(Topic ID: 30791)

So Operator had someone tell him I flipped his pins.. Should I feel bad.

By Benepinballs

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 170 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Gerry
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 11 years ago

It's no different then someone going to a rummage sale, and paying $5 for a $10k painting or statue. It happens all the time. None of those people should feel bad. They set the price.

#102 11 years ago
    Quoted from Benepinballs:

I know their was a crossbow, ill have to dig, the stuff is buried

Crossbow would work can convert it. Let me know, Hope buried tresures turn up, good luck.

#103 11 years ago

So here is the deal, I bought a few warehouses from an Operator several months ago, I did not make offers on the games, I let him set the prices, since I have bought from him for years now.
    Example twilights $600, Medievals 1000, Attacks 1000 , no williams stuff over $1000 and most sega, data east, gottlieb stuff $400. Everything was DMD except a few.
    I sold them in lots of 50, 75 etc. and kept a few of the real nice pieces for myself in storage to fall back on when needed, kind of like a savings account
    Now some other buyer told him what I sold the pins for and now he says he wont sell to me anymore since I made so much money off of him. All he has left is EM's but quite a few.
    So Like I said I let him set the prices and I accepted them, he is an older gentlemen and not a big internet guy.
    So should I have said they are worth more than that?

Were you happy with the price? Was he happy? If you have a time machine maybe you can go back and do whatever you need to do to but....

I'm wondering why you decided to expose your business model here? If you've got that much cushion on your games then it seems like I got a lot of wiggle room with price! Wouldn't have ever thought that without you saying you paid 1k for an Attack etc. See what I mean? You've now got an entire forum, some previous paying customers, now realizing you pick pins up super cheap and it's hard to convince people otherwise in the future.

#104 11 years ago

Actually those super cheap deals are few and far between obviously.

#105 11 years ago

Sometimes u get great deals and sometimes u pay up.

#106 11 years ago

I still don't think you're in the wrong..
    But my god , I bet that guy is SICK to his stomach about the prices collectors pay for these games now.

#107 11 years ago
    Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

Were you happy with the price? Was he happy? If you have a Time Machine maybe you can go back and do whatever you need to do to but....
    I'm wondering why you decided to expose your business model here? If you've got that much cushion on your games then it by I Want This" href="#" in_rurl="http://i.trkjmp.com/click?v=VVM6Mjg1MDU6MTEyNTpzZWVtczowMjFkZDRiNmNlMjg2NzA0YmI1N2ZmMjFkZTQ3ZmE3Nzp6LTExMzUtMzY5MzY6cGluc2lkZS5jb206MjIyMzI6ZDVjOWY5ZmExM2QzNTVjZWMxZWEyMjM1ZWI0OGY0MjM">seems like I got a lot of wiggle room with price! Wouldn't have ever thought that without you saying you paid 1k for an Attack etc. See what I mean? You've now got an entire forum, some previous paying customers, now realizing you pick pins up super cheap and it's hard to convince people otherwise in the future.

You need these kinds of deals to offset the ones where there is pretty much no room to make a good profit..these deals balance out the shit ones...or the ones you get burned on...

I dont care if a guy buys a CC or an AFM for a dollar...if the deal is fair im gonna buy it if i want it..

it makes no difference what the seller has in something... i dont care what he has in it...

If i bought a car at an auction and i stole it for a 1000, and its worth 5K,, i'm not gonna sell it for 1050...

you wouldnt either....

Things are worth what they are worth...

#108 11 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

All these posts and not one picture?

That is why I said "if true".

#110 11 years ago

Now some other buyer told him what I sold the pins for and now he says he wont sell to me anymore

That other guy poisoned the well - hope you dont know him or even let him in on the seller?

#111 11 years ago
    Quoted from PorkChopExpress:

You f^(ked him good. Own it.

shiiiit. he f'd himself I say.
    anybody could have done that for him, at those sale prices

#112 11 years ago
    Quoted from PorkChopExpress:

You f^(ked him good. Own it.

He has. He seems to be back on terms with the seller and working out another deal. I'm sure seller is a bit wiser now, but...

Quoted from zippydapinhead:

HE SET THE PRICE -YOU PAID = deal done

#113 11 years ago
    Quoted from zippydapinhead:

He has. He seems to be back on terms with the seller and working out another deal. I'm sure seller is a bit wiser now, but...

I agree. Done deal.

#114 11 years ago

One thing that nobody mentioned was that on a bulk sale of that size, only an idiot would not realize that you intended on reselling. How many people buy that many games for a personal collection? If you only made a hundred dollars off every game, would the seller have been alright with that? Plus, its is nobody's business what you paid for the games and what the seller sold them for, so the whistle blower should have kept his mouth shut. If I had a MM and sold it for 2K and after the sale told the buyer that I only paid a dollar for it, would the buyer be upset? Some people would. I could hear it now, "why did you take advantage of me, you only paid a buck for the machine!!!!!!" Some people would not even admit that even though the seller paid peanuts for an a list title, they got a killer deal. And I will go so far as to say that if I did post a MM on this forum for 2k, I am pretty sure that no one would offer me the regular asking price of 10k+. No one. I bought a 70" LED 3D Tv from Best Buy that was last years model. They were knocking several thousands of dollars off the original price. Now if I sold it on Craigslist, should I sell it for what it is really worth, or only at a slight profit over what I paid? It was a 5k TV and I would not sell it for slightly over $1000. The bottom line is it is worth more than that. If Best Buy has hurt feelings over my resell then that is their problem. You did not steal the games, blackmail the seller, or anything else that you should be ashamed of. And for all the people who claim that they would offer to pay more for an item that they know is worth more than the asking price, I have a huge TV that they can buy for 5K. After all, that is what its worth. Right? Plus, it would be a lot easier to move then a whole wharehouse full of heavy arcade equipment. Which nobody mentioned so far. You had the money for the buy, and I am sure you did plenty of grunt work after the sale. You should be compensated and you were. Clear conscience in my book.

#115 11 years ago

This issue is as old as dirt.

The only one f^(king anyone here, other than the third party trying to poison the buyer's well (which unfortunately, is the norm in coin-op collecting), is the seller...for allowing himself to get upset over prices HE set. This isn't even the case of a tacky flipping tactic (Windexing the glass of a CL game and relisting for 10X more), just two people that worked out a mutually agreed on deal.

All these sanctimonious posts are ridiculous btw. Every single one of you would be in a big hurry to load a 1K MM in the back of your truck and get the f^(k out of dodge before another collector showed up to spoil the deal.

Post edited by absocountry2 : profanity edited

#116 11 years ago
    Quoted from sosage:

T
    Every single one of you would be in a big hurry to load a 1K MM in the back of your truck and get the f^(k out of dodge before another collector showed up to spoil the deal.

Key point~
    If the seller knows its worth a lot more but chooses to sell it cheap
    OR
    really has no idea and the buyer knows its worth a LOT more and jumps on it.

Would I like to have a 1K MM ? Hell yea.
    Would I buy it from a widow that thinks its worth $500. No.

Coming from Vids and that realm of buying and trading its an entirely different mindset of people. Pinball people are far more back stabbing and seemingly more intent of out doing one another or trying to poach deals. Maybe its the price of machines or the people. I have no idea but its there.

#117 11 years ago
    Quoted from cal50:

Key point~
    If the seller knows its worth a lot more but chooses to sell it cheap
    OR
    really has no idea and the buyer knows its worth a LOT more and jumps on it.
    Would I like to have a 1K MM ? Hell yea.
    Would I buy it from a widow that thinks its worth $500. No.
    Coming from Vids and that realm of buying and trading its an entirely different mindset of people. Pinball people are far more back stabbing and seemingly more intent of out doing one another or trying to poach deals. Maybe its the price of machines or the people. I have no idea but its there.

I'm also from vids. The seller's knowledge (or lack there of) is not the buyer's responsibility. This also wasn't a helpless widow with no access to information on value for the one machine sitting in her basement, it was an op selling warehouses of machines in bulk.

#118 11 years ago
    Quoted from sosage:

The only one f^(king anyone here, other than the third party trying to poison the buyer's well (which unfortunately, is the norm in coin-op collecting), is the seller...for allowing himself to get upset over prices HE set. This isn't even the case of a tacky flipping tactic (Windexing the glass of a CL game and relisting for 10X more), just two people that worked out a mutually agreed on deal.
    All these sanctimonious posts are ridiculous btw. Every single one of you would be in a big hurry to load a 1K MM in the back of your truck and get the f^(k out of dodge before another collector showed up to spoil the deal.

Couldn't have said it better myself! There is a bunch of liars in this thread!

#119 11 years ago
    Quoted from sosage:

Every single one of you would be in a big hurry to load a 1K MM

Not true! There are still good guys out there. Someone posted a TAF for 200 on craigslist, my buddy emailed them and said it was worth more than what they were asking. He said he would come over and make a fair offer. It was nice and just needed a little TLC so he ended up buying it. The purchase price was a little over 2k. So still a great deal, could have been better but he would not have felt right about it.

#120 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jdawg4422:

Not true! There are still good guys out there. Someone posted a TAF for 200 on craigslist, my buddy emailed them and said it was worth more than what they were asking. He said he would come over and make a fair offer. It was nice and just needed a little TLC so he ended up buying it. The purchase price was a little over 2k. So still a great deal, could have been better but he would not have felt right about it.

Still raped the guy at 2k, but whatever makes him feel better...

#121 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jdawg4422:

Not everyone is in a position to be able to offer up $1000's for a game tho. for some, they would dream of a TAF, but there is no way in hell they could ever afford one, unless by some miracle a deal like that lands in their lap. So in that situation, would the buyer be taking advantage of the seller? If you have extra 1000's to throw around and can give more charity, so be it, but not every circumstance is the buyer raping the seller.

#122 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

Still raped the guy at 2k, but whatever makes him feel better...

Still the guy got around 2k more than he thought he would. My buddy told him the market value and what he was willing to pay based on condition.

#123 11 years ago

*facepalm*

#124 11 years ago

In the end we all have to look in the mirror daily at ourselves and like what we see or live in denial with our addictions..

#125 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

Couldn't have said it better myself! There is a bunch of liars in this thread!

sosage said:

I will second that on the liars....

Post edited by absocountry2 : profanity edited

#126 11 years ago

I still do not understand what Benepinballs was hoping to gain from this post.
    I wonder if Bobby just needs the attention/drama.

#127 11 years ago
    Quoted from ryan1234:

I still do not understand what Benepinballs was hoping to gain from this post.
    I wonder if Bobby just needs the attention/drama.

I smell BS without any pics.....

#128 11 years ago

These pins were on ebay months ago with pics, And those that bought from me know what I had, I did not stand to gain anything and hate drama, I should have not posted it.

#129 11 years ago

Anyone who sees a problem with a guy purchasing a sh*t load of pins for an agreed upon price is delusional. Judgement to the contrary is reserved to jealousy... I for one have never seen a $1,000 MM, however, I would party like a rockstar all the way to my wallet if someone offered one up...

#130 11 years ago
    Quoted from wescor97:

I for one have never seen a $1,000 MM, however, I would party like a rockstar all the way to my wallet if someone offered one up...

ditto x100

#131 11 years ago

people that used to ship containers over had $1000 MM's CC's and everything else. Even less. Some loads averaged out to $700 a game, but your buying in bulk. That's the advantage for the ones who have a load of cash to plonk down when the deal fall in their lap and wants to go through the hassle of getting them all up and running.

#132 11 years ago

FYI guys, the F bomb is not OK.

#133 11 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

people that used to ship containers over had $1000 MM's CC's and everything else. Even less. Some loads averaged out to $700 a game, but your buying in bulk. That's the advantage for the ones who have a load of cash to plonk down when the deal fall in their lap and wants to go through the hassle of getting them all up and running.

Ala, Kirk Weaver?
    Back when containers of games were decent and not firewood.
    More than a few SC's came across the pond from Germany.

#134 11 years ago

Nothing to see here..., just another case of the rich getting richer.

If it were me, i hook people up here. Find a crafty way of hooking up the least fortunate here with a great title. Although thats me..., me and my boss dont see eye to eye on this subject, he flips 4 wheelers. Needless to say i'd never buy anything from him, but thats how most people are. There are still good people out there, just very very few. I'd hook people up here and still manage to make a killing at those prices.

Here's is a good example of shoreing up pinflation, instead of a lot of pins hitting the market at nice prices. OP..., all in all i'm happy for you, but you cant escape fact and your the one who has to sleep at night with your own thoughts of the day.

Man i'm going to get in a lot of trouble for posting this...

#135 11 years ago

Do not continue this thread down the political path. Pinstyle, politics are off limits. Maybe you should have deleted you post instead of typing it was trouble.

This applies to all, pinside community rules do not allow politics, do not go there. Consider this a friendly warning and a chance to read the rules.

#136 11 years ago

No, you shouldn't feel bad. Your business partner didn't feel bad when he sold you the pins at his asked price, so why should you worry now?
    Everyone has a couple of missed chances in life, so what. Learn and don't make the same mistakes again in the future.

Pinball owners are kind of schizophrenic. While we all dream of discovering the forgotten MM for a bargain price, we envy others if they are lucky to find some hidden treasure. So what do we really want? Being fair to sellers or get pinballs at reasonable prices?

#137 11 years ago
    Quoted from Gerry:

You need these kinds of deals to offset the ones where there is pretty much no room to make a good profit..these deals balance out the shit ones...or the ones you get burned on...
    I dont care if a guy buys a CC or an AFM for a dollar...if the deal is fair im gonna buy it if i want it..
    it makes no difference what the seller has in something... i dont care what he has in it...
    If i bought a car at an auction and i stole it for a 1000, and its worth 5K,, i'm not gonna sell it for 1050...
    you wouldnt either....
    Things are worth what they are worth...

"Worth" is what the buyer is willing to pay. If a buyer believes, and I don't care for what reason, there's been a huge mark up on a product they might not believe they are getting a fair deal as you put it, and walk OR think they have more negotiating room than what actually might be there. He advertised essentially his dealer cost. People, for whatever reason, might not believe a 7-8k markup on an AFM is something they want to get into.

#138 11 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

Do not continue this thread down the political path. Pinstyle, politics are off limits. Maybe you should have deleted you post instead of typing it was trouble.

what was political about his post?

Here is his whole post without any editing done to it:

Quoted from pinstyle:

Nothing to see here..., just another case of the rich getting richer.

If it were me, i hook people up here. Find a crafty way of hooking up the least fortunate here with a great title. Although thats me..., me and my boss dont see eye to eye on this subject, he flips 4 wheelers. Needless to say i'd never buy anything from him, but thats how most people are. There are still good people out there, just very very few. I'd hook people up here and still manage to make a killing at those prices.

Here's is a good example of shoreing up pinflation, instead of a lot of pins hitting the market at nice prices. OP..., all in all i'm happy for you, but you cant Escape fact and your the one who has to sleep at night with your own thoughts of the day.

Man i'm going to get in a lot of trouble for posting this...

#139 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jdawg4422:

what was political about his post?
    Here is his whole post without any editing done to it:

The rich getting richer is a political talking point for the "left" used to justify raising taxes on the "rich." The rest of the post talked about a poor employee and his greedy boss. I know there are people here that would oppose the post and want to continue the conversation here. Just trying to stay in front of it.

Back to pinball.

#140 11 years ago

So if you have a HUO CV that you bought NIB at $1700. Selling it for 12K now at a huge markup is a question of morals? Seriously? How long must you have a game sit in your basement, before it's ok to sell by your standards? Where's the rules on game selling?

#141 11 years ago

I hope BENE mad 50k off that package so he can go out and buy more pins and offer us titles that we all want or cant find ....

you guys are rediculous....

he bought pins for full asking price, sold them and got what they were "worth" according to the current market...

its called business...

This whole post started in the first place because another pin guys blew Bene in cause he was Jealous....

thats where the problem started...

And all of the whiney posts here are because of the same thing..jealousy !

#143 11 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

So if you have a HUO CV that you bought NIB at $1700. Selling it for 12K now at a huge markup is a question of morals? Seriously? How long must you have a game sit in your basement, before it's ok to sell by your standards? Where's the rules on game selling?

NO NOT SERIOUSLY. READ what I said. A BUYER might have a problem with it. I questioned if it was good business sense to advertise what he paid for the game. Your injecting morality into this - NOT ME.

#144 11 years ago

I just checked the main page and saw -1 new... checked the thread, and a certain post is missing... odd.

#145 11 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I just checked the main page and saw -1 new... checked the thread, and a certain post is missing... odd.

Wow.

#146 11 years ago

I should have not posted it.

No shit Sherlock ! Keep deals to yourself . it will work out better that way.

Jim

#147 11 years ago

Anybody else feel this has ran its course?

#148 11 years ago

If you guys actually read the thread he worked it out with the seller. It's all good.

Apparently the moral thing to do is to tell the seller the actual market value and then offer them half.....just like on Pawn Stars

#149 11 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

If you guys actually read the thread he worked it out with the seller. It's all good.
    Apparently the moral thing to do is to tell the seller the actual market value and then offer them half.....just like on Pawn Stars

I ran a pawn shop for 8 years.If you actually believe that the PawnStars guys offer more than people ask for they're stuff initially your crazy. Thats complete bull crap. Those guys would never offer more.Its just the people who produce the show getting you to think they are standup great guys.

#150 11 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

The rich getting richer is a political talking point for the "left" used to justify raising taxes on the "rich." The rest of the post talked about a poor employee and his greedy boss. I know there are people here that would oppose the post and want to continue the conversation here. Just trying to stay in front of it.
    Back to pinball.

That is not what i said at all. I dont know where your getting that from what i wrote, i dont even follow politics. Its a simple fact that its easy to make money when you have a large sum of it.

I stated that i was happy for the OP and stated what i would do given the incredible deal he got, but again thats just me. Its obvious the opertunists out weigh the givers here. Thats how things go though so i dont harbor any bad feelings what so ever towards anyone here.

OP, if you feel bad about the purchase, consider what i said (i cant buy anything now so im not hopeing the OP will "hook me up", just looking out for others), or cut the seller a nice check after you sell them, you'll still make a killing and you'll sleep better.

There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-operator-had-someone-tell-him-i-flipped-his-pins-should-i-feel-bad/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.