(Topic ID: 307958)

So I'm gonna say it...new people getting into the hobby...has some downsides!

By DakotaMike

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 233 posts
  • 119 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by phil-lee
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20220114-195642-851 (resized).png
    Asset_Get-Off-My-Lawn-300x200 (resized).png
    57B84FC2-62F8-450E-9DFB-3C873644B964 (resized).jpeg
    33BCF39A-750D-4F84-AD54-0424B3116961 (resized).jpeg
    Russell Crowe Koala.jpg
    Screenshot_20220113-111715-926 (resized).png
    a0e5b5f396f550d38ae790f73771ecf123fa0a0e.gif
    Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11.33.38_AM (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220114_004726 (resized).jpg
    D6EEB3C9-E877-4DAF-B474-4FE1A9488438 (resized).jpeg
    BDF48AF6-C78F-47B9-90B0-5A0154C5F078 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20220113_233226 (resized).jpg
    CF2CABD2-87FE-4332-B7A8-16E7FBC3D259.gif
    PinballNoobs.gif
    newpople (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#100 2 years ago
    Quoted from Luk3:

I read something about Jersey Jack... Supposedly he serviced pinballs but there was one manufacturer (Stern) who was slow as hell to release pinballs so he had less and less work until he made his own pinball company.

Where did you read this? It’s absolutely false.

Jack’s business was selling games to home collectors. Stern tried to increase sales to operators & get more location players by making games simpler to service & understand, with short ball times & less deep rules. Iron Man, Tron, Big Buck, Avatar & Rolling Stones came from this era. Jack’s customers didn’t buy these games - they wanted full featured & deep games. So, he decided to start JJP to make a product that his customers wanted, but didn’t exist.

#221 2 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

Okay, but it takes months or sometimes years for code to get finished. So for sure the coders could keep working during an extended delay. I mean GZ is still only .85 and it came out in Sep. Granted it's a great .85, but still. So obviously, the coders could use the time. I acknowledge that keeping pf designers busy wouldn't be quite so simple. But they could easily keep knocking out whitewoods if they really had to.
    Plus, look at JJP. Eric and Pat go like 3 years between games. They must be doing something everyday. And you're telling me that John, Keith, Jack, and Brian can't busy themselves for 6 months? No way, I don't buy it.

Well, you figured it all out. Please go tell George to GTFO, you're gonna take over the factory with your scary awesome ideas. It's too bad they haven't figured out the whole "manufacturing a niche product that shouldn't even exist anymore" thing! Good thing you're here to save them!

#224 2 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

Thanks rarehero, but you really give me too much credit. I'm not telling Stern how to run their manufacturing operation at all, I'm just questioning why they don't pause new title releases for a little while. And I don't think it's because they'd be forced to furlough all their developers, because that makes no sense to me.
    Do you have a take?

If it made sense to do so, they would have done it. It doesn't make sense, so they haven't.

They have a development schedule, a marketing schedule, and a manufacturing schedule. Doing your thing causes all 3 things to get behind. Doing it Stern's way puts 1 of those things behind.

It doesn't make sense to blow their contracts, blow marketing/hype momentum, and stop their creative team from moving ahead on new projects. Yes, they're behind on old orders...but clearly they've run the numbers and even though a few people might cancel, it's a small amount compared to the next 1000 LEs they can sell.

#232 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Rarehero you might know this, does the clock start ticking on their licenses once the contracts are signed? Or is it when games are first shipped? I’ve always wondered if this is a reason there’s so much overlap with their releases.

I’m really not sure. My guess is the contract has a projected release date and it’s based on that. Dutch had to renegotiate the TBL license after they botched everything and went past the end of the contract without fulfilling all purchases. They still haven’t. Not sure how Universal let them keep the license…but that’s what contracts & lawyers are for.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-i-m-gonna-say-itnew-people-getting-into-the-hobby-is-bad?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.