(Topic ID: 28946)

So, I started dabbling w/ LEDs ....the slippery slope....glarghghgh ;)

By Rarehero

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 229 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Frax
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FT_LED.jpeg
FT_Reg.jpeg
Who_LED.jpeg
Who_Reg.jpeg
C56541D1-ECFE-4883-A4C9-029ED979E89A.JPG
FG_BLUE.jpg
STTNG_LED.jpg
Dr._Who_Trans.JPG
Gofers2.jpg
Gofers.jpeg
100_0054.JPG
0519121343.jpg
100_0043.JPG
P1010342(1).jpg
P1010343(1).jpg
CV.jpg
There are 229 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 11 years ago

I've been generally anti-LED for a while - I don't like the gaudy color splash many of you guys do to your games or the older style LEDs that didn't spread light that well and/or ghosted. However, after Tron/XMen/ACDC coming LED from the factory and actually looking REALLY good, I started to re-think LEDs a bit. My Avatar LE started to look "weird" to me next to AC/DC. So - I decided to do an experiment. Some thoughts & questions for you 'pros'...

-For G.I. I tried Cointaker Retros & Frosteds. Either look great, but Retros are clearly brighter. Under plastics this looks great from the players perspective...but if I'm playing a game next to it, the brightness of the Retros really sticks in my peripheral. So, I went with Frosteds in this area, still looks really good...but, has anyone stuck w/ the Retros in spots that aren't blinding to the player but could be distracting to anyone on the side?

-For inserts I went with CT 2-LED Premiums, which for the most part were WAAAY too bright for me...specifically in white and yellow inserts. I replaced those w/ the single LED Ghostbusters from PBL and now those look great. I kept the 2-LEDs in many of the inserts...even some of the white ones if they were further up on the playfield. The ones in the inserts right by the flippers though, too bright.

-I didn't do color matching with inserts, as I felt that cool white did the job well enough...yes, it sort of 'neons' oranges and yellows, but I felt this looked good on Avatar. However, I think other games with warmer palates might need something different under yellow/orange. Has anyone used the warm LEDs under these inserts? Does it get you closer to 'stock color'....or do you just go with color matching?

-Flashers: Here's where experimenting gets a bit weird...but generally I found I like PBL flashers in inserts & plastics, CT in domes

PBL Flashers: White flashers are really bright and look great under inserts. Under plastics, a bit more muted...but still good. In domes, they seem WAY too bright. Colored flashers seem muted everywhere EXCEPT domes! I've got blue ones in the blue domes and they're very blinding...but under inserts they're OK. Other colors seem less "flashery" ...I tried red, orange, purple. Colors are good but they don't "feel" like flasher light.

CT Flashers: Seem weaker in general, but I prefer them in domes since they have lights going all around vs. PBLs "all straight up" style. I only tried the regular flashers, not the Super ones. How are those? I imagine they're as bright as the PBL ones but maybe not as much "in your eyes blinding" due to the LEDs being all around instead of straight up?

-Cool vs. Warm. I experimented w/ some of my extra bulbs in other games, and while I'd like to keep trying LEDs, I'm not sure I like how cool looks in all of them...especially in GI. For instance, I thought they looked odd in Shadow & BK2K - probably due to the amounts of red and yellow in those games...the cool whites turn the yellow plastics a bit greenie. Who's tried warm white Retros or Frosteds? Did they look good compared to incandescent or still kinda weird? Also - I wasn't sure cool white worked on the white inserts in Shadow...how do the warm whites look in white inserts?

Bad iPhone pic...which reminds me, I did use some color GI. I used blue Retros under the Link Pod. There were blue incandescents there from the factory. I originally did blue Flashers under those plastics, as they were also blue from the factory...but the blue flashers under plastics just seemed muted. I switched them for white flashers which looks really cool.

#2 11 years ago

Don't use yellow LEDs at all. They suck hands down. I don't know what the technical reason is. Use warm white instead if you want to match the original color more closely. Use orange in orange inserts if you want a super-orange color or warm white again for closer to original.

I had the CT super flashers in my STTNG and they were REALLY bright. Anything more would've been overkill, even assuming you can fit those ludicrous-sized lamps anywhere. They were awesome in flasher domes, like you said.

I used warm white frosted in a Stargate for ALL of the GI, they looked fantastic....also look great in Space Shuttle. B_R was saying the new frosteds aren't as bright though, which is an epic fail if it turns out to be true. =(

#3 11 years ago

Welcome to the LED club, Greg. I predict that you will soon spend thousands LEDing the rest of your collection.

Quoted from Frax:

Don't use yellow LEDs at all. They suck hands down.

I don't use them often, but they do have their place. For example, when you want a clear insert to be yellow.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I don't use them often, but they do have their place. For example, when you want a clear insert to be yellow.

I wasn't really considering that to be common enough to worry about, frankly.

#5 11 years ago

I just installed LEDs in my AVATAR LE GI. I put cointaker frosted in the GI except in a few spots where the frosted would not fit due to the big halos in the middle of them. I used PBL 4 led white in a few of the back GI and in the spot lights. I have about half my inserts in PBL Ghostbusters and the rest incadesants. I didn't like the way the green looked in the x multipliers but I may try the white like you did.

I'm waiting for my Blue LED display for Avatar and my replacement for Tron which hopefully should be coming this week.

DSC_0778.JPGDSC_0778.JPG DSC_0780.JPGDSC_0780.JPG

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I didn't like the way the green looked in the x multipliers but I may try the white like you did.

I find that white works well with most inserts...the insert is colored, afterall, and will be in color w/ white shining through it. The only one that drasically changed vs. incandescent was the Eywa & Valkyrie pink inserts. Those turn kind of lavender w/ cool white LEDs. I might try some warm whites to re-pinkify them. Then again, I might just get used to the new color and leave it lol

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I find that white works well with most inserts...the insert is colored, afterall, and will be in color w/ white shining through it.

Actually, I would say that if there is one consensus in using LEDs (and let's face it, there isn't much consensus at all when it comes to LEDs) it is that you should match the color of the LED to the color of the insert (with the exception of the previously mentioned yellow inserts, warm white works well there). A cool white LED under a red or orange insert isn't going to look too good, especially compared to it's colored counterpart.

One thing I don't like about my Tron LE is the fact that the colored inserts are all lit by cool white LEDs.

#8 11 years ago

Greg, even your camera is blinded by the LED's...yeesh

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Actually, I would say that if there is one consensus in using LEDs (and let's face it, there isn't much consensus at all when it comes to LEDs) it is that you should match the color of the LED to the color of the insert (with the exception of the previously mentioned yellow inserts, warm white works well there). A cool white LED under a red or orange insert isn't going to look too good, especially compared to it's colored counterpart.

Actually in my testing it seems like red and greens are about the same w/ the cool white LEDs. In my BK2K right now I've got 3 red arrows in a row....one with incandescent, one with a PBL Ghostbuster and one with a CT 2-LED Premium. The color is pretty much exactly the same but the CT is brighter than the other 2. I also have some greens in the game w/ LED, some w/ incandescent...color is pretty much the same, but LEDs are brighter. When it comes to blue - I guess it depends what kind of blue you want. With a cool white LED, you get a nice "sky blue". Personally I like how this looks. If you prefer a deep blue, then color match. I color matched an orange, and it actually makes it deeper than incandescent under an orange - so I'd probably want to try warm white LEDs under orange and yellow in most games.

Anyway - I did a bit more testing today. I took some of the 2-LED GI bulbs out of my ACDC and tried them on some other games to see how they'd look. I even tried them in my Avatar which I used all Frosteds in....and actually the cool Frosteds are *slightly* warmer than other cool bulbs! Weird. The 2LEDs are brighter, but not as blinding as Retros. So - I might end up trying these 2LEDs as GI on future conversions. I even tried them in my "warmest" game - FGY...and...*gulp*...they actually worked well lol..Brian on the sling became pure white and I liked it. I tried some Premiums under a red white and blue insert and wow...colors I didn't know existed on this game.

F*****CK. It's over. Cointaker, here I come...get ready for some money. lol

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I took some of the 2-LED GI bulbs out of my ACDC and tried them on some other games to see how they'd look

I did the same thing with my Xmen Wolverine, I took out some of the 2 LED white and blue from the GI and plunked them into my new Tron Pro GI, overall I really like how they looked. Decided to give the whole GI a try with the 2 LEDs on Tron, so ordered up what I needed from Cointaker and there's a few more bucks out the door. Might like it, maybe not, but thought why not give it a go and see how it looks. It's only money.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from Buckman:

I did the same thing with my Xmen Wolverine, I took out some of the 2 LED white and blue from the GI and plunked them into my new Tron Pro GI, overall I really like how they looked. Decided to give the whole GI a try with the 2 LEDs on Tron, so ordered up what I needed from Cointaker and there's a few more bucks out the door. Might like it, maybe not, but thought why not give it a go and see how it looks. It's only money.

I think it means I'm at that point where I've been complacent with my collection for a while and feel the need to mix it up a bit.....pinball version of midlife crisis? LOL

#12 11 years ago

Good to read this thread.. i have always WANTED to like LED's but hated how they screw with original colors and distract...

Greg/Buckles - the 2LED's from ACDC/Xmen.. are they the CT 2LED premiums you mention above or which ones are they?

My goals:
1 - replace incandescent 44 in backboxes without distorting color
2 - GI and insert replacements.. i know this will be based on personal preference - but once again i am looking for slightly brighter and non-focused light that generally keep the original feel.

#13 11 years ago

Here's my recent dilemma with LED's. And I'm glad this thread was started. I am 50/50 with Led. Sometimes they're awful and sometimes they're desperately needed. When I did my LOTR I wanted to keep the warm feel and give it my own look. I think LOTR is done well, but for some reason I just feel the mode/palantir/destroy ring shouldn't be white. Especially with the fellowship right below. It's also very hard to enjoy the lighting playing in the daytime. I felt orange/yellow would be the right angle. Unless my order was messed up CT orange and yellow are the exact same color. At least with frosted bulbs (I didn;t want my game too bright). I also wanted to make the game "good vs evil) red towards the right upper area and green towards the shire. It was almost working. No matter which way I go with LED's or incandescent bulbs it's either monotonous or a friggen bag of skittles. I think warm white is definitely the way to go in situations like this but I have a box of cool white bulbs and I don't want to spend $50 on another "test".

On the other side of the story. When I did WPT it made me feel like I didn't even play the game before. It's not only an improvement but seemed necessary. I think we should start a LED swap thread so we can trade colors and types when our "experiments" go wrong. Anyone want cool super brights for warm .

Basically in a newb type fo way I am finding out through experience that I agree exactly with what Frax said. On my STTNG there's white frosted cool bulbs in the GI and they pop into your peripheral and take away from the game.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from FiveSixPyro:

On my STTNG there's white frosted cool bulbs in the GI and they pop into your peripheral and take away from the game.

Hmm...I'm pretty sensitive to LED brightness - but so far to me it seems that the Frosted ones are the way to go when you DON'T want a poke of brightness in your peripheral. Maybe they're a different type of frosted? I used CT Frosted which have a round dome & you don't see any LED "pinpoint" at all.

Quoted from JoeJet:

Good to read this thread.. i have always WANTED to like LED's but hated how they screw with original colors and distract...
Greg/Buckles - the 2LED's from ACDC/Xmen.. are they the CT 2LED premiums you mention above or which ones are they?
My goals:
2 - GI and insert replacements.. i know this will be based on personal preference - but once again i am looking for slightly brighter and non-focused light that generally keep the original feel.

Yes, AC/DC and X-Men LE use CT 2-LED ...but NOT Premiums. They seem to functionally be the same but will ghost in inserts - they seem fine for GI/Backboxes, though.

Not sure what you mean by "distort color" ...cool white LEDs definitely change color. Behind translights, it actually seems to enhance color. I went around to a few games using 4 cool LEDs (2-LEDs, some Supers...whatever I had laying around) and on the very "red" tinted B/W translites, it really brings out a new spectrum of color. For instance on Shadow, it really brings out the whites in the girl's dress & the colors of the peacock feathers....it really brings out the blue in Alec Baldwin's eyes (lol). It gets rid of the sepia tone of B/W translites. Whether that's good or bad is up to your tastes....I kinda like it actually.

Honestly my biggest surprise was the test I did on FGY...for me to not go UGH at cool whites in my warmest colored game....I dunno if it's just the quality and light spread of the newer styles of LED, or if the new Stern LEs have just melted my brain and made me accept the LED style color....I dunno...it's so weird...hold my hand, I'm scared.

I still don't think I'd convert LOTR, though hehe

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Hmm...I'm pretty sensitive to LED brightness - but so far to me it seems that the Frosted ones are the way to go when you DON'T want a poke of brightness in your peripheral. Maybe they're a different type of frosted? I used CT Frosted which have a round dome & you don't see any LED "pinpoint" at all.

I still don't think I'd convert LOTR, though hehe

There are a few areas where the plastics are high where the subway delivers the ball to the cannons and it peeks through the open space. I do agree, maybe the plastics on the machine I'm babysitting are not installed the best. The more I try the more I agree about leaving LOTR factory. I just mostly play in the daytime. Maybe it's time for better shades/curtains.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from FiveSixPyro:

There are a few areas where the plastics are high where the subway delivers the ball to the cannons and it peeks through the open space.

Yeah...but I can see the bright spots of the incandescent bulbs on my STTNG in those spots right now anyway. I'm going to try CT 2-LEDs & Frosteds in those spots and see how they look.

#17 11 years ago

I have a few of the 2-led premiums that have the flat-topped caps. They almost sit flush with the PF I think that's probably better than the frosted.

#18 11 years ago

Here's my version of Avatar with LED's.

DSC02544.jpgDSC02544.jpg

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from FiveSixPyro:

The more I try the more I agree about leaving LOTR factory

I would also agree with this, I tried to put Cointaker warm white Premium 2 LED in the white / clear, orange and yellow inserts and also colour matched some red and green, overall I just didn't like it. Maybe I'm just used to the stock look with the 555s in there, but I found it too bright overall and it just didn't look right. Ended up taking most of the LEDs out and went back to a mostly stock look and I find I like it better. I've seen some pretty neat looking LOTRs with LEDs but I guess that's just not the look I'm after.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Here's my version of Avatar with LED's.

Looks pretty perfect to me. What did you use in the GI?

I've found that I like to try and approach the original incandescent look as close as possible when it comes to GI. That means it is important to find the best Warm White as possible. BCS pinball WW1 LED's come really really close.

I do use colored LED's to highlight areas the call for it on a game by game basis. ToM looks great with some red and purple LED's highlighting the curtains in the back. Stern games always look great with the right colored LED's in the backboard. Also think LED's are essential behind a translite. When it comes to Stern games, I rip out that damn florescent and get an LED board from Flipper Fidelity or Cointaker.

Kind of liking the new Cointaker Premiums. They are very bright, but that has grown on me.

#21 11 years ago

Holy Crap, the Mayans must be right... first Neo is selling overpriced games that he swore were never these prices, and now Greg is using LEDs.....

Time to start looking for that fallout shelter...

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Holy Crap, the Mayans must be right... first Neo is selling overpriced games that he swore were never these prices, and now Greg is using LEDs.....

ROFL!

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I might as well buy a BBB for 20k now that the world's ending lol

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I might as well buy a BBB for 20k now that the world's ending lol

Only if you put LEDs in it...LOL

#25 11 years ago

The cool thing about LEDs is how many different types of bulbs are becoming available to meet the different tastes us pinheads have.

#26 11 years ago

Rarehero: to comment a bit on this long thread...
The retros are way brighter than the standard doubles like used in acdc. The frosted bulbs are just doubles like used in acdc but with a frosted cap on them. The premium doubles are more like double retros. I recommend:

- retros in all GI everywhere except any place that is not covered by plastic or where part of the bulb can be seen by the eye directly. It is very unpleasant to look at a retro directly. Therefore, use a frosted in those locations.
- use premium singles for the inserts in all stems to avoid ghosting
- for Williams games you can use regular non premiums (supers and retros) and if there is ghosting patch your rom with the non ghosting rom patcher.
- retros are just supers with a clear cap
- for a brighter frosted bulb if needed, you can decap a frosted and a retro and put the frosted cap onto the retro
- I strongly recommend adding 4-5 spotlights after to even out the center playfield lighting and the lighting by the flippers. Believe it or not, the purple supers work perfectly here. They give off a flowing light that doesn't really look purple and activates any uv reflective features in the pf.

#27 11 years ago

Markmon, please explain the spotlight comment for a newbie

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from captkirk:

Markmon, please explain the spotlight comment for a newbie

Pretty sure Mark is talking about adding these:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1542

I've added them to several of my pins, but never have I added more than two. I think Mark's recommendation of adding 4 to 5 is overkill.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Pretty sure Mark is talking about adding these:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1542
I've added them to several of my pins, but never have I added more than two. I think Mark's recommendation of adding 4 to 5 is overkill.

Yeah and purple is overkill...I'm not going to color my games. Is that why your POTC looked pink, Mark?

Quoted from markmon:

The premium doubles are more like double retros.

Hmmm...I asked Melissa @CT which was brighter - Preimum 2-LED or Premium Super...she said Super. So - if Retro=Super, how can 2-LED be a double Retro if the Super is brighter? (I confused myself typing this lol) ...I think maybe the 2-LED Premium is equivelant brightness to the regular 2-LEDs (as used in AC/DC, Xmen LE)

#30 11 years ago

Rarehero, if refering to directional 'brightness' I can see a super being called that since it is more like a beam of light. But if we are talking light spread and overall illumination the Premium 2s are what I would classify as brighter than a single super. The Premium 2s are what I believe to be 2 of their mini LEDs in one base with a custom cap. Providing much better light spread IMO. They are both pretty bright though that is for sure. The Supers do have more intense color where the Premium 2 seem similar to the color/look you would see out of a crazily bright colored incandescent bulb.

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah and purple is overkill...I'm not going to color my games. Is that why your POTC looked pink, Mark?

As I already the you, that's due to the camera in low light. It does not look purple or pink in person. Also, purple bulbs in spotlights properly raised on hex spacers does not color change the machine. It's pretty hard to explain without seeing it in person and photos are totally worthless for this.

#32 11 years ago

Just curious as someone else who is pretty new to LEDs -- do the non-ghosting bulbs from Pinball Life also have the capacitor that the NoFlix Plus bulbs have to give them a smooth on-off rather than a strobe effect? I'm much more concerned about strobing than ghosting. I almost never hear anyone mention using NoFlix Plus bulbs on Pinside. Is there a reason? I thought I had heard they were the best non-strobing bulbs available, and I just bought some to try out and they seem really nice to me so far. Just wondering if I'm missing something!

It's cool to see this thread, though, as I'm pretty much in the exact spot Greg is and I share his opinions on all of this. I want to like LEDs, especially for games I'm putting on location, but I feel like color matching inserts and adding colored GI is way too much. And the players out there will kill me if I use anything too bright or strobey. I've been using exclusively cool/warm bulbs in inserts and GI so far and I'm liking the results. You get the benefits of LEDs without the crazy super-saturated color that I've always associated with them, and disliked, in the past.

#33 11 years ago

I've been a really big fan of cointakers LEDs...I've probably spent close to $1500 on them so far.

I don't care much for the LEDs they sell now. They've gone to a new supplier. The new LEDs have a slightly larger diameter body that won't fit in certain areas.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from bobbyconover:

I almost never hear anyone mention using NoFlix Plus bulbs on Pinside. Is there a reason?

Shipped from Europe they run in the neighborhood of $3 a bulb. I can tell you that this is why I stopped considering them when I was looking into LEDs.

Their videos are impressive, plus they have two more colors in the blue spectrum (teal and turquoise). I'd like to see that from US sources.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

As I already the you, that's due to the camera in low light. It does not look purple or pink in person. Also, purple bulbs in spotlights properly raised on hex spacers does not color change the machine. It's pretty hard to explain without seeing it in person and photos are totally worthless for this.

Why would you put purple bulbs in spotlights if you intent was *not* to change the color of the machine?

And how would putting purple bulbs in the spotlights *not* change the color of the machine?

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Why would you put purple bulbs in spotlights if you intent was *not* to change the color of the machine?
And how would putting purple bulbs in the spotlights *not* change the color of the machine?

Yeah, I dunno...maybe he's saying there's enough bright white to counteract the monochroming effect? Actually - I've added spotlights to games already. It's hard to see in that Avatar pic, but I added an extra spot on the ramp to shine on the AMP suit, and on the left sling that's shining on the Na'vi figures. That one has a blue "f*cking bright" from PBL...and while it gives the Na'vi a nice blue tinge, it's not making any area of the game blue monochrome, possibly due to the white spotlight under it and all the other white light.

I've also added a spotlight to my Addams over the bookcase area, and on NGG to shine on the spinning disc area.

#37 11 years ago

Just curious as someone else who is pretty new to LEDs -- do the non-ghosting bulbs from Pinball Life also have the capacitor that the NoFlix Plus bulbs have to give them a smooth on-off rather than a strobe effect?

I've never seen a No-Flix, but the PBL's and Ghostbusters definitely have a smoother fade transition than older LEDs that I've monkeyed with in the past. It's not perfect, but at least in the case of my Avatar, the pros outweigh the cons. Flickery LED fade on Stern light shows used to bug the crap out of me...it's not bugging me w/ these bulbs. So, I dunno...take that for what it's worth. Not sure what causes this, but the colored inserts cause the light to fade smoother than the white ones.

#38 11 years ago

I almost never hear anyone mention using NoFlix Plus bulbs on Pinside. Is there a reason?

Yeah...they cost way too much.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It's pretty odd. But the cointaker super purple, when used in a spotlight looks more like a very cool white but not as bright and it activates a lot of the UV sensitive artwork. I don't use them when purple night clash. For example, Indiana jones is primarily yellow and green. So purple stands out rather than blends in there. But most games have a lot of blue and red anyway so they just blend in. You'd have to see it to believe it.

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

It's pretty odd. But the cointaker super purple, when used in a spotlight looks more like a very cool white but not as bright and it activates a lot of the UV sensitive artwork. I don't use them when purple night clash. For example, Indiana Jones is primarily yellow and green. So purple stands out rather than blends in there. But most games have a lot of blue and red anyway so they just blend in. You'd have to see it to believe it.

What games have UV sensitive art?

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

don't care much for the LEDs they sell now. They've gone to a new supplier. The new LEDs have a slightly larger diameter body that won't fit in certain areas.

it's funny that you should mention that. I received a small "sample" packet of LEDs with my last order from marco and sure enough, none of the LEDs (44) would fit into the socket for the start button of my CftBL. the small "ring" where the dome is fused to the base is ~ 1mm too wide.

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

none of the LEDs (44) would fit into the socket for the start button of my CftBL.

Not saying this is the issue you are having but some LEDs that come in the 44 format need to have the base solder of it sanded down a bit to fit into the socket properly.

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Welcome to the LED club, Greg. I predict that you will soon spend thousands LEDing the rest of your collection.

OK. So now you have your machine LED'd perfectly. Did everyone write down the EXACT lamp they used for EACH location? And then order a duplicate set for backup? Cuz you know eventually, one is going to fail (especially if it was dropped during installation) and are you going to order just one? And is the new one you receive going to be exactly the same? And if it's not exactly the same, will it screw up the look of the rest of the game when you install it? Just asking!

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

What games have UV sensitive art?

Ramps in Batman Forever. I too am curious to know what else.

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

My goals:

These might be what you are looking for?

http://www.pinballmania.co.uk/trueled.htm

LED's that match bulbs.

Not tried yet but experimenting with Cointaker and Noflix.......I waste hours trying different combos trying to get the right look!

#46 11 years ago

Rollergames has some neon inks that react well with blacklight. We took a 15 year old car blacklight to the playfield when we had it pulled out because I was curious. The neons on the plastics, and the outfits on the 2 main girls mostly.

Would look awesome in some place with overhead blacklights, but frankly, that crap is hard on your vision and my eyes are bad enough, and it's too spread out on my game to put spotlights on it.

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from PeteM:

Shipped from Europe they run in the neighborhood of $3 a bulb. I can tell you that this is why I stopped considering them when I was looking into LEDs.
Their videos are impressive, plus they have two more colors in the blue spectrum (teal and turquoise). I'd like to see that from US sources.

For what it's worth I took a gamble and got 100 of them shipped over here for 140 Euro, which is about $180. Not that I feel great about spending $1.80 per bulb, but that's a ways off from $3!

#48 11 years ago

For what it's worth I took a gamble and got 100 of them shipped over here for 140 Euro, which is about $180. Not that I feel great about spending $1.80 per bulb, but that's a ways off from $3!

Make sure you let us know how that works out, and video of them fading properly too. If these guys did it "right" then let's reward them appropriately...

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I've been a really big fan of cointakers LEDs...I've probably spent close to $1500 on them so far.
I don't care much for the LEDs they sell now. They've gone to a new supplier. The new LEDs have a slightly larger diameter body that won't fit in certain areas.

I wasn't aware of this. Which bulbs would this be from cointaker that have a larger diameter body?

#50 11 years ago

wow..... first the berlin wall falls now this!! i never thought this day would come greg.

the big question here is when will you be led'ng the LOTR or is that pin off limits when it comes to leds??

i think your avatar came out nicely. i think you can def overdue it on avatar. ive seen a few of them where it is nothing but strong BLUES and GREENS (waaaay too much of the blues). all the colors in the pf and plastics just wash out and look very smurfy (when overdone with the blue leds).

Quoted from Rarehero:

I find that white works well with most inserts...the insert is colored, afterall, and will be in color w/ white shining through it. The only one that drasically changed vs. incandescent was the Eywa & Valkyrie pink inserts. Those turn kind of lavender w/ cool white LEDs. I might try some warm whites to re-pinkify them. Then again, I might just get used to the new color and leave it lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

16,500 (Firm)
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 29.95
$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 229 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-i-started-dabbling-w-leds-the-slippery-slopeglarghghgh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.