(Topic ID: 58745)

So I sold a few pins and bought a Porsche..

By RawleyD

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 162 posts
  • 79 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Bigdaddy1000
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“I am of the opinion that..”

• Boxsters are badass! 34 votes
      14%
    • Boxsters are for girls! 112 votes
      46%
    • Boxsters are for one of your midlife crises. 50 votes
      21%
    • Boxsters are lame (because I've never ridden in one) 12 votes
      5%
    • sandwich 55 votes
      23%

(Multiple choice - 242 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 34 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

James-dean-porsche.jpg
    photo.JPG
    IMG_0630.JPG
    1979_Bally_Bensenville_plant.jpg
    20130729_182432-1.jpg
    G35-5.jpg
    8-9-13_009.JPG
    Bug.jpg
    DSC_8104.JPG
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    tumblr_mkjk4hb8Cb1rke1amo1_500.gif
    photo02.JPG
    photo.JPG
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

There are 162 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 6 years ago

God Bless this hobby.
    This car will put your ass in the seat, holy shiite.

006.JPG 004.JPG

#2 6 years ago

NICE!!!!

What pins did you have to sell to get that sweet ride?

#3 6 years ago

sample Indiana Jones, Barracora, Earthshaker, Doctor Who.

I actually fit in 1/2 of an XMen Magneto in there too with my brother.

#4 6 years ago

I voted sandwich

Which is why I can't fit into one

#5 6 years ago

You're gonna have to replace that trunk script, the lower part of the B got snapped off by a car wash guy I'm guessing. Congrats though, use it in good health.

#6 6 years ago

Nice car!!! Nice choice as well. Dark grey 911 is my dream car. Dark grey Boxster is my interim dream car. But truth is, I wouldn't enjoy it or use it 5% as much as a pinball arcade, and neither would my friends...

But check this story out...

I was gonna buy a Porsche Boxster last summer, and instead of checking out a car I wanted on CL, I went to a pin expo, and the rest is history -- I built an arcade instead.

I made my decision based on several points:

1) friends will enjoy pinball machines more
    2) I would only drive the Porsche occasionally on weekends (when it's sunny out!) -- terrified of door dings parking it in the city...
    3) cars depreciate like crazy
    4) pinball machines appreciate

Arcade > Porsche.

Of course, my ideal is to have both, but I don't think that would have happened... Porsches are sooo expensive to maintain. I would have set aside a nest egg to just be ready for the first shop visit, leaving me little for a first pinball machine.

A porsche? Someday... someday... enjoy that thing for me!

For now, I'll stick with the arcade...
    =)
    -mof

#7 6 years ago

Me likes.

Toys are the best.

Have fun with her!

#8 6 years ago

Sorry to say this, but boxsters are made for women, a souped up more powerful Miata.
    You can pick up the older ones for cheap now, just over 10 grand.
    Who scratched the front bumper??

I sold my 87 911 Carrera Targa, over 10 years ago.
    I wouldn't mind picking up a used Cayman, very sharp and priced reasonably enough.

enjoy, at least you can always trade up in the future if you ever feel the need.

and Yes, a Miata was also my first new car I bought in the early 90's..... lesson learned.

have fun
    Scott
    Detroit Pinball

#9 6 years ago

Only addiction where this could happen.......

#10 6 years ago

Cool , I Really like German cars . looks like you also still have a nice pin collection left .

#12 6 years ago

I would not say that a Porsche is expensive to maintain, at all.
    Certain parts were expensive if needed to be replaced, and my 911 held 12 quarts of oil, so oil changes were not cheap.
    But I would not say it was overall expensive to own by any means.

I put on 50,000 miles over 6 years I owned it and replaced my targa top as my only major expense, and sold it for $2,500 less than what I originally paid for it. Not too many cars out there, even used, will depreciate so little.

Start by finding a good European Mechanic that has experience working on your car, I would try to avoid Porsche dealerships, unless its warranty work.

Scott
    Detroit Pinball

#13 6 years ago

Nice, congratulations! I love my Porsche (2011 Cayenne Turbo), best car I've ever owned by far

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from detroit_pinball:

Certain parts were expensive if needed to be replaced, and my 911 held 12 quarts of oil, so oil changes were not cheap.

Yeah oil changes are not cheap, my last one was around $300.

#15 6 years ago

Sorry to say this, but boxsters are made for women, a souped up more powerful Miata.

If it was designed for women it would look better and perform worse than it does. It's designed for the enthusiast who doesn't want a Porsche with a 30/70 distribution.

#16 6 years ago

Y

This comment usually comes from guys who don't have a clue about the car. The Boxster has won more awards than the 911 since it came out. I have a design package "S" and compared to my previous Porsche (996), It handles better and has just as much pep..I actually like it better.

#17 6 years ago

I prefer pinball machines over cars. Of course I've owned more cars than pinball machines.
    I'm over it!

#18 6 years ago

Enjoy you new Boxster S,looks like a lot of fun in the sun

#19 6 years ago

i voted Boxsters are lame (because I've never ridden in one)
    I'm 44 years old and i too am dreaming of a porsche, but money's not there
    Congratulations!!

#20 6 years ago

What year? A used Boxster will be my next car as well!

#21 6 years ago

Very nice ride its probably more fun than pinball anyway

#22 6 years ago

congrats - i bought a 1959 356d last year and love driving it. i collect antigue cars and muscle cars, but i also love driving the little 2 seater. i wish i had more power in my 59 - but it goes right along. cars and pinball - two great hobbies. thanks ed

#23 6 years ago

I would not say that a Porsche is expensive to maintain, at all.
    But I would not say it was overall expensive to own by any means.
    I put on 50,000 miles over 6 years I owned it and replaced my targa top as my only major expense, and sold it for $2,500 less than what I originally paid for it. Not too many cars out there, even used, will depreciate so little.
    Start by finding a good European Mechanic that has experience working on your car, I would try to avoid Porsche dealerships, unless its warranty work.
    Scott
    Detroit Pinball

Why ignore dealerships?

#24 6 years ago

Congrats!
    Couple thoughts:
    1/ Are you gonna get a vanity plate? Pinbox?
    2/ U may get more chicks per gallon if u say: "Wanna ride in my Porsche to see my pin collection?"

#25 6 years ago

#26 6 years ago

Boxters are like the JM of cars. Fun, good value, shitty theme.

#27 6 years ago

Man this is a tough crowd! RawleyD, congrats again and enjoy your new ride

#28 6 years ago

Congrats Rawley! I've had my boxster for years and its a blast. Ignore the naysayers as few will drive anything that handles as well as yours.

#29 6 years ago

I've thought about doing this, but I would have to buy four pins that I would want to actually sell, which is where the problem always holds me back.

I have always wanted a Porsche though.

#30 6 years ago

Congrats! I really like the color too. Way too many silver/black/white cars out there these days. I was looking at a similar Boxster when I got my Z4, but with the steering wheel not tilting and me being 5'10", it didn't fit right. (So if, as you guys the Boxsters are "made for women," then they are apparently made for short ones.) I have had more issues with my Z4 than any sane person would want to, but they are small little things caused by the car being too smart/sensitive and having a ton of features. I now treat it like a racehorse... beautiful and fast, but very delicate. So definitely make a small car savings account for awhile just in case, and hopefully when the Boxster is just fine you can use the money for another pin.

#31 6 years ago

Porsche ....... There is no substitute.

#32 6 years ago

Very nice! Congrats.

You know what they say about Boxters though, right?

Boxters are for guys who can't afford 911's.

I kid, I kid. that is one sweet ride.

#33 6 years ago

Thanks for the comments. The car is beautiful, fast as hell, agile.. better than I ever imagined it would be. Our soutwestern VA hills and valleys are incredible in this car.
    I have been reading up on Porsche Boxsters for 3 months, exclusively the 986 Boxsters around 2000-2001. My dad and I will be doing all the maintenance. lots of $$$ saved there.

Ended up buying this awesome 2000 S model. 3.2liter Flat 6, boxer engine. only 9k$ cash. 131k miles.
    Runs amazing and has a small oil leak to take care of, the inner headlight lenses are burned, one wheel has curb rash that might not pass inspection, back up lights are flaky, rear emblem chipped off, wheels won't pass inspection either.

But hot damn I am in love with this car!
    Plates are coming soon - SPR JKPT

#34 6 years ago

Lame ... Sale out!

#35 6 years ago

good looking car

#36 6 years ago

Congrats Rawley!

I actually went the opposite direction. I sold my Porsche Spyder and used some of the money to purchase some nicer pins, including a restored AFM, and to pay to have my MB restored. My Porsche was pretty much used only on weekends, whereas I can play my pins every day.

I do miss her though! Top down driving in a Porsche...hard to beat!

#37 6 years ago

You can pick up the older ones for cheap now, just over 10 grand.
    Who scratched the front bumper??
    I sold my 87 911 Carrera Targa, over 10 years ago.
    I wouldn't mind picking up a used Cayman, very sharp and priced reasonably enough.
    enjoy, at least you can always trade up in the future if you ever feel the need.
    and Yes, a Miata was also my first new car I bought in the early 90's..... lesson learned.
    have fun
    Scott
    Detroit Pinball

This Boxster looks like you're riding in a rare, exotic German roadster from years past.

Riding in a Miata looks like you're riding in a lady's shoe.

#38 6 years ago

BTW I kept my daily driver, Subaru Legacy awd, 156k miles, bought brand new in 2002.

#39 6 years ago

Three years ago I sold my CC which paid for half of the Nissan 350Z we bought. Same yellow color and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Storing it six months a year makes it that much sweeter when it's taken out for the first time in the spring.

#40 6 years ago

What games did u sell

#41 6 years ago

No love for a 911

#42 6 years ago

I did the same thing, sold off some pins for a 72 vette. Don't regret it for a minute. Some of those classic cars make pinball inflation seem mild, some of them have gone up 5 to 10x in the past 10 years. By the same token, some are surprisingly affordable. You can buy a lot of old nice cars for $5k to $10k.

#43 6 years ago

Funny, I'd actually like to do the opposite, sell my 93 968 for some pins, maybe an even swap for a MM. If anyone is serious, let me know, I am...

20130705_095349.jpg 20130705_100019.jpg

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Funny, I'd actually like to do the opposite, sell my 93 968 for some pins, maybe an even swap for a MM. If anyone is serious, let me know, I am...

Where in jersey are you? Not sure about the car but i'm moving to central jersey in a week. Trying to find some more local pinheads.

#45 6 years ago

"It's a Porsche!" "Sir, it's a Boxster."

#46 6 years ago

Pinchroma - come south... where in central NJ?

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from fusion301:

Pinchroma - come south... where in central NJ?

South end of manalapan. Literally one side of the street is millstone the other side manalapan. I'm on the manalapan side

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from RawleyD:

BTW I kept my daily driver, Subaru Legacy awd, 156k miles, bought brand new in 2002.

Cool, I had a S2000 very nice convert but just too raw for a daily driver. I sold the S2000 for a M3. I miss the convertible and more lightweight aspect and the Boxster S is a great car, would love to have one some day. I also have a Legacy which I drive in the winter time.

#49 6 years ago

I'd love to get a Cayman S.

Bought a Scion FR-S last year partially from selling pins from my collection.

It is never winter driven and in some ways similar to the Boxster . Both have horizontally opposed boxer engines, low centres of gravity, etc.

In hindsight might have gone for a used Cayman S but never very serious perhaps if maintenance could have broken the bank.
    I do hunt down routed machines which I hadn't done much previous to going below 7/8 good machines.
    Enjoy the car! Believe me, pinball is kinda like organized crime, difficult to get out once you've fully involved.

PS- If you're in VA you have the right car to drive the Tail of the Dragon.

#50 6 years ago

I did the opposite.. Traded a '78 Datsun 280z for a IJ; straight trade. Such a smart move on my part.. Pinball def a better hobby for me and what I like than keeping a old car running (and passing smog)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 139.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 59.99
    Hardware
    Chroma Pinball
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 39.50
    $ 38.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 89.99
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    DevilsMuse Arcade
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 1,000.00
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 49.95
    $ 10.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 24.50
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 269.00
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 55.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    There are 162 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside