for 4 minutes RB
    Focus on the rainforests that are being pillaged on a daily basis. Our environment is collapsing around us in a very short time humans have known to exist.

#1465 2 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Guess we can end the debate, nothing on the planets closest to us that we have seen or discovered

I know you are being facetious to respond to Phil, but it brings up an interesting thing I've pondered for a while. If we assume that a planet has the "right" conditions for life (at least as far as carbon based lifeforms on Earth): within the correct size, within the correct zone from the correct kind of star, etc...what is the chance that life would "spring up" there? I actually believe it is pretty high. Under the correct conditions, I think the presence of water, a favorable atmosphere, and then abiogenesis given billions of years is fairly likely because given conditions similar to what we have had on Earth, the presence of life is the rule, not the exception. So I guess what I'm saying is that with so many other planets that meet these conditions in the galaxy and universe, there is almost definitely life on MANY other planets.

#1466 2 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

I know you are being facetious to respond to Phil, but it brings up an interesting thing I've pondered for a while. If we assume that a planet has the "right" conditions for life (at least as far as carbon based lifeforms on Earth): within the correct size, within the correct zone from the correct kind of star, etc...what is the chance that life would "spring up" there? I actually believe it is pretty high. Under the correct conditions, I think the presence of water, a favorable atmosphere, and then abiogenesis given billions of years is fairly likely because given conditions similar to what we have had on Earth, the presence of life is the rule, not the exception. So I guess what I'm saying is that with so many other planets that meet these conditions in the galaxy and universe, there is almost definitely life on MANY other planets.

I read "The Story of Earth: The First 4.5 Billion Years, from Stardust to Living Planet" a year or so ago, and it talks all about how the planet formed, how life formed and progressed to what we know today. It's pretty fascinating stuff. The Great Oxidation Event was a game changer. Oxygen was necessary for life to evolve.

It's highly likely Venus and/or Mars was similar to Earth billions of years ago, and also likely Earth will become like them billions of years from now if we lose our atmosphere. Water vapor is lost to space constantly, so wouldn't that mean at some point there's no water left on Earth? I don't know what replenishes it if anything. Supposedly it was deposited on Earth early on from comets and asteroids, but that's sure a lot of comets to fill the oceans.

#1467 2 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

You are welcome to enter your thoughts on the "nothing thread" I have tried hard to have the thread shut down. My argument is nothing is something and we in fact in nothing right now.

#1468 2 years ago

Phil Lee stumbled and didn't realise math is spatial. Street cred lowered. Could be a crazy poet.

#1469 2 years ago

There is 360 degrees in every direction

#1470 2 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

I agree, but think there are other pieces that need to fall into place as well for life to advance. Like having a Jupiter.

#1471 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballNewb:

I agree, but think there are other pieces that need to fall into place as well for life to advance. Like having a Jupiter.

I'm intrigued. I am not aware of what factor Jupiter played but I am genuinely curious to learn.

#1472 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

You are welcome to enter your thoughts on the "nothing thread" I have tried hard to have the thread shut down. My argument is nothing is something and we in fact in nothing right now.

Has there been drinky poos again there mate? ha ha

I might well agree though!!

#1473 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballNewb:

Quoted from TRAMD:

I'm intrigued. I am not aware of what factor Jupiter played but I am genuinely curious to learn.

Me three!?

#1474 2 years ago

Thought this might make you laugh Razor ...just got back from the beer store and the girls at the cash texted my wife!!!

#1476 2 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Has there been drinky poos again there mate? ha ha
    I might well agree though!!

Quoted from jim Lahey of "trailer park boys" better comedy than shitts creek imo

#1477 2 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

Same here..thought Mabey I'm not worthy. Here to learn.

#1478 2 years ago

Mabey Phil Lee are connected somehow galacticly. ..is that not a piece of Bacon on top of his vintage bycicle?

#1479 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Mabey Phil Lee are connected somehow galacticly. ..is that not a piece of Bacon on top of his vintage bycicle?

Not sure what the vintage cycle called elsewhere, but here that is a "Penny Farthing" !?

The more you know Lol

In interests of not off topic posting, I point this out because they don't fly and as far as I am aware have never been the cause of any UFO sightings .... unless maybe E.T. hijacked one that had a basket!?

Anyway don't ask why, answer would be o/t... we could take it to the currency section lol

Also the bacon hypothesis is interesting ..... but it kinda looks like a roof? . I never seen one with a roof before!

pennyfarthingracesStrathalbyn (resized).pngpennyfarthingracesStrathalbyn (resized).png

We used to watch these crazy old guys racing them when I was a kid. Seen some spectacular accidents

How about the old bloke there ahead of the three semi-pros Lol ... Great beer beard and look mum no helmet! Ha ha

#1480 2 years ago

Would it matter? We can't get there.
    What we need is a new Earth-like planet, so we can harvest natural resources and make trillions at the expense of the inhabitants.
    Evidently it is too difficult to fix the mess we have made of our planet.
    I am certain it is depressing to many we are trapped here with no other options save dead, over hot or freezing planets/moons with no breathable atmosphere or vegetation.
    The good news , Industrialist wish to mine astroids,comets and the moon for valuable minerals.
    So these "Good" habital planets light years away are facinating and worthy of research for knowledge sake and entertainment but they offer no viable escape from Earth.
    On Earth life is the rule
    Everywhere else life is the exception until proof is provided.

#1481 2 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Free will man. I’m not religious but I believe in one ideal. Nature. Nothing goes to waste in it.
    With that being said, think about this.
    All of our feelings, thoughts, fears, loves, hates, general experiences from birth to death. That all just, goes away? Poof. Just grey matter electrons. That would be a waste. I have no concept of where our collective life energies we lived will go, but to just fade to black and that’s it? Nah. Genetic life experience handed down? Yes. Evidence of that. But the essence of YOU? That’s a lot of energy spent on nothing if death is final. Never been to church and I come from a broken family, so no misguided teachings of preconceived ideals.
    Something in me truly believes my best experiences are after death. No idea why or how.

Why is that so hard to believe? If we are made of stars...why is it so hard to believe that we just cease to exist and our body is spread around. Energy is not created or destroyed, it just changes forms....but that doesn't equal a constructed form(like a body or soul).
    Just because something is important or meant something to you...doesn't mean that it's important on a grand scale. Sometimes there is no meaning in the things that happen. You can say free will, but religious folks often use that and "god's plan" at the same time. Logically you can't have it both ways.

I guess if it comforts you...go for it. There's just no evidence for it, and the philosophical nature of this below, also means nothing. Emotions aren't facts as much as we feel and experience them.

"All of our feelings, thoughts, fears, loves, hates, general experiences from birth to death. That all just, goes away? Poof. Just grey matter electrons. That would be a waste. I have no concept of where our collective life energies we lived will go, but to just fade to black and that’s it?"

#1482 2 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Everywhere else life is the exception until proof is provided.

So it wouldn't have still been not the exception (prior to the proof) after the proof were provided?

Just that you make it seem like it is the proof that makes something suddenly exist that didn't before, instead of it previously existing, and then merely being proven.

#1483 2 years ago
    Quoted from Teamhex:

... Sometimes there is no meaning in the things that happen. You can say free will, but religious folks often use that and "god's plan" at the same time. Logically you can't have it both ways. ....

What if "god's plan" hypothetically, or the "alien's plan" (semantic storyline potentially) was just "let the kids do what they want, I just wanna see if they destroy themselves or stand up."

Then it would be both ways, by the sounds ?

Fair assessment though yeah; facts do not care about your feelings! lol

#1484 2 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

So it wouldn't have still been not the exception (prior to the proof) after the proof were provided?
    Just that you make it seem like it is the proof that makes something suddenly exist that didn't before, instead of it previously existing, and then merely being proven.

All I hear is "probably, may have, could be, most certainly could have, more than likely is, possibly, supposedly highly likely.

Schrodingers cat would be proud of your theory

#1485 2 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

All I hear is "probably, may have, could be, most certainly could have, more than likely is, possibly, supposedly highly likely.

What word would you use? . Definitely? . Absolutely?

Are you referring to something other than science?

You do get some of the concepts from schrodingers cat, don't you?

#1486 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Quoted from jim Lahey of "trailer park boys" better comedy than shitts creek imo

Anyway it is true I think that the Nothing Thread is literally a contradiction, if it contains any posts, about anything Lol

Post there, with Anything... off topic!

*oops soz off-topic

#1487 2 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

What word would you use? . Definitely? . Absolutely?
    Are you referring to something other than science?
    You do get some of the concepts from schrodingers cat, don't you?

So-called Scientist are using these terms. Above posts from the science crowd are full of these disclaimers.
    Your Theory came straight from the cat.

#1488 2 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

That cat is half dead anyway...

#1489 2 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

That cat is half dead anyway...

... "was" sitting on the fence.

lol

Quoted from phil-lee:

So-called Scientist are using these terms. Above posts from the science crowd are full of these disclaimers.
    Your Theory came straight from the cat.

Indeed. But it isn't as straight forward as what I put, of course. I get what you meant now. The way I was looking was I'm assuming the lid has not been opened yet.

Still just as much chance of E.T. intelligent life as none, imho. I suppose my view might change one way or another if the lid got opened to me... but still, uh, what was the question again? Lol

Is the cat alive? ... or is the cat even in there?

Also happening everywhere ... randomly "changing" the definition of all kinds of words. Or making up made up nonsense words for pretend things. :3

Then using it for gaslighting and anti learning.

#1490 2 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/how-jupiter-may-have-gifted-early-earth-water-180969411/

For a long time I think the prevailing theory was that Jupiter (and Saturn) acted as a protector of sorts from space debris. Recent theories have actually turned that upside down.

#1491 2 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Oh, no, admitedly that is even more information than I was aware of (that Hubble was used for in planet hunting) but it's still next to nothing (when you're looking for direct evidence of plant life). A handful of planet obvervations and "possible" characteristics? And certainly not direct photographic evidence (beyond the technical capture of direct visible light of the one). That was my 'down vote'.
    To read Phil's comment "everywhere we look .. just rocks" I think you need to put that into perspective. We've "looked" almost NOWHERE, lol (albeit we're trying and getting better). We have only clear photographs of planets in our own solar system and as I noted, we're the only planet in the habitable zone of our particular solar system. Additionally, the habitable zone is defined as the range from the a given sun where a planet could potentially have liquid water on its' surface (among other factors) but that doesn't mean life (even plant life) may not exist elsewhere in a solar system. We now know there are other heating processes (radioactive decay, tidal processes, thermal vents, etc) that could also create the necessary elements for life as we know it. We know Jupiter's moon Europa (for example) has a liquid water ocean well below its' surface ... but we have NO idea what kind of life might be down there. Could be all kinds!
    So the point is, we have just barely even opened our eyes so to state "everywhere we look ..." just seems a bit odd to say when you realize how incredibly little we've been able to look at. Scientists now believe there are tens of billions of stars in our Milky Way alone (up to 100 billion stars!) and each one of those may have on average 7 to 10 planets and each one of those could have countless moons.

#1492 2 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

What if "god's plan" hypothetically, or the "alien's plan" (semantic storyline potentially) was just "let the kids do what they want, I just wanna see if they destroy themselves or stand up."
    Then it would be both ways, by the sounds ?
    Fair assessment though yeah; facts do not care about your feelings! lol

I guess that would be A plan of sorts. I think when people say that, they use it for the little things in life. Like the things a deity is likely not interested in or actively controlling. Like the weather, or when someone dies. I suppose you can use it on a grand scale like that. That's a good question though man, even if you have freewill...are you apart of someone else's plan? Mind Blown

#1493 2 years ago

Ricky Gervais is an atheist, and when he appears on The Late Show w Stephen Colbert, who is a devout Catholic, they like to banter back and forth about whether or not there is a God, heaven, etc.

Ricky said this to him once - "Let's say you were to erase all of mankind's history today. A thousand years from now, we'd pretty much be right back where we are. Electricity would be discovered again, metallurgy, medicines, the sciences - it would all be the same. Everything except religion."

And Stephen was quiet for a few seconds, and said ".....I don't have an answer to that........"

#1494 2 years ago

Sure there's a god...BC digging up more indigenous graves.

#1495 2 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:Anyway it is true I think that the Nothing Thread is literally a contradiction, if it contains any posts, about anything Lol
    Post there, with Anything... off topic!

*oops soz off-topic

Is that not a slice of bacon over that Bike?
    Not that it matters or relevant to the thread. Just my mind is wandering .

#1496 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Ricky Gervais is an atheist, and when he appears on The Late Show w Stephen Colbert, who is a devout Catholic, they like to banter back and forth about whether or not there is a God, heaven, etc.
    Ricky said this to him once - "Let's say you were to erase all of mankind's history today. A thousand years from now, we'd pretty much be right back where we are. Electricity would be discovered again, metallurgy, medicines, the sciences - it would all be the same. Everything except religion."
    And Stephen was quiet for a few seconds, and said ".....I don't have an answer to that........"

My guess is there would still be some sort of religion, people find comfort in explanations for things that can't be explained/understood

#1497 2 years ago

My guess is there would still be some sort of religion, people find comfort in explanations for things that can't be explained/understood

And probably all the same problems that come along with it. Which begs the question, just how likely are other potential interstellar beings to get over the hump of not exterminating themselves before realizing the potential of interstellar travel?

With the path humanity is on, do you really think we will make it to the point of becoming interstellar travelers ourselves? Whether FTL and other technological breakthroughs is even possible becomes a moot point if as a species we would rather kill each other than work together to achieve such goals. Does anyone foresee an enlightening?

#1498 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballNewb:

And probably all the same problems that come along with it. Which begs the question, just how likely are other potential interstellar beings to get over the hump of not exterminating themselves before realizing the potential of interstellar travel?

We're not even sure if we are the first industrialized civilization here on Earth! Most people just assume we are. Think about that, lol. It's plausible several have failed before us right here on Earth.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/04/are-we-earths-only-civilization/557180/

#1499 2 years ago
    Quoted from JMcDonald:

.... It's plausible several have failed before us right here on Earth....

Also, plausibly Not failed!??

#1500 2 years ago

How exactly do humans connect to the jurassic period again? ... ..no mention of a god riding a T REX in scriptures or dead Sea scrolls??

There are 2,559 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 52.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-ufo-s-are-real-now-/page/30 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.