(Topic ID: 52654)

So I Played AC/DC for 1 hour today and...

By markmon

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1024px-Luke_whining.jpg
image111.jpg
WP_20130603_001.jpg
DSC08952.JPG
image.jpg
There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 10 years ago

In my opinion, I think AC/DC reinvigorated pinball excitement for a lot of people, at least the ones I've seen deciding to put quarters back in after years of abstinence.

Balls jumping and not going where they are supposed to? Pinball's a random game and random things happen.

I've only played the pro. I don't play in tourneys. I'm not a collector. I would never consider myself in the pinball elite. To me, AC/DC is everything pinball was meant to be.

You can find something you don't like about a lot of pins especially if you take yourself extremely seriously.

#102 10 years ago

1024px-Luke_whining.jpg1024px-Luke_whining.jpg

#103 10 years ago

Bingo machines are random, not pinball machines. You chose to hit the ball at the post where it hit and then drained SDTM. Although, if you hit a drop target and it gets caught up and then drains that is lame because you hit the correct shot and it drained.

#104 10 years ago

Some of the best pinball machines of all time have 'random' elements. The discs in WW, the bumpers in TZ, the magnets in TAF..

I'm surprised people are complaining that the ball drains... it's actually got the longest ball times in my small collection per audits.

#105 10 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Although, if you hit a drop target and it gets caught up and then drains that is lame because you hit the correct shot and it drained.

You've never seen a sucker shot in Pinball before???

#106 10 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Some of the best pinball machines of all time have 'random' elements. The discs in WW,

The disc in Fireball. Some balls the flipper never even meets the ball.

#107 10 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Bingo machines are random, not pinball machines. You chose to hit the ball at the post where it hit and then drained SDTM. Although, if you hit a drop target and it gets caught up and then drains that is lame because you hit the correct shot and it drained.

Pinball is full of randomness. And some shots are specifically designed to be risk/reward shots. You might want to hit a shot, but you need to be willing to deal with a certain level of loss of control. In TZ, if you want to hit the skill shot, you can, but you need to accept the danger of going into the pops before it ever touches your flippers.

In AC/DC, I see the lightning bolts as a high risk shot, but that's good. I'd save it until I was getting close to finishing up all the songs, and there's going to be some REALLY high tension play while you try to safely hit those shots when it finally comes time. Handling the random moments in pinball is ultimately what separates the good players from the great players.

#108 10 years ago

Well since it's loved by so many, you shouldn't have much trouble selling it.
I've had a love/hate relationship with mine and considered selling it from time to time but as of this moment, I like my AC/DC Premium more than any other pin out there that I've played, bar none.
One thing that I did do was replace the outer lane posts with star posts (the top posts, not the lower ones).
Many might suggest that's making it too easy but I still find it a tough game and haven't seen wizard mode yet. (Close, but not quite)

Good luck with sale Markmon!

#109 10 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You've never seen a sucker shot in Pinball before???

Yup!!!

ToM trunk shot is brutal...

#110 10 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

In AC/DC, I see the lightning bolts as a high risk shot, but that's good. I'd save it until I was getting close to finishing up all the songs, and there's going to be some REALLY high tension play while you try to safely hit those shots when it finally comes time

A nice safe way to hit the 'bolts is to hold on left flipper, and wait for the light to cycle to the left ramp, left target. That one is easy to glance off of without risking SDTM by making an orbit-like shot.

#111 10 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Pinball machines have lots of sucker shots. Like TZ and the greed targets. They are there to screw you over. If you want to shoot for them, go ahead, but the chance of it going right down the middle is high. Big risk...big reward. That's what pinball is all about. Who the hell wants to make every shot feed right back to the flippers? That sucks. PIsses me off enough that Stern doesn't have the balls to put the pops out in the open to give some randomness. They throw them in this confined bumper pit that can't go anywhere. Bullshit! That's not what pops are for. It's to screw with you and throw randomness in there. Like slings. The ball is always wild. control is limited. You want control. Go pay super mario brothers.

#112 10 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

It's a little ironic that you accuse me of a Williams bias when the pin I've rated highest is actually a Stern.

Oh I don't know. Maybe because all of your games are either Bally or Williams. Also all of the games on your wish list are Bally or Williams. With the exception of LOTR for which you have it rated number two.

No DEs, no Capcoms, no Segas, no Gottliebs and no Sterns, well one Stern. Maybe I'm wrong but it certainly looks like you have a Bally/Williams bias. Not that that's a bad thing

Pappy

#113 10 years ago

B/W snobs are nothing new. Now we have the new stern snobs as well. It's the way it's always been. All B/W titles with a couple of new sterns thrown in, to try and think outside the box. Tho, it's not, since new sterns play like B/W games anyway.

#114 10 years ago

I wouldn't say Markmon is whining, he is just a realist. Something a lot of AC/DC owners should try to be about such a mediocre game with a great ruleset.

#115 10 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Just a square on the gate to sap most of the momentum. Sorry about pic quality.

Thanks for the pic. I thought that's what you meant just needed a visual. That's one thing that gets on my nerves, the ball ricochet back into the jukebox over and over.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

16,500 (Firm)
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 29.95
$ 29.95
$ 12.95
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rapid City, SD
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-i-played-acdc-for-1-hour-today-and/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.