Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 97 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Tribonian
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider who-dey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Dude, my work schedule allows me to turn my machines on like once a month. no way do I have the time to go be a juror, let alone get strung along like I may be one, just to get cut. I work 2 weeks of the month on the road, and the other two downtown 40 miles from my house. Id gladly pay the $100 to get out of it. Shit, my work might even pay more than that to get me excused.

You can't just pay $100 dollars and get out if jury duty. It's your Civic duty to show up like it or not and you WILL find the time or face the consequences, your choice. To the OP, if you are smart you will be getting in contact with them and try and explain what happened.

#21 6 years ago

I threw away a summons in 2003, Ill throw them all away. Who are you to tell me what to do? You dont even understand net neutrality, lol.. BYE

Im not trying to tell you what to do but the law is going to tell you what you're going to do if you keep avoiding your Civic duties. This is a battle that you can't and won't win I promise you. Just keep doing what you do though, sounds like you know what you're doing.

#22 6 years ago

Its selfish to have to work to provide for my family over missing work and wages to get paid pennies to sit in a court room?

Yes it is because it's your civic duty as an American citizen.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

No, I'm saying it's selfish to live in a society but to refuse to take part in your civic duty to help maintain it.

People don't care about things like that anymore Dirk, that's why this country is in the shape that it's in. We are living in the "it's all about me and F the police, nobody can tell me what to do" generation now. People think they can just do whatever the hell they want to these days without consequences.

#30 6 years ago

I pay $1000 in property taxes a month. They can take part of that and a $100 fine (which I think is fair to get out of jury duty) and pay some one else to do it. I dont see why it has to be ME. There are a ton of other people out there who have a lot of time on their hands. I have none.

It has to be you because you were the one SELECTED!! Are you F'ing kidding me dude?? Jesus man.......WOW is all I can say. Smfh!!

#34 6 years ago

I would not. I would lose a lot of money.

Why is it not fair to pay a fine to get NOT selected? Dumb.

It might be dumb to you but it's the damn law dude and you have to obey the laws if you want to live in this country. I am seriously blown away by your comments.

#38 6 years ago

I'm not perfect and I try my best not to break laws. If I get called for jury duty I am going to go whether I want to or not because it's my Civic duty to do so and I am trying to be a good citizen.

#40 6 years ago

cold please.

Thats a fair argument. If money and time wasnt an issue, being on a jury sounds fun otherwise. Its not that I dont WANT to do it, its that my life and schedule does not allow it.

Your life and schedule WILL allow it or you will go to jail.

#44 6 years ago

Let me lay some facts on you from Illinois.
Must my employer pay me while I'm on jury service?
No. An employer is NOT required by law to pay employees who are on jury service but many employers do. You should check with your company's human resources department before serving to see if your company pays your salary for days you are a juror. If you DO receive your salary while on jury service, you should ask what your employer requires as proof that you served as a juror.
Will I be paid for jury service, and if so, how much?
Yes, you are paid for jury service. You will receive $17.20 for each day that you serve.
What happens if I don't show up for jury service?
Failure to appear for jury service when summoned is a serious matter. You may be held in contempt of court which could result in a fine or other court imposed penalty. It is in your best interest to appear if you are summoned to avoid any further action.
So, my employer doesnt have to pay me. Thats a lot of money to lose, which could even put me into debt. Just to be on a jury. Great.
$17.20 a day isnt enough for gas, and parking. So, really? I have to go out of my own pocket to do this now?
"Fine or other court imposed penalty"...I think I like this option better

Yep all of that sucks I agree, but it's still your civic duty. I can't help you with that problem, I just know that you have to go if selected. All you can do is plead your case to the judge and hope that he understands. He does not have to let you out of jury duty though if he doesn't want to.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

lol... go research and find the total amount of people that have been taken in for ignoring jury duty... Unless you go and mouth off to the judge, nobody is getting hauled off to jail (a system already clogged with non-violet offenders)

Just got to take your chances I guess. I'm not that much of a gambler personally and going when called is the right thing to do anyway.

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm of the opinion that if you are self employed, and you aren't compensated in any way for missing work, then you shouldn't be forced to go to jury duty. If I were to miss a month of work, it would be devastating to my family's finances. There are plenty of people out there that not only have the time, but would welcome the opportunity to be on a jury.
That being said, I would never just blow off jury duty. I've been called to serve many times over the years, and I've gone every time. It's easy enough to not get picked. You don't even have to lie. There are plenty of things you can say to the lawyers when they are questioning you that will pretty much guarantee you will be excused.

It’s just up to the judge. His opinion is the only one that counts. Everybody can come up with some kind of an excuse if they want to. I wouldn’t get picked anyway because I’m not politically correct enough.

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I already feel sorry for the person who will be on trial if I ever get called for jury duty. I have a short attention span and if anyone talks for more than 10 minutes, I start to drift off and can't pay attention. I can't stand jury room TV shows or movies, and they even try to make them entertaining.

Lol no doubt, same here.

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

This is the problem with jury duty.
You give a bunch of grief to people avoiding it because it's "their duty" but you pretty much admit you'd be shitty at it.
It's a lot like voting, it's everyone's duty but if you don't know anything it's probably better not to.

First off I was joking and I wouldn’t be shitty at it and 2nd, people in this country don’t have to vote. I’m glad that most people don’t vote actually.

#73 6 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

It's not convenient for anybody. What makes you so special that you shouldn't have to follow the same laws as the rest of us? If you don't like it, move to a different country. In the mean time, I'm sure you enjoy all of the benefits of living in the United States of America.

Yep you nailed it Dooskie! Well said buddy! He doesn't care though just like most other people in this country don't care. Thats why we are where we are these days.

#84 6 years ago

Dont care. I pay (a lot) of taxes. That should be enough.

My point is, there should just be a fee/penalty to get out of it. My work life is 80 hrs a week 2 weeks of the month. I dont have time for it. There are PLENTY of unemployed, old, and bored people who could fill these spots. Maybe they should prioritize those people first.

This world does not revolve around YOU, and you are no better or more important than anyone else. Thats why they aren't prioritizing anyone. As much as you'd like to think you are special, you're not sorry.

#86 6 years ago

And look at all the downvotes you receive from people on here when you are right and stating the facts. What the hell is wrong with some of you guys for real? Unbelievable!!

#89 6 years ago

OK, then the government can pay me my salary to miss work. How the hell do yall think some one could keep a family and life going if theyre stuck on a trial? Please...enlighten me. This just seems like a bunch of bloated patriotism/chest beating. You arent really considering the loss of wages here.

I have a savings, sounds like you may need one also. Most jury trials don't last very long so it's unlikely that you have to worry about being very financially burdened anyway. You need to ask the judge that question also and not me. The Judge is the only one who matters. The other Jurors are being financially burdened also probably so it's not just you.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider who-dey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-i-missed-jury-duty-what-to-do?tu=who-dey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.