Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Whysnow
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

gadget (resized).JPG
    IMG_6678 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2406 (resized).JPG
    TCSH bp.jpg
    #1 5 years ago

...And that was to get another game out by the end of 2019. After two Heighway projects where I lost creative control and had the least amount of reward from, I wanted to take a step back, approach something less intricate but more fun, that I could inject more of my creative personality into as well as my worldbuilding experience in writing comics. There may be one or two other potential options, but if this ends up being my offering for the year it's going to fall into the homebrew / small studio category; a game made primarily for me, and if it happens to catch on and prove popular at a show or two, that's just a bonus.

I have a theme, I have a platform, and I have a layout that's close to ready to go in CAD form from which a whitewood will be built, that will be single-level but if the project pans out, offer one or two potential new styles of play that I don't think have really been explored before. No other details yet until (if) I get the artist I want on board, and have something more visually complete that I can show as a 'pitch'.

#2 5 years ago

Topic added to my favorites! I wish you the best and can't wait to see your game.

#4 5 years ago

I've been paid to write mostly comedic dialogue a number of times over the years, including some for mobile games. If that fits in at all with the direction you're looking to take the project, I'd be interested in speaking with you.

#5 5 years ago

Cool, looking forward to following along.

#6 5 years ago

following, love a homebrew and once we see a design or build start I will add it to the homebrew index

#7 5 years ago

Remember on Whysnow's 'let's design a new classic Bally/Stern' thread I pretty much stated flat out, "what makes you think somebody isn't doing this already". A little surprised nobody got the hint - and I played along in that thread because what the hell, it was a fun crowd-pleasing exercise - but yes, this is why I said that. Here is the whitewood design; old-school style with more modern play. Four shots plus an upper left side entry, two drop target banks, seven standups with a looping captive ball in the middle, and two-ball and three-ball multiballs can be started (and stacked) with the two ejects at the left and the top. Planned rules complexity will be around Fish Tales level or so; more score- than mode-based, build-up objectives are important, a good number of background things to do with a degree of player strategy, and a skill shot where you manually plunge the ball as close to the top gate as you can without going through. Spinners are placed in nice enticing long shots, two shots go to the top while two come back for caroms off the opposite flipper, so there's a good amount of flow and plenty of bumper action.

TCSH bp.jpgTCSH bp.jpg

#8 5 years ago

Looks good, I like the saucer shot on the left.

1 week later
    #9 5 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

Be nice if that shot was to a VUK then to wire form feeding to the left flipper aka; Dr Dude, one of my all time favourite shots in pinball as it sets you up for a great second shot at something. nice clunk then feed!

#10 5 years ago

following! I love your work!

#11 5 years ago

I love how one dorp bank sends the ball into the pops, the other sends the ball into left-right motion.

Captive ball on the left for 2-ball multiball?

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from oldskool1969:

Be nice if that shot was to a VUK then to wire form feeding to the left flipper aka; Dr Dude, one of my all time favourite shots in pinball as it sets you up for a great second shot at something. nice clunk then feed!

This game will test and train your ability with carom flips. That's intentional. *cough*singlelevelbudget*cough*

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

I love how one dorp bank sends the ball into the pops, the other sends the ball into left-right motion.
    Captive ball on the left for 2-ball multiball?

The captive ball in the middle rests against the standup brackets in front. The ball doesn't have far to go, so impacts to the targets should be sufficient to knock it from side to side. It also ensures that the captive ball can be its own feature while fifty percent of the shots to it aren't dead ones.

#14 5 years ago

Sorry, I meant the scoop on the left shot, not the captive ball.

Also: Dorp Bank.
    lol

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Sorry, I meant the scoop on the left shot, not the captive ball.
    Also: Dorp Bank.
    lol

There will be separate two-ball and three-ball multiballs using the ejects on the left and the top (the additional ball is then shot into play to start), but the two can also be stacked if the locks are qualified and achieved the right way. Qualify the three-ball locks, lock the first ball at the left; qualify the two-ball lock, lock the second ball at the top; shoot the third into play. It's a manual plunge for the skill shot, so you can deliberately plunge the ball short and not enter the top eject before you're ready. The risk tradeoff is that if you lock the first ball and drain before locking the second, the ball in the left is ejected so the next player can't steal it or have it block his shots. Your locks will stay qualified to get again on your next ball but you will also lose the stack, as locking the first ball and shooting the second will start the two-ball.

#16 5 years ago

This is very awesome! Keep it up. I used to make resolutions then never follow through on them. This year I decided my resolution is to gain 5 pounds, something I can achieve.

Seriously what a fantastic project, I will be following.

1 month later
    #18 5 years ago

Well, here's a turn-up; there will be a game finished this year, just not the one I've had planned next, probably. But I haven't broken my resolution - rather I've been recruited as part of a contract project, helping a group out with designing a prototype for another company outside of pinball, working to their brief. No idea how far this game might go, details are also classified about who and what it's for. It does have a lot of stand-ups on it though - seventeen, in assorted groups and clusters - and some devices that'll be my first time employing on an actual physical playfield. So far, I've been quite happy with the layout and have given them pretty much everything they've asked for.

So my own game is on the back burner for a bit, but hasn't been forgotten about; I'll still be working on it as a sideline when I have time.

#19 5 years ago

Sounds exciting. Best of luck!

#20 5 years ago

17 targets! Need some target faces?

Opaque Black and Blue coming soon.

IMG_2406 (resized).JPGIMG_2406 (resized).JPGIMG_6678 (resized).JPGIMG_6678 (resized).JPG
    #21 5 years ago

Eala, good luck with this new project

Quoted from solarvalue:

yep ! and just for fun, i've made this a long time ago :

gadget (resized).JPGgadget (resized).JPG

#22 5 years ago

just found this thread!

Looking forward to what comes!

(also, I got the hint)

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-i-made-my-new-year-s-resolution?hl=flashdaddy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.