(Topic ID: 307958)

So I'm gonna say it...new people getting into the hobby...has some downsides!

By DakotaMike

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 233 posts
  • 119 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by phil-lee
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20220114-195642-851 (resized).png
    Asset_Get-Off-My-Lawn-300x200 (resized).png
    57B84FC2-62F8-450E-9DFB-3C873644B964 (resized).jpeg
    33BCF39A-750D-4F84-AD54-0424B3116961 (resized).jpeg
    Russell Crowe Koala.jpg
    Screenshot_20220113-111715-926 (resized).png
    a0e5b5f396f550d38ae790f73771ecf123fa0a0e.gif
    Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11.33.38_AM (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220114_004726 (resized).jpg
    D6EEB3C9-E877-4DAF-B474-4FE1A9488438 (resized).jpeg
    BDF48AF6-C78F-47B9-90B0-5A0154C5F078 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20220113_233226 (resized).jpg
    CF2CABD2-87FE-4332-B7A8-16E7FBC3D259.gif
    PinballNoobs.gif
    newpople (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider radium.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#65 2 years ago

I hate men because they take all the women.

I hate salsa because they cause people to buy all the chips.

I hate koalas cuz they eat all the eucalyptus leaves and I might want some of those.

#74 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballcorpse:

The problem is not the new people, it's finding new games.

This hasn’t been going on long though. Maybe it’s only a short term thing, but if it’s not someone will fill the demand as long as there is money to be made. Maybe stern maybe someone new. Several others have already tried, they just sucked.

#98 2 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

Wow, I forgot how much Pinside is like Twitter these days. Some of you are getting very personal, and some you are doing a lot of projecting! So let me clarify a few things, so that no one can misunderstand.
    1) I'm happy that the hobby is growing, and I hope it continues to grow. I have no desire to "return to the good ole days of the 90s" nor for things to return to the pricing and supply of the early 2000s.
    2) My main point is that from a supply and demand perspective, the rapid growth we've had in the last 18 months isn't really very healthy. The demand for new and old pins is way, way up, but the supply is not. So prices have gone through the roof, and I don't know how anyone can say that's a good thing. I don't know how anyone can look at the LE-flipping, the sharktank feeding-frenzy that takes place every time a new pin is released, and the massive prices some people are willing to pay for what amount to mediocre games, and say that it's a positive development.
    3) I'm not taking any of this very seriously at all, and I'm NOT mad! I'm actually generally a pretty happy and easy-going guy. I'm also not "locking my games away". We've got a decent little pinball co-op here in Sioux Falls, called The Pinball Room. We route games mainly so that the public can get a chance to play them, we help each other out, and we host leagues and tournaments. In the last year, I've put an AFMr, an Oktoberfest, a Beatles, a Paragon, a Twilight Zone, and a Stern Spiderman out on location for play. I try to mainly focus on slightly more obscure games that people don't often see on location, or just games that are really in demand and hard to find.
    4) I don't want to push anyone out or away from this hobby, and I want everyone to feel welcome. Whether you've been owning pins for 6 days, 6 weeks, or 6 months, I'm happy to meet you and I'm glad that you're here.
    5) I've all ready addressed the fact that I myself am pretty new to owning games, compared to many of you, but let me address it again. I have fixed dozens of pinball machines for people with no ability to do so themselves. Many more machines are now being played and enjoyed because of me. Also, I've dug up and found several totally dead pinball machines. These weren't projects listed for sale, but just broken games that had been sitting for years. I did the detective work, bought them, cleaned them up, got them working, and put them back out on the market. So from a net-supply perspective, I have ADDED games to the pinball supply pool. Not decreased it. And so if a new pinball buyer does the same, then they are a clear benefit to the hobby, and to the pinball supply.
    6) I fully recognize all the benefits that new blood brings to the hobby. I listed several of them in my OP. And I don't want the new blood to go away. I would just like the supply and demand to balance out a bit more. And that can't happen with the exponential growth we're seeing in new pinball buyers.

a0e5b5f396f550d38ae790f73771ecf123fa0a0e.gifa0e5b5f396f550d38ae790f73771ecf123fa0a0e.gif
    #162 2 years ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:Not for me. Been buying, selling, collecting, trading, fixing since 1982. I’m entering retirement. I still have 8 machines (52 at my height). Through all of my years there have been a few bitchy constants:
    Prices keep going up
    Flippers are ruining the hobby
    Operators don’t care
    Location games suck
    I have learned that throughout my life that 90% of the people could care less about objectives, flipper strength, or if key features of a game work. They put their coin in and flip.
    We are the weird and we are willing to pay. In my mind, it’s a great thing that each year there are more and more of us weird people. Prices go up, but so is supply. If demand continues to increase, more manufacturers will emerge - give it time. It’s a great time for pinball. Just ask those of us that were part of the video and them late ‘90’s downturn. We talked about how close we were to pinball’s death. That’s no longer the case.
    Long live pinball and all of the players, operators, arcade owners, collectors, flippers, and price speculators. The hobby we love has been dealt the death blow several times, but here we are. We are larger and stronger than ever - and growing.

Good points.

We have a Godzilla at the office on free play. Me and one other guy plays the hell out of it, everyone else just goes right past it to put their shitty bagel in the toaster oven and post about cats on Facebook.

Those of us posting here are pinball extremists. God bless us every one.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider radium.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-i-m-gonna-say-itnew-people-getting-into-the-hobby-is-bad?tu=radium and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.