Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by horseypin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20150718_210833359.jpg
    IMG_20150718_210846525.jpg
    IMG_20150718_210913509.jpg
    IMG_20150718_210820136.jpg
    IMG_20150718_210903114.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

So I have over the past year gotten a few projects to work on 9 to be exact. I did have them all setup but realized trying to work on all 9 at the the same time is insane. Its like bouncing around a real life playfield. I have one machine partially apart right now but my real issue is I don't know where to start with getting some of them working 100%! They all have problems from physical cabinet damage to basket case. I have taken 6 apart and have them "stored" 2 are still upright and one is offsite at my shop for people to "look at". What are your thoughts on where to start. Just looking for opinions it comes down to me but always interested to hear from others. Thanks!

IMG_20150718_210903114.jpgIMG_20150718_210903114.jpg

IMG_20150718_210820136.jpgIMG_20150718_210820136.jpg

IMG_20150718_210913509.jpgIMG_20150718_210913509.jpg

IMG_20150718_210846525.jpgIMG_20150718_210846525.jpg

IMG_20150718_210833359.jpgIMG_20150718_210833359.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Pick ONE game and finish it then pick another and another and another till all are done and don't even think about getting another "project" game till all you have are done.

#3 8 years ago

I *try* to do one at a time.

But every time I get a new project in, I jump to that one for a bit--sealing the backglass, checking the electrical system, making note of problems, etc.

So...I end up with 2-3 going simultaneously because of what's the latest one coming in the door, and getting stuck briefly on the technical issues or parts research on others.

I haven't figured out a good system yet, other than to just force myself to focus on one. Otherwise, if I keep bouncing around between them, they will never get done. Multitasking has certainly not been the best approach so far.

At least I have a full year before the next nearby pinball show to get at least one fully ready...

#4 8 years ago

Start with the one that needs the least work. At least then, you will be up and playing some pinball sooner rather than later!

I guess it depends on what your end game is: Is it your intent to keep them, or sell them in order to generate some more revenue to upgrade to more desirable titles. If your intent is to flip, then maybe your best starting point is the game with the most value.

#5 8 years ago

Work on the lightest project 1st. That way youll feel like you accomplished something & youll have a pin you can play when you don`t fell like fixing the next one...

#6 8 years ago

Start at the beginning, fix the power supply, then work your way though the rest of the game

#7 8 years ago

Hey, you could sell a couple
    To me!!

#8 8 years ago

A good setup is to have three on the go at once, so when you hit a snag on one, like needing parts or some frustrating problem, you can switch to one of the others and work on that until you hit another snag or the parts for the first one arrive. But more than three going at once is too hard to keep track of.

Pick them based on the amount of work from least to most.

I'd also recommend making a "chart", like a medical chart, for each game you're working on that lists the problems, steps you've performed so far, and any parts needed/ordered. That way you don't need it in your head, and writing it down makes it easier to manage and understand.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Hey, you could sell a couple
    To me!!

Everythings for sale for a price!

Great input from all! I think what I will do for now is continue on the machine have have half apart get it back together and then pick 1 to really dig into. It does stink that none of them I can actually play. Eventually it will get there. Hopefully I don't find more projects although my wife hasn't said anything about how many I have yet!

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

So...I end up with 2-3 going simultaneously because of what's the latest one coming in the door, and getting stuck briefly on the technical issues or parts research on others.

This is how I am.

I also like having a few going at once because I can take a step back and make sure I'm happy with something before getting impatient and moving on. And it helps me not burn out on things.

#11 8 years ago

Do you know you like the titles you have?

I often get project pins that I have never played the title or only have very limited time on that title.

I like to do the least I can do to get the pin playing reasonably well (flipper rebuild, new rubber, quick clean of the playfield, make sure the important targets and lights work). I can normally get this done in an evening if the pin was not a basket case.

After that I just put the pin in my line up and play it for a while and see if I like the pin. If the pin does not "speak" to me after being in my line up for a while I will move it onto a new home.

I don't have enough time to fix/restore every pin I get. I am happy to spend time fixing up a title that a really love playing, but otherwise I find it a better use of my time to just move along a pin I don't like to someone who wants the title and wants to fix it up on their own.

#12 8 years ago

Sell two of the basket cases today for whatever you bought them for. Just move them out the door, unless they are a particular game that you love. That will free up a bit of resource, and take the biggest headaches out of the group.

Then yes, a couple (or as Fantasygoat said, 3) going at a time to account for delays or parts. Make sure one of them is a game you think is fun to play.

Finally, make sure the others are safely stored to not deteriorate anymore. Make sure none of them are moldy or other issues / critters that could spread. And cover them up out of sight.

At that point you are down to a manageable workload, so it is time to enjoy the work. Obviously you enjoy the work, or you wouldn't be doing it. So relax dig into it. Your first goal is get one playable. And your second goal is to get a different one playing fantastic. Crack a beer, it's going to be a long night

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from marcgans:

Everythings for sale for a price!
    Great input from all! I think what I will do for now is continue on the machine have have half apart get it back together and then pick 1 to really dig into. It does stink that none of them I can actually play. Eventually it will get there. Hopefully I don't find more projects although my wife hasn't said anything about how many I have yet!

Also, you should scan your Full House cabinet and backbox and send me the files so I can make stencils for mine. It has very little paint left.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

Also, you should scan your Full House cabinet and backbox and send me the files so I can make stencils for mine. It has very little paint left.

Full House is actually one of the games I was trying to sell. It doesn't work currently and the cabinet has a crack down the length on one side. I had it up cheap with no interest. The playfield is really nice.

#15 8 years ago

So I took some time to look over all the machines to try to figure out how to proceed. I guess what will have to happen is I take one machine see if I can get it going to see how the game plays. My fear is if I just dump a couple machines to free up space I will regret not at least to try to play it as it might be a fun game and since there aren't many places to play you can't try before you buy. Thanks for all your input its great!

#16 8 years ago

Put them all on a skid and a blanket over them except the chosen pin.
    Suggest buying parts rather then attempting taking some off one to fix another it will just create more work.

#17 8 years ago

I would start with any games of the same platform and do them at the same time so you can test/compare to each other.

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

I would start with any games of the same platform and do them at the same time so you can test/compare to each other.

This also makes ordering parts a little easier.

#19 8 years ago

wow, I thought I was bad having both a high speed and an earthshaker playfield taken apart at the same time. Working on more than one machine at a time is a big no no, and after I get these 2 back together I vow to never do it again. One thing that has DEFINITELY motivated me was building a rotisserie. It doesn't sound like it makes it that much easier but believe me... Not having to crouch over a cabinet, being able to sit down and reach over and work on teardown/rebuild, touchups with total comfort (and easily being able to flip over to the other side) makes a HUGE difference in productivity.

#20 8 years ago

Right now I have four games on the go, all at various stages. My big problem is finding time to work on them. I've been working on that stupid Meteor for like 9 months now.

Probably the toughest part is to stop combing the classifieds for new projects.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Probably the toughest part is to stop combing the classifieds for new projects.

Bargain hunting sure is addictive, isn't it?

#22 8 years ago

I might miss a deal!

That's how I ended up with project #4, a HUO Bally Paragon for $300.

#23 8 years ago

the projects will always be there for sale and its tough to believe just that.and its always refreshing to get something different to diagnose and repair.
    suggest the main issue is motivation. its now completely boring and i catch shit for it: "working on that machine again?" while going downstairs for something else,i see the project and its artwork and cant help to think about it, what I did last,got stuck on,and what parts I need.
    its like a slap in the face.

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

wow, I thought I was bad having both a High Speed and an earthshaker playfield taken apart at the same time. Working on more than one machine at a time is a big no no, and after I get these 2 back together I vow to never do it again. One thing that has DEFINITELY motivated me was building a rotisserie. It doesn't sound like it makes it that much easier but believe me... Not having to crouch over a cabinet, being able to sit down and reach over and work on teardown/rebuild, touchups with total comfort (and easily being able to flip over to the other side) makes a HUGE difference in productivity.

Rotisserie's to me are another tool that takes up space. Abeit small amount when broken down. I just don't see the need. I have a workbench / bar that I use. Use beer can's for the height adjust. When I do a playfield swap I make sure I have 16-24 hours of dedicated time in a 2 week time period and get after it. Don't wait and go all out in those times. I try to do it quickly and efficiently then parts don't sit around. Plan up front and then roll out as fast as humanly possible. This helps in 2 area's. Not forgeting and not having NOS swaps or projects sit. I find my work is significantly better.

#25 8 years ago

Finishing projects is the biggest underestimated skill of them all. Doesn't matter whether it's making a song or restoring a game

There's nothing wrong with working on multiple projects, but the skill of completing is really important, imo imo imo.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-many-projects-what-to-do and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.