EA7EA67D-8658-4B5B-BA5A-57B3F434A142 (resized).jpeg
heat ray (resized).JPG
IN OUT (resized).jpg
752C0C72-4489-46FD-B3E0-24264D13C526 (resized).jpeg
F9811986-9060-4EEF-98DF-FEBC4FB22504 (resized).jpeg
godzilla_mothra_1 (resized).jpg
3FC48FC8-E596-4B0F-8267-9B10935BD917 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chickenscratch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1391 2 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

LE is sold out !

Nah, I know of half a dozen still left around the country

#1459 2 years ago
Quoted from kerokero:

I’ll help you out. My son has his big G figure still:[quoted image]

Yes, this may be the one I had as a child. Any Googleable details? Would it fit you think?

#1583 2 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I am a Godzilla fan and I am so happy Zombie Yetti went in the direction he did. I freaked out (not in a good way) when I heard Stern was going with TOHO. All of you TOHO fans need to wake up and admit that the original TOHO designs and colors would look ridiculously outdated if executed on a modern game. Godzilla has been around for a long time and has been evolving the entire time. I personally think that Yetti did the Godzilla legacy some serious justice and will no doubt create some news fans. It’s Pinball people and it’s a business, the game should be fun, eye catching and appeal to the MASSES.......not what’s left of you diehard TOHO nerds.

Quoted from jimwe5t:

You are right on the money, as ZY nailed the artwork so well and it would have been outdated big time had ZY gone with the real old artwork of 1954. Wouldn’t bode well for GZ in the long run and modern fans would not take a liking to it. The artwork is so exciting and does GZ justice in continuing advancement of the franchise. Can see what ZY was going for in a dark arcade setting to have the colors pop, to be better seen amongst a sea of other machines even in low light settings.

ZY actually discusses this in depth in the Stern Insider podcast. He tried the original TOHO colors first and said it looked like an absolute turd - unworkable. He stated he took most of his design inspirations from posters, comics and action figures from the era, with his own spin. He doesn't like to trace, redo what was done, etc. so does his own spin. Also mentioned is that he found it very tough to draw Godzilla, and enjoyed doing Mechagodzilla much more.

Quoted from karl:

I think it is a bit funny when some say that the art is not good, they actually mean the colors, not the art. The color style is something that is always debatable. Personally, I love the color style in both this one and Avengers, but I can understand that others might think it is a little too Deadpool/Marvel. In my opinion the colors should pop in a pinball machine. That is what draws people in, in the long run.
I have yet to see somebody actually point out what is bad art on the playfield. After looking at it closely, I can't understand that anything about it could even be described as close to bad. Mr. Yeti has included so much from the franchise and he has done a killer job. Remember, there are decades with different art and movies to consider. On top of that, you also want to draw in new people not super into the franchise. To me it is top notch.
Even more important, the layout looks like a homerun for the 4th time. In my opinion no designer today comes even close to Elwin. The toys and mechs on the premium looks bonkers insane. Can't wait for gameplay reveal on Friday.

That all being said, the only thing I don't like about the artwork is Godzilla himself, and his watermelon rind scales, and proportions. I don't mind the colors at all, love the colors... it's pinball, typically in a dark room. The non-redeeming factor, and I'm not sure who's court this was in, is the Godzilla mold in the back-left. Not sure how that went through the layers of Stern and got stamps of approval.

All this really being said... none of this holds me back from a purchase and it'll all grow on me (and I'll rip/replace the mold with a classic era action figure).

#1596 2 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Well, I think the Godzilla figure is supposed to harken back to the (somewhat crappy) vintage toy from the 70s
[quoted image]

Avocadozilla!!! Could have even won over the millennials

#1613 2 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

I think a lot of the reason why ZY did the style of art that he did is because he is likely limited to the detail of the art. When doing art that is printed it needs to meet a certain criteria. He likely stayed within the boundaries of his detail for the sake of money in the complexity of the printing.

He mentions in the Stern Insider podcast that he did a lot of different iterations of the design, and wasn't truly happy with any of them, but ultimately, you gotta do something and move forward. I agree, that between the mix of his art style, making it pinball-colorful, conforming to pinball shot-info, what he had to work with for sources of inspiration, etc. - well, this is what you get. It's great, other than watermelon Godzilla, imo. But... it'll just make me giggle over time, that's about it. Still fantastic work all-around. I mean, we have HOW MANY iterations of Godzilla over time... why not one more unique one

#1618 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

It’s not unique. Been done before.
[quoted image]

Ya it's close, in proportions/color, but I don't instantly think watermelon when looking at that issue

#1631 2 years ago
Quoted from Jfmav:

I am in for a Mando-zilla Premium. Anyone know when they will start shipping? Also will he be "mecha" or "beskar?"

Probably need to wait for the next series of Mando to come out when Grogu takes on his final form and becomes Watermelonzilla; I can now do the similarities between The Childs plumpy head and Godzilla’s plumpy watermelon body, and the stretch marks that occur. Mecha is made out of beskar in this crossover - duh

#1655 2 years ago
Quoted from Hoteldrummer:

LOL, the cactus/watermelon comment! I'm not the only one and you are totally right, those of us who can will be getting one and it definitely looks cool AF

C’mon… man…

A235F207-06F6-4A83-BDF0-9BB88B7CD163 (resized).jpegA235F207-06F6-4A83-BDF0-9BB88B7CD163 (resized).jpegC79F5039-39C1-4179-9A22-DDB33B6382EE (resized).jpegC79F5039-39C1-4179-9A22-DDB33B6382EE (resized).jpegFFD5A817-68B9-421B-AFF3-CEA1AAD9C4F6 (resized).jpegFFD5A817-68B9-421B-AFF3-CEA1AAD9C4F6 (resized).jpeg
#1659 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

You may have missed my point entirely. ZYs Godzilla looks like…a Godzilla.

Ya but you may have missed my point, to be lighthearted, have fun and take on a joke. I said shit, 5/6 hours ago that we’ve had so many iterations over the past 60+ years, why not one more. So, lighten up and refuse to join the low-T Pinside bitchfest - you may nuke this response as long as you have fun doing it

#1662 2 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

I don't know, this cactus kind of looks like Godzilla.
[quoted image]

Mind blown… nice find. We should have a contest to find the closest looking cactus and winner gets a custom topper

#1664 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Whoever keeps changing my topic title please stop it already!! I changed it to hype thread once the game was revealed.

Can we just rename to “Cactus vs. Watermelon: But it’s still a Godzilla” so everyone can be happy?

#1667 2 years ago

It’s definitely game hype!!

Could be THE hype thread, but will they do it?

#1677 2 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Now, for the Topper. What do you think this will be like?

Answered in another thread, will look like this action figure in a Watermelon for Godzillaception to come full circle. I can be arsed to PS a mock-up upon enough ego stroking requests

60DDE316-4505-4BEE-91AC-FA05CB0286B4 (resized).jpeg60DDE316-4505-4BEE-91AC-FA05CB0286B4 (resized).jpeg
#1679 2 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

I don't know, this cactus kind of looks like Godzilla.
[quoted image]

Off topic, but what’s the best pinball place up in the cities? I’ll be up for the weekend in a little over a week. I use the map, but interested in a locals take.

#1681 2 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Topper?? Got to be Heisei era Godzilla looking around with glowing eyes.
[quoted image]

I’m ok with this, a little BKSOR follow up

#1694 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

S and S billards Hopkins, Tilt in mpls.

Oh geez, that place looks perfect. All the JJP pins I've always wanted to play, plus a whole slew of classics... and LTG on the window in neon lmao - this his place?

#1696 2 years ago

Oh, another interesting tidbit from the Stern Insider podcast. I guess they completely redid the stepper motor assembly so there should be no issues like JP, and they are very confident in it and running routes.

#1703 2 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

Tilt in Minneapolis, and it would be a crime to not head out and see LTG at SS Billiards in Hopkins.
One of my favorite spots used to be Blainbrook Bowl, but since I got rid of my car, I never make it out that way any more. So many classic games in one spot.

Yaaaas, these two places are all I need - cheers!!

#1705 2 years ago

Is there a size scale for the Godzilla toy yet?

I wish, so I could buy now before everything on eBay is 10x price or gone. Might bust out measuring tape and make guesstimate of pf to glass and get one. At worst, you lop off some feet.

Decided to do it lol before posting before my good idea goes to waste. Pf to glass in that area about 7-3/4.

Oddly, most eBay ads put height right in title, which is handy! Picked up a 1985 6” TOHO which looks exactly like what I had as a child, so awesome nostalgia.

Good luck! Godzilla action figure sellers aint gunna know what hit them!

333A0348-8D55-4B9C-81F7-BF036AD26E8E (resized).jpeg333A0348-8D55-4B9C-81F7-BF036AD26E8E (resized).jpeg
#1706 2 years ago

Picked up this one too from 1968, as it just might fit ZY design better; can’t go wrong now, and anything is better than what’s there

67D76AF5-C32B-4FFF-B267-BA4E7F6132BD (resized).jpeg67D76AF5-C32B-4FFF-B267-BA4E7F6132BD (resized).jpeg

#1708 2 years ago

Is there a size scale for the Godzilla toy yet?

owhhh, why you downvote me for replying and doing legwork to measure? Ultimately don’t care, but unexpected and thus curious.

#1712 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

when is Jack Danger streaming??

Fri 6PM CDT I believe

#1719 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

This game looks to be the complete package. Yes artwork is subjective, but the 3 packages appear to be some of ZY’s best work to date. Love the bright colors and attention to detail on this epic machine. Think this will go down as the top game of all time, if people are honest in their reviews. Like George G. said, its been a long time since we’ve seen something like this. We know it will shoot well with Keith at the helm. What is there, at least a dozen shots and the typical game has around 7? Game of the year and even decade imo.
ZY for sure did research on GZ artwork of the past before he began the work, as any professional artist does. GZ movie Godzilla is near black, so in an art package, all detail would be lost. ZY did the smart thing, just as the artist in 1954 did on poster and comic artwork, they used color to pop and show detail. This artwork is a phenomenal package by the standards of any artist in the field. His research from the past 66 years of Godzilla is spot on in detail and is so impressive. If he had done anything different, it would not look so impressive. What a stellar job ZY, my hats off to you for such a professionally superb art package on all 3 machines! Congratulations!! (1954 Godzilla debut poster done by original artist for proof how spot on ZY artwork has been done.) (the watermelon, pickle and vegetable comments are unkind and shows people’s ignorance on truly stellar art.)[quoted image]

Very nice write-up, and mostly agree. However, one can be kind and critical/honest/whatever. If this was the Godzilla on the pf, I'd be more than stoked, as it's the one I grew up with and the one I was expecting, not Watermelonzilla. But... ultimately it's whatever, a new version of the King and is more than fine. Great artwork, just not what's expected, and that just takes time. In due time, it may be THE Godzilla everyone references, at least in pinhead-land.

#1724 2 years ago
Quoted from SirMachismo:

I came across this one today at a movie theater (before I saw your post), it looked too big for the space available under glass. It was up on a shelf, but it looked like it is at least 9” tall but most likely a foot tall. I hope the is helps.
Those eyes! Thankfully ZY didn’t use those eyes for his inspiration.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Ohhhh, but those are the eyes I grew up with, that was my action figure right there, albeit the 6.5" version I bought off ebay (same look as that one). It's all subjective, especially with 60+ iterations of Godzilla over time; ZY was doomed to make little happy. We'll all be happy when it's in our hands.

#1730 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Stating opinions, is outrage?

People forget what forums are... live with them long enough, and we forget that we're just a room full of people talking in various circles

#1732 2 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

PLEASE Show me the One of the 60 + that looks like the skin on this one ?
Hey on another note , I am getting an LE and the thing is i feel the price is justified being Tron pro's get 10k for what that game is .
So 10800 to the door is nothing

No, no, no... that's what I'm saying. We've had 60+ different iterations of Godzilla, ZY is just another one and is fine, as they are all quite different, often-times.

And I agree, getting an LE myself, and stoked. I'll either grow used to Watermelonzilla or giggle at it every time, but to be honest, I so rarely look at pf art... I just like to play good pinball.

#1734 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Buy an airbrush kit at harbor freight and paint gz. Easy solution

Ha, I couldn't paint a stick figure

And... I just really don't like the skull, if I'm honest; paint won't fix that but a $20 eBay piece of my favorite GZ iteration will

Edit: hold up, I thought we were talking the mold here, what you talking about? I aint airbrushing shit other than the mold, and I aint even airbrushing the mold. I got my talents in life, and airbrushing a pf/translite/cabinet is at the very bottom of that list.

#1737 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Thank you, but I think those vegetable/fruit comments are cheap shots, not people being critical and honest. There is a difference. Agree it does take time for some to warm up to one of the best art packages ever created for any pinball machine.

That's cool, we all got opinions, and you're on the more sensitive side which is more than fine. I put my money where my thoughts are, and bought an LE. Wise men say, comedy is the band-aide to all pain. I did not like what I saw when first unveiled, but comedy takes the sting out, and makes it approachable, and then forgivable and then desirable. Those are not cheap shots, those are honest takes dealing with pain; that Godzilla looks like a Watermelon... look at the pics below.

Do you Comedy-club?

077BEF79-81B7-44C5-9A31-91F23640FF09 (resized).jpeg077BEF79-81B7-44C5-9A31-91F23640FF09 (resized).jpeg40712CC0-041E-4F97-9A31-5CB721299521 (resized).jpeg40712CC0-041E-4F97-9A31-5CB721299521 (resized).jpeg
#1738 2 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

Maybe Brian Holderman or Dirty Donnie can do there style overlay for the area ,like how other people change the art on the flinstones or Angus face on AC/DC. Other than The melon look, Godzilla also looks not to Scale and more like one of those big fake Sumo Suited guys

[quoted image]

Ya, I noticed that too, but to be fair, there are many iterations in GZ past that have that same body proportion, so we can't knock that. All we can do is learn, broaden our horizon and appreciate a new art style that none of us were expecting, and embrace (and make jokes).

#1740 2 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

Not one of the 60+ has the odd proportions as this one.
Not one pic, not one poster or comic page.
I like your other reason as it is just a +1 to the 60+ going and will be like no other , it is yeti's version..
it may have been summer when he was watching these and was fondly favorable to eating watermelons and inspired him ,remembering eating all that summer watermelon and watching monster Movie sundays with Godzilla .

Ya, you're about right - this is the closest I could find, pretty close though, but not, but ya

Godzilla_Vol_1_1 (resized).jpgGodzilla_Vol_1_1 (resized).jpg

Edit: But ZY did say he does NOT like to recreate any previous design, but take inspiration, and make his own, so this is what we get. It'll grow on us

#1743 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

How about let it go man! Im not particularly thrilled with the cartoonish aspect, but overall the art does look pretty bad ass.

TBF... what the hell do obsessed pinheads have to talk about, it's not like all that much really changes?? Surprised we have even one podcast, let alone all the ones we have today. We were a dying market 22 years ago, and here we are today, all excited for this pin. We all bought it (more or less) so ya, we'll sit here with our other half-dozen to three dozen pins, drink beer, play pins, shoot off messages between balls and make fun of Watermelonzilla. It's a forum, don't see the issue. Art is badass, agreed.

Edit: But ya, for all, be balanced in criticism, gotta give love too, and no, we don't need a new design/overlay - embrace the melon, you will love him, as will I (he's growing on me)

#1744 2 years ago
Quoted from chickenscratch:

TBF... what the hell do obsessed pinheads have to talk about, it's not like all that much really changes?? Surprised we have even one podcast, let alone all the ones we have today. We were a dying market 22 years ago, and here we are today, all excited for this pin. We all bought it (more or less) so ya, we'll sit here with our other half-dozen to three dozen pins, drink beer, play pins, shoot off messages between balls and make fun of Watermelonzilla. It's a forum, don't see the issue. Art is badass, agreed.

Edit: But ya, be balanced in your criticism, you gotta give love too, and no, we don't need a new design/overlay - embrace the melon, you will love him, as will I (he's growing on me)

#1746 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

While I agree with ya, the guy I quoted seems obsessed lol

While I agree with ya as well, all fair comments; his seeming obsession, your critique of it, my commentary, your reply - all of it, very good. If we all, as a species, can hold our emotions in check, we can all have opinions and share them! A touch of sensitivity, black humor, wit and fellowship for common man go a long way though, in making this all happen, and that's a reality check for us all. See way too many butt-hurt viduals on PS, worse than Reddit even; at least they maintain the wit and memes there.

Let's have fun, disagree with tact-wit and play some pinball!

#1809 2 years ago

Get it all out boys… the air is thick tonight

And why do we not have a popcorn emoji?

This is directed at no one other than reading up on the days posts I’m just getting to: Y’all, and I mean y’all, need to learn the fine art of wit and sarcasm rather than being all defensive. Or the “oh ya, you could be right, I’ll look into that brah” type comment. Otherwise we just be bitching in a circle-jerk fashion

Cheers!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 35.00
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chickenscratch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-looks-like-godzilla-is-being-made?tu=chickenscratch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.