EA7EA67D-8658-4B5B-BA5A-57B3F434A142 (resized).jpeg
heat ray (resized).JPG
IN OUT (resized).jpg
752C0C72-4489-46FD-B3E0-24264D13C526 (resized).jpeg
F9811986-9060-4EEF-98DF-FEBC4FB22504 (resized).jpeg
godzilla_mothra_1 (resized).jpg
3FC48FC8-E596-4B0F-8267-9B10935BD917 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 1,965 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 40.
#751 2 years ago

I never heard of that, guess it depends on the distributor. I'd avoid that one for sure.

Quoted from robotron:

some are asking for full pay at the time of LE orders now also

#752 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

No doubt there are. All about who you've done business with and how many boots you want to lick.

This seems to be a common theme from you these days - have you actually tried to put a deposit down with distributors?

#753 2 years ago

Do you have the contact info for the boots?

#754 2 years ago

I was told Stern will not allow deposits until game is announced. Boot liking might be a loophole.

#755 2 years ago
Quoted from gamera9:

I was told Stern will not allow deposits until game is announced. Boot liking might be a loophole.

People don’t buy from Stern… they buy from distributors. Or are you saying Stern has a rule for distributors that they can’t take deposits?

#756 2 years ago
Quoted from gamera9:

I think the point here is that it's one of those "If you have the right contacts, you can pretty much reserve anything you want at any time." Do I have those contacts? Hell no. I've only ever bought 3 NIB....4 if you count Ultraman. This is not new, at all, so I don't know why anyone's expecting me to provide concrete information. Contact the distros yourself and try to see if they'll take a deposit even though the game hasn't been announced. What Stern "allows" and what actually happens are not the same thing. None of the people that are holding these slots early are going to speak up about it, because they'd be shooting their distro in the foot, and lose the chance to keep doing it.

If you think people out there aren't doing this to some extent...I've got a bridge to sell you.

#757 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I think the point here is that it's one of those "If you have the right contacts, you can pretty much reserve anything you want at any time." Do I have those contacts? Hell no. I've only ever bought 3 NIB....4 if you count Ultraman. This is not new, at all, so I don't know why anyone's expecting me to provide concrete information. Contact the distros yourself and try to see if they'll take a deposit even though the game hasn't been announced. What Stern "allows" and what actually happens are not the same thing. None of the people that are holding these slots early are going to speak up about it, because they'd be shooting their distro in the foot, and lose the chance to keep doing it.
If you think people out there aren't doing this to some extent...I've got a bridge to sell you.

How much for the bridge?

#758 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

The point here is:
1) You keep saying you are being excluded from something
2) It doesn’t sound like you either want to or have tried to get this thing
3) You are now saying something illicit is happening (is it?)

#759 2 years ago

Stern has firmed up the rules for distros significantly over the past couple of years. They cannot take deposits for games until the game is announced officially from Stern. Now, does that mean that no distro has a secret list of backs to scratch and/or that no distro has taken a penny yet on Godzilla? No, it certainly does not. I know of a few people here that have deals cut with distros for guaranteed spots on LEs upcoming and that likely have involved money changing hands that Stern would frown upon. That's a risk that the distros have to decide if they want to take for themselves.

From my experience it's more of a matter of being on "the list" to get a shot to put down deposit money quick when the phone lines open. And you have to take that plunge with very limited info. I'll be doing it on Godzilla, personally. Because that's the grail for me. If I like the LE I'll punch the ticket fast enough to land one. If I don't like the look of the LE, I'll take the premium. I won't know how it plays. I won't have more than a few minutes at most to look it over. But I'm willing to take that risk on this title. YMMV.

#760 2 years ago

Everyone I've talked to and met in my short time in this hobby has been very friendly, including a couple of distributors. I can't imagine getting in good with one of them is that difficult. I'm not chasing LE's or anything so that might be more difficult, but it seems that connections and friends are easily made in this hobby.

#761 2 years ago

And now with LE’s getting a price increase by distributors on top of it doesn’t help. There has been no LE at this point I have preferred over a pro or premium. But I just started collecting and playing in 2019, but looking back on Stern LEs not one I would have spent the money on.

I did put my name on a list for an LE but he told me he will be charging more on top of the MSRP. Godzilla is dream theme for me so got on a list. Still don’t think I will get one especially if he’s going to charge $2000 + more over MSRP.

#762 2 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

I'll be doing it on Godzilla, personally. Because that's the grail for me.

Trade ya plays on Ultraman for plays on Godzilla.

#763 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

And now with LE’s getting a price increase by distributors on top of it doesn’t help. There has been no LE at this point I have preferred over a pro or premium. But I just started collecting and playing in 2019, but looking back on Stern LEs not one I would have spent the money on.
I did put my name on a list for an LE but he told me he will be charging more on top of the MSRP. Godzilla is dream theme for me so got on a list. Still don’t think I will get one especially if he’s going to charge $2000 + more over MSRP.

I’d find a new distributor. That’s shitty.

#764 2 years ago
Quoted from Walk:

Only until you want to sell your house at market value, then supply and demand matters, eh?

#765 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Only until you want to sell your house at market value, then supply and demand matters, eh?

You don’t walk into Home Depot and expect them to raise MSRP to make a quick buck. A distributor should be selling at MSRP. When you sell your house, that’s equivalent to buying used from other folks.

#766 2 years ago
Quoted from Walk:

You don’t walk into Home Depot and expect them to raise MSRP to make a quick buck. A distributor should be selling at MSRP. When you sell your house, that’s equivalent to buying used from other folks.

Home Depot raise MSRP… what?

Also, if a distributor wants to sell above MSRP… don’t buy it from them. Or if you simply absolutely must have whatever that thing is - then DO buy it from them. It really is that simple.

#767 2 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

Home Depot raise MSRP… what?
Also, if a distributor wants to sell above MSRP… don’t buy it from them. Or if you simply absolutely must have whatever that thing is - then DO buy it from them. It really is that simple.

That’s exactly my point

#768 2 years ago
Quoted from Walk:

My main distributor did that to me on Mando LE (raising the price over MSRP after the game was announced). It’s kind of crappy, but at the same time so are all the flippers that buy from a distrib at MSRP and then mark it up $2k so I understand the frustration from the distribs.

#769 2 years ago
Quoted from Walk:

That’s exactly my point

I guess I missed the thread of logic where Home Depot can change the MSRP? (that pesky M standing for Manufacturer)

#770 2 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

I guess I missed the thread of logic where Home Depot can change the MSRP? (that pesky M standing for Manufacturer)

My point is that Home Depot doesn’t change the MSRP. Nor should you expect them to. And likewise, you shouldn’t expect a distributor to increase prices beyond MSRP. Does that make more sense?

#771 2 years ago
Quoted from Walk:

My point is that Home Depot doesn’t change the MSRP. Nor should you expect them to. And likewise, you shouldn’t expect a distributor to increase prices beyond MSRP. Does that make more sense?

No, because thats not how any of this works (the ‘this’ being capitalism). In general, you CAN get pros and premiums below MSRP. With LEs that is currently not the case (again, in general) because people might be willing to spend more than that and stock is limited.

#772 2 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

No, because thats not how any of this works (the ‘this’ being capitalism). In general, you CAN get pros and premiums below MSRP. With LEs that is currently not the case (again, in general) because people might be willing to spend more than that and stock is limited.

BB02D689-F1A6-49F4-A487-ED4AB1005BF9 (resized).pngBB02D689-F1A6-49F4-A487-ED4AB1005BF9 (resized).png

That “pesky m” means something to you but not if it hurts your argument.

#773 2 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

The point is distributors are the home depots of pinball. They should NOT be raising MSRP. They sell products for the manufacturers and should adhere to the MSRP. Retailers should not be marking them up. Capitalism should not apply from the retailer. Second hand market, sure. If people would start refusing to overpay, we collectors could shut this crap down.

#774 2 years ago

Ha. Okay… was something I said inaccurate?

#775 2 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

The point is distributors are the home depots of pinball. They should NOT be raising MSRP. They sell products for the manufacturers and should adhere to the MSRP. Retailers should not be marking them up. Capitalism should not apply from the retailer. Second hand market, sure. If people would start refusing to overpay, we collectors could shut this crap down.

Boom. Thank you. Maybe my words aren’t working today and I’m not phrasing this right.

#776 2 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

Sort of true. Yes - there are a few distribs left selling just below MSRP on Premiums but they are sold out on most of the popular titles for 6 months or longer.

There’s a run next week of JP Premiums. Call around and see how many distribs will sell you one below MSRP. If you can actually find one that isn’t already sold, it won’t be below MSRP….it will probably be $300 to $500 above MSRP. It’s more about limited supply and heavy demand right now. Sucks - but it is what it is.

#777 2 years ago

Yeah, I just don’t get where I have been inaccurate here - sorry guys.

I want to pay a low price and get things exactly when I want them too. But there are other people that want those same things. Capitalism is great when it works in your favor and sucks when it works against you - but it is what it is.

#778 2 years ago
Quoted from Walk:

That “pesky m” means something to you but not if it hurts your argument.

I don’t understand this at all… Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price, correct? So the manufacturer sets MSRP. ‘Suggested’ (not guaranteed)

Home Depot may sell above MSRP…but they can’t raise MSRP, correct?

#779 2 years ago
Quoted from gamera9:I was told Stern will not allow deposits until game is announced. Boot liking might be a loophole.

Distributor informed me that Stern has this rule.

#780 2 years ago

Just a thought. What's to stop distros from buying the game themselves at MSRP and reselling them? Then they own the machine just like anyone else who buys it. Is there a difference? Does Stern forbade that?

#781 2 years ago
Quoted from Walk:

Wait, Home depot doesnt raise and lower prices, based on demand? What are sales ads for then?

Its a toy. You want it, you pay market value, or become a distro and buy at MSRP.

Also. Real estate developers raise peices on new homes, based on market conditions.

#782 2 years ago
Quoted from Walk:

No. It doesnt make sense. Its supply and demand. If someone wants to pay 12,000 for a game i paid 8,000, who am I to stop them?(As a distro).

These arent basic needs and you arent being gouged. Life sucks, then you die!

#783 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

No. It doesnt make sense. Its supply and demand. If someone wants to pay 12,000 for a game i paid 8,000, who am I to stop them?(As a distro).
These arent basic needs and you arent being gouged. Life sucks, then you die!

If you’re a distributor hiking prices, you’re a shitty distributor and I wish you nothing but failure in all your future endeavors. This isn’t worth arguing. Either you get it or you don’t.

#784 2 years ago

Not going to lie when I saw this post I immediately went online to find a print to go with my Ultraman BSE. Lol.

#785 2 years ago
Quoted from Walk:

If you’re a distributor hiking prices, you’re a shitty distributor and I wish you nothing but failure in all your future endeavors. This isn’t worth arguing. Either you get it or you don’t.

You dont. Why should a distro leave money on the table? You dont want to buy, oh well, the market has said someone will.

Life sucks, then you die.

#786 2 years ago

Can someone catch me up on what’s going on in here.. is Home Depot a Stern distributor now?

#787 2 years ago

I'd love a Godzilla pin...at or below MSRP.

#788 2 years ago

JC, is this the bitch about prices at home depot topic or is Godzilla being made or not topic?

#789 2 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

JC, is this the bitch about prices at home depot topic or is Godzilla being made or not topic?

No, the topic is that Godzilla is being made. There is no "or not".

#790 2 years ago

Godzilla Seriously ? Must be running out of ideas

#791 2 years ago

Yeah, have not quite exhausted geezer rock and comic pins yet…

#792 2 years ago
Quoted from BigalzPinz:

Godzilla Seriously ? Must be running out of ideas

If you can’t understand that Godzilla is still very popular and has had fans for decades starting in 1954 I can’t help you. Did you bitch about spooky making Ultraman? A far less popular theme BTW and it still sold out. Glad your not advising spooky or stern.

#793 2 years ago

Its also about people not understanding what MSRP means. Hint. The S stands for Suggested. Just like cars and blenders.

#794 2 years ago

If we could put aside all the talk about who's making an extra nickel off these machines and get to the real question, will Godzilla be revealed at Expo this year?

#795 2 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

If we could put aside all the talk about who's making an extra nickel off these machines and get to the real question, will Godzilla be revealed at Expo this year?

I'm thinking prior to the show. August/September

#796 2 years ago
Quoted from chad:

I'm thinking prior to the show. August/September

Are we really thinking Keith on Godzilla will be revealed before Borg's next game? He would be up next right?

#797 2 years ago

Are we really thinking Keith on Godzilla will be revealed before Borg's next game? He would be up next right?

That’s the rumor. Mnpinball is calling Elwin on Godzilla next in September then Borg/Lyman on Rush in December.

#798 2 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

will Godzilla be revealed at Expo this year?

48 new posts.. was gzilla announced??

Stern has moved away from revealing at shows in recent years other than CES. There were always tons of bad phone vids and pinside picking it apart based on limited info.

In recent years they typically announce the title the week after a show, etc. I guess they want to steal the buzz from anything announced at the show, and it seems to aggravate the enthusiasts less for whatever reason which I bet they have noticed.

edit - another big advantage to announcing after the show is they can adjust their pricing to be competitive with anything announced at the show.

#799 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

If you can’t understand that Godzilla is still very popular and has had fans for decades starting in 1954 I can’t help you. Did you bitch about spooky making Ultraman? A far less popular theme BTW and it still sold out. Glad your not advising spooky or stern.

Not asking for any help from you, plus I don't even know what Ultraman is and could care less. This was all about Godzilla, which I still believe is a horrible idea and theme, but go ahead and waste your $ ... booooooring

#800 2 years ago

Sooo, its market driven. Again, why should distros sell at msrp, only to have flippers make that $$$. You know, cause the market will pay it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
$ 35.00
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,965 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 40.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-looks-like-godzilla-is-being-made/page/16?hl=hypercoaster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.