EA7EA67D-8658-4B5B-BA5A-57B3F434A142 (resized).jpeg
heat ray (resized).JPG
IN OUT (resized).jpg
752C0C72-4489-46FD-B3E0-24264D13C526 (resized).jpeg
F9811986-9060-4EEF-98DF-FEBC4FB22504 (resized).jpeg
godzilla_mothra_1 (resized).jpg
3FC48FC8-E596-4B0F-8267-9B10935BD917 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 1,965 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 40.
#1601 2 years ago

The game looks like it's FUN, and I can't wait to play it on location for a couple of bucks!

-Paul

#1602 2 years ago

Our first impression from the other side of the pond

#1603 2 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

LE is sold out !

WRong!

#1604 2 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

I mean I suck at JP, but that game is amazing. So many things going on at the same time, lots of stacking and combos, etc.

The software is fine. It's the physical layout I have a beef with. It's just personal preference. I felt the same way about Walking Dead, and Houdini. A tight shot or two is good. Every bloody shot on the playfield being a rejecty mess is not. JP3 has a Houdini level issue in this regard, so I have no clue why Houdini gets so much shit, but JP3 gets a pass just because it's Elwin, and pinballers are kiss-asses for their celebrities.

Quoted from DakotaMike:

Huh, never heard that take on JP3 before. I think it's a brilliant layout and pretty smooth shooter, and that seems to be the general consensus too. Interesting. I guess we all have different taste!

Maybe it is....in a home environment where it's set up perfectly, leveled, and with flippers that are perfectly aligned........ Which is not what I was talking about, and quite clear on that. I've never played a non-routed JP. I can only form an opinion based on my personal experience....which is with a game in a heavily played arcade.

#1605 2 years ago

It's easy to say, "The art would've been so much better if they'd hired a real Godzilla artist!" but one thing to keep in mind is that designing for pinball is a very specific skill set. Look how seamlessly Zombie Yeti's artwork incorporates the shots, goals, and inserts. When you hire an artist who isn't accustomed to creating a pinball "interface" you get...well...

lz (resized).pnglz (resized).png
#1606 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

“It would have been better if they hired Matt Frank” zombieyeti Truth hurts huh? When they do Deadpool 2 you’re hired. Meanwhile, Gary can we fix this and replace Sasquatch Yeti?

No need to be rude. Go back to your hole.

#1607 2 years ago
Quoted from Scandell:

Interesting to hear the perspectives from GODZILLA fans...and not pinball fans.

The price discussion in that video reminds me (and I'm sure a lot of others on here) about similar conversations we've had with non-pinball people when they first asking about buying a game.

#1608 2 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

I like the art, so please don't take this as me trying to improve Zombie Yeti's work. I keep thinking back to how pinball art looked 10 years ago where theme integration was a couple clip art items on the playfield, with stock photos of actors on the inserts - Stern has come a long way by using the talents of Dirty Donnie and Zombie Yeti and their machines now look like modern pop art. I love it.
For those that are complaining about the color, what would it take? Is it a "canon" thing, or more a reaction to the color composition? If, for example, Godzilla's green was taken down a notch, does it work better for you?
[quoted image][quoted image]

That looks a lot better. The artwork color for Godzilla as it is currently looks like the Marvel comics version from the 1970’s. So ZY definitely got inspiration from that color pallet. I am not a fan of it and a darker color for Godzilla would have been better in my opinion.

AD39E312-EAAA-4D4B-B4E9-C0C135E01A79 (resized).jpegAD39E312-EAAA-4D4B-B4E9-C0C135E01A79 (resized).jpeg
#1609 2 years ago

Hmmm, I put up 520mil on JP at league night last weekend and my location high is 2.3 bil. Great f’n game if you ask me. IMDN is the goat but JP ain’t far behind. AIQ is the turd, boring ass game.

Quoted from Frax:

Welp....after getting absolutely raped on Jurassic Park at league night again last night, my excitement for this game is way down. I said before when I found out Keith was doing this game that I was likely not a buyer because of how much I *hate* JP, and clearly not going to league for a few weeks had me forgetting about that.
I will not buy this game, or even pretend that I'm a future buyer, before playing the premium or an LE. Period. And I'm completely ashamed I let it go to my head. I really like IM and AIQ....but JP is just......no. That game should be a constant reminder to me that Keith is not infalliable, and not every design can do well in a public location, or at home.
(Don't even f'ing talk to me about your games at home. I don't give a single turd. We all know games at home play far superior to almost any location game.)
Hopefully it plays more AIQ and less JP, but at this point, I've lowered my expectations.

#1610 2 years ago
Quoted from chickenscratch:

Avocadozilla!!! Could have even won over the millennials

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1611 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

The software is fine. It's the physical layout I have a beef with. It's just personal preference. I felt the same way about Walking Dead, and Houdini. A tight shot or two is good. Every bloody shot on the playfield being a rejecty mess is not. JP3 has a Houdini level issue in this regard, so I have no clue why Houdini gets so much shit, but JP3 gets a pass just because it's Elwin, and pinballers are kiss-asses for their celebrities.

Maybe it is....in a home environment where it's set up perfectly, leveled, and with flippers that are perfectly aligned........ Which is not what I was talking about, and quite clear on that. I've never played a non-routed JP. I can only form an opinion based on my personal experience....which is with a game in a heavily played arcade.

Yes, I heard you the first time. I've played it on location, as well as at home, and was basing my opinion on having played in both environments. Plays good in both for me.

Sounds more like you've got a bad arcade than a bad game.

#1612 2 years ago

I think a lot of the reason why ZY did the style of art that he did is because he is likely limited to the detail of the art. When doing art that is printed it needs to meet a certain criteria. He likely stayed within the boundaries of his detail for the sake of money in the complexity of the printing scale.

#1613 2 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

I think a lot of the reason why ZY did the style of art that he did is because he is likely limited to the detail of the art. When doing art that is printed it needs to meet a certain criteria. He likely stayed within the boundaries of his detail for the sake of money in the complexity of the printing.

He mentions in the Stern Insider podcast that he did a lot of different iterations of the design, and wasn't truly happy with any of them, but ultimately, you gotta do something and move forward. I agree, that between the mix of his art style, making it pinball-colorful, conforming to pinball shot-info, what he had to work with for sources of inspiration, etc. - well, this is what you get. It's great, other than watermelon Godzilla, imo. But... it'll just make me giggle over time, that's about it. Still fantastic work all-around. I mean, we have HOW MANY iterations of Godzilla over time... why not one more unique one

#1614 2 years ago

So has anyone listed their LE for $89,995 yet?!?

#1615 2 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

I think a lot of the reason why ZY did the style of art that he did is because he is likely limited to the detail of the art. When doing art that is printed it needs to meet a certain criteria. He likely stayed within the boundaries of his detail for the sake of money in the complexity of the printing scale.

He went with the comic style from the marvel comics in the 70’s. Godzilla is the same green color from issue #1

#1616 2 years ago

So excited to see the way the building changes play at different stages. Also, the skill shot from plung into that lane behind the flipper is going to be so satisfying I can tell already, just cant wait

#1617 2 years ago

He mentions in the Stern Insider podcast that he did a lot of different iterations of the design, and wasn't truly happy with any of them, but ultimately, you gotta do something and move forward. I agree, that between the mix of his art style, making it pinball-colorful, conforming to pinball shot-info, what he had to work with for sources of inspiration, etc. - well, this is what you get. It's great, other than watermelon Godzilla, imo. But... it'll just make me giggle over time, that's about it. Still fantastic work all-around. I mean, we have HOW MANY iterations of Godzilla over time... why not one more unique one

It’s not unique. Been done before.

5D02D604-7AFC-4C30-B9DC-F627B75CFB9F (resized).jpeg5D02D604-7AFC-4C30-B9DC-F627B75CFB9F (resized).jpeg
#1618 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

[quoted image]

Ya it's close, in proportions/color, but I don't instantly think watermelon when looking at that issue

#1619 2 years ago

He went with the comic style from the marvel comics in the 70’s. Godzilla is the same green color from issue #1

Basically my point was the actual details as in How tight the pixels will be in the printing. Also more color depth and contrast…..And all the other elements with an artwork to create textures. In the end these all cost in the printing process. Who knows maybe he had the freedom to do
Exactly what he wanted.

#1620 2 years ago

[quoted image]

Also note how this comic cover has a well defined layout and distinct colors, giving it a crisp, strong look and feel. Now put a rainbow reflection on Godzilla’s chest and probably the man’s hat, change the clean red to two or three gradations of red with gray level bricks, buildings and textures, give Godzilla a bunch of extra muscle folds and add ten or fifteen images unrelated to the scene….

#1621 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Sounds like a Calvin Klein fragrance.<

It's easy to say, "The art would've been so much better if they'd hired a real Godzilla artist!" but one thing to keep in mind is that designing for pinball is a very specific skill set. Look how seamlessly Zombie Yeti's artwork incorporates the shots, goals, and inserts. When you hire an artist who isn't accustomed to creating a pinball "interface" you get...well...
[quoted image]

Be careful LZ art is a sensitive subject.

#1622 2 years ago

Does anyone know if the green Godzilla on the comic is the same as green Hulk. I'm not a comic aficionado at all but I had heard the Hulk was meant to be grey similar to Godzilla in the movies but it was an issue with printing and it did not come out right in the comic so they made him green. I suspect that is the only reason Godzilla is so green on the posters and comics as well.

#1623 2 years ago

So funny reading all the complaints. NO MATTER WHAT ZY did with the artwork, NO MATTER WHAT KE did with the layout, there will be bitching and complaining about the smallest things.

"This is bullshit, Godzilla NEVER looks left when shooting fire out of his mouth",
"His color is not the exact shade of green during a lunar eclipse on Tuesdays and I can prove it with a comic I have from Oct of 1968 on page 3 frame 5",
"Why does Mechagodzilla look like a different shade of silver than the ball?",
"why are there wire forms, I prefer plastic ramps",
"The building raises up too fast",
"Why won't Stern just make the games I like?",
"I don't want to complain but I hate everything about it",
"Why did they raise their prices, now I have to sell one of my 49 games to get it",
"why didnt JJP do this game instead?"
"It would have been better if Steve Ritchie designed it back in 1995",
"the artwork isn't to scale, Godzilla is 4 inches smaller in real life, if he actually existed",
"why won't Keith shave",
"Stern releases too many games",
"Why are there so many multi balls, I hate multi balls",
"I wanted internet connectivity but now that I've seen it, I hate internet connectivity",
"Back To The Future should have been released first",
"Why didnt they make a Gamera game instead because he is the monster I like better",
"Why didnt Lyman Sheats do the code?"
"I hate games released on Tuesdays"
"why is there points in this game, I hate points"
"why do they have to put wizard modes in this game, I only play for points"
"I won't buy this game because there isn't 7 flippers and everyone knows I only buy games with 7 flippers"
"why doesn't the Pro have everything the Premium/LE has?"
"this game looks exactly the same as Iron Maiden",
"why isn't Godzilla actually breathing fire?"
"how dare Stern raise their prices, now I won't make as much when I flip my LE"
"where the heck is the horseshoe turnaround shot I love in all my games"?
"I can only buy one game every 10 years and sure the heck aint gunna be this one"
"why didn't they just make High Speed 3 instead?"
"Bally/Williams games were better"
"this game looks challenging and I only play easy games where I hit every shot, every time"
"Stern screwed up letting Steve Ritchie go because now all we are going to get are these great games and I only live in the past"
"every great game has more than 15 magnets and this one doesn't, so I hope Stern goes out of business"
"pinball is not about the screen/display, however the animation sucks on this game and they should have done a better job with it to the make the playing experience better"
"what? No crane mech?"
“I’m a tournament player and this looks too slow and too fast at the same time”
etc....

I'm sure I missed a few, please add them

After the stream the whining will reach its peak and once games arrive in homes, arcades or wherever, it will be a flood of how awesome it is and how these guys and Stern knocked it out of the park. SMH

#1624 2 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Being able to read Japanese, this sign does not appear reversed, although hard to make out since it is such a blurry photo. The sign appears to be properly rendered, but could make it out better with a clear photo. The Katakana Kanji looks to be written with the name being read on its side from top to bottom on the side of the falling building and the way that type of sign could appear on buildings in Japan.
Yes, the sign on the right says Yetti in Katakana.

Please look again more closely. It’s definitely flipped, not written sideways.

Should normally appear like this:

pinball yeti in katakana (resized).jpgpinball yeti in katakana (resized).jpg
#1625 2 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Yes, I heard you the first time. I've played it on location, as well as at home, and was basing my opinion on having played in both environments. Plays good in both for me.
Sounds more like you've got a bad arcade than a bad game.

I'm always open to changing my opinion if I get to play one that is set up correctly and I find it's massively different. Nothing is going to fix that stupid ass truck not being able to reset itself from blocking the smart missile shot, though. There's been a bazillion Sterns released over the last decade that haven't had these issues even with subpar maintenance. Tron, GOTG, Star Wars (Pro ONLY...the LE was godawful on location), BKSKOR, Stranger Things....same company has all those games on locations and they don't have the issues that I've seen on JP. They also have Hobbit, Monster Bash, STTNG, TOM.... Hobbit and STTNG have their own issues, but at the end of the day.....the shots are MAKEABLE and do not reject even 25% of the time. Polar opposite of my experience with JP's left ramp, right orbit, and the under-flipper turnback shot on the right.

#1626 2 years ago

This new Godzilla is looking sick!

862552B9-500A-4758-B415-FD85B8F4D093 (resized).jpeg862552B9-500A-4758-B415-FD85B8F4D093 (resized).jpeg
#1627 2 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

This new Godzilla is looking sick!

The Lizard is lit!

#1628 2 years ago

I like the art just fine.
But ... possibly the artist from JP (Johhny Crap) would of been more suited to this title with the muted color pallet he used on JP
of course - everyone complained about JP artwork also, and I didn't have any issues with it either

anyways, don't really give a crap
Game looks awesome and I still like the artwork a lot

#1629 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

The price discussion in that video reminds me (and I'm sure a lot of others on here) about similar conversations we've had with non-pinball people when they first asking about buying a game.

lol yep, it never gets old watching peoples eyes bug out of their head when I tell them what a machine costs. My most recent one went something like

"I been thinking one of those things would be fun for the house whats one go for?"
"between 6-15k..."
" .....nevermiiind"

#1630 2 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

This new Godzilla is looking sick! [quoted image]

I am in for a Mando-zilla Premium. Anyone know when they will start shipping? Also will he be "mecha" or "beskar?"

#1631 2 years ago
Quoted from Jfmav:

I am in for a Mando-zilla Premium. Anyone know when they will start shipping? Also will he be "mecha" or "beskar?"

Probably need to wait for the next series of Mando to come out when Grogu takes on his final form and becomes Watermelonzilla; I can now do the similarities between The Childs plumpy head and Godzilla’s plumpy watermelon body, and the stretch marks that occur. Mecha is made out of beskar in this crossover - duh

#1632 2 years ago
Quoted from Hoteldrummer:

So funny reading all the complaints. NO MATTER WHAT ZY did with the artwork, NO MATTER WHAT KE did with the layout, there will be bitching and complaining about the smallest things.
"This is bullshit, Godzilla NEVER looks left when shooting fire out of his mouth",
"His color is not the exact shade of green during a lunar eclipse on Tuesdays and I can prove it with a comic I have from Oct of 1968 on page 3 frame 5",
"Why did they raise their prices, now I have to sell one of my 49 games to get it",
"Why didnt JJP make it instead?",
"the artwork isn't to scale, Godzilla is 4 inches smaller in real life, if he actually existed",
"why won't Keith shave",
"I wanted internet connectivity but now that I've seen it, I hate internet connectivity",
"Why didnt they make a Gamera game instead because he is the monster I like better",
"I won't buy this game because there isn't 7 flippers and everyone knows I only buy games with 7 flippers"
"I can only buy one game every 10 years and sure the heck aint gunna be this one"
"this game looks challenging and I only play easy games where I hit every shot, every time"
"Stern screwed up letting Steve Ritchie go because now all we are going to get are these great games and I only live in the past"
"what? No crane mech?"
etc....
After the stream the whining will reach its peak and once games arrive in homes, arcades or wherever, it will be a flood of how awesome it is and how these guys and Stern knocked it out of the park. SMH

Why was Negan chosen to play the game in the video instead of Daryl?

#1634 2 years ago
Quoted from Walk:Deleted post

Lol

#1635 2 years ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

Does anyone have any details on what the main shot to the building is exactly on the Pro? I don't think I saw clearly on the video for sure, and can't tell from the images. Is it a 180 lift ramp to a habbitrail, standard ramp, or maybe just a loop that exits to the main inner loop spinner lane or something? I assume it's not just a static bash target. I know some of the other ramps btrails converge into the upper levels of the building, but what is the ground level direct shot into the building?

I'm interested to see how the Premium works at the different levels too - it was described as a bash toy at some stage, obviously it looks like the first two levels are feeds to loops/ramps, at least one level looks to be solid so presumably you bash it there at that height.

From what I can tell,
Pro: The ball goes straight through and comes out the lane to the left of building (between the magnet and the building). I'm not sure if there's a drop target or something that blocks the ball at any time or not. The Right Ramp will always feed the Right Flipper, Left Ramp/Orbit will always feed the Left Flipper.

Premium: Like the Pro when locks aren't lit, when locks are lit the building will sink one level, Right Ramp will feed Left Flipper, Left Ramp will feed Right Flipper, shooting the building will let the ball all the way through into a VUK and kick the ball onto the top of the building and lock the ball.

That's my understanding at least, obviously take it with a grain of salt. We'll see on Friday though.

#1636 2 years ago
Quoted from Walk:Deleted post

Throwin’ heat over here!

#1637 2 years ago

Where is the damn nuclear breath, that's what I want to know!!

#1638 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:Where is the damn nuclear breath, that's what I want to know!!

You have to complete the wizard mode for that....

#1639 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Stand by the machine at Expo you’ll smell it .

#1640 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

On all the translites.

#1641 2 years ago

Ya it's close, in proportions/color, but I don't instantly think watermelon when looking at that issue

I never said exact copy. My other post said inspired by. He pretty much used it and tweaked it and made it his own. So the watermelon is his idea.

#1642 2 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

On all the translites.

and hopefully the topper!

#1643 2 years ago

I'm in for a Premium!

#1644 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

I'm in for a Premium!

Awesome, me too, just got my invoice and couldn’t be any more excited about this game

#1645 2 years ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

and hopefully the topper!

I don't play the translites or the topper, hopefully it's in the actual game like the action button.

#1646 2 years ago

I heard on The Pinball Show that all distributors no longer take deposits on LEs and that it's pay in advance now, that just makes it even more absurd.

#1647 2 years ago

Anyone manage to get a pro price of $6,500 from your distributor?

#1648 2 years ago

For real, pinside is a place for people to latch onto the ONE thing they hate and never let go. It’s tiresome. Maybe the art isn’t what ya’ll you imagined. But I don’t care about your imagination haha. Shit looks fine to me, if it weren’t so similar in style and graphic layout as TMNT and AIQ I’d probably think it was amazing. It’s good work, but it’s not new work. Also, he looks more like a cactus than a watermelon c’mon…you guys blind? Anyway, game looks cool as F and I’m buying one…so are you…so everyone shut it, I think we’ve heard enuff ZY slams for one day. The guy rules, be kind.

Quoted from Hoteldrummer:

"why didnt JJP do this game instead?"
"It would have been better if Steve Ritchie designed it back in 1995",
"why won't Keith shave",
"every great game has more than 15 magnets and this one doesn't, so I hope Stern goes out of business"
"pinball is not about the screen/display, however the animation sucks on this game and they should have done a better job with it to the make the playing experience better"
"what? No crane mech?"
“I’m a tournament player and this looks too slow and too fast at the same time”
etc....

#1649 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I heard on The Pinball Show that all distributors no longer take deposits on LEs and that it's pay in advance now, that just makes it even more absurd.

So basically (me) tried to get a LZ LE and Mando LE no luck whatsoever. I’m taking just using the three guys I deal with who are staples on Pinside maybe the big 3.

As I wasn’t able to get the LE wait and play them on location decide they weren’t for me. Picked up a JP premium instead. But just the idea of yes getting another LE (had bought XMLE, STLE and AFM LE plus R&M BSE (LE). They aren’t that much better than a premium but slightly better so to me if I’d spend $9k it’s not that far to $15.5k to get the shaker, art blades, better armor etc.

I know it’s not logical and probably best to wait and play. But I’m fairly confident in Keith and the theme. And figure worse case if I hate it I can trade it for Elvira or something or cash similar not to lose a ton of money.

I did pass on Alien, Halloween and not interested in CC or Fathom. So I was looking for something new and Godzilla looks to be fun, can see tonight.

It was just fine for me to buy an LE reluctantly at the cost but the cost is the cost. If you don’t like the cost what else is there? Tron LE for $20K that’s crazy to me but that’s what people are asking. If you ask me (I love Tron but it’s not worth $20K).

#1650 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

2K deposit with my distro for the LE

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,965 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 40.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-looks-like-godzilla-is-being-made/page/33?hl=scandell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.