Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 110 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Crash
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6D8610F7-1D44-47C7-906A-3FD51844AD42 (resized).jpeg
    150612-zimbabwe-dollars-jpo-433a_10a2ac6c47a6681d5013e65f8dc1f771.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000 (resized).jpg
    view (resized).jpeg
    charlie-i-got-a-rock.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png

This topic is closed.

There are 110 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 2 years ago

Pinball prices through the roof. used cars. Groceries. Lumber.

Is this the price to pay for covid stimulus checks? N.I.B pinballz marked up 500-1000$ even though they've had them for 6 months to a year. is that greed? or $$ losing purchasing power?

I hope this all settles down soon.

#2 2 years ago

Rough drinking math tells me I've taken a 20% pay cut over the past 6 months. Severely unhappy!

#3 2 years ago

A political / pricing thread?

My favorite!

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from cnuts13:

Pinball prices through the roof. used cars. Groceries. Lumber.
    Is this the price to pay for covid stimulus checks? N.I.B pinballz marked up 500-1000$ even though they've had them for 6 months to a year. is that greed? or $$ losing purchasing power?
    I hope this all settles down soon.

Why can’t people just join other complaining threads instead of creating a new one every 30mins?

#5 2 years ago

Don't buy them= they go down in price
    Buy the Store Brand.
    Learn recipes for your favorite sauces= make a quart at a time.
    Play at Arcades = get burned out for cheap
    Drink cheaper whiskey and learn how to mix.
    Buy the things you like in bulk.
    Grow a Garden.
    Do without some things.
    Become a Flipper

#6 2 years ago

Nothing to do with stimulus checks. The people buying 10,000 toys did not qualify. Supply chain issues and people having more disposable income from staying home all day are the reasons.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Nothing to do with stimulus checks. The people buying 10,000 toys did not qualify. Supply chain issues and people having more disposable income from staying home all day are the reasons.

This. But people want to blame who they want to blame

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Makes perfect sense...

#9 2 years ago

I am in before the lock!

#10 2 years ago

you guys need to take an Econ class.

The post was general inflation not just pinball, and yes when the fed prints money for stimulus checks and other stupid govt over spending, inflation is the result.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

The post was general inflation not just pinball, and yes when the fed prints money for stimulus checks and other stupid govt over spending, inflation is the result.

These are factors. But supply chain issues, folks having more disposable income because they didnt take vacations and what not are also big factors.

#13 2 years ago

Is that jack black?

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

I am in before the lock!

Me too!

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

Is that jack black?

Wow, that got pulled quick!

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

A political / pricing thread?

Not politics but economics.

The laws of economics ALWAYS wins in the end.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

staying home all day= more disposable income?

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from cnuts13:

staying home all day= more disposable income?

Ha yes. Think of all the things people typically spent money on prior to the pandemic from travel, entertainment, even needs like work clothes. When people are home all day their world gets considerably smaller and their outlets for spending decrease. A large portion of my everyday work involves analysis and forecasting around how consumers are spending their money, where they are spending it and general mobility. There has been significant change where the cause is well beyond a few stimulus checks.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Supply chain issues and people having more disposable income from staying home all day are the reasons.

Yup, in reverse order. From March 2020 til summer 2021, people were locked down and couldn't really buy stuff, but most were still working and building up a massive stash of cash. Now people can spend pretty freely, but production and supply-chain issues have significantly reduced available product. Cue inflation that won't go away til supply can meet the demand of that insatiable cash pile.

Look at pinball, does anyone really think people are buying 15K LEs with last year's $1200 checks? Stimulus money is just a small part of the formula driving the market now.

#21 2 years ago

Agreed
    Too much money printing
    People at home too much time and bored

Most looking for something to do
    Many public biz have been slapped by the bug and restrictions

These are uncertain times and imo people are looking to dump cash -- value / purch power dropping -- into things that will hold value.

Just my 2 cents

#22 2 years ago

PREDICTED . The Carter years .
    Welcome back .

#23 2 years ago

Yes, I’m sure stimulus checks are to blame and not the ongoing multi-year global catastrophe.

#24 2 years ago

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Don't buy them= they go down in price
    Buy the Store Brand.
    Learn recipes for your favorite sauces= make a quart at a time.
    Play at Arcades = get burned out for cheap
    Drink cheaper whiskey and learn how to mix.
    Buy the things you like in bulk.
    Grow a Garden.
    Do without some things.
    Become a Flipper

You fell right into the trap and just learned to change your expectations

#26 2 years ago

Normally people would be scared about losing their job or a market crash so hoarding cash in a crisis, but huge Government intervention, including stimulus checks, offset the impact - so stimulus checks are related to the current inflationary environment in pinball and elsewhere. But huge stock market gains and the associated feeling of wealth/confidence is a much bigger driver to luxury goods (pinball) inflation IMO.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from HC2016:

PREDICTED . The Carter years .
    Welcome back .

WORSE

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Yup, in reverse order. From March 2020 til summer 2021, people were locked down and couldn't really buy stuff, but most were still working and building up a massive stash of cash. Now people can spend pretty freely, but production and supply-chain issues have significantly reduced available product. Cue inflation that won't go away til supply can meet the demand of that insatiable cash pile.
    Look at pinball, does anyone really think people are buying 15K LEs with last year's $1200 checks? Stimulus money is just a small part of the formula driving the market now.

Everyone buying 15k LEs got zero dollars from stimulus checks. Haha

#29 2 years ago

Have a feeling it will get a shit ton worse than it is now.

#30 2 years ago

The recommended cost of living adjustment is around +6% this year. I predict that lots of people won't get that bump in their pay.

#31 2 years ago

You guys got stimulus checks???

charlie-i-got-a-rock.gifcharlie-i-got-a-rock.gif
    #33 2 years ago

I was going to mention that.

Klaus Schwab seems to think we will have nothing and like it.

#34 2 years ago

PPP fraud isn't helping matters. Lots of business owners made a lot of "not payroll" purchases with their PPP bonus money. We also printed more money in the month of June 2020 than we did for the entire period from 1776 to 1979 combined. Inflation is inevitable when you start paving the streets with newly printed money.

#35 2 years ago

You can look up the CPI summary yourself, but the majority of inflation is coming from new cars, used cars and trucks, nat gas, and fuel. We all know why these have gone up recently, and they have caused other consumer goods to rise as well. I do not think it's permanent or reflective of moderate government spending no matter how much conservative politicians/media want you to believe it is. They are in the business of inflation fear mongering, they have been my entire life, and it has always been for their own selfish political reasons.

#36 2 years ago

This is obviously JJP's fault. Thanks WOZ!

#37 2 years ago

I read a finance article today that in the past 22 Months the US has printed $11 Trillion Dollars. Interest Rates will stay low because the Feds can't raise interest rates because they will obliterate Wall Street because even a .25% increase in interest rates will devastate Wall Street Earnings and send the market into the dumper. They should raise rates to help the US Consumer but they will take care of their friends on Wall Street before they take care of the US Consumer. Our country is in serious financial trouble because there is really no where for the Fed to go.

Prepare of even crazier inflation....we've only hit the tip of the iceberg. We might experience some Deflation in the next 3-4 Months but after that it will be brutal inflation. Even worse than the 70's and that was really bad for those of us who can remember back then.

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

PPP fraud isn't helping matters. Lots of business owners made a lot of "not payroll" purchases with their PPP bonus money. We also printed more money in the month of June 2020 than we did for the entire period from 1776 to 1979 combined. Inflation is inevitable when you start paving the streets with newly printed money.

Good call. I agree that PPP could’ve been done way better. So many companies got tens of millions and it was all forgiven and they simply put it in investments and bonuses for staff. I don’t blame them, I blame the setup. Could’ve and should’ve went to companies that needed it and the forgiveness should’ve been stricter.

There were subsequent runs of money that did go to companies that needed it, so that’s good at least.

#39 2 years ago

Uncontrolled printing of money.

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

The recommended cost of living adjustment is around +6% this year. I predict that lots of people won't get that bump in their pay.

I'll be lucky if I'm employed next year, the state government is intent on closing down all nursing homes in CT by hook or by crook.

#41 2 years ago

Real question is where is everyone investing / moving their money "in these trying times"

#42 2 years ago

So... horde pinball machines as a hedge against inflation?

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from orangestorm87:

Real question is where is everyone investing / moving their money "in these trying times"

Xrp

#44 2 years ago

I am working on cornering the frozen concentrated orange juice (FCOJ) market right now.

#45 2 years ago

Legos

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ribs:

You can look up the CPI summary yourself, but the majority of inflation is coming from new cars, used cars and trucks, nat gas, and fuel. We all know why these have gone up recently, and they have caused other consumer goods to rise as well. I do not think it's permanent or reflective of moderate government spending no matter how much conservative politicians/media want you to believe it is. They are in the business of inflation fear mongering, they have been my entire life, and it has always been for their own selfish political reasons.

Have not been grocery shopping of late have you?

#47 2 years ago

You laugh, but I picked up a pin a while back and the guys house was stacked floor to ceiling with NIB discontinued lego sets. He made enough money hoarding and flipping them to quit his day job.

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

You laugh, but I picked up a pin a while back and the guys house was stacked floor to ceiling with NIB discontinued lego sets. He made enough money hoarding and flipping them to quit his day job.

There are ALWAYS much more popular (and readily available) things to flip then pinball.

#49 2 years ago

Yes!

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chicoman:

I read a finance article today that in the past 22 Months the US has printed $11 Trillion Dollars. Interest Rates will stay low because the Feds can't raise interest rates because they will obliterate Wall Street because even a .25% increase in interest rates will devastate Wall Street Earnings and send the market into the dumper. .

nah - that has no impact. It's all due to cause most of the country was on their ass and couldn't hit the mall.

There are 110 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-inflation?hl=rwmech5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.