(Topic ID: 186413)

So Pinheads.... Which Features/Changes In Pinball Blew Your Mind?!?

By g0nz0

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by dasvis
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

How about we get a nice little discussion going!

So Pinheads.... as we all know Pinball has made tremendous changes over the decades. From no flippers, to too many flippers to just enough. From no ramps to ramps galore! From no objectives to so many objectives you get lost in the game. Not to mention all of the technological advancements in all aspects of the machine.

Out of all of the changes that came, which change or changes did you look at and just have one of those "holy s@#t" moments and couldn't believe your eyes or ears? Which ones really made you smile and think "WOW, how did someone ever come up with that idea"!

(It can be game specific or just an overall change in all games).

For myself I would have to say these features really impressed me the most (in no specific order):

1. Creature From The Black Lagoon - "The Hologram".
    Even though some people may look at it and find it cheesy, when I first saw him appear it absolutely blew my mind!

2. The ability to play a mini-game on the backbox/backart.

3. Upper & lower fields.
    I am sure that one is a given but when I first saw a machine with multi-levels I was just in awe!

4. Multi-colored indicator lights.
    I know this sounds silly, but seeing those color changes on the Wizard of Oz is just a beautiful sight. I seriously couldn't believe why it took so long for someone to do that.

Sooooo, what changes impressed you guys the most?

#2 7 years ago

talking pinball machines. gorgar

#3 7 years ago

Prices going up while quality is going down. Very impressive to convince people that's acceptable...

#4 7 years ago

Love the T2 cannon....love the lane changers to get x2,x3 etc...love physical locks...........Joey

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

Love the T2 cannon....love the lane changers to get x2,x3 etc...love physical locks...........Joey

I loved the T2 cannon myself! I always thought it would eventually shatter the glass if I fired it wrong lol.

#6 7 years ago

I love magnets.

#7 7 years ago

Color DMDs and Color Screens took pinball to another level for me.

It modernized 20 year old technology.

Marcus

#8 7 years ago

My first pinball OMG:

MULTI - BALLLLLL!!!!!

yep, I old and was easy to impress.

#9 7 years ago

The Shadow lock is pretty magical.

The lighting in WoZ still blows me away.

The fact that Stern seriously licensed a Wrestlemania themed pinball.

#10 7 years ago

Great topic.

For me it would be:

1) multi-color led's and the resulting light show. Games like AMH, to Aerosmith and Scott Danesi's Total Annihilation really seem to use these well.

2) the lcd display. Even though the game is played under the glass, these displays feel like an evolution that defines a modern pin.

3) magnets. Tons of fun and uses. BSD mistball is still a marvel.

4) Rules. Modern games can be incredibly deep; that adds a lot of variety and value.

Along the same lines, I think it will be interesting to see what new innovations move from gimmicks to core features. Dialed In is chuck full of concepts, it will be neat to see over time if any of them carry over and become standardized.

#11 7 years ago

Thing coming out of the box on TAF, or Thing "being on the ball". Very cool.

T-Rex eating the ball on JP.

Strobe MB on AFM. Holy shit, is that awesome.

Sanctum on The Shadow.

Nearly everything on Capcom's Pinball Magic. What a boatload of toys that game showcases.

#12 7 years ago

Pinball 2000, RFM will always be cool for me.

shaker motors - the one thing RFM is missing.

seeing Rotation VIII in action. I'll be darn.

#13 7 years ago

Magnets. Honestly, it's my favorite thing in a pinball machine.

#14 7 years ago

First time I saw the JM hand grab that ball @ Kev's house....that gave me a WoW factor...!!!........Joey

#15 7 years ago

Thinking back, it was probably the changeover from EM to Solid State. I still remember watching an operator cart off an EM EK with a promise to bring back another game that we were really going to like. A few days later, we feast our eyes on EK again, this time it was a solid state game. People were lined up to play the game. Just watching the numbers roll over on the score displays was cool. That was at Skylark Bowl, place is gone now, nothing but an open field last time I drove by there.

#16 7 years ago

Seeing Color DMDs on old games that I had grown used to seeing in red/organge. The first time I saw the animations that I'm used to, now in color, was pretty cool for me.

#17 7 years ago

The price doubling from $3600 during years of record low inflation blew my mind. YMBMV

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The price doubling from $3600 during years of record low inflation blew my mind. YMBMV

LOL, oh I can completely agree with you there. It seems like anytime I get interested in something it just always seems to be when the rest of the world gets interested also. I told my wife that I used to see pins on ebay 5-10 years ago for $800 - $2,000 ALL DAY LONG.

Then I finally get to a point in my life to were I can get one and now they are the same price as used cars.

But if people keep paying the insane prices what reason would anyone ever have to lower it right?

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

Seeing Color DMDs on old games that I had grown used to seeing in red/organge. The first time I saw the animations that I'm used to, now in color, was pretty cool for me.

Yeah I love those now. The color DMD's just bring games to a whole new level!

#20 7 years ago

The AFM aliens with their wiggly rubber arms blew my mind!

#21 7 years ago

Lane change is a simple feature I love and miss like hell on older machines that do not have it.

#22 7 years ago

Rudy! I still think his interactions while playing is awesome. Really draws you in to believing he is real.

#23 7 years ago

The overall experience of playing Black Knight when it first hit my local arcade.

#24 7 years ago

the way WOZ uses color-changing LEDs.

Stern is like "this insert can be blue! and then it can be red!" meanwhile, JJP fades and sweeps and gradients and pinwheels color patterns across the full playfield, and skittle-bombs itself during Munchkin Modes. the lighting effects on that game are just gorgeous.

#25 7 years ago

TZ gumball machine, Power ball and subways are all very great.

#26 7 years ago

I want RFID technology to get integrated!!!! So we can stop using switches for everything and enhance the rules even more.

#27 7 years ago

Escalating background sound - simple but was very effective
    Black Hole lower playfield
    Getaway supercharger

#28 7 years ago

The jumping frog targets on Scared Stiff hitting the playfield glass are still a really cool effect!

#29 7 years ago

The mech for mist multiball was sooo cool the first time (and maybe the last time) I saw it

#30 7 years ago

Walking into Concord Bowl in St. Louis (still there) and seeing that the price for playing a game (Sing Along) had doubled in price from 5 cents to 10 cents. Three games for a quarter softened the blow a little. But gee, sometimes all you needed was a nickel to play for quite a while.

#31 7 years ago

Not a single feature but I think ACDC was really a game changer as it was really the first game with a great risk/reward ruleset and color changing LEDs. It really felt different than all games before it. Since then games like TWD and Met have improved upon those features but at the time ACDC really impressed me.

#32 7 years ago

I can honestly so about the only thing that REALLY did was the magnet lock in Shadow.

John

#33 7 years ago

Just about everything on Multimorphic's P3 / Lexy Lightspeed - Escape From Earth machine blows my mind.

I like the idea of Stern's Mag Slings... but haven't really played a game with it yet so don't know if I really like it.
    It's that kind of out-of-the-box thinking I like... take something like magnets and making them replace a "standard" Pinball Mech.

#34 7 years ago

Magna save
    being able to use a magnet to stop a ball from going down the outlane, awesome

#35 7 years ago

The new way to update code.

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from BrianBannon:

Thinking back, it was probably the changeover from EM to Solid State. .

No doubt the most radical change in pinball history. EM's were king, then the SS pins came & suddenly, the EM's vanished on location.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-pinheads-which-featureschanges-in-pinball-blew-your-mind and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.