(Topic ID: 30791)

So Operator had someone tell him I flipped his pins.. Should I feel bad.

By Benepinballs

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 170 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Gerry
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 11 years ago

So here is the deal, I bought a few warehouses from an Operator several months ago, I did not make offers on the games, I let him set the prices, since I have bought from him for years now.

Example twilights $600, Medievals 1000, Attacks 1000 , no williams stuff over $1000 and most sega, data east, gottlieb stuff $400. Everything was DMD except a few.

I sold them in lots of 50, 75 etc. and kept a few of the real nice pieces for myself in storage to fall back on when needed, kind of like a savings account

Now some other buyer told him what I sold the pins for and now he says he wont sell to me anymore since I made so much money off of him. All he has left is EM's but quite a few.

So Like I said I let him set the prices and I accepted them, he is an older gentlemen and not a big internet guy.

So should I have said they are worth more than that?

#2 11 years ago

Yeah, kinda took a lil advantage IMO. You obviously feel remorse otherwise you wouldn't be asking for others opinions.

#3 11 years ago

Well, obviously taking advantage of someone to such an extent earned you a bad rep with him and contributes to the overall sentiment ops have of getting ripped off by buyers. Whether you care or not is up to you.

Personally I think flippers and quick-buck-makers hurt the actual pinball consumer by driving up overall prices while adding minimal value (just like in housing), but IMO making money off of pinball and being a pinball hobbyist are two separate concepts that just happen to have some overlap. So again, the people making money at the expense of other hobbyists may or may not care what anyone else thinks.

It could be argued that flippers do the hobby a service by digging up machines that are just sitting around and flipping them into the market to increase circulation, and this may be true if the guy who owned them would not have ever let them go except in a huge package deal (probably not many people would be interested in dealing with dropping a couple hundred thousand on 100 machines) but if some other end consumers could have gotten in on the action and bought some machines for themselves then basically you enriched yourself at the expense of everyone else. Of course that's how economics works. Obviously there's high enough demand to pay high prices, and you're not required to be altruistic (but some people may not want to deal with a known flipper).

#4 11 years ago

Well, that's kind of a tuff one... considering he's in the "know" he shouldn't have a problem with it... the hard side of that is that if you knew they were worth a lot more than what he was selling them for and just let him do it... but, is it really your place to point that out, you as a buyer from someone like that, you would think he knew what they were worth and was just looking to unload them... kind of like if I buy something from someone who just has a machine, say mm and I say I'll give you 2 thousand dollars (dr evil style) and he sells it, then I turn around and sell it for 10k... I should go to hell for it... I don't think in your case you should feel bad about anything... he sold, you sold... you just happened to make a little more at it... welcome to America

#5 11 years ago

Dont really feel remorse, I cleaned out two warehouses for him, He said he was going to haul some off to dump, I said how much do you want for them if I take them all, and he set the prices.

Competition comes in and tells him he was selling to cheap and they will pay more. which is fine.

#6 11 years ago

Dude - CONGRATS!

#7 11 years ago

Yeah, I'm with others on this.

I love going to swap meets and garage sales and like looking for neon beer signs, etc. On more then one occasion, I have educated someone on their asking price and paid much more then they were asking.

It's a Karmic thing and I feel I keep finding gems because of it, but who knows? It feels good to pay a price that is fair to both parties.

Just my two cents.

#8 11 years ago

If joeblow says to me, "I got this Twighlight Zone pinball I would like to sell for 1K", I damn sure ain't gonna offer more. Sorry. I have limited pin funds like alot of folks and if I can snag some of the A listers at bargains or steals, I will jump at the chance. On the same side of the coin, if the title that joeblow had was one that I did not personally want, but I knew I could make some money or trade it for a game I did want, I would still grab it at rock bottom prices. Great find on those warehouses. I went to a warehouse raid and every POS pin was 2K or more. We're talking routed into the ground getaways and other low end titles. Some insiders did score TAF and TZ for 2K each. Sorry for rambling.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Yeah, I'm with others on this.

I love going to swap meets and garage sales and like looking for neon beer signs, etc. On more then one occasion, I have educated someone on their asking price and paid much more then they were asking.

It's a Karmic thing and I feel I keep finding gems because of it, but who knows? It feels good to pay a price that is fair to both parties.

Just my two cents.

Like I said, if I went to a distributor and bought 1000 neon signs for x amount, and then turned around and sold them individually and made a profit am I wrong?

#10 11 years ago

I don't know what you have to gain from asking. Did you take advantage of the guy? Yeah. Should he have done some research? Yeah. Would most people find it hard to turn a good deal down? Yeah.

How you wanna feel about it is up to you. There are worse people doing worse things and nicer people doing nicer things.

#11 11 years ago

BTW... I'll take 1 tz and 1 mm for 1600.
    ooh and I'll pay the shipping...

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from Benepinballs:

Dont really feel remorse

Bobby, this has happened to you..how did you feel about it?

My opinion....... it's business not personal...but those who live in a glass house......

#13 11 years ago

I think the warehouses are few and far between these days, I have been doing this for about 15 years and got some incredible bargains, In all honestly most of my sources I have bought pretty much all of the old stuff and all that they are operating anymore is Stern stuff, which is great, since we still trade all the time. This was the last big Warehouse I knew of besides one other which I am still working on, but Operators in the midwest dont have many pins anymore. I remember getting truckloads full of A Titles just 5-7 years ago. But knowledge is power, most Operators know what things are worth these days, actually they think they are worth quite a bit more, since they look at Ebay buy it now prices and think, routed dirty pins are worth the same

#14 11 years ago

The only way you can make this right is to let those "savings account" pins go to the pinside community at cost. PM me for shipping info

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

The only way you can make this right is to let those "savings account" pins go to the pinside community at cost. PM me for shipping info

+1600 "wink"

#16 11 years ago

twilights $600, Medievals 1000, Attacks 1000

seriously? twilight zone $600? medieval madness 1000? attack from mars 1000? If you sold those at current market prices, I estimate you profited $18k just on those 3 pins.

While he did set the prices, perhaps you shouldn't have resold them in lots.. you basically titled yourself as a middleman, and it sounds like you did it in a short time period. It would have been one thing to slowly shop them out, and sell them off one at a time (so your selling them at higher prices because you put work/money into them), but doing what you did sounds like you either:
    a. did it for quick profit
    b. sold off the ones you didn't want to keep (because you couldn't afford to keep them all), and kept the ones you did want.

Why is it that people with massive amounts of pins in storage sell them in a lot? Why don't they let an auction house sell them off one at at time?

#17 11 years ago

I think its great if someone makes money off of something I sell, As long as I got what I needed out of it. I am happy. Dont think we didnt know what you were doing all along big boy.

#18 11 years ago

I think the warehouses are few and far between these days, I have been doing this for about 15 years and got some incredible bargains, In all honestly most of my sources I have bought pretty much all of the old stuff and all that they are operating anymore is Stern stuff, which is great, since we still trade all the time. This was the last big Warehouse I knew of besides one other which I am still working on, but Operators in the midwest dont have many pins anymore. I remember getting truckloads full of A Titles just 5-7 years ago. But knowledge is power, most Operators know what things are worth these days, actually they think they are worth quite a bit more, since they look at Ebay buy it now prices and think, routed dirty pins are worth the same

If the guy had all these A titles he surely should have known what they are worth. Im assuming he bought them NIB & should have known they werent cheap even back then. Congrats on the Score, If youre feeling the slightest bit guilty you could always pass along a lil of your good fortune to some fellow pinsiders... (=

#19 11 years ago

Some did go to some great pinsiders. Really good guys

#20 11 years ago

The op had had these games obroute and had made his money off them
    He was happy to accept $1000 for them

The only problem I see is that you did not offer then up to your fellow pinsideds for a bargain price :p

#21 11 years ago

Kinda funny. A few years ago my business partner asked my what we'd take for our MM. I told him $5k - no less! Someone came in a few months ago and asked himwhat he wants for it. His answer? Of course, $5k. Sold. Gone. Mint. Now offered at $16.5k. Shucks. Live and learn. Of course, Im heartbroken, but other than a little internal teeth gnashing, its all good. True story or strike me down.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

The only problem I see is that you did not offer then up to your fellow pinsideds for a bargain price

They were out there on Ebay for a good deal. Some pinsiders were talking about them a while ago.

#23 11 years ago

Don't feel bad for 1 second.

He set the price, you didn't. I'm sure he knew that a warehouse bulk price is not the same as a retail store price. On the other hand, if you feel bad about it just call him and tell him you will donate all your profits to charity if he will join with you and match the same in cash and donate as well.

... not for 1 second Dude.

#24 11 years ago

Dont really feel remorse,

Then why ask?

#25 11 years ago

If he set the prices, who is responsible for what you bought them for? He is. Once you bought them, you were free to do what you wanted with them. If you sold them at a profit, (and at those prices it did not seem hard to do,) then more power to you. If I had a Monster Bash and I listed it on this forum for 1K people would be killing themselves to try and get it at that price. Even if they did not want/need it. I find it hard to believe that people would say," Hey, do you know that you should be selling that machine for X amount of dollars? I don't want to pay 1k I want to give you 10K." If the seller set the price and sold too low, that is not your problem that is his for not being informed of what the value is on what he had. If you OUTRIGHT LIED to him on the value, then that would be a lousy thing for you to do. Every retail and wholesale business sells for more then what they pay for their merchandise. Should Wal Mart feel bad for what they do? How about Burger King who probably makes about $6.50 on a $7.00 value meal? Plus it sounds like you bought a ton of stuff from him. It does not seem like it was something that he would want to sell piece by piece. You obviously had the funds to buy in bulk. Not many people would. Would you rather have had someone else get that deal? I am willing to bet that if you sold in lots, the games that you sold will make a nice profit for the new buyer, who will probably sleep just fine at night and not feel even the slightest guilt over it.

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

The only problem I see is that you did not offer then up to your fellow pinsideds for a bargain price :p

+1 Yeah the karma gods will get you unless you sell me some pins at cost
    Seriously tho - HE SET THE PRICE -YOU PAID = deal done

#27 11 years ago

I have no idea why you would post this on a public forum;

At best you come off looking like someone who would glady rip someone off if they are uninformed. Its bad enough to be that guy, why did you just go put on his nametag and uniform and run to the front of the room shouting about it?

How can that be good for business?

So here is the deal, I bought a few warehouses from an Operator several months ago, I did not make offers on the games, I let him set the prices, since I have bought from him for years now.
    Example twilights $600, Medievals 1000, Attacks 1000 , no williams stuff over $1000 and most sega, data east, gottlieb stuff $400. Everything was DMD except a few.
    I sold them in lots of 50, 75 etc. and kept a few of the real nice pieces for myself in storage to fall back on when needed, kind of like a savings account
    Now some other buyer told him what I sold the pins for and now he says he wont sell to me anymore since I made so much money off of him. All he has left is EM's but quite a few.
    So Like I said I let him set the prices and I accepted them, he is an older gentlemen and not a big internet guy.

#28 11 years ago

Honestly, the right thing to do would have been to alert the guy to the current pin renaissance before asking prices (or shortly after hearing how low they were). He likely would have still given up the merch for a fair price and it would have prevented hard feelings.

If you feel bad about it, let him in on it. Offer to show him how to direct sell his remaining pins to collectors, or to post them for him on consignment. He'll recoup the money he "lost" on this deal and you might make a couple bucks yourself.

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

At best you come off looking like someone who would glady rip someone off if they are uninformed.

Uh, no. If youre trying to make Bene look bad, dont get the saying polar-opposite and innocently wrong. The correct wording is, "At WORST, you come off looking. . .like a thief". At best, he paid what the seller wanted. . . Just offering a correction

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from dasmb:

Honestly, the right thing to do would have been to alert the guy to the current pin renaissance before asking prices (or shortly after hearing how low they were). He likely would have still given up the merch for a fair price and it would have prevented hard feelings.
    If you feel bad about it, let him in on it. Offer to show him how to direct sell his remaining pins to collectors, or to post them for him on consignment. He'll recoup the money he "lost" on this deal and you might make a couple bucks yourself.

#31 11 years ago

Im calling him in the morning and offering to sell his remainders for him at a small profit.

#32 11 years ago

The real issue is that sour grapes bastard that would have tried to bargain him down further if he had the chance. What did he really accomplish but to try and piss you both off as much as he was that he missed the deal. Happens all the time.

#33 11 years ago

I kinda hate all the professional "off-the-grid" flippers that are in business these days with a white-hot passion (it makes trying to be a collector a f'n nightmare in my neck of the woods), but if the seller set the prices, then there aint a damn thing to feel bad about.

In 2012, it IS NOT hard to get online and get an idea about what something might be worth. Even if someone's not an "Internet guy", they most certainly know a ton of people who can help them find information on the 'Net.

Now, if YOU had set the prices with misleading info like "Sorry, but these machines just don't bring much money anymore...$1k for MM is the best I can do", then that's a whole different story.

#34 11 years ago

Im calling him in the morning and offering to sell his remainders for him at a small profit.

Umm...

#35 11 years ago

See the is the total Truth, I know for a fact the competition would have taken them for the price I bought them for, But he was upset he didnt get the deal. He even offered him about the same I had offered on the EM's that remain.

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rush1169:

Uh, no. If youre trying to make Bene look bad, dont get the saying polar-opposite and innocently wrong. The correct wording is, "At WORST, you come off looking. . .like a thief". At best, he paid what the seller wanted. . . Just offering a correction

I don't know what went down, I just know from the information offered if I brought Bene a collection of X, and he was an expert in it, would I trust him to pay me a fair amount after reading this? So if I sell him something for $1000 and its worth $10,000 he can soul searchingly post "should I feel bad?" about it.

Gimme a break...

Buyers and sellers beware, life's not often fair...

However I have never sought to profit off the ignorance of others, it does not make business sense in the long run if you get that sort of reputation.

#37 11 years ago

On a side note. . . You asked if you should feel bad for buying too low, although at asking price. . .it may be that you have a God fearing, legit, christian internal dilemma that you wanted to ask about. If that is the case, I believe you have no moral conflict with which to deal. You did nothing wrong. In fact, it could be, as scripturally consistent, that those who are poor caretakers of God's money will lose it and those who are good caretakers will flourish.

I know. Controversial, but very real to some of us. . . .just saying.

#38 11 years ago

The guy sold to you because he trusted you. "since I have bought from him for years now"
    It is bad business.
    It will catch up to you.

#39 11 years ago

he is an older gentlemen and not a big internet guy.

Why am I getting the vibe that you didn't start this thread to ask if you should feel bad but instead to gloat about how you got over on a clueless old man?

TAF $600? MM $1000??

Should you have said they worth more then that? I think you know the answer...

#40 11 years ago

He set the price.

He knows what he paid for them, he depreciated them, he made money off of them.

He was happy to get the price.

I see no problem with it.

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

TAF $600? MM $1000??
    Should you have said they worth more then that? I think you know the answer...

Yeah. We all do that. Someone selling a home too cheap? Let em know and pay more. Car too cheap? Ditto. Roofer too cheap? Tip 'em. The guy that buys 1,000 laptops from a company in bulk, but used, fully depreciated, and a company liability? Pay them more. A bankrupt business being sold due to divorce you buy at a deal? Nope, pay them more. . .the list is endless. . .

In fact (not really), when I see a pin for sale for $500 that I know is worth $1,200, i always go buy it and pay the guy $1,200. . .

#42 11 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

#43 11 years ago

Dont really feel remorse, I cleaned out two warehouses for him, He said he was going to haul some off to dump, I said how much do you want for them if I take them all, and he set the prices.
    Competition comes in and tells him he was selling to cheap and they will pay more. which is fine.

So why did you post this thread again?

#44 11 years ago

That was average prices of pins in a bulk deal of
    150 plus units which included stuff like gladiators also.
    It was not a gloat it was asking a question. He was happy with
    The deal at the time, very happy. Until competition told him what
    I was selling them for

I sell plenty of pins to collectors at very low profit, especially new ones.
    I do feel bad that he is upset and will think of a way to
    Make it up to him.

#45 11 years ago

If no one had told him what you did would you have still posted this?
    You got a great deal and everyone would approach it in theyre own way. Some would take the cash and not worry. Some would have told him right off the bat that they were worth more. Some would give him a gift on the back end. Its just whatever you want.. Its your choice

#46 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rush1169:

Yeah. We all do that. Someone selling a home too cheap? Let em know and pay more. Car too cheap? Ditto. Roofer too cheap? Tip 'em. The guy that buys 1,000 laptops from a company in bulk, but used, fully depreciated, and a company liability? Pay them more. A bankrupt business being sold due to divorce you buy at a deal? Nope, pay them more. . .the list is endless. . .
    In fact (not really), when I see a pin for sale for $500 that I know is worth $1,200, i always go buy it and pay the guy $1,200. . .

Well, If I asked an old man how much he wanted for his 2011 BMW and he says "A thousand dollars", I'm pretty sure I wouldn't take advantage....

#47 11 years ago

I guess this was the main point. This gentlemen was very happy with the deal and even called me afterwards and thanked me for buying all at once and not cherry picking.

Then someone comes along and says they would have paid much more for the
    Pins. Etc. and keep telling him I ripped him off while the whole time
    They are trying to buy the other pins from him.

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rush1169:

You seriously don't double check when somebody's selling something at way too low a price, or offers you way too high a price?

I always do. Half the time it turns out there was something I didn't originally understand about the deal. For example, I bought a furnace that was about $1500 less than the next guy. Turns out the warranty, while for a longer period, didn't cover labor and the furnace was 10k BTUs less. Within tolerance for our existing square footage but no room to expand, heat the garage, etc.

#49 11 years ago

That's what a warehouse raid is all about. You get the stuff dirt cheap, but in return, he hears no bitching about this not working, this is missing this board and so on. Plus he has one source, to move and clean everything out. That's the way it's always been. Saves him the time to deal with each pin and each person. Plus your there, with cash, clean the place out. Were they way cheaper than should have been. Probably, but that's part of the treasure hunt. It's not like he was asking for more and you sweet talked him down. I'm sure you gladly paid his asking prices. If someone has a ferrari sitting in a barn and says I can have it for $1000 to get it out of there. I'm not going to say....no no no sir...I insist you take 30k.

Hell no. I'm going to spend the next 2 months figuring out how i'm going to haul pins in a Ferrari.

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Well, If I asked an old man how much he wanted for his 2011 BMW and he says "A thousand dollars", I'm pretty sure I wouldn't take advantage....

Fair enough. NADA says $40,000. How much will extra will you pay over $1,000?

There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-operator-had-someone-tell-him-i-flipped-his-pins-should-i-feel-bad and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.