View topic image gallery

image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpg
20151016_162059.jpg
20151016_154043.jpg
20151016_153120.jpg
20151016_152914.jpg

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

I teach at a middle school. Tonight was our Halloween Dance/Activity night so I decided to share my passion with the kidos. At all times there were at least 8 kids in line or around the machine. So many told me that not only was it the first time they played, but also the first time they had seen one in person. The only negative comments I got were why didn't I bring more than just the one. One of the best comments I got was "so are all pinball machines interactive?" I asked, "what do you mean". Kid responds "like do they all have stories and things you have to do to get points?" I respond "yes for the most part they do" Kid says "that's cool, so it's not just about keeping the ball up"

20151016_152914.jpg20151016_152914.jpg

20151016_153120.jpg20151016_153120.jpg

20151016_154043.jpg20151016_154043.jpg

20151016_162059.jpg20151016_162059.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Wonderful. What a great scene and what interesting comments. I always enjoy sharing my machines with kids, and last year I took an Iron Man to a family day at my church. The grown-ups couldn't get near it--the kids played it constantly for 4 hours.

#3 8 years ago

Awesome! ! My son brought his JP to school last year and had the same results!!

#4 8 years ago

It's interesting. I see kids play pinball at PPM and Playland all the time. On their own, some get into it and others get bored quickly. But when there's only one or two games and lots of kids, suddenly whoever is playing is the center of attention and they love that!

#5 8 years ago

Great story, thanks for sharing.

#6 8 years ago

Well done!!

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

It's interesting. I see kids play pinball at PPM and Playland all the time. On their own, some get into it and others get bored quickly. But when there's only one or two games and lots of kids, suddenly whoever is playing is the center of attention and they love that!

I think the fact it was a who dunnit helped get the kids involved. Every time they had to choose the suspect, all the kids kept shouting out their guesses. Also, having me there to tell them what to try and shoot for helped.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from tmontana:

I think the fact it was a WHO dunnit helped get the kids involved. Every time they had to choose the suspect, all the kids kept shouting out their guesses. Also, having me there to tell them what to try and shoot for helped.

That's awesome! Kudos to you sir!

#9 8 years ago

Cool! Good choice to bring Who Dunnit.

#10 8 years ago

Great going, Bill. That's something that I have vowed to do one day as well. I love the response that it got from the kids.

#11 8 years ago

Well done. Mild manner teacher by day, violent cocaine drug lord by night!

#12 8 years ago

Wait, are you telling me that kids had a genuine interest in ...

an unlicensed theme???

*gasp*

-mof

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

unlicensed theme

image.jpgimage.jpg

#14 8 years ago

Very cool. When my daughter was in grade school we would always take a couple of our games to the school fall carnival/dance to help the PTA raise money. They sold tickets for the kids to play games and buy food -- so we collected two ticket for a game. The kids went crazy for pinball and like you said, some had never seen an actual machine before. It was a huge amount of fun watching the kids hover over the playfield to see what was going on while someone was playing a game

The second year we brought games some kids actually showed up just to play the games. I remember talking to one parent who was shocked (and very happy) her son wanted to go to the dance -- until she asked him why he wanted to go and he said "To play pinball!" LOL!

#15 8 years ago

That game aint got enough Ns in it buddy

#16 8 years ago

So I kind of lied in my original post. The best comment was probably the one kid who asked, " so how are they making those things move?" referring to the flippers

#17 8 years ago

You picked a good machine to start kids on. It is not to hard and is easy to follow and understand with long ball times. Well done!
You probably need the pinball break at the end of the day of being around teenagers! Could not do it myself.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from tmontana:

my original post

Just curious -- Had any of the kids ever heard of the theme before?

-mof

#19 8 years ago

Great story. Kids playing pinball

#20 8 years ago

Great idea.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from t2:

You picked a good machine to start kids on. It is not to hard and is easy to follow and understand with long ball times. Well done!
You probably need the pinball break at the end of the day of being around teenagers! Could do it myself.

Honesty when I normally chaperon these things an hour passes and it feels like 3. This time they announced 15 min to the end and I was like, "what??! We just started "

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Just curious -- Had any of the kids ever heard of the theme before?
-mof

Not a one. I had to constantly say " it's kind of like clue". But i did have a few tell me about their one uncle who has an old one in his basement. My response of course was , let me know if he wants to sell it.

#23 8 years ago

Ok so 'to these kids' this was an unlicensed theme. Case closed.

-mof

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from tmontana:

But i did have a few tell me about their one uncle who has an old one in his basement. My response of course was , let me know if he wants to sell it.

U dirty old man.

#25 8 years ago

Great idea....been thinking of doing the same, maybe as a fundraising thing.

#26 8 years ago

Very nice.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from tmontana:

Not a one. I had to constantly say " it's kind of like clue". But i did have a few tell me about their one uncle who has an old one in his basement. My response of course was , let me know if he wants to sell it.

I had a former student who heard me talking about pinball. I fixed her Dads KISS and got a Space Station and Tempest out of the deal.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

I had a former student who heard me talking about pinball. I fixed her Dads KISS and got a Space Station and Tempest out of the deal.

DANG!!!

#30 8 years ago

Well done, Teach!

#31 8 years ago

That's awesome. I have contemplated doing this same thing on several occasions but have not gotten around to it. Maybe I will use this as motivation.

#32 8 years ago

Ok, you just inspired me to bring a machine to my kid's school's next carnival day, and let kids trade tickets for games.

#33 8 years ago

This is awesome! I'm glad you've made the effort to get "your" kids involved in pinball. My daughter and her friends largely ignore the pin in my house and i constantly see then on their tablets. It saddens me. That's why my next step is to get a pin with a theme she loves so i can get her interested. She loves loony tunes eek! Well maybe i can find another theme she likes. Lol

#34 8 years ago

Nice. Was this Livonia schools?

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from DanTheGlassMan:

This is awesome! She loves loony tunes eek! Well maybe i can find another theme she likes. Lol

Check out Space Jam, nice machine with great playvalue. My kids really liked it whem O had it.

Bas

#36 8 years ago

My neighbor / Godson is 12 and he's been playing my games when they come over for years, I even have him help me when I'm working on one, he loves it. He had a friend with him the other night and he knew exactly how to play, one flipper, cradling, aiming shots, etc. I was so shocked I asked him how he knew that and he said his dad had taught him when they were at Gameworks. He was really into it, so unusual these days but all these kids now know the beauty of Pinball thanks to you, well done!

#37 8 years ago

Take it off free play and then see how enthused they still are.

#38 8 years ago

Amazing all the kids chose the same costume theme for Halloween.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'd put an easy game like flash in the lunchroom and leave it set on freeplay for the year.

Got to hook 'em young if you still want people playing pinball 20 years from now.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

Nice. Was this Livonia schools?

Plymouth Canton

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Got to hook 'em young if you still want people playing pinball 20 years from now.

This is the ultimate (and admittedly selfish) reason I did this

#42 8 years ago

Cool...my wife went to Plymouth Canton.

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Odin i barely recognized you with the new avatar

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from tmontana:

This is the ultimate (and admittedly selfish) reason I did this

Nothing selfish about it! You're doing something awesome for the youth when most people wouldn't want to be bothered.

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Nothing selfish about it! You're doing something awesome for the youth when most people wouldn't want to be bothered.

∆>this. Ya selfish bastard!

#46 8 years ago

Kids love them

I've been recruiting more people to the hobby but since there're no pins on location near me and pins are a good deal of money to buy, more people are interested but shy away from buying full on home games.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

#47 8 years ago

WOW!! This is absolutely awesome!!! GREAT JOB TMONTANA!!!

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

In 20 years maybe they will get their Jonas Bros pin, just like you got Kiss.

#50 8 years ago

great post, thanx for sharing,who dunnit is a great game to get people thinking.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Suffield, CT
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 26.50
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Altoona, PA
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Washington, NJ
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-i-took-one-of-my-pins-to-school-heres-what-happened/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.