Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by valgalder
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What is your favorite pinball bar in Chicago?”

• Emporium Logan Square 0 votes
    • Emporium Wicker Park 1 vote
      2%
    • Logan Arcade 40 votes
      80%
    • Headquarters Lakeview 3 votes
      6%
    • Headquarters River North 6 votes
      12%

(50 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider valgalder.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 9 years ago

Chicago is on fire (bad pun), when it comes to the arcade / barcade scene. When I first moved here, only the first Emporium existed with the Headquarters opening shortly after. It's just amazing and really fortunate to be in a place with such a healthy scene. I used to frequent Headquarters the most, especially when they expanded to the Pinball room, but ever since Logan Arcade moved in to where the record store was and expanded, it's basically the only place I go to now for a couple reasons. Headquarters is still worth checking because it's free, but yeah, most of the crowed is terrible there and aren't there to play in any serious matter, so you'll have games set on 4 player and people will walk away. (i'll usually just turn the game off and on myself). Beer selection is good, but pricy (not surprising, since games are free). I'd say it's the 2nd best place though.

For those asking about bringing kids, I would still suggest going to the Logan Hardware Record store) which is a block down from the barcade), as they still have a somewhat hidden back room with a few pins and bunch of classic arcade machines, which are all on free play if you buy anything in the record shop.

The Logan Arcade is amazing and the one I frequent the most (too much for my own good). I go there half of the time to play the 10 player (5 on 5) arcade game Killer Queen, which is the most fun and addicting game i've played in years. The local scene for that game is constantly growing, as is the competition. League nights, every Wednesday and tournaments usually once a month. Easy and welcoming to jump in and play, learn with some really great people and friends I've met through it.

That aside, the Pins are great too with a great selection from different eras. Unfortunately, they seem to have raised the prices on most of the newer games, so that's a bit of a bummer.. but overall they keep the games running better than the other locations. Beer selection is good, but wish they would rotate some of the taps more often and have a little more of a variety, but still

Not a big fan of Emporium in Wicker Park, mainly because it's loud and obnoxious, sometimes they charge a cover in the side with the stage when they have DJ's and junk, when I all I want to do is play some pinball.. overall I hate the scene there. The new Emporium is a little better because it's a roomier, have an ok selection of Pins that are all on 25 cents, which is nice. Less crowded.

So far, the bubble hasn't seem to burst yet, and all the locations seem to be busy most of the time, which is great.

basically, Chicago rules!

2 weeks later
    #75 9 years ago

I was wondering myself when the barcade bubble will burst. Judging by the crowds at places like Headquarters, most of them go to party first with gaming more of a novelty experience. I think once that grows thin, they have have trouble.. but I don't really know. Logan has more of a mixed crowd with quite a few people that go to actually play games and the atmosphere is a lot more chill to just hang and have a few drinks without it being too loud and clubby.

I really have no idea how all 7 barcades (!) will be able to survive in the long run, but I hope they do! So far the 4 that I go to been to seem to be pretty busy though most of the nights. Totally forgot about the ones in Uptown that are opening. Lets not forget the the (non, bar)arcades in the suburbs too like the amazing Galloping Ghost in Brookfield and the Underground Retrocade in Dundee.. pure craziness. Great time to be a gamer in Chicago.. that's for sure!

#77 9 years ago

Now Replay is opening another location in Andersonville? I can't keep up!

http://chicago.gopride.com/news/article.cfm/articleid/65005249

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider valgalder.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-many-chicago-barcades?tu=valgalder and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.