(Topic ID: 28946)

So, I started dabbling w/ LEDs ....the slippery slope....glarghghgh ;)

By Rarehero

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 229 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Frax
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FT_LED.jpeg
FT_Reg.jpeg
Who_LED.jpeg
Who_Reg.jpeg
C56541D1-ECFE-4883-A4C9-029ED979E89A.JPG
FG_BLUE.jpg
STTNG_LED.jpg
Dr._Who_Trans.JPG
Gofers2.jpg
Gofers.jpeg
100_0054.JPG
0519121343.jpg
100_0043.JPG
P1010342(1).jpg
P1010343(1).jpg
CV.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FiveSixPyro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 11 years ago

Here's my recent dilemma with LED's. And I'm glad this thread was started. I am 50/50 with Led. Sometimes they're awful and sometimes they're desperately needed. When I did my LOTR I wanted to keep the warm feel and give it my own look. I think LOTR is done well, but for some reason I just feel the mode/palantir/destroy ring shouldn't be white. Especially with the fellowship right below. It's also very hard to enjoy the lighting playing in the daytime. I felt orange/yellow would be the right angle. Unless my order was messed up CT orange and yellow are the exact same color. At least with frosted bulbs (I didn;t want my game too bright). I also wanted to make the game "good vs evil) red towards the right upper area and green towards the shire. It was almost working. No matter which way I go with LED's or incandescent bulbs it's either monotonous or a friggen bag of skittles. I think warm white is definitely the way to go in situations like this but I have a box of cool white bulbs and I don't want to spend $50 on another "test".

On the other side of the story. When I did WPT it made me feel like I didn't even play the game before. It's not only an improvement but seemed necessary. I think we should start a LED swap thread so we can trade colors and types when our "experiments" go wrong. Anyone want cool super brights for warm .

Basically in a newb type fo way I am finding out through experience that I agree exactly with what Frax said. On my STTNG there's white frosted cool bulbs in the GI and they pop into your peripheral and take away from the game.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Hmm...I'm pretty sensitive to LED brightness - but so far to me it seems that the Frosted ones are the way to go when you DON'T want a poke of brightness in your peripheral. Maybe they're a different type of frosted? I used CT Frosted which have a round dome & you don't see any LED "pinpoint" at all.

I still don't think I'd convert LOTR, though hehe

There are a few areas where the plastics are high where the subway delivers the ball to the cannons and it peeks through the open space. I do agree, maybe the plastics on the machine I'm babysitting are not installed the best. The more I try the more I agree about leaving LOTR factory. I just mostly play in the daytime. Maybe it's time for better shades/curtains.

#17 11 years ago

I have a few of the 2-led premiums that have the flat-topped caps. They almost sit flush with the PF I think that's probably better than the frosted.

#67 11 years ago

Can we stop and just admit it. It's just plain old fun putting in bulbs. No matter how long you have a machine you want to make it your own. Then you want to switch it back to see if you like it better. After a while you stop. After some time goes by you feel like you neglected the your bulb addiction.... rinse and repeat!

In a nutshell they both have pros and cons and it's a personal choice as to what's better. The real debate imho is if ghosting and strobing make the game harder. If the game becomes harder and more distracting that could be a good or a bad thing. If I have a game a long time adding more distracting lights could make it more challenging again and give you a new rush with your old machine! anyway....... recovering from Sandy..... Trying to keep busy and I'm pissed the clocks turned back!

#70 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Explain that one...

Again, not a business man and still a newb. You're right. If you can get the list of the bulbs through e-mail from coin taker then a convenience fee is pointless. I guess it's make the extra money where you can and in this economy I don't blame them.

#72 11 years ago

I guess you'll have to re-read it a few times. Maybe it'll come to you eventually "master".

#74 11 years ago

I was agreeing with you. If you were looking for a better explanation just ask. I found your post passive aggressive. If I was wrong it happens every day. No reason to put me on ignore.

#77 11 years ago

It's all good Frax. I was just stating that I was a newb (4 years playing and almost a year learning the details about how pins work) and not educated in business. Meaning that I could be wrong but wanted to contribute to the conversation. I was also trying to show you respect since you have obviously earned some.

Like I said I agree with your post. Maybe being without power for almost a week and having many people around me still without power for potentially 2 more weeks(according to cbs radio) might have made me trigger happy. Things are rough here and I wanted to talk to take my mind off Sandy. I wasn't expecting that kind of reply. If I WAS trigger happy then I apologize. If not these misunderstandings happen every day on the internet. I hope that we can get back on topic, especially since we agree on our points. If I saw a "Cheers" smiley I'd put one here

#81 11 years ago

I bought my first pin less than 2 months ago but my brother has been an addict. I just played when I made visits. heh. Glad we could work it out!

1 week later
#104 11 years ago

Here's a quick video (sorry for shaking... iPhone) of extra color changers that I didn't like on my game. Obviously I would never purchase just for this use but when you pay $4 a bulb you want to use them.

#106 11 years ago

I have some random stuff if you want to trade individuals to test. 555 color changers (slow) 44 supers 2 led premiums .... 1 blue frosted 2 LED etc....

3 weeks later
#179 11 years ago

Cool!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
10,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FiveSixPyro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-i-started-dabbling-w-leds-the-slippery-slopeglarghghgh?tu=FiveSixPyro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.