Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,566 posts
  • 235 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 days ago by RonSS
  • Topic is favorited by 42 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240414_120219_Facebook (resized).jpg
    DC (resized).png
    IMG_2075 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20240310_160206.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 12.28.08?PM (resized).png
    2b95d0d0677e2ab3d241e767e9efc95c (resized).jpg
    7ec9c794e441959a3bfdd28b9f54e4c2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1956 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1956 (resized).jpeg
    skynews-stonehenge-monument_4583271.jpg
    71901805018__8D280B0F-5374-4172-A7E1-23B1A2BFF38E (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0053 (resized).jpeg
    300k (resized).png
    IMG_1843 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6755 (resized).png
    a7qmZDA_460s (resized).jpg
    There are 2,566 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 52.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from aingide:

Yep. People were seeing hovering black triangle UFOs for years, then the government revealed the B-2 bomber—a hovering black triangle.

A B-2 bomber can 'hover'????

I have been fascinated by the UFO phenomenon since Project UFO aired in 1978.

To those interested, check out the 'Blue Planet Project'.

#52 4 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Maybe the Aliens have some nano-machine clearcoat technology the pinball industry could steal

Whatever they have, it seems to protect them when entering the atmosphere of Uranus.

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I agree with all that. But given the massive size of the universe and the tiny time window during which Earth has hosted intelligent life, it’s highly unlikely we’ll ever get to meet ‘em. Which is just as well, I’d rather not be on the receiving end of another 1492, being “discovered” by a civilization with advanced technology tends to go very poorly for the natives.

The thought I've been having lately... for there to be other intelligent life in the universe, a host planet would only need to support life for about as long as our own has. In that time, we've come very close to creating self-aware AI. AI does not have the same sort of environmental restrictions to survive.

So long as there's been organic life for long enough to create artificial life on some other planet at some point during the history of the universe, it's practical to think that "life" could be present on a wide range of planets - much wider than the typical "goldilocks" planets to which we currently focus our interest.

#54 4 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

The thought I've been having lately... for there to be other intelligent life in the universe, a host planet would only need to support life for about as long as our own has. In that time, we've come very close to creating self-aware AI. AI does not have the same sort of environmental restrictions to survive.
    So long as there's been organic life for long enough to create artificial life on some other planet at some point during the history of the universe, it's practical to think that "life" could be present on a wide range of planets - much wider than the typical "goldilocks" planets to which we currently focus our interest.

I'm sure that there is life on other planets it's just the distances between them that creates a problem for me as far as aliens go.

#55 4 years ago
    AEE95BD4-1366-49F0-A07D-D19FD2B9CF4F (resized).jpegAEE95BD4-1366-49F0-A07D-D19FD2B9CF4F (resized).jpeg
    #57 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I'm one of those people that wouldn't mind checking out an alien spaceship. As long as there a no anal-probing, of course.

Don't kid yourself bro, there's always anal probing. Always.

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Interesting thought! Advanced AI could get you around some of the obvious longevity-problems of carbon-based life. But to make it plausible that we'd actually encounter alien AI, you'd still have to address the distance problem (huge universe, hard to get very far at sub light speed).

#59 4 years ago

The universe was spinning 8 billion years before our planet even formed. We went from hunter-gatherers to visiting Pluto in just tens of thousands of years. 99% of mankind's technology has been created in just the last few hundred years.

Imagine what a civilization could achieve with even a 100,000 years head start on us. Then consider they could have BILLIONS of years head start.

I think the opinion that no civilization could last that long without destroying themselves is close minded. That's assuming a closed system. Easter Island is a good example of this. So is a planet.

But if we could travel the stars such problems as politics, famine, war would be inconsequential. Also spreading your race across worlds would increase your chance of survival not limit it. Pretty much all our issues stem from resources. Space travel, hell even mining asteroids would solve a lot of that. Imagine claiming not just a continent but entire planets.

Worrying about light speed is also naive. We don't even know how our own universe works. We didn't know how electricity worked 300 years ago. There could be means of travel we can't even conceive of yet. Spooky entanglement is totally a thing. How does it work? Could these underlying substructures to space time be exploited?

To say space travel is limited to what we can achieve with our current combustion based propulsion methods is like Ben Franklin getting zapped by a battery and assuming it could never be harnessed into a super computer.

#60 4 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

But if we could travel the stars such problems as politics, famine, war would be inconsequential.

Yet somehow humans would mess that up. We can’t even get along on a pinball forum let alone not want to take our opinions and points of view across those very stars. If their is intelligent life out there, I hope it’s more intelligent than us.

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from Orko:

I hope it’s more intelligent than us.

Don’t you mean intelligenterer than us?

#62 4 years ago

I’ve always wondered why there isn’t any alien space junk on the moon. Just ours. Why wouldn’t aliens use the moon as a base or a junkyard. Shy little creatures if they exist.

#63 4 years ago

As far as I'm concerned, and have decided....if there really had been or are aliens (other than the Earth ones)...we all would've known by now. There's no way that certain current elements of our government would be able to keep their mouths shut. ZERO PERCENT CHANCE.

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

hard to get very far at sub light speed

Psh...even AT light speed, you'd be talking an almost NINE YEAR round trip to the nearest star....and we're nowhere CLOSE to being able to sustain humans in space for that long, much less capable of creating a vessel and powering it and hitting a speed target anywhere but a moderate fraction of that.

Remember, as you increase velocity, you're also vastly increasing the amount of damage that things like dust and other tiny debris can do. Things like 'deflector shields' are a necessity at some point, you can't just keep making thicker and thicker plating...

#65 4 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

The universe was spinning 8 billion years before our planet even formed. We went from hunter-gatherers to visiting Pluto in just tens of thousands of years. 99% of mankind's technology has been created in just the last few hundred years.
    Imagine what a civilization could achieve with even a 100,000 years head start on us. Then consider they could have BILLIONS of years head start.
    I think the opinion that no civilization could last that long without destroying themselves is close minded. That's assuming a closed system. Easter Island is a good example of this. So is a planet.
    But if we could travel the stars such problems as politics, famine, war would be inconsequential. Also spreading your race across worlds would increase your chance of survival not limit it. Pretty much all our issues stem from resources. Space travel, hell even mining asteroids would solve a lot of that. Imagine claiming not just a continent but entire planets.
    Worrying about light speed is also naive. We don't even know how our own universe works. We didn't know how electricity worked 300 years ago. There could be means of travel we can't even conceive of yet. Spooky entanglement is totally a thing. How does it work? Could these underlying substructures to space time be exploited?
    To say space travel is limited to what we can achieve with our current combustion based propulsion methods is like Ben Franklin getting zapped by a battery and assuming it could never be harnessed into a super computer.

Space aliens communicate to us when we’re high on DMT. I thought everyone knew that?

#66 4 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

The equally, if not more likely outcome is that they could be incredibly dumb. I think Idiocracy was onto something, at least as far as things may go on this planet...

#67 4 years ago

Here to share culinary delights

kanamit (resized).jpgkanamit (resized).jpg
    #68 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Psh...even AT light speed, you'd be talking an almost NINE YEAR round trip to the nearest star....and we're nowhere CLOSE to being able to sustain humans in space for that long, much less capable of creating a vessel and powering it and hitting a speed target anywhere but a moderate fraction of that.
    Remember, as you increase velocity, you're also vastly increasing the amount of damage that things like dust and other tiny debris can do. Things like 'deflector shields' are a necessity at some point, you can't just keep making thicker and thicker plating...

What about folding point A and B closer together, worm hole style?

#69 4 years ago

I actually came across one of those cylindrical things doing maneuvers in Nevada back in 1992. They’ve been here a while......

#70 4 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

What about folding point A and B closer together, worm hole style?

You're assuming that what we can produce would survive the trip, which hasn't been tested, nor is there any currently known method of producing a stable wormhole, nor can we reach any place that it could be tested. For your theory to work, we'd have to be able to produce either a stable wormhole in a semi-permanent state with static entrance AND exit location, or find a naturally occuring or alien-tech-produced one. This is all infinitesimal chance of occurrence, basically to the point of not even worth wasting mental energy on. We can barely create black holes that exist for more than fractions of a second. We have no bloody clue how to make a wormhole.

We live on Earth, not in Star Trek, or on Arrakis.

As much as I love the concept of folding space (and especially Herbert's son going back and giving an origin to the spacing guild and how they got that ability), it ain't real until it's real. IDGAF what's possible 400 years from now. I'll be dead. And frankly, my money is on humanity's extinction or vast depopulation and going back to agrarian low-tech society long before any of us have a chance to permanently escape this rock.

#71 4 years ago

Wonder if the aliens solved the clear coat/ink issue yet?

That could come in handy.

#72 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

The equally, if not more likely outcome is that they could be incredibly dumb. I think Idiocracy was onto something, at least as far as things may go on this planet...

We are already at the beginning of Idiocracy. Just look at the world today. Humans, stuck on this planet, will be lucky to make it another 1000 years. The ones that do, will long for our time period. Fresh air, clean water and lots of food and not overly populated yet.

UFO’s have always been real. That’s why they are Unidentified Flying Objects.

Any intelligent creatures that are capable of traveling across the universe are not coming anywhere near this planet for fear of becoming a lab rat. They would communicate with us first, from a very long distance.

While I would love to believe humans could invent a ship that could travel across the stars, our bodies may never be able to survive the trip. We are designed to live on earth and only earth. The sooner humans realize this, the sooner we can start making changes on this planet to survive.

#73 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Wonder if the aliens solved the clear coat/ink issue yet?
    That could come in handy.

Imagine the dimples from asteroids hitting you travelling at light speed. That clear is going to be THE BOMB.

Quoted from LukyDuck:

he sooner humans realize this, the sooner we can start making changes on this planet to survive.

While I am VERY glad I'll be dead before anything except maybe an oil war or two comes to pass (I guess technically we could already count both Gulf Wars, so I mean one or two major multicountry wars...not that.), I still try to at least be conscious of the decisions I'm making today.....but without government that gives a shit and a half, I really question how much it matters, especially when other people in poorer countries want (and why shouldn't they?) what we have had...money, power, prosperi...oh wait, we still don't have that last one. Oops.

#74 4 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

I’ve always wondered why there isn’t any alien space junk on the moon. Just ours. Why wouldn’t aliens use the moon as a base or a junkyard. Shy little creatures if they exist.

...because there are trillions-of-trillions of moons in the universe.

#75 4 years ago

I've seen a couple back in the early eighties in Colorado.I wasn't alone.Nothing could move that fast or change directions like that.Not a cloud in the sky.People stopped on 1-90 to watch.I was in the military at the time and familiar with most aircraft.Yeah they've been checking us out but I really don't think it would be good if they showed up in force for our resources.

#76 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Imagine the dimples from asteroids hitting you travelling at light speed. That clear is going to be THE BOMB.

30 trillion light year warranty, black holes void warranty. Owner responsible for labor charges incurred for outer hull swap.

#77 4 years ago

Put the glasses on! Put them on!

#78 4 years ago

No ones gonna comment on the dimpling that UAP had on its clear coat? Only traveled through space dust for 2 light years and looks awful already!

#79 4 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I agree with all that. But given the massive size of the universe and the tiny time window during which Earth has hosted intelligent life, it’s highly unlikely we’ll ever get to meet ‘em. Which is just as well, I’d rather not be on the receiving end of another 1492, being “discovered” by a civilization with advanced technology tends to go very poorly for the natives.

But, when the aliens do colonize earth and give us natives their form of alien syphilis, we'll be prepared to retaliate in overwhelming force by forcing them to play Stern Supreme.

#80 4 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Who says there isn't? The monolith in 2001 was buried beneath the lunar surface, specifically because man was meant to eventually find it.

#81 4 years ago

Of I'm not mistaken, encounters such as the Nimitz, show physics beyond our ability. Way beyond.

So alien or black ops, apparently this type of propulsion is possible.

Why are we burning fossil fuel again?

#82 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Why are we burning fossil fuel again?

lobbyists?

#83 4 years ago

Im a believer but just need a close encounter of the third kind to complete the experience

681C8297-2CFA-4F1A-BCA6-97031D5869F4 (resized).jpeg681C8297-2CFA-4F1A-BCA6-97031D5869F4 (resized).jpeg
    #85 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

My cat is an alien.

I Have 3 cats and yes i say there aliens lol Seriously how can anyone in there right mind say there is nothing other our plant ? in space.... Space is endless

#86 4 years ago

Some of you younger guys may not have heard about the Phoenix Lights. It was 1997 and it was quite a story at the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Lights

"Lights of varying descriptions were seen by thousands of people ..."

Not one or two people saw this. Thousands of people saw. Lots of witnesses.

#87 4 years ago

Mama Mia!

#88 4 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

" If we could travel the stars..." That's a mighty big "if". NASA, in a bid to keep itself useful enough to keep getting that government money wants me to believe that there may just be a habitable planet for us. The problem: It is 31 light years away.

Your proposition requires that we get to them before they get to us. The late Stephen Hawking postulated that any space travelers who found us would be looking to plunder our resources and make slaves of us.

Wherever world travelers have moved from the old world to the new, they rape, loot, kill, and plunder. Our grade school history books make light of how new world countries were plundered. Instead, we were given Columbus Day. All of that gold treasure from those sunken Spanish galleons was all of the gold the Spaniards looted from the South American peoples that were enslaved to dig the gold from the mines.

#89 4 years ago

So these planes had just been upgraded to new imaging systems and they were seeing weird shit that the pilots couldn't see with the naked eye? Anybody familiar with flying rods? These are otherworldly creatures to some, and flying bugs as seen through a slow ass digital camera to the rest of us.

#90 4 years ago

Optical illusion of some sort. Shirley if it wasn't , that video never would'hve seen the light of day.

#91 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Some of you younger guys may not have heard about the Phoenix Lights.

I remember them. They were 100mm long, had filters and came in regular and menthol.

#92 4 years ago

They're back. They aren't stupid either.

DSCN6434 (resized).JPGDSCN6434 (resized).JPG
    #93 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

They're back. They aren't stupid either.[quoted image]

I have them guarding my garden.

#94 4 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

I remember them. They were 100mm long, had filters and came in regular and menthol.

I thought you were the one who would walk a mile for camel

#95 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

I have them guarding my garden.

They may be advancing at a high rate, you say they are guarding your garden, well I think I seen one pushing a mower also.

#96 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

" If we could travel the stars..." That's a mighty big "if". NASA, in a bid to keep itself useful enough to keep getting that government money wants me to believe that there may just be a habitable planet for us. The problem: It is 31 light years away.
    Your proposition requires that we get to them before they get to us. The late Stephen Hawking postulated that any space travelers who found us would be looking to plunder our resources and make slaves of us.
    Wherever world travelers have moved from the old world to the new, they rape, loot, kill, and plunder. Our grade school history books make light of how new world countries were plundered. Instead, we were given Columbus Day. All of that gold treasure from those sunken Spanish galleons was all of the gold the Spaniards looted from the South American peoples that were enslaved to dig the gold from the mines.

This is the best evidence of no intelligent life beyond our own. Aliens with the technology to travel beyond light speed arent coming all this way to settle in a cornfield in Iowa and anal probe Bubba. Theyd at least go for probing Jennifer Aniston.

#97 4 years ago

I was watching a joe rogan podcast last week, he was talking about A.I. With the guest. I can’t remember the guests name off hand but one think that he said that stood out for me was that, biological life in the universe is just an incubator for robotic life. He thought that A.I. Is inevitable, it will happen sooner or later.

if we’re limiting our search for biological life as we know it, then that might be a narrow minded approach. And furthermore if robotic life existed, the difficulties of distance and time are a moot point. You don’t have to worry if biological life will survive the trip.

#98 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

"The late Stephen Hawking postulated that any space travelers who found us would be looking to plunder our resources and make slaves of us.

I don't doubt this at all, HG got it correct all those years ago.

Plus any time spent in space is now documented to have severe health risks including a monumental increase factor in cancer. Organic life may not be able to be meant to travel the cosmos.

https://www.space.com/43126-space-travel-astronaut-health-immune-system-cancer.html

#99 4 years ago
    F3F3A3FE-E9F1-473C-9CA7-79E00DB6612D (resized).jpegF3F3A3FE-E9F1-473C-9CA7-79E00DB6612D (resized).jpeg
    #100 4 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Worrying about light speed is also naive. We don't even know how our own universe works. We didn't know how electricity worked 300 years ago. There could be means of travel we can't even conceive of yet. Spooky entanglement is totally a thing. How does it work? Could these underlying substructures to space time be exploited? To say space travel is limited to what we can achieve with our current combustion based propulsion methods is like Ben Franklin getting zapped by a battery and assuming it could never be harnessed into a super computer.

If you're saying no one knows for certain what the outer limits on space travel speed are in light of the laws of physics, I'll have to heartily agree with you. From my non-expert understanding, most physicists today think that based on everything we know about the universe, FTL travel is highly unlikely to work out. If we're shifting over from hard science fiction to fantasy, then wormholes, etc. could possibly provide a work-around. But I'm not so sure it's "naive" to worry about light speed travel -- if it's not possible that means we're back to a universe that in all probability is teeming with life, but is also so damned big and has such restrictive laws that unless we happen to have evolved virtually on top of each other, we can't pop over for a visit, and neither can they.

There are 2,566 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 52.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-ufo-s-are-real-now-/page/2?hl=yellowghost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.