6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Jesterfunhouse
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Rush.gif

#1 6 years ago

Lots of new pinball owners have been posting here lately. Why did you decide on a pinball machine?

#2 6 years ago

My first was Gottlieb Soccer, because I had done a virtual pinball version of it, and one came up for sale near me soon after and I figured I needed to own it.

#3 6 years ago

There was an operator here. Two good pins came out at the same time. Bally KISS and Gottlieb Pinball Pool.

I told him I wanted both. He said one or the other. I said I'd buy which ever one he didn't. ( he didn't think I had anyone that would sell to me and risk pissing off one of the largest ops up here )

He asked which one I would buy then so I told him KISS. Of course he put in a KISS. So the next day I put in a Pinball Pool.

I really enjoyed the good old days.

LTG : )

#4 6 years ago

I bought my first pin about 4 years ago because I played a lot when I was younger and wanted one to go with my pool table and DKJR machine.

#5 6 years ago

I was starting to fix up my basement & was thinking what else could I put down there? I started looking around on EBay having no idea what I wanted or what was involved. I came across a Gottleib Spider Man that was local. I sent a message with my ph# and got a call back & brought the pin home that day. The guy was telling me how you can't have just 1 & I was telling him no way, I'm done...I bought my 2nd 1yr later (he actually hooked me up with a friend that had the Gottleib Hulk I was looking for) and now I'm up to 4pins...

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

and now I'm up to 4pins...

And a great 4 they are. Nice taste in theme.

#7 6 years ago

Built a mame machine, started buying arcade games, found out some pinballs were in my budget and here we are.

#8 6 years ago

Last year I got back into mame and ended up setting up a mame cab and going to the arcade near my work on my lunch breaks. The arcade is mainly redemption games, a couple of shooters (why i went in the first place, I played a lot of the original time crisis back in the day) and a couple of pins. Ended up playing the pins more then anything which led to me setting up my pc for visual pinball and getting the parts to build a hyperpin cab.

That kept getting pushed back and I eventually just decided to spend the money and buy a real pin for my birthday as I hadn't made any big purchases in a while. Also felt a bit odd that a space jam came up for sale right at my price point and close to me as I'm a big NBA fan who grew up in the Jordan era. From there it spiralled into 3 pins this year as I found WW for a bargain price and I wanted a HUO/NIB as a more collectors/impressive piece to go with my garage quality space jam and my WW.

If I could go back in time I would have passed on the Space Jam if I knew I'd get WW right after it, but at the time I got space jam for a good deal and fixing little issues on that gave me the confidence that I could buy more expensive pins. That being said I still find myself playing Space Jam and it's actually a favourite of my friends and family who haven't played pinball before when they come over. I think they find WW and RBION too hard and don't know how to play a stop and go game whereas space jam has a decent flow to it and is far simpler to know what your shooting for.

I've told myself no more but I really would like to find space for at least one more this year....

#9 6 years ago

I had it in the back of my mind for several years to buy a pin. I looked into the prices on eBay once or twice and decided I just couldn't afford it. Little did I know how much more expensive they would be when I finally bought my first!

So, I am sure I would have done it a lot sooner if I'd had more disposable income. This is not an inexpensive hobby, even at the bottom end. Still, I'm grateful that I finally took the plunge. It has been a lot of fun. I just replaced a flipper assembly this evening. Who knew that could be so enjoyable? I'm not sure which I like more, fixing them or playing them.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from ReallifePin:

And a great 4 they are. Nice taste in theme.

Thank you... Too many more within the theme that are good games. It's going to be difficult to keep it at just 4...Behaving myself for now..as long as Xmen LE stays above 5G I think I'm good for awhile..all bets are off if it dips lower though

I NEVER would have thought I would own more than 1 or 2 when I first bought into the hobby (didn't even percieve it as a hobby at the time)..Now 6-8 seems reasonable

#11 6 years ago

a) nostalgia and satisfying childhood dreams... (read: probable mid-life crisis)...

b) burned out on my last hobby, and really needed a new one...

c) a desire to deal with something mechanical for a change, rather than electronic black boxes...

i loved pinball as a kid, and can vividly remember thinking that it would be the coolest thing in the world to have machines of my own... now that i do, i was right, it IS pretty damn cool...

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from cireone:

Built a mame machine, started buying arcade games, found out some pinballs were in my budget and here we are.

Same here. Built a Mame Cocktail, bought a Popeye Arcade to go with it, then a Centipede, decided I needed ((((ONE)))) Pinball machine to go with the arcade theme, bought IJ. Lost interest in the arcade games, filled the space with Pins. No end in sight.

-Wes

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

Still, I'm grateful that I finally took the plunge. It has been a lot of fun. I just replaced a flipper assembly this evening. Who knew that could be so enjoyable? I'm not sure which I like more, fixing them or playing them

I surprised myself by learning how to do a flipper assembly (youtube) & other small repairs/replacements. It actually was enjoyable. I don't mind the breaking down of a game, cleaning & repairing stuff. I'm still afraid/intimidated by the electronic end of the spectrum. I wish there was a class I could take geared for that. I did learn some stuff from the 1 repair guy who came to troubleshoot my Hulk when I was having lighting issue.. The people in the hobby that I have met and on these boards have been great & willing to spend time explaning stuff & troubleshoot with you.

#14 6 years ago

My story is similar to that of ccotenj in that I've somewhat burned out on my previous hobby of collecting vintage sports cards (mainly pre 1920's Baseball).

Combine that with a growing nostalga for things from my youth and a small but large enough bonus last year to purchase my first pin and voila, here I am.

My first pin wasn't just going to be any pin, however. I have very fond memories of playing Cyclone in my college days and I set out to find a Cyclone around the holidays.

I ended up buying one off of the Mr. Pinball classifieds (before I found Pinside). I came to find out that I probably overpaid a bit at $1,500 for the condition that it was in but I've enjoyed learning how to do small maintenance on it by reading here. It plays without any issues at the moment so I am a very happy pinball noob and happy to have found this site.

#15 6 years ago

^^^

howdy neighbor...

nice game initials there... methinks we have something else in common...

#16 6 years ago

Diamond lady, I was looking to buy any pin cheap, real cheap. Found it on CL and for lack of money it took me about 3 years to collect all the parts and put it back together and get it working.
    I been thinking about letting her go and trading up, but how do you let go of your first baby?

#17 6 years ago

howdy neighbor...
    nice game initials there... methinks we have something else in common...

Thanks for the neighborly welcome and, yeah, if you are a fan of a certain band from north of the border then we definitely have something in common

Rush.gif

#18 6 years ago

Always loved them but have always been afraid of owning my own because I know nothing about maintaining and repairing them. Now with finding sites like this and a few new local friends with all the pinball know how makes me eager to jump in knowing I have backup for fixing problems that arise if I need it.

Just started out this year with No Good Gofers and Royal Rumble.

#19 6 years ago

LOTR fan. I had no idea pins were still being made, turns out LOTR pinball machine is freaking awesome. Had to have it.

#20 6 years ago

Been playing a lot in the wild for the past few years. Always wanted a 90's version which is area I remember playing and enjoyed the most. Had an older Williams 1978 World Cup Soccer back in my high school days and wanted a newer version when I got older to play whenever I wanted. Been trying to join a pin league and been lucky enough to get invited to some amazing homes of collectors to play various games. After searching for over 6 months for the game I wanted and passing on others I finally got one in late Dec 2012.

#21 6 years ago

Always played at bowling alleys, but when I got my license, we 'd play at a newly opened arcade called "7th Heaven." Favorites were MH, Playboy and SI. Towards the end of the golden age of pinball (replaced by vids) that place closed and alleys were transitioning away from pinball. Soon they were all gone (and still are) so I went to an auction and bought my first :Bally Eight Ball.

#22 6 years ago

To realize a child dream , love the mechanical part of the hobby , very fun and satisfying to repair !!

#23 6 years ago

Have a Fireball Home Edition. Always been around a pin my whole life. Took the next step up and bought a commercial. I like Bally

#24 6 years ago

- My brother bought a JP

- I had never played pinball, and spent the entire night on his JP learning that there were.... RULES!

- Bought a JP for myself and began the addiction...

#25 6 years ago

I bought my first pin about 2.5 years ago at the York Show (Roadshow). I played a lot of pinball in my teens and early 20s and always wanted to own one. Three years ago I bought my house, and finally had somewhere to put one. Two and a half years later I am hooked...and it is probably a good thing I only have room for 3 pins or else I may not be able to stop!

#26 6 years ago

I got drunk and wanted to play pinball. They wouldn't let me in to Chuck 'e' Cheeze in that condition, so I staggered over to surfsides with all my money. When I finally sobered up, my house was full of pinball machines.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

This is not an inexpensive hobby.

Especially with the pins you have on your wish list.

Quoted from brucipher:

I only have room for 3 pins or else I may not be able to stop!

I'm already out of space in my game room for pinball machines out of garage space for my cars.

#28 6 years ago

I bought my first pin this Sunday! I've always enjoyed playing them in my local pubs and decided one would look good next to my pool table... I want another already!! Reading forums like this made me decide it was possible. Knowing there's so much support from other pin owners gave me the confidence to buy.

#29 6 years ago

My uncle had a meteor in his basement when we were growing up. We loved it.

My brother and I started discussing it a few years ago. He jumped first, bought 2 at once (anyone who knows him is probably surprised it wasnt 3! ), meteor and galaxy.

I spent a weekend at his place ignoring my entire family and playing galaxy, and knew I needed a game. Some deals fell through, but bought a rough Flash I still love.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

Especially with the pins you have on your wish list.

I can wish...

#31 6 years ago

SF2. Huge fan of the video game (use to be a staff member of the yearly Evolution world tournament, before it was even called Evolution + a moderator for Shoryuken...also collect vids and have several different SF2 machines). Always played pinball, but started getting deeper into it to the point of wanting a machine. Cheap machine coupled with theme I enjoyed made SF2 the first. Not the greatest game, but hardly as bad as people make out. I'll probably never sell it (unless someone wants to do a straight trade AC/DC Premium for it ;P).

#32 6 years ago

I was into MAME, ended up buying a few arcades. Then PinMAME, got hooked on TZ, found one at a great price and brought it home. I'm not good with turning wrenches on cars, but doing basic repair on a pin is more up my alley (and a TZ will keep you busy!). Add to that mid-life crisis, and the need for a new hobby! Always loved arcades in general, so a pin was a natural fit. I commute a long way to work (some days it is a two hour drive one way), playing TZ is a great way for me to unwind after a long work day. Will hopefully add to my collection soon!

#33 6 years ago

About 3 years ago i went to a co-workers house, as i was leaving i caught a glimpse of a DE stsr wars pin in the basement. The tjought had never even occured to me that " i can have a pinball in my own house!!??". Within two weeks i found a de star wars and boyght it. I restored it and had it about a year. I then tjought it would be cool to have a regular arcade machine next to it. Thats when the addiction really started. I ended up aelling the sw so i could buy multiple arcades. It took about two years...but slowly bought...restored...bought more...restored more...to the point where i was able to make enough money for another pin...to add some variety to my small collection. I have always been a LOTR fan and a TRON fan. I decided to get a LOTR as my first. While LOTR was on its way to my house i had taken a trip to Disney World. In the hotel arcade was a TRON pin. I fell in love! About2 weeks later i heard that they were re-releasing TRON. Yet again sold a couple arcades to purchase a NIB machine. I had gotten tired of having to restore and fix every machine i had gotten. I just wanted to jump right into adding mods to a brand new machine. Four days ago i got my TRON... and already have 100 games on it! Best purchase decision i rhink i have ever made!

#34 6 years ago

I was collecting Arcade Video games and decided to try a pinball machine. It was a DE Simpsons. I paid $750 at auction and sold it a year later for $1200. I've lost money on pins over the years as well, but it set a precedent that they hold their value a lot better than most video games have.

#35 6 years ago

I've loved pinball since I was a kid. Early in 2012, I was finally in a position where I could purchase a machine and, actually, it was the first time I caught wind of people actually owning machines in their house. That kind of blew my mind, as I had never known anyone to actually own a machine...in their house!

Once I had the idea in mind, it was time for a machine. There were several I considered, but once I found out there was a Doctor Who machine, I knew that had to be it. I don't remember ever playing DW when I was younger, and if I did, it was before I was a DW fan, so it didn't mean much to me. Having become a huge fan of the classic and new series, this had to be my first machine.

There were two for sale when I did a search, one in Atlanta and one in Charlotte. The one in Charlotte was more expensive, but was going to be shopped and come with a warranty, not to mention the drive distance being much less. Since, at that time, I knew nothing about how to keep up a machine, I went with the one in CLT from Brian at retrogamerooms. I maybe overpaid a little for it, but not really enough to matter, and I'm really happy with the machine...doubtful it will ever leave my collection.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

There was an operator here. Two good pins came out at the same time. Bally KISS and Gottlieb Pinball Pool.

I told him I wanted both. He said one or the other. I said I'd buy which ever one he didn't. ( he didn't think I had anyone that would sell to me and risk pissing off one of the largest ops up here )

He asked which one I would buy then so I told him KISS. Of course he put in a KISS. So the next day I put in a Pinball Pool.

I really enjoyed the good old days.

LTG : )

Just out of curiosity, Lloyd, how many pins would you approximate you've owned over the years, both personal and cycling through SS?

#37 6 years ago

I have I wanted a pinball since summer of 1991, I'm now in a place in my life were I can have some toys with out worrying about the cost or burden of them.

I purchased my first pin, JP two months ago and love it, I chose JP because it is a great movie, I remember playing it in the arcade and my kids love dinosaurs.

#38 6 years ago

My story starts around 1978... B+W video games appearing. Or was it 76, Home PONG ("APF TV Fun")?
    Between 1982 and 1992: Owned commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 500, Amiga 2000 computers; plus random arcade trips
    Between 1995 and 2001: Scrounging rummage sales and thrift stores after college amassing a humongous collection of home video games and computers (RCA Studio II, Atari 2600/5200/7800, Intellivision I/II, ColecoVision, NES, SNES, Sega Master System, Genesis, N64, PlayStation 1's), (VIC-20s, C-64s, Apple ]['s, Atari 400/800/1200/XE's, Tandy CoCo's, Timex Sinclair). Resold duplicates on eBay but still have over 225 cubic feet of this including thousands of cartridges and every flavor of the Atari 2600 ever made.
    In 2001, finding 2 arcade cabs on side of road during annual 'clean up week', fighting off some carpet cleaners in a van that had a crow bar and hammer while I waited 50 minutes for a friend with a van and trailer -- during rush hour on busiest streets in 100K pop town
    Between 2002 and 2012; Hand build 3 of my own and eventually going through buying about 50 total video game cabs, restoring most of them. Currently having 26 'done' in the house and another 8 gutted shells in the garage for friends for multi games eventually (most too converted/destroyed before I got to be restorable)
    In 2008: Acquired a High Speed pinball from a co-worker, not fully working, transistors fried, pop bumper coils and switches wires crossed/combined (leading to fried CPU board components), and misc other probs, that I eventually learned how to fix after jumping from working with rebuilding arcade monitors and fixing many a Pac-Man PCB.

Hoping to acquire another 80's pinball or two in the future; but lack of space currently means no more than one.

#39 6 years ago

I enjoy playing games on my android phone, and saw pinball arcade when it first came out. Never played a table in real life, I don't think I ever noticed them. When I thought of pinball I always thought about the 60's or 70's, or before my time. I was amazing to find that there were newer machines like the ones in the game. After a few months I started trying to find places to actually play the tables in the app. That's how I found this website, through the map tool. From there I played a few tables and started shopping around.

I was working in Sacramento for a week and bought two tables. Cancelled my flight home and rented a pickup truck. The look on my wife's face when I pulled in with NF and JP was priceless.

It's weird to think I'm still in my freshmen year. My wife really needs to learn to say NO!

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pac-Fan:

My story starts around 1978... B+W video games appearing. Or was it 76, Home PONG?...Commodore VIC-20,blockquote>

Ahh the VIC-20 and my "Tape cassette" games...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 289.00
    $ 159.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 12,500.00
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 90.00
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 58.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 2.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 109.99
    $ 59.99
    Hardware
    Chroma Pinball
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Star Wars Premium Out of stock
    Operation Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside