(Topic ID: 58745)

So I sold a few pins and bought a Porsche..

By RawleyD

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“I am of the opinion that..”

• Boxsters are badass! 34 votes
      14%
    • Boxsters are for girls! 112 votes
      46%
    • Boxsters are for one of your midlife crises. 50 votes
      21%
    • Boxsters are lame (because I've never ridden in one) 12 votes
      5%
    • sandwich 55 votes
      23%

(Multiple choice - 242 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

James-dean-porsche.jpg
    photo.JPG
    IMG_0630.JPG
    1979_Bally_Bensenville_plant.jpg
    20130729_182432-1.jpg
    G35-5.jpg
    8-9-13_009.JPG
    Bug.jpg
    DSC_8104.JPG
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    tumblr_mkjk4hb8Cb1rke1amo1_500.gif
    photo02.JPG
    photo.JPG
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    There are 162 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 10 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

Didn't sell any pins, but this is my ride. She turns 3 years old this month...12k miles.
    I plan on selling it within 2-3 months if anyone is interested. Mint...0 dings. 6-speed gated shifter

Love the R8. Why are you selling? Just time for something new?

#102 10 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

Very true, it comes with an extra 6th gear just for that basically...so why don't more cars do that? They're doing it now a lot more than they used to, but they've been doing in it on the vette since the 6 speed in the vette in 97 I believe, and it got 30mpg in that car at freeway speeds.

This year 2014 the vette got a 7 speed

#103 10 years ago

R8, drove a V10 paddle shift and much prefer the stick shift. One of the best cars on the planet and something that I wish I drove as my daily.

#104 10 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

I don't believe that for a second.

What no comment ?

#105 10 years ago
    Quoted from Gerry:

What no comment ?

I would put my Jag against anything here, and give it all a run for the money or out right beat it.

Here is a list of punishing I have given since Feb.

2013 Audi S5
    2000 WS6 Trans am Borla, mapping, and 6spd
    2006 BMW M5
    1970 LS6 Chevelle
    1987 Regal T-Type

I know its not the fastest thing out there nothing is EVER the fastest, but it handles wicked, and goes like an animal in straight line...

And yes its 4 doors, and the long wheel base version, a Van Dan Plas S/C

243 made in 2001... 748 total VDP S/C made between 1995-2003..the 95-97's were 6 cyl S/C at 325HP

Mine is the V8 S/C and it has some PEE PEE... LOL

#106 10 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

Didn't sell any pins, but this is my ride. She turns 3 years old this month...12k miles.
    I plan on selling it within 2-3 months if anyone is interested. Mint...0 dings. 6-speed gated shifter

Snaroff, are the blades black or carbon fiber? It's difficult to tell in the photos. Nice ride; have you had any problems with it? Although with 12,000 miles you haven't driven it enough to have any problems. Heck, I'd put that on every quarter of a year.

#107 10 years ago

If I sold my entire collection I could get a fairly decent, but not great, mountain bike.

#108 10 years ago
    Quoted from Gerry:

I would put my Jag against anything here, and give it all a run for the money or out right beat it.
    2013 Audi S5
    2006 BMW M5
    1970 LS6 Chevelle
    1987 Regal T-Type

Well, let's see:

2013 Audi S5 - 1/4 mile 13.8
    2000 WS6 TA - 1/4 mile 13.5
    2006 BMW M5 - 1/4 mile 12.8
    1970 LS6 Chevelle - 1/4 mile 13.1
    1987 Regal T-Type - 1/4 mile 14.1

The best time for the best SC Jaguar (XFR) is 13.4

So, depending on Driver, conditions, etc, I'd say you're assessment is about right, except the BMW guy was a lousy driver

And like you said, always something faster. My SC Marauder clocks in at 12.5 and my 86 modded GN clocks in at 10.8. The marauder looks like a Crown Vic, so noone expects the spanking. The 86 GN looks like that 87 t-type but there's a big difference between 14.1 and 10.8

Last but not least, street racing is dangerous and unpredictable. Race those cars at the track under controlled conditions with experienced drivers and your results may differ.

Last but not least, nice ride. I love the luxury and performance of the 4 door super sedans.

#109 10 years ago
    Quoted from TurnOne:

R8, drove a V10 paddle shift and much prefer the stick shift. One of the best cars on the planet and something that I wish I drove as my daily.

Exactly. The paddle shift software is behind the times and drives rough (and adds 10k to the cost iirc). I'm told its great on the track, however not many of us are driving the R8 on the track much

Quoted from taylor34:

Love the R8. Why are you selling? Just time for something new?

Currently a 3 car family. Plan on downsizing to 2, so I need a more practical car. I also like changing my car lineup every 2-3 years. Decided to go with the RS7...the twin turbo V8 feels faster than the R8 and the car's form factor is much more practical (especially like the hatchback). The 7-speed dual clutch transmission is also world-class (unlike the R8 paddle shift mechanism).

Despite all this, the R8 will be missed...a great everyday super car that (fortunately) still comes with a manual transmission. So many manufacturers aren't offering manual transmissions anymore (which is a shame imho).

#110 10 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Snaroff, are the blades black or carbon fiber? It's difficult to tell in the photos. Nice ride; have you had any problems with it? Although with 12,000 miles you haven't driven it enough to have any problems. Heck, I'd put that on every quarter of a year.

Blades are actually a dark blue (which are "stock" when you order the Sepang Blue Pearl Effect, which is a color unique to the v10). The carbon around the engine is also stock on the v10. The only 2 options on this car are piano black interior inlays and black alcantara headliners (which both add up to 3k).

Car has been error free. Considering it's hand-made, very impressive that's it's been so rock solid.

I understand 12k isn't a lot for 3 years, however for exotic cars (like Ferrari's, Lambo's, etc.), 12k is considered high mileage by many I think the difference with the R8 is it's such a great everyday drive (not prickly like many exotics). It's also low cost to maintain and comes with a traditional 4 year warranty. From a cost of ownership perspective, it's just like any car. I've heard horror stories when it comes to the cost of ownership with other manufacturers of high-end sports cars.

#111 10 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

Well, let's see:
    2013 Audi S5 - 1/4 mile 13.8
    2000 WS6 TA - 1/4 mile 13.5
    2006 BMW M5 - 1/4 mile 12.8
    1970 LS6 Chevelle - 1/4 mile 13.1
    1987 Regal T-Type - 1/4 mile 14.1
    The best time for the best SC Jaguar (XFR) is 13.4
    So, depending on Driver, conditions, etc, I'd say you're assessment is about right, except the BMW guy was a lousy driver
    And like you said, always something faster. My SC Marauder clocks in at 12.5 and my 86 modded GN clocks in at 10.8. The marauder looks like a Crown Vic, so noone expects the spanking. The 86 GN looks like that 87 t-type but there's a big difference between 14.1 and 10.8
    Last but not least, street racing is dangerous and unpredictable. Race those cars at the track under controlled conditions with experienced drivers and your results may differ.
    Last but not least, nice ride. I love the luxury and performance of the 4 door super sedans.

Next year is remapping, modded crank sensor, Borla, and smaller S/C pulley ( top only), cause the m122 is only good to a certain point...

If I feel like really going nuts, the Kenny Bell Twin Screw S/C is the way to go..

That setup get you into the high 5's low 6's RWH... pump gas, 21LBS boost, stock cats and doesn't push the head gaskets out of it... but the total job is about 10-11 K...

But what a ride that would be

#112 10 years ago

My buddy has a Marauder, I was with him last night...

But I had the Seville..we are gonna bash em off at some point though... his is bone stock..

should be fun

#113 10 years ago
    Quoted from Gerry:

My buddy has a Marauder, I was with him last night...
    But I had the Seville..we are gonna bash em off at some point though... his is bone stock..
    should be fun

Cool...Bone Stock Marauders are 305HP and run mid 14's in the 1/4...so pretty slow comparatively speaking. Mercury screwed the pooch by not putting factory SC's on them and 4:10 gears, but the bean counters got there way in the end. They had good guts, DOHC with the aluminum Mach 1 block and heads, so they withstand moderate horsepower gains. Throw an Eaton SC on them or a ProCharger, and at 450 to 500 RWHP with some 4:10's, you've got a mid to low 12 car with leather interior and all the amenities. I don't have any illusions of being the fastest on the road with the Marauder (The GN comes closer to that), but I do like having a car that noone else does (limited production), that's comfortable and has moderate sleeper performance with the SC.

#114 10 years ago
    Quoted from Gerry:

2013 Audi S5
    2006 BMW M5
    1970 LS6 Chevelle
    1987 Regal T-Type
    I know its not the fastest thing out there nothing is EVER the fastest, but it handles wicked, and goes like an animal in straight line...
    And yes its 4 doors, and the long wheel base version, a Van Dan Plas S/C
    243 made in 2001... 748 total VDP S/C made between 1995-2003..the 95-97's were 6 cyl S/C at 325HP
    Mine is the V8 S/C and it has some PEE PEE... LOL

Well, bring that car over to Detroit some weekend and we will see how it does. Right now, the 665 HP Shelby Mustangs and ZR1 Corvettes are kind of ruling the streets especially if they are owned by a Ford or GM engineer (testing new go-fast parts). The launch control systems on these cars allow some pretty serious 1/4 times with minimal effort. If you do bring the Jag over and pull up next to a 2012 Corvette Z06 with a teenee, tiny Livernois Motorsports decal on the side, get ready for a real fun show. We even have guys with SmartCars running highly modified Hyabusa engines in them that will kick some serious tail. And yes, keep it on the track.

#115 10 years ago

At least you picked a good color, RawleyD!

Congrats and enjoy the Boxster!

BZZZ2.jpgBZZZ2.jpg

#116 10 years ago
    Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Well, bring that car over to Detroit some weekend and we will see how it does. Right now, the 665 HP Shelby Mustangs and ZR1 Corvettes are kind of ruling the streets especially if they are owned by a Ford or GM engineer (testing new go-fast parts). The launch control systems on these cars allow some pretty serious 1/4 times with minimal effort. If you do bring the Jag over and pull up next to a 2012 Corvette Z06 with a teenee, tiny Livernois Motorsports decal on the side, get ready for a real fun show. We even have guys with SmartCars running highly modified Hyabusa engines in them that will kick some serious tail. And yes, keep it on the track.

Well put. That jag is a small fish in an ocean of horse power.

#117 10 years ago

So I took the money I was hoarding for ST and bought a 93 968. Somehow it's funner than looking at a pile of money waiting on a game that may or may not be here this year. Also there is no guarantee I'll get an LE because who knows how the allotments are going for sure. I'm on a waiting list but until you get the shipping confirmation who knows.

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#118 10 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

Well put. That jag is a small fish in an ocean of horse power.

Well, looks like a Twin Screw S/C must go in !

That will certainly end the small fish comments...

All in all the XJ is the perfect sleeper, with nice HP out of the box...

I now have a new goal to attain

#119 10 years ago

Well, looks like a Twin Screw S/C must go in !
    That will certainly end the small fish comments...
    All in all the XJ is the perfect sleeper, with nice HP out of the box...
    I now have a new goal to attain

You want to see a sleeper, there was a guy on Woodward Ave last year with a 2003 Chrysler M with two motors in it. One in the front, one in the trunk. It looked 100% bone stock except for twin exhaust pipes.

Seriously, do some research before you twin screw that Jag to make sure it doesn't need some lowered compression. You are likely to create some serious heat under that hood with a heavy blower. My buddie's Shelby GT 500 needed twice the inter-cooler just to handle the pulley change on the supercharger alone.

photo.JPGphoto.JPG photo02.JPGphoto02.JPG

#120 10 years ago
    Quoted from RawleyD:

Man I love the sound when you open up the throttle

I always found the stock Boxsters sounded like a sewing machine.......but if you want to give it a more aggressive sound, then do the DeSnorkle mod + a cold air intake kit. It will really make it sing >4k rpm.

#121 10 years ago

I sold a few pins, bought a delorean time machine, went back in time and told myself to not sell the pins!

Genius!

tumblr_mkjk4hb8Cb1rke1amo1_500.giftumblr_mkjk4hb8Cb1rke1amo1_500.gif

#122 10 years ago

I happen to think that Boxster's are very capable cars. I am not a huge fan of verts, so I think the Cayman is a better looking car, but still, the Boxter S is a very nice ride. I do not think of it as a "chick car" nearly as much as a Mini or VW Bug. How it performs on race track is what really matters with a Porsche and I have seen some very fast Boxsters out on many a road course.

Someone mentioned it earlier, but the rear main seal for the engine is the "Achilles heal" on these cars. It is my understanding however that a special tool was developed to change it in a fraction of what it used to take. I could be wrong however.

I do think that Porsche lost their way a bit with the 911. It started to get pretty heavy and laden with luxury garbage many people did not care about. Of course the GT2 and GT3 models have held to the 911 roots.

Growing up, I always wanted a 1977 930 Turbo. I always thought that is/was the best looking Porsche of all time...4 speed manual and all.

And somebody mentioned the 917 earlier. Do yourself a favor and visit Road America the third weekend of any July for the Brian Redmond challenge. There are usually a few 917's that show up. The Porsche 917k and 917/30 models are some of the most incredible motor vehicles ever made. A 917/30 in full Can Am dress sporting race boost pushes 1300-1400 HP and their acceleration down a straightaway is breathtaking. The engine oil on these cars is actually cooled through the tubular birdcage and they had technology that was decades ahead of its time.

If the right Boxster came along and I was getting sick of a few machines, I would make the trade in a heartbeat.

#123 10 years ago

I would rather have the pinballs......

#124 10 years ago

Nice pickup Rawley! I've never driven a Boxster but I bet it's a ton of fun!

Quoted from robertmee:

I eat porsche's for breakfast
    Seriously, tho, nice car....I appreciate anyone in the car hobby as I flip/flop between pins and cars. Just went to a classic car auction a couple of weekends ago...450 cars. I bid on another GN and a Turbo Trans Am, but missed out on both.

Nice, I can't believe I haven't noticed your avatar before! Its cool that you're into GN's and TTA's, some don't even know what they are... I've had a GMC Typhoon since 2003, she's my weekend toy with 500hp and 550ft/lbs image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#125 10 years ago
    Quoted from Cam:

Nice, I can't believe I haven't noticed your Avatar before! Its cool that you're into GN's and TTA's, some don't even know what they are... I've had a GMC Typhoon since 2003, she's my weekend toy with 500hp and 550ft/lbs

Sweet....I've gone back and forth on pursuing a Typhoon or Lightning...Now I'm toying with getting a 60's international scout and dropping a sbc in it....Like this:

#126 10 years ago
    Quoted from Cam:

Nice, I can't believe I haven't noticed your Avatar before! Its cool that you're into GN's and TTA's, some don't even know what they are... I've had a GMC Typhoon since 2003, she's my weekend toy with 500hp and 550ft/lbs

I remember when the Syclone and Typhoons first hit the streets here in Detroit. This is typically around 6-8 months before the rest of the country sees them. They were a force to be reckoned with. I had a friend who worked at a GM Truck Warranty Call Center (many people assumed they were Chevrolet) and he told me about this guy who would boost his Syclone and bracket race it on the weekend in Alaska and then call in for warranty work the following week after returning it to stock. They ended up putting an early form of "nanny" on it so they could record how much boost it was making. Turns out he was doubling it and they voided his warranty. It was a great "cat and mouse" story.

#127 10 years ago
    Quoted from DarkWizard:

I sold a few pins, bought a delorean Time Machine, went back in time and told myself to not sell the pins!
    Genius!

But then you'd never have been able to buy the Delorean, thus creating a paradox and destroying the whole universe. Nice move dude.

#128 10 years ago
    Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Seriously, do some research before you twin screw that Jag to make sure it doesn't need some lowered compression. You are likely to create some serious heat under that hood with a heavy blower. My buddie's Shelby GT 500 needed twice the inter-cooler just to handle the pulley change on the supercharger alone.

The kit is plug and play for the most part, its the Avos Twin Screw kit...

There is a ton of info on it, on Jaguarforums.com

The original guy, had 185K on a 2000 XKR, and has been running this setup for 4 yrs, bone stock motor, and has never pushed a head gasket..

Running BIG boost too...

but the whole thing with some very mild fab is about 10K in the end...
    but it turns it into a different car...

I think there are 4 examples of it installed stateside now, all with great success..

And you lose none of the drivablilty...

And yes bigger intercooler pumps are required...

#129 10 years ago

Didn't have to sell any pins but i probably could have bought several more instead.

DSC_8104.JPGDSC_8104.JPG

#130 10 years ago

sold my 99 boxster. have 11 pins
    luv both.

#131 10 years ago

Which ones are rarer? GMC Syclone or Typhoon?

#132 10 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

Sweet....I've gone back and forth on pursuing a Typhoon or Lightning...Now I'm toying with getting a 60's international scout and dropping a sbc in it....Like this:
    » YouTube video

Well dont spend to much there was a 70 bronco on ebay a couple of months ago that was beautiful. Blown big block owner said about 700 HP and it was set up for the track. It was so clean it could have been a show truck. It sold for just north of 10k. He said he had over 35k in it.

#133 10 years ago

Yeah, you can definitely buy them cheaper than building them

#134 10 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Which ones are rarer? GMC Syclone or Typhoon?

The Syclones came first, but they made less of them. (3k S's & aprox. 4.7k T's) Just my opinion here, but I believe GM thought they could sell more Typhoon's (& at more money) because you could haul more than 2 people in them.

#135 10 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

and my 86 modded GN clocks in at 10.8.

Robert - What mod's did you do to your '86 GN? 10.8 in the quarter is absolutely awesome!

#136 10 years ago

I built my sweet purple bug long before I was into pins. I'll never sell her because I rebuilt her myself from the ground up. Besides, she's not worth much anyways!

Bug.jpgBug.jpg

#137 10 years ago

Good luck with the porsche

#138 10 years ago
    Quoted from PurpleTophat:

I built my sweet purple bug long before I was into pins. I'll never sell her because I rebuilt her myself from the ground up. Besides, she's not worth much anyways!

'74?

#139 10 years ago
    Quoted from KrustyBurger:

Robert - What mod's did you do to your '86 GN? 10.8 in the quarter is absolutely awesome!

Don't know if I can remember them all

- CPT65 BB Turbo
    - 60# Injectors
    - Greddy Profec spec II boost control
    - Powerplate
    - BeCool aluminum Radiator/Intercooler + Dual Ram fans
    - ScanMaster/Powerlogger
    - ATR 3" Downpipe
    - ATR 3" SS dual ehaust
    - TurboTweak ECM chip
    - RJC Crank + WP pullies
    - Red Armstrong XP Fuel Pump hotwired
    - Volt Booster
    - Razor Meth/Alky Injection
    - Greddy Profec spec II boost control
    - Ported Wastegate
    - Kirban's front and rear brace kits
    - FJO Wideband
    - EGT Temp monitor
    - Airbags
    - PTSXtreme S/S performance billet transmission
    - MT Drag Radials

That's the nice thing about Turbo Buicks...I've run that combo with around 28 psi boost on the stock bottom end with 132K miles, and it takes a beating and keeps on rolling. I've since de-tuned the car to a safer 22 PSI, so I'm probably running mid 11's now, as I want to extend the life for as long as I can...Once the engine detonates I'll probably go with a StageII build.

#140 10 years ago

I went to buy a pin and came home with a 1983 Porsche 928. It was the fastest car sold in America in 1983. It was a blast to drive and I drove way to fast so before I got caught I sold it and bought a Glastron-Carlson CV-23. This is also fast and fun.

8-9-13_009.JPG8-9-13_009.JPG

#141 10 years ago

You got it! Although I never should have sold my 65! All in all, I'm happy with how the 74 turned out though.

#142 10 years ago

the 74 looks awesome to me. enjoy it. thanks ed

#143 10 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

Right now ive been collecting to many motorcycles.

No such thing

#144 10 years ago

Sold my G35 after 3 years. Loved driving it, just wasn't a family car. Bought a few more Pins with the sale. I have to admit, I do miss it at times. Went to a member on the Bash Forum.

G35-5.jpgG35-5.jpg

#145 10 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

The vette was the only thing that I could buy that fit me, had good reliability, and got great gas mileage (relatively, I got 27mpg going 75mph in my 08).

Quoted from RobT:

That's mostly because of gearing.

Gears that are only useful when combined with sufficient torque at low rpms but then again plenty of trucks have those things going for them. The real key is teeny tiny drag coefficient ... Cracked me up when I flew back home and saw these monsters parked on either side of me at the airport.

30mpg @ 75 is easy in a small car, though I did lose a couple mpg's when we put the Twins in a few years ago. 20130729_182432-1.jpg20130729_182432-1.jpg

#146 10 years ago

I've posted this before but in case you did not see it:

My '74 Super Beetle in front of the now gone Bally Pinball Division plant in Bensenville, Illinois. Photo taken in October, 1979 which was less than two months after the plant opened.

Link to a pinball news article: http://www.pinballnews.com/news/nib2.html

1979_Bally_Bensenville_plant.jpg1979_Bally_Bensenville_plant.jpg

PurpleTophat; that's a Monza cast quad tipped exhaust. The exhaust outlet area of the body had to be cut away to make it fit. It sounded good.

#147 10 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I've posted this before but in case you did not see it:
    My '74 Super Beetle in front of the now gone Bally Pinball Division plant in Bensenville, Illinois. Photo taken in October, 1979 which was less than two months after the plant opened.
    Link to a pinball news article: http://www.pinballnews.com/news/nib2.html

PurpleTophat; that's a Monza cast quad tipped exhaust. The exhaust outlet area of the body had to be cut away to make it fit. It sounded good.

that's a great picture Bally! So much history

#148 10 years ago

I had a Boxster a long time ago - was a great car for the money. I absolutely loved the perfect traction control that would allow you to do just about anything in that car without killing yourself. I've been slowly trading up ever since. After doing one of the Supercar Experience things, I really got the bug... Here is my last (Gallardo) and current (V12 Vantage). These are a bit more dangerous to drive.

IMG_0630.JPGIMG_0630.JPG photo.JPGphoto.JPG

#149 10 years ago

That Gallardo is nice man...How do you like the vantage? I talked my friend into buying an DB9 and we were both disappointed there was no brakes on that car, the dash was a sea of buttons. He still has it but curses me for pushing him into every chance he gets.

#150 10 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

That Gallardo is nice man...How do you like the vantage? I talked my friend into buying an DB9 and we were both disappointed there was no brakes on that car, the dash was a sea of buttons. He still has it but curses me for pushing him into every chance he gets.

Love it - mine is a true standard transmission with carbon ceramic brakes, so I don't have any stopping problems. The Gallardo was a harsher ride but was literally stuck to the road with all wheel drive. The Aston is more like a modern muscle car in that the ass gets silly anytime you press on the gas. Despite this, it is still easier to drive in the city. More buttons than I'd like, but there really isn't any need to touch 90%+ of them. Ideally, I'd have a garage full of these things for different moods, but I need more $$$.

There are 162 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-i-sold-a-few-pins-and-bought-a-porsche/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.