(Topic ID: 278199)

Pop Art Pinball with Homemade Mechs

By TheSupremePapaya

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20221109_180355896~2 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20220324_144534482~2 (resized).jpg
    CobraPin_relayJumperSmall (resized).jpeg
    FDBI5NMJRGOMX7V (resized).jpg
    PXL_20211026_031324076 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20211025_024650499 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20211025_023142897 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20211025_023745341 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20211009_195456467 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210924_170013209 (resized).jpg
    Motor1 (resized).jpg
    Solenoid2 (resized).jpg
    Solenoid1 (resized).jpg
    BoxJoints (resized).jpg
    FinishedFrames (resized).jpg
    Unbenannt (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stefanmader.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#43 2 years ago

you are not using a CobraPin are you?

for a CobraPin
    i asked cobra18t about this: see attached picture

so as i understand it when you get a Power Entry Board (for example from multimorphic) or a cobrapin, that will do the job for grounding etc.
    i don't have any knowledge of other opp boards though.

Unbenannt (resized).pngUnbenannt (resized).png
    #44 2 years ago

have you seen this:
    https://docs.missionpinball.org/en/latest/hardware/opp/leds.html

you should be able to specify the subtype "gi" and declare one number for the one channel.
    https://docs.missionpinball.org/en/latest/mechs/lights/gis.html

#45 2 years ago

here is a current build with a discussion about the LEDs
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/phoenix-is-rising-with-a-cobrapin-pinball-controller

i have ordered some "christmas lights - serial leds" myself, but have not tried it yet.

4 weeks later
    #59 2 years ago

Looks great! 12volt for coils sounds very weak, but i have no experience with that. I used 48 volt, and i know that there are 25 volt pinball. So i am very interested how that turns out!

#65 2 years ago

Oh i see now you don't have regular pinball coils, now i understand why you have that kind of volts. Ben heck made a mini pinball once and the coils worked great, but of course with a smaller ball. Your ball is regular size right?

3 weeks later
    #71 2 years ago

i was unclear about that too. so i asked cobra18t about this:

my question:
    on the wiring diagram on pinball makers, it shows that the high voltage powersupply (and the 5Volt powersupply) is connected with 2 wires which carry the current and 2 ground.
    why is that, is it necessary, or just a possibility? what is the recomended way to do that?

cobras answer:
    The duplicated pins are for higher current capability and lower resistance. Each pin is rated for 7A, but I support fuses up to 10A. If you plan on installing fuses above 7A, I would use the duplicate pins.

4 weeks later
    #77 2 years ago

This is awesome! Love your project! And it is so cool, that you make all the mechs yourself. That is impressive. Flips very nice! Keep the videos coming

3 weeks later
    #89 2 years ago

1. I am not sure but i think when a ball drops out from a physical lock unexpectedly, it is missing and not a ball in play. I think you would have to start a defined multiball first. That could work: start a defined multiball when the lock switch gets inactive.
    i had a lot of trouble with a physical lock before.
    when nudging the locked ball would sometimes leave the switch for just to long, and mpf said it was an unexpected ball and then i had the same problems you described.

2.Maybe you could set to mechanical eject and use coil_player and decide in code which coil should eject.

#90 2 years ago
    Quoted from stefanmader:

1. I am not sure but i think when a ball drops out from a physical lock unexpectedly, it is missing and not a ball in play. I think you would have to start a defined multiball first. That could work: start a multiball when the lock switch is inactive.
    i had a lot of trouble with a physical lock before.
    when nudging the locked ball would sometimes leave the switch for just to long, and mpf said it was an unexpected ball and then i had the same problems you described.
    2.Maybe you could set to mechanical eject and use coil_player and decide in code which coil should eject.

#92 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheSupremePapaya:

I thought that might work too, but mpf tells me that mechanically ejected devices cannot have more than one switch (mine has 5). I suppose I could split it up into multiple ball devices.

yes that makes sense

1 month later
    #95 2 years ago

I saw this on the MPF Users Google group,
    "The built in connections only allow control from the 1-0-1 coil output or control from the processor board USB receiving power. If you want two separate programmatically controlled relays, you have to wire another pin from the coil outputs."
    It seems like 1-0-1 can control only one of the relays?
    So I tried to desolder one of the pairs and... I wrecked it. Ruined the pads on one of them.
    I'm just going to settle for one direction of rotation, directly from the coil outputs.
    (Sad Trombone)

sounds bad..
    are you driving a motor with the relay output?

#97 2 years ago

Ah okay, haha yes different problems are always better!

3 months later
    #99 1 year ago

Finally back. Solved my ball count problem and fixed a few playfield issues that had been bothering me. Multiball mode is working! Rules need more testing, but I mostly like them so far.
    Here is the current ruleset, with another picture of the playfield for reference;
    [quoted image]
    At the top are the BLAM lanes. Completing the lanes increases the blast award score (10, 25, 50, 100). Below those is the kick out "Oomph" hole increases the multiplier for the blast award (2x, 3x,5x).
    The blast award is earned at the start of multiball. Balls are locked under the bomb. Once a ball is locked a fuse timer starts The multiball begins when 3 balls are locked or the fuse timer runs out. Time is added to the fuse by locking another ball or hitting the spinner on the left.
    The spinner also cycles the target for sabotage. During multiball, shooting a ball into the oomph hole will sabotage the targeted player, possibly yourself. Currently set to -10% of the player's score, requires a lot of testing to find that nice balance of fairness and cruelty.
    Blast award is (# of locked balls x BLAM score x oomph multiplier) for a current maximum of 1500.
    Down and right from the kickout is the captive ball. Targets adds +1 to all targets and lanes (most are 1 or 2 points, so a potential +3 increase is noticable but I wonder if it should be more.)
    Lighting the captive ball targets and the midfield stand up targets adds to the jackpot in multiball. During multiball each formerly lit stand up turns flashing. A flashing target awards a mini jackpot.
    Mini jackpot is (5 x # of lit stand up targets at multiball start x # of balls in play) for a maximum of 105
    Jackpot is achieved by clearing all of flashing stand-ups. It is (mini jackpot value x # of lit stand up targets at multiball start) for a maximum of 735.
    The "fizzle" drop targets are the safety net. Clearing the bank provides you with percentage (25% ,50%,75%) on drain of what would have been your blast award and your jackpot.
    Hitting the pop bumper awards the joke "Pop" Art bonus on drain. It's the bumper score (including the captive ball increase) x the # of times the bumper has been hit in the player's ball/game.
    Clearing the lower "phew" lanes restarts ball save.
    Thoughts and critiques? I was thinking about adding a second multiball and/or a mini wizard mode.

The rules sound awesome!
    that looks so nice!

6 months later
    #103 1 year ago

Looks awesome! That is really a unique machine!

#104 1 year ago

I am not good at animating . On my treehouse club, the kids in the tree house are image sequences, and also the squirrel on my back monitor. It is easy to do and i have tried out video, that also is very easy to do. I prefered images over video because i wanted it all to fit in with the background. The squirrel images are pngs with transparent background etc.. I don't know how much is possible with video in that matter, but i quess the normal usage is that you play a fullscreen video anyway.

4 weeks later
    #106 1 year ago

Yes had such an issue when i wanted to install the latest mpf version some time back.

so since then this is my mpf configuration that works.

- install Python 3.6 as administrator
    with "Add Path.." and Pip

- open commandline Tools as administrator

pip install pip setuptools --upgrade --user

//uninstall if necessary

pip3 uninstall apigpio-mpf asciimatics certifi chardet docutils ffpyplayer future grpcio grpcio-tools idna importlib-metadata irc jaraco.classes jaraco.collections jaraco.functools jaraco.logging jaraco.stream jaraco.text Kivy kivy-deps.angle kivy-deps.glew kivy-deps.glew-dev kivy-deps.gstreamer kivy-deps.gstreamer-dev kivy-deps.sdl2 kivy-deps.sdl2-dev Kivy-Garden more-itertools mpf mpf-mc mpf-monitor Pillow prompt-toolkit protobuf psutil pyfiglet Pygments pypiwin32 PyQt5 pyserial pyserial-asyncio python-osc pytz pyusb pywin32 requests ruamel.yaml six smbus2 smbus2-asyncio sortedcontainers tempora terminaltables typing typing-extensionsu urllib3 wcwidth zipp

pip install mpf==0.54.3
    pip install mpf-mc==0.54.0
    pip install mpf-monitor==0.54.1
    pip install PyQt5
    pip3 install mpf-language-server

---------------------------------------------
    //with the command pip-list it shows the following versions:

asciimatics 1.11.0
    certifi 2019.11.28
    chardet 3.0.4
    docutils 0.15.2
    ffpyplayer 4.3.1
    future 0.18.2
    grpcio 1.31.0
    grpcio-tools 1.31.0
    idna 2.8
    Kivy 1.11.1
    kivy-deps.glew 0.1.12
    kivy-deps.glew-dev 0.1.12
    kivy-deps.gstreamer 0.1.18
    kivy-deps.gstreamer-dev 0.1.18
    kivy-deps.sdl2 0.1.23
    kivy-deps.sdl2-dev 0.1.23
    Kivy-Garden 0.1.4
    mpf 0.54.3
    mpf-mc 0.54.0
    mpf-monitor 0.54.1
    Pillow 6.2.1
    pip 21.2.4
    prompt-toolkit 3.0.8
    protobuf 3.13.0
    psutil 5.7.0
    pyfiglet 0.8.post1
    Pygments 2.3.1
    pypiwin32 223
    PyQt5 5.15.2
    PyQt5-sip 12.8.1
    pyserial 3.4
    pyserial-asyncio 0.4
    pywin32 227
    requests 2.22.0
    ruamel.yaml 0.15.100
    setuptools 58.1.0
    six 1.15.0
    sortedcontainers 2.1.0
    terminaltables 3.1.0
    typing 3.7.4.1
    urllib3 1.25.7
    wcwidth 0.1.7

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stefanmader.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-i-guess-i-m-making-a-homebrew-need-advice?tu=stefanmader and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.