Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by bjorg
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tron-guy-legacy.jpg
    tron_g.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dgpinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 11 years ago

We must be in the midst of some kind of mania, no way is any Stern game worth that kind of coin.

Whatever it is about Tron that makes sane people go nuts, I just don't get, it's an average game at best, even all pimped out, IMO.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I have both games. I think Tron is actually a lot more fun. It's has better sound, a better sound track, a way better light show, and the flow is great. MM is neat, but to be honest, a lot of the newer stuff Stern is putting out makes it look dated.

Seriously, couldn't disagree more strongly, what Stern is putting out now just shows how fantastic the WMS games from the late 90's were, still better in just about every way. I like a few of the Stern's but IMO, they are just not in the same league.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Ehhhhh, I don't know about that. While some games are better, Williams had a bunch of lesser popular titles in the mid-late 90's : Congo, Dirty Harry, Flintstones, Jackbot, Johnny M, junkyard, No Fear. Now in no way am I bashing those titles (Jackbot is my favorite game and I love Congo, DH, Flint, and JY), but those aren't quite up to snuff with a LOTR, SM, Tron, POTC, ACDC, etc. And games like TotAN, MB, and CV tend to be more eye candy than playability by a lot of people's standards (though I think they are great games too, especially since I just picked up a CV). And of course we can bring in the whole Pin2K discussion and how emotional people get talking about those games and how many hate them (I own both, so again I am not bashing)
    I think if you take MM out of the picture (the diamond standard of what a near perfect game should be to most people), these two companies are pretty close to each other with good and bad (though Stern did have some real stinkers). If we take the last 10+ years of each, B/W gets Popeye and Hurricane in the list.... the TRS and RCT of B/W

You make some valid points, but to me there is just a sameness to all the Stern games that drives me crazy The Stern games that stands out to me is Family Guy, it was creative in a way that most others are not, very difficult for me to put into words, more of a feel thing than anything else.

Take the last 3 sterns, and with the exception of LED lighting, compare them to the games Williams put out 20 years ago, Addams, T2, TZ etc, could you really tell which was the newer game? Compare that to the state of computers, and other electronic tech, it's not even close!

Anyway, as far as the original point of this thread, I will give credit to Stern for apparently tapping into a collecting mania, there seems to almost be a fear that if you don't get one of these "LE's" right away, you'll never get one, it's similar to what video game makers used to do with their consoles and selected titles, restrict early production to create a frenzy, only of course in that world it's on an infinitely bigger scale. I'm sure there are people on this forum who have a standing preorder for any new LE at their distributors just so they don't miss out

In any case, it's a free market, if you think you are getting good value in a Tron LE for close to $11K, then it's your money, but I sure hope you like it, because you aren't likely to ever get your $$$ out of it, especially if this bubble we seems to be in bursts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dgpinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-much-for-the-market-bursting?tu=dgpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.