Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by valgalder
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What is your favorite pinball bar in Chicago?”

• Emporium Logan Square 0 votes
    • Emporium Wicker Park 1 vote
      2%
    • Logan Arcade 40 votes
      80%
    • Headquarters Lakeview 3 votes
      6%
    • Headquarters River North 6 votes
      12%

(50 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 9 years ago
    Quoted from Razorbak86:

You could say this about ANY bar or restaurant in the USA. Some of the highest failure rates in business, regardless of whether or not they have pins or arcade machines.

Ofcourse. They are 99% of the time a horrible investment for long term.

#52 9 years ago
    Quoted from inhomearcades:

I am aware of two others opening soon in Chicago. Idk about the operations of the other bars but some of the ones just don't seem to have the financial backing needed if things slow down. I predict that a few will fold up.

This is true. Some of these places are also owned by bar groups or by young folks with money and with other interests. I feel like if the market sours, these will shutter like the themed bars just before them. The Namco one should be fun to watch. I'm not going to worry about it too much, though. While I spend a lot of my time at Logan (fantastic variety everywhere), I go to both HQs (top ten titles for days; games I cannot afford) and both Emporiums (to shake it up a bit). I'm just gonna soak this resurgence up like a fella born in 1979 should. I love it!

#53 9 years ago

Ofcourse. They are 99% of the time a horrible investment for long term.

Horrible investments are always the most fun, though!

#54 9 years ago

Emporium Logan Square is already shying away from their "table edition" idea. They recently hauled in like 20 vids. You wouldn't notice it with all of that space. They should have added like 5 more air hockey tables.

#55 9 years ago
    Quoted from Barron:

I guess this follows my "logic" of bad decisions make the best stories...

#56 9 years ago
    Quoted from Barron:

Investments and women.

#57 9 years ago

Might be visiting the Loop area in a month or two. Any good Barcades near there? I keep hearing from people how many there are!

#58 9 years ago

I'm going to visit Chicago this week, I'll definitely visit Logan's this time (to play MMR). Don't think you can have too many barcades

#59 9 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Might be visiting the Loop area in a month or two. Any good Barcades near there? I keep hearing from people how many there are!

The radio station?

#60 9 years ago

Logan.

I LOVE KILLER QUEEN!

#61 9 years ago
    Quoted from Barron:

The radio station?

The loop, it's one of the most important parts of the city.

#62 9 years ago

The loop, it's one of the most important parts of the city.

I kid, I kid. I thought Ben was being sarcastic for some reason.

If you're in The Loop, you can pretty much get to any of them by train with little effort. With Headquarters River North being the closest, you could probably take a cab there inexpensively. Otherwise, it's off of the Chicago Ave stop on the Brown Line (Kimball).

Train stops from downtown for the others: HQ Lakeview, Diversey stop on the Brown Line (Kimball); Emporium Wicker Park, Damen stop on the Blue Line (O'Hare); Emporium Logan Square & Logan Arcade, California stop on the Blue Line (O'Hare). Alternatively, for Logan Arcade, you can get off at Western on the Blue Line (O'Hare) and it's a 1/2 mile north on Western until you get to Fullerton Ave.

#63 9 years ago
    Quoted from Barron:

I kid, I kid. I thought Ben was being sarcastic for some reason.
    If you're in The Loop, you can pretty much get to any of them by train with little effort. With Headquarters River North being the closest, you could probably take a cab there inexpensively. Otherwise, it's off of the Chicago Ave stop on the Brown Line (Kimball).
    Train stops from downtown for the others: HQ Lakeview, Diversey stop on the Brown Line (Kimball); Emporium Wicker Park, Damen stop on the Blue Line (O'Hare); Emporium Logan Square & Logan Arcade, California stop on the Blue Line (O'Hare). Alternatively, for Logan Arcade, you can get off at Western on the Blue Line (O'Hare) and it's a 1/2 mile north on Western until you get to Fullerton Ave.

Okay, I wasn't sure, but was totally thinking in my head "is this guy serious?". Given you just provided awesome directions, you clearly know the city. Cheers

#64 9 years ago

Unfortunately, there's not a single pinball machine in the entire loop that I'm aware of. If somebody knows one, speak up! I need somewhere to burn my quarters during lunch.

#65 9 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

Unfortunately, there's not a single pinball machine in the entire loop that I'm aware of. If somebody knows one, speak up! I need somewhere to burn my quarters during lunch.

There's a beat up Sopranos at Dick's Last Resort on Dearborn right near the river. The safe didn't register hits and it was dirty, but it worked alright.

#66 9 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

Talk your boss into leasing one, I have a few offices that I lease to.

#67 9 years ago
    Quoted from MiamiRedSkin:

There's a beat up Sopranos at Dick's Last Resort on Dearborn right near the river. The safe didn't register hits and it was dirty, but it worked alright.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Talk your boss into leasing one, I have a few offices that I lease to.

I'm working on it. A ping pong table is probably coming, so won't be much of a leap from there, right??

#68 9 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

I remember when there was a lot of them. Bally had their Aladdin's Castle in the loop and there was another arcade on Randolph (South side of the street) between State & Dearborn.

#69 9 years ago

Is that Block 37 now?

#70 9 years ago
    Quoted from catboxer:

Is that Block 37 now?

Yep, the building that housed the arcade came down in 1989 for the Block 37 Project. What a clusterfcuk that turned out to be.

I saw a prototype Strikes & Spares at that arcade in early 1978.

#71 9 years ago

My son and I caught Headquaters (river north) when it opened friday afternoon got to play many machines but Tron was down with a flipper problem. We had a great time, he went to go with friends this sat night same location there was a line around the block so they left.

#72 9 years ago
    Quoted from indybru:

My son and I caught Headquaters (river north) when it opened friday afternoon got to play many machines but Tron was down with a flipper problem. We had a great time, he went to go with friends this sat night same location there was a line around the block so they left.

Glad you had a good time. Yea the lines at the two locations can get to be a little out of control. Its crazy considering how large the place is both up and down stairs combined. Hopefully they find their way back down there on a night that they don't have a wait to get in. If they are headed down a particular day send me a PM, I'll see if I can get them past the line.

#73 9 years ago
    Quoted from Barron:

Thats what I told my wife about the strippers...

#74 9 years ago
    Quoted from MiamiRedSkin:

Thanks man. They also have a POTC now. Safe still doesn't register, but it's more than I've had before!

1 week later
    #75 9 years ago

I was wondering myself when the barcade bubble will burst. Judging by the crowds at places like Headquarters, most of them go to party first with gaming more of a novelty experience. I think once that grows thin, they have have trouble.. but I don't really know. Logan has more of a mixed crowd with quite a few people that go to actually play games and the atmosphere is a lot more chill to just hang and have a few drinks without it being too loud and clubby.

I really have no idea how all 7 barcades (!) will be able to survive in the long run, but I hope they do! So far the 4 that I go to been to seem to be pretty busy though most of the nights. Totally forgot about the ones in Uptown that are opening. Lets not forget the the (non, bar)arcades in the suburbs too like the amazing Galloping Ghost in Brookfield and the Underground Retrocade in Dundee.. pure craziness. Great time to be a gamer in Chicago.. that's for sure!

#76 9 years ago
    Quoted from valgalder:

I was wondering myself when the barcade bubble will burst. Judging by the crowds at places like Headquarters, most of them go to party first with gaming more of a novelty experience. I think once that grows thin, they have have trouble.. but I don't really know. Logan has more of a mixed crowd with quite a few people that go to actually play games and the atmosphere is a lot more chill to just hang and have a few drinks without it being too loud and clubby.
    I really have no idea how all 7 barcades (!) will be able to survive in the long run, but I hope they do! So far the 4 that I go to been to seem to be pretty busy though most of the nights. Totally forgot about the ones in Uptown that are opening. Lets not forget the the (non, bar)arcades in the suburbs too like the amazing Galloping Ghost in Brookfield and the Underground Retrocade in Dundee.. pure craziness. Great time to be a gamer in Chicago.. that's for sure!

I see Logan as becoming a lone survivor, based on your same observations. Headquarters, while great and in a excellent location for revenue. Has a turn over crowd from other walking distance Clark and Sheffield bars. In that area for the people, it's all about what's new and trendy. Logan is creating a destination atmosphere. Anyway, I think this wont be a issue for the next 3-4 years.

#77 9 years ago

Now Replay is opening another location in Andersonville? I can't keep up!

http://chicago.gopride.com/news/article.cfm/articleid/65005249

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-many-chicago-barcades/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.