(Topic ID: 306438)

So Long Marc, and Thanks for all the Parts.

By pmandeltort

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 131 posts
  • 129 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pindel
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

StepUp (resized).jpg
    in memory of marc mandeltort 7x5 (resized).jpg
    There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 2 years ago

-------------------------------
    Marc Mandeltort, 1954-2021
    -------------------------------
    Our community lost a grand champion on Sunday, December 19, 2021.

Marc Mandeltort, the founder of Marco Pinball (Marco Specialties, Inc.), passed away peacefully in his sleep. Marc’s life work revolved around preserving pinball and making it accessible to everyone.

For Marc, pinball wasn’t just a game designed to make money.

It is a beautiful miniature world under glass.
    It is a tool that builds communities.
    It is a pastime and a lifestyle.

For Marc, pinball machines were kinetic art that needed to be preserved for future generations to discover and enjoy. To achieve this mission, Marc dedicated his life to building a sustainable company that ultimately enabled dozens of people to directly build pinball careers, inspired thousands more to fix games, and saved countless games from the landfill.

In the early days of Marco, he would often spend hours swapping pinball stories with customers. Every game was a world of nested stories ranging from the design and gameplay itself to the politics and popular culture of its time. Most of all, Marc loved nothing more than finally locating an obscure part that brought a pinball machine back to life and sharing it with the community at large.

The Marco Family wishes to honor his legacy by collecting the stories about him and his impacts on the pinball community. We set up an inbox, [email protected] to collect these stories. We haven’t figured out how we’ll share them yet, but we can promise they will be seen by the immediate family and we will work to compile and disseminate them when appropriate.

While his game of life tilted too early, Marc built a solid leadership team that will continue to build and serve our community for decades to come. Please be patient with us as we work through these difficult times.

Let’s keep these games working and keep sharing them with the world.

Thank you all for helping Marc do what he loved.

In Memory of Marc MandeltortIn Memory of Marc Mandeltort

We miss you already, Marc.

—Paul, Nancy, Lynn, and the rest of the Marco Pinball Family.

#2 2 years ago

Oh no, gone too soon. I enjoyed seeing Marc and the crew at shows. RIP Marc, we'll miss you!

#3 2 years ago

Sad news. My condolences to his loved ones and coworkers.

LTG : (

#4 2 years ago

RIP Marc.... was a great and smart guy.

#5 2 years ago

DAMN!!

So so sorry, Paul. I always liked visiting with Marc at the shows. You could tell he truly loved what he did.

RIP

PS, give your mom a hug for me, please.

#6 2 years ago

This is a great loss to the community. R.I.P.

#7 2 years ago

I am so sorry Paul. Please let me know if there is anything I can do.

- Dwight

#8 2 years ago

Paul, I'm very sorry for your loss. Marc was an absolute treasure in our world, not just the pinball world, the whole dang world. He will truly be missed.

#9 2 years ago

Oh no--this is quite a loss. My condolences to you and everyone in the family.

I can't even count the number parts I've used over the years from Marco Specialties to help bring games back to life. Marc definitely succeeded a thousand times over in his goal in helping folks with this very thing.

#10 2 years ago

This is incredibly sad news. I always enjoyed chatting with Marc at shows as he was always incredibly nice and interested. Talking about parts, inventory and databases would make his eyes light up My thoughts go out to Nancy and of course to you Paul. I will sticky this topic to the frontpage, so folks will know about this and hopefully share some nice stories about Marc. RIP

#11 2 years ago

So sorry for your loss. RIP, Marc.

#12 2 years ago

Definitely a reminder to us all of how fragile life can be. Marc was just an all-around class act. Spent over an hour BS'ing with him at MGC just over a month ago. In shock right now...

My prayers go out to his wife, Paul and the rest of the family...

Keith

#13 2 years ago

So very sad to hear. Marc was a big supporter of pinball both at Stern and all the shows I've been to. Marc and the whole team were incredibly supportive of Louisville Arcade Expo and he will be greatly missed. Our thoughts are with Nancy and Paul and the entire Marco family.

#14 2 years ago

RIP Marc. We will miss your passion and hard work. Pinball won't be the same....

#15 2 years ago

Very sad news. I often order supplies from Marco Specialties for projects that aren't even pinball-related. It's been a hard year with the number of assets the community has lost.

#16 2 years ago

Rest in Peace, thanks for fulfilling countless orders from me over the years...

#17 2 years ago

Another one of the good guys gone

Always was a pleasure to talk to him at so many shows I’ve met him.

He’ll be dearly missed

Rip

#18 2 years ago

So sorry to hear this. I just opened up my latest Marco box today. They are great resource, quick to answer questions and always friendly. RIP

#19 2 years ago

RIP Marc, thoughts to all of the family and employees of a great company and valuable resource to this hobby.

#20 2 years ago

Huge loss to the industry. Thank you Marc for helping out so many pinball enthusiasts, new and old.

You will be missed. RIP.

#21 2 years ago

Marc made us all feel connected to each other. He linked the old and the new, and welcomed newcomers into this world with kindness and wonderful mentorship. I don't think we can express what an immeasurable loss this is to all of us, inside and outside the industry. To be blunt, Marc has always beeen the man we all should try to be a bit more like.

I know I speak on behalf of Scorbit and all our community that Marc will be deeply missed.

Our thoughts are with his family, and with all the community he touched. Rest in peace brother.

#22 2 years ago

I spent some time talking to him and his family at MGC a few years ago. They were very kind to my son.

My thoughts and prayers and with his family.

#23 2 years ago

Heartbreaker. I always enjoyed seeing Marc's smiling face at shows and talking pinball.

A great friend to the pinball community! He will be missed!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#24 2 years ago

Devastating News.
    Paul, Nancy and the entire Marco team I send my Heart felt condolences.
    My self like many have known Marc for years.
    I considered him a friend and mentor.
    He guided and help me develop a few parts and had countless hours of phone conversations with him. He would always answer my calls on the first or second ring. Was always a pleasure to see him at shows and catch up on life and what was next.
    The Pinball world is a little darker today with him passing. However, the light he brought to us will last beyond our time.
    What a good man. Will miss you buddy.

#25 2 years ago

Sorry for your loss. Praying for peace for family and friends.

#26 2 years ago

Very sorry to hear this, my sincerest condolences.

#27 2 years ago

Our deepest condolences ... Marc was a powerhouse in the industry and an overall great guy. Nancy and family we are so sorry and we will all miss him.

rick and matt

#28 2 years ago

This is extremely sad news. So sorry for your loss Paul. My condolences to you and your entire family.

#29 2 years ago

Wow.
    This is awful. Hard to believe 2021 could be even worse of a year...

RIP Marc. Much love to you and the family during this time, Paul. Thankfully, Marc will live on in countless machines as a timeless pinball legend.

#30 2 years ago

Still processing everything over here...but not too many people have done as much cumulatively to "save" pinball as Marc has. Sourcing and getting hundreds of thousands of parts from hundreds of vendors over decades of work is part of the reason these old games are getting so much love and becoming so popular again. And thats a wonderful legacy to leave behind.

Marc was one of my earliest supporters, and I wouldn't be where I am on this pinball journey without him and his team. He will truly be missed by all.

#31 2 years ago

RIP Marc! Thank you for all that you have done to further the game of pinball for future generations!

#32 2 years ago

Horrible news...
    RIP Marc.

#33 2 years ago

Speaking with Marc was an otherworldly experience. He had a true talent for seeing things in a bigger picture than most while still remaining grounded and kind. Rest In Peace and sending over a huge hug to Paul, Nancy and everybody else on the Marco Team.

#34 2 years ago

My sincerest condolences. Very sorry for your loss. It was always a pleasure seeing Marc at various pinball shows. RIP

#35 2 years ago

Such a tremendous loss for our community. I've been a player for decades but only got into ownership, maintenance, and restoration a few years ago. Marco's was (and is) my first stop for parts, updates, and guidance. Despite being a newbie, Marc, his family, and his staff always made me feel like a veteran. No question was too dumb, and virtually no situation too difficult to overcome. My condolences to the family and all of the staff at Marco's.

#36 2 years ago

This is so incredibly sad to hear. Marc worked tirelessly to promote and preserve pinball for a large portion of his life. Paul, you and your family have so much to be proud of when they look back at the amazing life he lived.
    Rest in peace Marc.
    Terry.

#37 2 years ago

RIP and my condolences.

#38 2 years ago

An amazing person!
    Many great conversations, through the years.

I will miss him sincerely.

My condolences to the family.

Art

#39 2 years ago

Ouch - I'm just shocked. Such a wonderful, personable person. All of us will miss that smile captured in the center of that collage. I always enjoyed talking to him at pinball shows and greatly appreciate how he encouraged small businesses like mine. I will send something to the memories email address and his soul will be a part of my Christmas prayers.

-Rob
    -visit https://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED display boards for model H & model S Skee Ball (thanks to Marc, they are also available at Marco)

#40 2 years ago

Terrible news. I had the pleasure to meet Marc many many years ago 20 or more he was a nice guy and a credit to this hobby.

#41 2 years ago

Marco store helped me so much on my first steps in pinball. Not only by finding parts but also because through its great variety and excellent web display I was able to understand what I needed to fix my machines. How the parts looked like, what were the components to an assembly etc

When you see a parts website you don't normally think that there is an actual person behind all this, especially if you live in an other country. But in this case it was this man.

This is a great loss to the community.

My condolences to the family and his friends. R.I.P

#42 2 years ago

RIP Marc.
    You will be missed by the entire community.

#44 2 years ago

Wow! Sad news! I have dealt with Marc on various occasions and he was simply a great guy. Hi Will be missed by many people.

#45 2 years ago

Omg, last couple yrs have been just…awful. RIP brother.

#46 2 years ago

So sorry to hear this, very sad.
    Condolences to family and friends.

#47 2 years ago

Devastating news. I first met Marc in 2009 at PPE when showing a preview of what would eventually become ColorDMD. Marc was incredibly encouraging and helped introduce me to many heavyweights in the pinball industry.

Marc and I became friends and I always looked forward to seeing him at shows. We often spoke throughout the day and would spend hours talking about the business side of pinball. His goal was always to try to make pinball larger, more open, and accessible. He worked with many of the show organizers to cooperate and support as many shows as he could. I marveled at the expense and amount of equipment he would devote to their booths to help create the feel of an industry show and bring the newest games from multiple manufacturers.

Marc commonly joked that he was the only vendor crazy enough to do pinball full time. He put his heart into making pinball better and he will be sorely missed.

Paul, my deepest condolences to you, Nancy, and your family. Your dad was a real inspiration to me and many others.

#48 2 years ago

I can say without hesitation possibly the nicest human being in the hobby. He will be missed for sure.

#49 2 years ago

RIP Marc
    Probably was 25 years ago for my first order and it blew me away how he would remember me every time I placed an order.You will be missed.

#50 2 years ago

So so sorry to hear this What a great man

There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-long-marc-and-thanks-for-all-the-parts-?hl=axaios and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.