EA7EA67D-8658-4B5B-BA5A-57B3F434A142 (resized).jpeg
heat ray (resized).JPG
IN OUT (resized).jpg
752C0C72-4489-46FD-B3E0-24264D13C526 (resized).jpeg
F9811986-9060-4EEF-98DF-FEBC4FB22504 (resized).jpeg
godzilla_mothra_1 (resized).jpg
3FC48FC8-E596-4B0F-8267-9B10935BD917 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 1,965 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 40.
#1251 2 years ago

Looks amazing, thanks again ZY for your building-crushingly awesome artwork!!

I'm in for either a pro or premium anywhere from now to the next 2 years, depending on my mood and finances. Looks like the usual Elwin level of genius for shots, layout and (still to be seen but almost guaranteed) rules!

Need to see a JD stream and get other feedback on pro vs. premium.

No rush, I have plenty of other stuff to play, including Elwin JP and AIQ.

#1252 2 years ago
Quoted from IronMan8Bit:

Thank god does that mean you'll stop posting you hate the art every other comment?

I might be the only person here who made their money to buy their pins off working with Japanese kaiju.

#1253 2 years ago

Holy crap this is cool!!!

Japanese speech subtitles optional feature
Original theme song from the 1954 movie “Godzilla”
Iconic title song “Godzilla” by Blue Oyster Cult instantly transports players into the Godzilla universe

#1254 2 years ago

So are people saying that they would prefer the backglass to look like this? To each their own, but I like ZY's design.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1255 2 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

For all the mechs, the thing that makes me happiest is the single, TNA-style pop bumper. What's the last Stern they let out the door with only one pop? Stars?

Let alone by the bottom of the pf like Andromeda or Cyclopes. That's going to make for some interesting drains.

#1256 2 years ago

Personally I don't like the colors on this, looks all wrong. Avengers meets Hotwheels. Shoulda went with a more green theme like the old Godzilla pin. Mechs are cool and different, I really like that aspect. Should be a crowd pleaser on route. But I wouldn't buy one.

#1257 2 years ago

The LE has the Ultra Man armor package. lol

#1258 2 years ago

I continue to be impressed by Keith Elwin's ability to find new shot paths and new geometry. His layouts always have originality and play great. I also love how the Mechagodzilla toy is the *secondary* toy in this game. I mean, rotating target bank, jump ramp, bash toy with magnet; boy that seems like the big blockbuster feature. Nah, it's just a smaller thing on the side; there's a huge moving building and breaking bridge and...

Definitely excited to play this.

#1259 2 years ago

First Stern in a few moons that I'm interested in. I'm in!

I'm not wild on the color palette either, but I think the overall package is pretty fantastic looking, with some really great looking shots and mechs. I see FOUR back panel penetrations, that's pretty damn neat, and from what the feature matrix is telling me, is there a diverter back there?

#1260 2 years ago
Quoted from PilotPinball:

I'm officially out. My wife, who is an even bigger Godzilla fan than I am, made the same comment about it looking like it came out of the Marvel universe. I hope the rest of you enjoy it.

All I'll say is that I apologise to you and your wife. I care very greatly for any property i work on - and I knew going into this one that it would be broad and divisive to some.

I know I have an issue with NOT wanting to do things like another artist would (call it job security or integrity - both factor in I'm sure)
I'm not going to trace assets and I'm not going to recreate existing art direction. That's for designers and production artists. I try to be an illustrator (with a minor in Fine Arts lol)

Since Showa Era had multiple and varied Godzilla designs I pitched taking notes from international Posters from the era. (Green Zilla was a creation by poster artists btw) But - in the end, Stern & TOHO loved everything and ultimately you do not. I failed some folks here and I wish I hadn't - but I'm happy with making something that will stand out in the Godzilla universe. (THere's some defensive stuff CrazyLevi!)

Also - Gary Stern is on the playfield overseeing and checking the BOM on the repairs to Mechagodzilla... so there's that.

#1261 2 years ago

I missed it... what was the final increase in MSRP across the 3 models?

#1262 2 years ago

Can't wait! Limited Edition is on order!

#1263 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I missed it... what was the final increase in MSRP across the 3 models?

$6799 / $8999 / $10499

#1264 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

You guys have literally lost your minds.
We've actually gotten to a point where people are whining and crying over art that's "not what you wanted?" You're not happy with a sinking building?
Jesus. This game looks insane. It's beautiful. It's f***ing pinball. Get over it.
One thing for sure, the collectors and players of 2021 aren't what they were even 5 years ago.

I never understand the jump from not liking the art package to whining and crying over art. Art has never been a thing that has kept me from owning a game. My opinion doesn't take away your joy so maybe you should get over it?

"5 years ago we were transporting games by hand up hill both ways."
-27dnast probably

#1265 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Is there a more thankless task than making pinball machines for these miserable bastards?!
This game hits all the FOMO-inducing pheromones. Even I’m bummed I’m not gonna score an LE.

Thankless? I assume he got paid.

Quoted from gambit3113:

Zombie killed it. Again. Good lord the bitching and moaning crowd is exhausting.

People arent allowed to have opinions? Or just ones you agree with. This looks like AIQ 2.0 artwise. Too many skittles for a Godzilla theme.

#1266 2 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

$6799 / $8999 / $10499

And what were the prices for Mando in comparison?

#1267 2 years ago

Hmm you know the first thing that came to mind was timeshock..

Screenshot 2021-09-15 1.25.12 AM - Display 1 (resized).pngScreenshot 2021-09-15 1.25.12 AM - Display 1 (resized).png
#1268 2 years ago

FOR EVERYONE ASKING WHY GODZILLA IS GREEN, PERHAPS YOU COULD ALL GO ASK TOHO WHY THEY HAVE DEPICTED HIM AS GREEN IN ART FOR GODZILLA FILMS SINCE LITERALLY 1954.....

HALFSHEET108-2T (resized).jpgHALFSHEET108-2T (resized).jpggodzilla-king-of-the-monsters-1954,mg0083978 (resized).jpggodzilla-king-of-the-monsters-1954,mg0083978 (resized).jpg
#1269 2 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Upgraded speakers, artblades, armour, invisiglass, mirrored back glass, shaker motor.
What do you think the value is for those items? I think they definitely exceed the price difference.

All stuff you can pick and choose to add yourself later. Give me something exclusive that compels me to want to buy it like JJP did with the coma lock, topper & PF artwork

#1270 2 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

I'm not going to trace assets

Hey, don't you go disparaging my Voltron vectorizations!

#1271 2 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

All I'll say is that I apologise to you and your wife. I care very greatly for any property i work on - and I knew going into this one that it would be broad and divisive to some.
I know I have an issue with NOT wanting to do things like another artist would (call it job security or integrity - both factor in I'm sure)
I'm not going to trace assets and I'm not going to recreate existing art direction. That's for designers and production artists. I try to be an illustrator (with a minor in Fine Arts lol)
Since Show Era had multiple and varied Godzilla designs I pitched taking notes from international Posters from the era. (Green Zilla was a creation by poster artists btw) But - in the end, Stern & TOHO loved everything and ultimately you do not. I failed some folks here and I wish I hadn't - but I'm happy with making something that will stand out in the Godzilla universe. (THere's some defensive stuff CrazyLevi!)
Also - Gary Stern is on the playfield overseeing and checking the BOM on the repairs to Mechagodzilla... so there's that.

You don't have to apologize for not completing the impossible task of making every person happy. Kudos to you for your responses though. Always thoughtful and well said.

#1272 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Mando
Pro Model MSRP: $6,199
Premium Model MSRP: $7,799
Limited Edition Model MSRP: $9,199

Godzilla
Pro Model MSRP: $6,899
Premium Model MSRP: $8,999
Limited Edition Model MSRP: $10,499

#1273 2 years ago

I'm not kidding Zombie. My home in Japan literally has Godzilla artwork in the bathroom. This pin looks as if Godzilla was part of the Marvel universe.

To be fair... Helps explain the green!
Screenshot_20210914-112649_eBay (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210914-112649_eBay (resized).jpg

#1274 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

$6199 / $7799 / $9199

#1275 2 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

Since Show Era had multiple and varied Godzilla designs I pitched taking notes from international Posters from the era. (Green Zilla was a creation by poster artists btw) But - in the end, Stern & TOHO loved everything and ultimately you do not. I failed some folks here and I wish I hadn't - but I'm happy with making something that will stand out in the Godzilla universe. (THere's some defensive stuff CrazyLevi!)

I know my opinion doesn't mean much. But I just wanted to say that I think you absolutely crushed this artwork. I feel like everything is vibrant and exciting. It just all looks super fun! The monster designs really pop and flow into each other so beautifully. Your attention to detail is unmatched. You captured so many of the iconic monsters and a bunch of the little moments in these films that really bring the universe to life. I can totally respect other people wanting it to be darker and more serious. But when I play pinball, I want to be excited and have fun. And I think your art really captures that for me. I really appreciate you and what your work brings to this hobby.

Warm regards,
Shaun

#1276 2 years ago

Considering the massive demand for games, what's the motivation for distributors to discount off MSRP?

In Canada there is no competition so it's a moot point here anyways. Straight up MSRP.

#1277 2 years ago

I might be the only person here who made their money to buy their pins off working with Japanese kaiju.

And?... omedetogozaimazu. So where do you live in Japan?

#1278 2 years ago

Is it just me, or does the main playfield Godzilla image look like a stack of watermelons?

#1279 2 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Complaining about the price increase is one thing... but, the art? Hahaha really? Man, bunch of savages around here!
Perhaps something like this would be more to your liking, it's dark, moody, and photoshop-realistic.
[quoted image]

One is great, one is poop.
But even looking great there can be a variety in tone and it's recommended that not all games look the same, so that they can stand out from each other.

That said I think Godzilla HAS a slightly different tone to it (dominant oranges and blues on the playfield), most pics just overblow all the colors.
It looks way better in the video.

I'd not went the comicbook approach here but for a more mature tone, but this is campy and fun and in direct competition to Spookys Ultraman, so it's fine.

#1280 2 years ago

I'll start by saying I am NOT a Godzilla fan at all....but I AM a fan of Zombieyeti's artwork, and I really dig the way this pin looks.....so much so, I am putting an order in. Yes, I realize the decision on whether to own one will ultimately depend on the game play, but based on the little info I have before me, (which is a short video and the artwork package) I like it! It will look great next to Ghostbusters!

#1281 2 years ago

People be tripping about the colorful artwork. It's like you guys grew up watching these movies on black and white TV sets.

#1282 2 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

FOR EVERYONE ASKING WHY GODZILLA IS GREEN, PERHAPS YOU COULD ALL GO ASK TOHO WHY THEY HAVE DEPICTED HIM AS GREEN IN ART FOR GODZILLA FILMS SINCE LITERALLY 1954.....
[quoted image][quoted image]

They (mostly) didn't, that's the US posters.

(And printing techniques were different, you're ought to use way more primary colors.)

729px-Gojira_1954_Japanese_poster (resized).jpg729px-Gojira_1954_Japanese_poster (resized).jpg
#1283 2 years ago

Love everything but the green color on Godzilla. He's always charcoal colored in the actual films. The green reminds me of the cartoon, or of the movie posters. Which were really more of an Americanization of Godzilla. ZY still did a stellar job, and mad props to him.

I guess I'm such a die-hard Goji fan that I wanted him to be his charcoal-self. But that's okay, I'm still excited for the pin. Also, funny how much the art reminds me of the Ultraman pin. I think they'd go well side-by-side.

Showa-era example
MV5BM2JhYTI3YzctNmEyNC00N2QyLWE3MGEtMDcyNzBlOGE3OTdhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQ2MzU1NzQ@._V1_ (resized).jpgMV5BM2JhYTI3YzctNmEyNC00N2QyLWE3MGEtMDcyNzBlOGE3OTdhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQ2MzU1NzQ@._V1_ (resized).jpg

Hesei-era example
Godzilla-89 (resized).jpgGodzilla-89 (resized).jpg

#1284 2 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Love everything but the green color on Godzilla. He's always charcoal colored in the actual films. The green reminds me of the cartoon, or of the movie posters. Which were really more of an Americanization of Godzilla. ZY still did a stellar job, and mad props to him.
I guess I'm such a die-hard Goji fan that I wanted him to be his charcoal-self. But that's okay, I'm still excited for the pin. Also, funny how much the art reminds me of the Ultraman pin. I think they'd go well side-by-side.
Showa-era example
[quoted image]
Hesei-era example
[quoted image]

I'd guess that these would be part of the 10 films on the LCD?

#1285 2 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

As a producer in the audio world, I feel everything you're saying here.

The thing I reinforce to the artists I work with is that identity is your most valuable asset. Simply copying what's been done before isn't satisfying for either the artists or those listening. It's that reimagining and collection of influences expressed in the art that gives it identity, and therefore, value.

#1286 2 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

Hmm you know the first thing that came to mind was timeshock..
[quoted image]

That's where BM66's turntable came from as well.

#1287 2 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Why do I feel like I am on Facebook now. Turn off the caps lock and make your point like an adult dude.

#1288 2 years ago
Quoted from PinPickle:

I had absolutely zero interest in this title but this game looks outstanding.

Im pretty disappointed Elwin apparently isnt't doing BTTF. That is one of the few Stern rumored titles I might be willing to pay the new, ridiculous prices if the playfield was loaded and packed like this one.

If it is a Borg design, though, I just don't have faith it would have this type of layout and innovation.

#1289 2 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

One is great, one is poop.
But even looking great there can be a variety in tone and it's recommended that not all games look the same, so that they can stand out from each other.
That said I think Godzilla HAS a slightly different tone to it (dominant oranges and blues on the playfield), most pics just overblow all the colors.
It looks way better in the video.
I'd not went the comicbook approach here but for a more mature tone, but this is campy and fun and in direct competition to Spookys Ultraman, so it's fine.

How DARE you articulate your opinion with a thoughtful and well written reply! This is an internet forum and I am beyond offended!!!!

#1290 2 years ago

* Keith/Yeti knocked it out of the park once again. The best team-up at Stern IMO.

* Stern engineers really earned their paycheck on the premium design. Rising/Collapsing building, breakable bridge jump ramp, rotating mechagodzilla banks/spinner/magnet mech. Throw in diverting building ramps, unique magnet post, upper flipper cross-shot, cool physical ball locks..... looks like a winner. I mean how can you seriously look at the design & features on the premium & not be impressed? Especially when comparing this to something new like Led Zeppelin? Even the backboard has molded buildings! Harrison Drake.... you the man!

* I find only 13 RGB LEDs to be REFRESHING. Enough of the clown-puke insert/GI RGB trend found in so many other new games. It's distracting & makes it hard to see the ball. When you tastefully use RGBs in your design, it makes it clearer for the player to know where to shoot the ball, or adds some tasteful mode lighting effects.

* Love the Japanese speech option! If you watch Japanese films with English dubs, you're doing it wrong! Nice touch Keith

Really looking forward to playing this one. If Spooky had gotten the licence it wouldn't have come anywhere close to this level of Elwin design.

#1291 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Why do I feel like I am on Facebook now. Turn off the caps lock and make your point like an adult dude.

Give me a break. Dude.

#1292 2 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

And?... omedetogozaimazu. So where do you live in Japan?

Kansai. Only mentioned to underline that I have experience with the aesthetic. (Also to another poster, I don't have a problem with green if done correctly. Others are making that point.)

#1293 2 years ago

Oh man..I was hoping I wasn't going to want this should be getting Halloween soon and just had a baby and really shouldn't be putting any more funds into pinball at the moment, but this looks fantastic.

I really would have liked a black and white film footage art package available along the lines of the Munsters black and white premium, but this does look gorgeous.

I definitely can't swing an LE, and they are probably gone besides marked up ones already, but will consider a pro or premium. I'm rather torn that I also really want an Elvira and an Aliens, so thinking I'll wait till later this month to see how the Alien LV looks and then go for Alien or Elvira first. I figure those will be harder to get sooner, and I'll have no issues getting a Godzilla pro or premium down the line.

#1294 2 years ago

Kansai. Only mentioned to underline that I have experience with the correct aesthetic. (Also to another poster, I don't have a problem with green if done correctly. Others are making that point.) I also sympathize with the artist's dilemma and appreciate his response.

#1295 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Pretty much all I care about:
“ The game also includes the iconic title song “Godzilla” by Blue Oyster Cult”

I actually hate that song dang it

#1296 2 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

NEXT, EXPLAIN THE LOGO ON THE LE ART PACKAGE.

#1297 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I've seen both come out of a game before - never as designed and never a good thing though.

Touché

#1298 2 years ago

As someone that is not a huge fan of the art, it's not b/c of the colors, I like it being vibrant. I just wish it was a darker/meaner take on him. That being said, the art is still SOOOOO much better than other machines and for folks to say they wouldn't buy it b/c of the art are absolutely nuts. Zombie is still king no doubt. I wish he did JP : (

I think the game looks solid, it's not some ground breaking game as it's been hyped but we all knew that wasn't going to happen. Looking forward to seeing it live. Considering some of sterns recent titles like LZ, this seems def top tier. Keith is def their best.

I just hope BTTF is Joe K b/c we know stern won't deliver it like we want without it that way.

#1299 2 years ago
Quoted from dri:

NEXT, EXPLAIN THE LOGO ON THE LE ART PACKAGE.

What logo?

#1300 2 years ago

Just posted the Gary Stern mailing about Godzilla, which is different than the press release, on the Pinball Magazine website: http://www.pinball-magazine.com/?p=4269

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,965 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 40.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-looks-like-godzilla-is-being-made/page/26 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.