Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 97 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Tribonian
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I'm not perfect and I try my best not to break laws. If I get called for jury duty I am going to go whether I want to or not because it's my Civic duty to do so and I am trying to be a good citizen.

I'm of the opinion that if you are self employed, and you aren't compensated in any way for missing work, then you shouldn't be forced to go to jury duty. If I were to miss a month of work, it would be devastating to my family's finances. There are plenty of people out there that not only have the time, but would welcome the opportunity to be on a jury.

That being said, I would never just blow off jury duty. I've been called to serve many times over the years, and I've gone every time. It's easy enough to not get picked. You don't even have to lie. There are plenty of things you can say to the lawyers when they are questioning you that will pretty much guarantee you will be excused.

#52 6 years ago

I also have a funny story. I'm in NYC, a melting pot of jurors. When all of us were assembled in the main room, the Judge also asked if anyone had any reason they couldn't serve. A few approached, but all were denied. He then is if there was anyone in the room that couldn't understand English.

A large group of Chinese people got up and approached the judge, who then said "Obviously you can understand English because you all came up here. Now go back to your seats" The whole room laughed.

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from Matesamo:

It is very tough to get excused from jury duty, self-employed and busy or not.

Please..... you just have to know what to say. I've been selected twice, got excused both times.

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm of the opinion that if you are self employed, and you aren't compensated in any way for missing work, then you shouldn't be forced to go to jury duty. If I were to miss a month of work, it would be devastating to my family's finances. There are plenty of people out there that not only have the time, but would welcome the opportunity to be on a jury.
That being said, I would never just blow off jury duty. I've been called to serve many times over the years, and I've gone every time. It's easy enough to not get picked. You don't even have to lie. There are plenty of things you can say to the lawyers when they are questioning you that will pretty much guarantee you will be excused.

It’s just up to the judge. His opinion is the only one that counts. Everybody can come up with some kind of an excuse if they want to. I wouldn’t get picked anyway because I’m not politically correct enough.

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Please..... you just have to know what to say. I've been selected twice, got excused both times.

All you have to say to get dismissed 'Jury Nullification'.

#57 6 years ago

I’ve been tossing my jury summons every year for the last 25 years. Never been an issue. I’m not going to jail over not responding to non-certified mail. Yeah, I am shirking my civic duty. When I retire, I’ll unshirk and make up for it.

#58 6 years ago

I was called for jury duty 7-8 years ago.
Showed up, waited around for hours, everyone grumbling, until a huge group of us were finally called in.
Random guy was being charged with DUI, and some other offenses, walks out with his lawyer, does a half wave to the crowd. Judge then asked the court "is there anyone that has any objection to proceeding?"
I was the only one to raise my hand.
Judge calls me up to the front, the lawyers follow.
He asks me "what is your objection?"
I said I don't like drunk drivers and he looks guilty to me"

He excused me from the court. I've never been called back.

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah I've been dying to get on a jury, I would get paid for my job anyway, but never been selected.

I have been selected 4 times for jury duty, while alot of people I know have never had to do it once. In one year they got me twice once for county then for federal, I get paid also but have no interest in jury duty.

#60 6 years ago

I had booked a cruise for the following week and told the judge that it was to late to get a refund. He dismissed me and told me to have a great vacation. They are human, you just need to talk to them.

#61 6 years ago

I got called in for jury duty this past summer. Sounds like the process is almost identical in Canada.

Then we found out it was a murder trial and you can see all the air sucked out of the room since everyone knew this could take a long time.

I run my own business and can't be away, so I was going to make that argument. Fortunately they formed the jury before I got called up. So I was dismissed and that was the end of it.

To be honest, I'm game for sitting on a jury later in life. Since I did my civic duty and showed up when called on, apparently I won't get called on again for 3 years. I may be out of my business by then so I won't have a legitimate reason not to and am curious to do it.

#62 6 years ago

I already feel sorry for the person who will be on trial if I ever get called for jury duty. I have a short attention span and if anyone talks for more than 10 minutes, I start to drift off and can't pay attention. I can't stand jury room TV shows or movies, and they even try to make them entertaining.

#63 6 years ago

I also felt that it was important for me to do it.

If everyone shirks who is left?

Some one who is not my peer. That was the way I looked at it.

If I ever need a jury who will be on it. I wondered?

I hoped that, would never happen. But if it did. I want some quality jurors. I hope I don't need it.

Not pointing fingers. Especially when you don't get paid.

I was going to get paid I worked for grainger. They paid me, full pay.

I went. Finally. Like I said I dodged it until that option ran out...

Sometimes court seems like it might be a fun place to work. Not to report to...

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I already feel sorry for the person who will be on trial if I ever get called for jury duty. I have a short attention span and if anyone talks for more than 10 minutes, I start to drift off and can't pay attention. I can't stand jury room TV shows or movies, and they even try to make them entertaining.

Lol no doubt, same here.

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Lol no doubt, same here.

This is the problem with jury duty.
You give a bunch of grief to people avoiding it because it's "their duty" but you pretty much admit you'd be shitty at it.
It's a lot like voting, it's everyone's duty but if you don't know anything it's probably better not to.

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

This is the problem with jury duty.
You give a bunch of grief to people avoiding it because it's "their duty" but you pretty much admit you'd be shitty at it.
It's a lot like voting, it's everyone's duty but if you don't know anything it's probably better not to.

First off I was joking and I wouldn’t be shitty at it and 2nd, people in this country don’t have to vote. I’m glad that most people don’t vote actually.

#67 6 years ago

The one time I went it was for a speeding ticket. When the judge asked if there was any reason we felt we cold not be impartial I raised my hand and said that I thought traffic tickets were a waste of police time and a money grab. He looked at me like I just took a dump in front of him and said I could leave. I have never had a summons from that court again.

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

The one time I went it was for a speeding ticket. When the judge asked if there was any reason we felt we cold not be impartial I raised my hand and said that I thought traffic tickets were a waste of police time and a money grab. He looked at me like I just took a dump in front of him and said I could leave. I have never had a summons from that court again.

A jury summons for a speeding ticket?

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

Man whom knows what the hell goes on in Texas

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

In some jurisdictions you are entitled to a jury of your peers for speeding tickets and related crimes... should a trial actually happen. Depends on the jurisdiction and the maximum punishment.

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

I threw away a summons in 2003, Ill throw them all away. Who are you to tell me what to do? You dont even understand net neutrality, lol.. BYE

Probably a good chance you won't get selected as Citizen of the Year any time soon.

#72 6 years ago

Its selfish to have to work to provide for my family over missing work and wages to get paid pennies to sit in a court room?

It's not convenient for anybody. What makes you so special that you shouldn't have to follow the same laws as the rest of us? If you don't like it, move to a different country. In the mean time, I'm sure you enjoy all of the benefits of living in the United States of America.

#73 6 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

It's not convenient for anybody. What makes you so special that you shouldn't have to follow the same laws as the rest of us? If you don't like it, move to a different country. In the mean time, I'm sure you enjoy all of the benefits of living in the United States of America.

Yep you nailed it Dooskie! Well said buddy! He doesn't care though just like most other people in this country don't care. Thats why we are where we are these days.

#74 6 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

Probably a good chance you won't get selected as Citizen of the Year any time soon.

Dont care. I pay (a lot) of taxes. That should be enough.

Quoted from Dooskie:

My point is, there should just be a fee/penalty to get out of it. My work life is 80 hrs a week 2 weeks of the month. I dont have time for it. There are PLENTY of unemployed, old, and bored people who could fill these spots. Maybe they should prioritize those people first.

#75 6 years ago

Dont care. I pay my (a lot) of taxes. That should be enough.

My point is, there should just be a fee/penalty to get out of it. My work life is 80 hrs a week 2 weeks of the month. I dont have time for it. There PLENTY of unemployed, old, and bored people who could fill these spots. Maybe they should prioritize those people first.

I pay my taxes too. And if I'm needed for jury duty, I'm more than happy to oblige, no matter how inconvenient it might be for me. I signed up for it and agreed to it by living in this great country of ours.

Just think. If you were a victim and were involved in a jury trial, and nobody honored their civic duty, what position would that leave you in? I'd really like to know what you would do?

#76 6 years ago

What an antiquated concept:

12 specifically selected morons with nothing better to do than be a part of their favorite 'Unsolved Mysteries' episode, manipulated by unscrupulous arbitrators on all sides.

Bring back: Trial by Combat.

#77 6 years ago

“There PLENTY of unemployed, old, and bored people who could fill these spots”

Not the type of jury I’d want if ever needed

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

I pay my taxes too. And if I'm needed for jury duty, I'm more than happy to oblige, no matter how inconvenient it might be for me. I signed up for it and agreed to it by living in this great country of ours.
Just think. If you were a victim and were involved in a jury trial, and nobody honored their civic duty, what position would that leave you in? I'd really like to know what you would do?

"Agreed to live" I was born here. Id prefer it was Canada, but getting up there is a big deal, they dont just take any one....

Quoted from PinRob:<blockquote cite="#4125928"
There PLENTY of unemployed, old, and bored people who could fill these spots. Maybe they should prioritize those people first.
Not the type of jury I’d want if ever needed

So youd rather have a bunch of angry people who dont want to be there?

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from guyincognito:

What an antiquated concept:
12 specifically selected morons with nothing better to do than be a part of their favorite 'Unsolved Mysteries' episode, manipulated by unscrupulous arbitrators on all sides.
Bring back: Trial by Combat.

So if the system is so antiquated, what should the system be? If you're going to be critical of it, at least offer up a (serious) solution.

#80 6 years ago

"Agreed to live" I was born here. Id prefer it was Canada, but getting up there is a big deal, they dont just take any one....

You might have a tough time living in Canada if you don't agree with their legal system either.

#81 6 years ago

You took my quote, changed it, and also quoted it out of context. I believe that is against Pinside rules. Do ANY rules apply to you?

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

You took my quote, changed it, and also quoted it out of context. I believe that is against Pinside rules. Do ANY rules apply to you?

I didnt quote anything. I made my own quote...lol. Some one is reaching.

#83 6 years ago

So youd rather have a bunch of angry people who dont want to be there?

I’d rather everyone do their civic duty for our great country and stop being such A-holes

#84 6 years ago

Dont care. I pay (a lot) of taxes. That should be enough.

My point is, there should just be a fee/penalty to get out of it. My work life is 80 hrs a week 2 weeks of the month. I dont have time for it. There are PLENTY of unemployed, old, and bored people who could fill these spots. Maybe they should prioritize those people first.

This world does not revolve around YOU, and you are no better or more important than anyone else. Thats why they aren't prioritizing anyone. As much as you'd like to think you are special, you're not sorry.

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

I’d rather everyone do their civic duty for our great country and stop being such A-holes

Quoted from Who-Dey:

This world does not revolve around YOU, and you are no better or more important than anyone else. Thats why they aren't prioritizing anyone. As much as you'd like to think you are special, you're not sorry.

OK, then the government can pay me my salary to miss work. How the hell do yall think some one could keep a family and life going if theyre stuck on a trial? Please...enlighten me. This just seems like a bunch of bloated patriotism/chest beating. You arent really considering the loss of wages here.

#86 6 years ago

And look at all the downvotes you receive from people on here when you are right and stating the facts. What the hell is wrong with some of you guys for real? Unbelievable!!

#87 6 years ago

Let's settle down guys. You've all stated your opinions. Please drop it.

#88 6 years ago

OK, then the government can pay me my salary to miss work. How the hell do yall think some one could keep a family and life going if theyre stuck on a trial? Please...enlighten me. This just seems like a bunch of bloated patriotism/chest beating. You arent really considering the loss of wages here.

The system seems to have worked just fine for the past 200 years, and people have been figuring out how to make their lives work within that system for just as long. Come up with a better system. Let's hear it from you.

#89 6 years ago

I have a savings, sounds like you may need one also. Most jury trials don't last very long so it's unlikely that you have to worry about being very financially burdened anyway. You need to ask the judge that question also and not me. The Judge is the only one who matters. The other Jurors are being financially burdened also probably so it's not just you.

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I have a savings, sounds like you may need one also. Most jury trials don't last very long so it's unlikely that you have to worry about being very financially burdened anyway. You need to ask the judge that question also and not me. The Judge is the only one who matters. The other Jurors are being financially burdened also probably so it's not just you.

Let me just blow through my savings to be on a jury....lol you are thick my man.

Just lock this thread. The op got his answer. This thread has run its course.

#91 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

And look at all the downvotes you receive from people on here when you are right and stating the facts. What the hell is wrong with some of you guys for real? Unbelievable!!

In my nearly two years here on Pinside, I think I've left a grand total of one downvote. People just get too upset when they receive them. I don't need to let the entire forum know that I might disagree with someone's opinion by an up or down vote. I'd rather engage in a discussion so that I can further understand their position.

#92 6 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

So if the system is so antiquated, what should the system be? If you're going to be critical of it, at least offer up a (serious) solution.

Why not schedule your next surgery with an amateur surgeon?

If given the chance, I'd want my fate decided by professionals, not biased idiots who had nothing better to do that day/week/month.

#93 6 years ago
Quoted from guyincognito:

Why not schedule your next surgery with an amateur surgeon?
If given the chance, I'd want my fate decided by professionals, not biased idiots who had nothing better to do that day/week/month.

So let's hear your solution.

#94 6 years ago

Trial by Your Mom.

#96 6 years ago

I received a notice that I was a candidate for the next quarter and the card claimed I had 10 days to respond. Totally forgot about and finally did it a month later. Wasn’t sent certified so good luck proving receiving it. Not only that it was just a postcard that could have easily been mistaken as junk mail.

If called for an interview I’ll go and claim I can’t be impartial and I’m sure won’t be selected. I don’t have the time nor desire do deal with inefficiency of the Justice system.

#97 6 years ago

I was impaneled in a federal civil trial in my early 20s. Several bad lawyers were defendants who were represented by very good counsel. Plaintiff bank had a very strong case and very nervous counsel. Judge was locally esteemed and the 6 days of trial before the parties were fascinating.

Decided I should leave my dead end retail job and go to law school.

As someone who has to participate in jury selection as an officer of the court, many thanks to those of you who do your civic duty. For those of you who don’t, I recommend showing up. It’s easy to avoid getting tossed for cause.

My goal is usually to see if I can get someone to burn a peremptory on me.

There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-i-missed-jury-duty-what-to-do/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.