(Topic ID: 257924)

So my Brother & Nephew walk into a Bar...

By tullster

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Chambahz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Ba boom.gif
    #1 4 years ago

... The Arcade Bar down the street from my Nephews new apartment. Neither of them drink, but it's my Nephews new favorite place and they've gotta play some pinball! Brother tells me... "It was great! He (nephew) gets tokens when they're 10/$1 on special, stockpiles them, and has a jarful. The best part was there was no pressure to buy a drink because all the Bartenders were staring at their phones!"

This sorta bothered me. Not the cheapskate Nephew part, but the loss of old-school common sense business hustle. And I'm seeing it more often.

Makes one wonder where things are going.

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from tullster:

So my Brother & Nephew walk into a Bar...

Followed by a horse. Whereupon the bartender looks up from his phone and says to the horse:

"Why the long face?"

Ba boom.gifBa boom.gif

#3 4 years ago

I’ll bite: is there a “standard” price for tokens or this a “happy hour price”?

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Nhpolarbear:

I’ll bite: is there a “standard” price for tokens or this a “happy hour price”?

10/$1 on certain weekdays. I'd guess 4/$1 otherwise. I edited the post

#5 4 years ago

I'll also bite. How old is your nephew? Did you want the bartenders to constantly pester them for a drink? Do you just not like cell phones?

Maybe I'm too anti social but I'd love a barcade where I could go, not buy a ton of booze (what they make their money on) and leave. There is one near my house that is a freeplay model where if you're drinking all the games are free and before you even finish your final sip someone is running over asking you what you want.

#6 4 years ago

A piece of string walks into a bar.
    The bartender say "get out of here, we don't serve string".
    So the piece of string goes out side and messes up his hair and wraps him self up in a ball and goes back inside the bar.
    The bartender says "aren't you that piece of string I just told to get out of here"?
    To which the piece of string relies "I'm a frayed knot".

#7 4 years ago

I’d have a few words with my bartenders if that was the case. At least a soda or bottled water when he buys the tokens. I’m sure there is some law against having to buy a drink.

I would never have a token special. It costs what it costs. Your nephew is taking up space.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

So the piece of string goes out side and messes up his hair and wraps him self up in a ball and goes back inside the bar.
    The bartender says "aren't you that piece of string I just told to get out of here"?

Two guys walk into a bar. The third guy ducks under it.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Do you just not like cell phones?

Employees should not be using their Cell Phones while at work. It has nothing to do with the phones.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Nhpolarbear:

I’d have a few words with my bartenders if that was the case. At least a soda or bottled water when he buys the tokens. I’m sure there is some law against having to buy a drink.
    I would never have a token special. It costs what it costs. Your nephew is taking up space.

Yeah, i feel the same way. BUT you can't blame the nephew?
    If there was advantages in life or places, i'd try to make the best out of myself also.
    But for me, i'd be appreciative of ht options I have and make it worth the barcades while better.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

Employees should not be using their Cell Phones while at work. It has nothing to do with the phones.

Probably not, but I'm making an assumption that the way he worded it that was part of the issue. These damn kids and their snapchat!

I would wager that if it's slow or these guys clearly aren't buying anything then they are gonna do what bartenders do when its slow and mess around on their phones. I would not be alarmed to see a bartender using a cell phone in 2019.

#12 4 years ago

A group of people walk into a bar to drink martinis and play the latest game: Rick and Morty. Your nephew is on the machine and continues to play. The group walks out because they can’t play.

How did that special work out. It’s a bar....the objective is to sell booze.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from Nhpolarbear:

A group of people walk into a bar to drink martinis and play the latest game: Rick and Morty. Your nephew is on the machine and continues to play. The group walks out because they can’t play.
    How did that special work out. It’s a bar....the objective is to sell booze.

But the nephew walks back in tomorrow and drops more tokens to play. If the people drinking were pinball players. They will come back or wait. Keeping them drinking or playing other games. I drove 3 hours to try Wonka for the first time. I had to wait. What's the big deal. And I bought more drinks while I waited to get my turn.

#14 4 years ago

Seems like the system is working as designed, what's the problem? I'm not understanding the complaint unless its just about the inattentive bartenders.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

There is one near my house that is a freeplay model where if you're drinking all the games are free and before you even finish your final sip someone is running over asking you what you want.

That's called good service!!

#16 4 years ago

Just guessing that the bartenders recognized your nephew, since he's in there frequently.
    They know that he doesn`t drink, plays pinball, and no point in pestering him.
    Sounds fine to me. Better than if the story ended with them leaving the place since the staff wouldn't leave them alone.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

That's called good service!!

It is, but my goal isn't always to slam as many beers as possible when I'm out playing. Sometimes (most of the time) I just want to enjoy a beer or two and not feel like I have to keep chugging down drinks before I get kicked out.

#18 4 years ago

. A grasshopper walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "We have a drink named after you!" The grasshopper says, "You have a drink called Freddy?

#19 4 years ago

Three vampires walk into a bar. The first one says, "I'll have a pint of blood."
    The second one says, "I'll have one, too."
    The third one says, "I'll have a pint of plasma."
    The bartender says, "So, that'll be two Bloods and a Blood Lite?"

#20 4 years ago

A naked blonde walks into a bar, carrying a poodle under one arm and a 6 foot salami under the other. The Bartender says, 'So, I don't suppose you'd be needing a drink?' The blonde says

#21 4 years ago

A gorilla walks into a bar and says, "A scotch on the rocks, please." The gorilla hands the bartender a $10 bill. The bartender thinks to himself, "This gorilla doesn't know the prices of drinks," and gives him 15 cents change.
    The bartender says, "You know, we don't get too many gorillas in here." The gorilla replies, "Well, at $9.85 a drink, I ain't coming back, either."

#22 4 years ago

Is your brother the priest and your nephew the rabbi, or is it the other way around?

#24 4 years ago

I haven’t had a drink in 17 years at a bar, I buy a soda water or a bottle of water and have yet to ever be kicked out of a bar for not drinking enough.

As much as I don’t like the look of employees in any business staring at their phones rather than actually working the times are a changing and I’m not going to spend any additional energy actually worrying about it... last thing I need is another ok boomer comment

#25 4 years ago

A man walks into a bar.
    He's an alcoholic and it's destroying his family.

#26 4 years ago

I go to the local barcade on occasion to play for a couple hours after work.I will order a drink as i walk in and pass the bar to the pinball machines (in full view of bar)that will be my only drink of the night.doesn't matter whos working they only get up and put their phone down to go outside to smoke.I'm pretty sure I've never been offered a second drink and I'm usually the only one in the bar,at most I've seen 2 other patrons.greatest kept games worst service....

#27 4 years ago

A panda walks into a bar.
    He gobbles some beer nuts, then pulls out a pistol, fires it in the air, and heads for the door.
    “Hey!” shouts the bartender, but the panda yells back, “I’m a panda. Google me!”
    Sure enough, panda: “A tree-climbing mammal with distinct black-and-white coloring. Eats shoots and leaves.”

#28 4 years ago

A Pirate walks into a bar with  steering wheel sticking out of the front of his pants. Bartender says "What's up with the Steering Wheel?" Pirate says "Aarrgh! It's drivin' me nuts!"

So to complete the story, it's a corporate chain Barcade, and what gets me is that I've seen this uncaring employee attitude more often. You'd think that even though the cheapskate Nephew had been there before and maybe being ignored on purpose, he had the 'ol man along who was a fresh customer (and can certainly afford to spend some money). Someone needed to make an effort to at least say hi to the new guy and make him feel welcome. Hell, say hi to the cheapskate neighbor every time in hope that he buys some food sometime. The fine art of salesmanship seems to be getting lost. 

Just an observation, but Waitstaff that don't care, Management that lets them get away with it, and ridiculously cheap Pinball seems like a bad recipe, and I don't see how a business run like this can sustain itself in the long term. 

And if Barcades start failing, there's gonna be a whole bunch of routed games flooding the market. Which could be good or bad.

#29 4 years ago

The barman says, “We don’t serve time travellers in here.”
    A time traveller walks into a bar.

This cowboy walks into a bar.
    His hat is made of brown wrapping paper.
    His shirt and vest are made of waxed paper.
    And his chaps, pants, and boots are made of tissue paper.
    Pretty soon they arrest him for rustling.

#30 4 years ago

A man runs into a bar.
    Panting, he tells the barkeep, “Give me ten shots of your best whiskey—quick!”
    So the barkeep sets them up and the man knocks them all back in seconds.
    “Why you drinking so fast?” asks the barkeep.
    “You’d drink fast too, if you had what I have,” says the man.
    “Why, what do you have?” asks the barkeep.
    “Only twelve cents.”

#31 4 years ago

A termite walks into a bar and asks "is the bartender here?"

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from Puffdanny:

I go to the local barcade on occasion to play for a couple hours after work.I will order a drink as i walk in and pass the bar to the pinball machines (in full view of bar)that will be my only drink of the night.doesn't matter whos working they only get up and put their phone down to go outside to smoke.I'm pretty sure I've never been offered a second drink and I'm usually the only one in the bar,at most I've seen 2 other patrons.greatest kept games worst service....

I grew up in Flat Rock. There's an arcade bar in Monroe? Puffdanny

#33 4 years ago

A man walks into a bar and asks for a beer. After drinking it, he looks in his shirt pocket and then proceeds to ask for another beer.

After drinking the next one, he again looks in his shirt pocket and again asks for another beer.

This happens about another seven times before the curious bartender finally asks him, “Say, every time you order a beer, you look in your shirt pocket. Why is that?”

The man replies, “I have a picture of my wife in there. When she starts to look good, I’ll go home.”

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

OUCH!

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Three vampires walk into a bar. The first one says, "I'll have a pint of blood."
    The second one says, "I'll have one, too."
    The third one says, "I'll have a pint of plasma."
    The bartender says, "So, that'll be two Bloods and a Blood Lite?"

I have to admit, I chuckled.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from tullster:

A Pirate walks into a bar with steering wheel sticking out of the front of his pants. Bartender says "What's up with the Steering Wheel?" Pirate says "Aarrgh! It's drivin' me nuts!"

Major chuckle!

#37 4 years ago

A guy walks into a bar. He sits down and orders a drink. He says to the bartender; "see that guy down at the end of the bar? He's a real douchebag." The bartender says, "why do you say that?" The guy says, "Just trust me. He's a douchebag". The bartender says, "I don't think that's very nice, I'm going to buy him a drink". So the bartender walks down to the end of the bar and says, "Hey fella. I'm going to buy your next drink. What'll ya' have?". The guy replies; "I'll have a vinegar and water"............ baaada bump!

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from jahbarron:

I grew up in Flat Rock. There's an arcade bar in Monroe? puffdanny

I grew up in Monroe, and make a trip back now and then. There's an arcade bar in Monroe?

#39 4 years ago

Guy walks into a bar with a set of jumper cables ... bar tender takes one look at him and says Ok buddy you can have a drink .... but you better not try & start anything

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

I haven’t had a drink in 17 years at a bar, I buy a soda water or a bottle of water and have yet to ever be kicked out of a bar for not drinking enough.
    As much as I don’t like the look of employees in any business staring at their phones rather than actually working the times are a changing and I’m not going to spend any additional energy actually worrying about it... last thing I need is another ok boomer comment

If I'm paying them, and my policy is no personal calls or cell phones while on duty, then that's the way it's going to be. Most of my employees have worked for me 8+ years. The ones that have left were seasonal part-time help that I would not have expected to work more than a season or two. Everyone knows I'm easy to work for, just follow my guidelines.

#41 4 years ago

A priest and a blonde walk into a bar. The bartender says "what is this, some kind of joke?".

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from jahbarron:

I grew up in Flat Rock. There's an arcade bar in Monroe? puffdanny

I also grew up in Flat Rock until I was 10.there's a barcade in Downtown Monroe. One of the mod stores on here @ulekstore operates the games and keeps them like they are home use!!!!

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from ShaunoftheDead:

A naked blonde walks into a bar, carrying a poodle under one arm and a 6 foot salami under the other. The Bartender says, 'So, I don't suppose you'd be needing a drink?' The blonde says

..."OH $HIT!!!!!!!"

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-my-brother-amp-nephew-walk-into-a-bar?hl=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.