Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 341 posts
  • 147 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    Road Rage (resized).jpg
    20180630_071337 (resized).png
    giphy.gif
    20190404_230020 (resized).png
    20190404_180829 (resized).jpg
    3a65885acb08a13287adcf30b15b5b94d99a8196 (resized).jpg
    hqdefault (resized).jpg
    126A6746-65CC-484F-945D-F12AF6AEF360 (resized).jpeg
    8E1C1E26-7566-4A4E-88DF-0AA068AD03E3 (resized).jpeg
    254657638789489458934782376 (resized).PNG
    IMG_3364 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3365 (resized).JPG
    srt8 (resized).jpg
    Buford T.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-16-13-08-60 (resized).png
    There are 341 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
    #1 5 years ago

Just looking for some advice or maybe someone that had a worse encounter.

Anyway my story. I drive alot and hadn't had a speeding ticket in about 7 years. I was driving to TN for a couple of jobs and was clocked going 100 in a 70 in Turner County Georgia.

I do speed, but normally set cruise control at 79 and go. I deal with left lane drivers often, but this was a casde of having someone speed change for 15 miles and I was trying to pass. They sped up (alot) I was determined to get by.

Anyway, I didnt think I was going 100, but I dont dispute it. I countacted the county and they offered me a reduced plea of 90/70 and pay the fine of $1134.00. If I decide to fight it in court they say I will pay the full 100/70 fine which I have no idea what it is?

Georgia also has a super speeder (additional $200) that is not part of fine and will be tacked on after the fact.

I was advised to call Ticket Clinic and get an attorney, but this seems like it is a county that prosecutes really, really hard and the Ticket Clinic lawyer is the prosecuter in that county. It seems there are no attorneys that work in that county becuase of how seriously they prosecute the cases.

I would man up and pay fine, but it really seems like some redneck county BS that is nowhere in line with the norm.

#2 5 years ago

Wow! That sucks. I had to hire a lawyer for a traffic incident a couple years ago where I could have possibly lost my license. Luckily my lawyer handled everything and got my ticket dismissed, but I had over $1000 legal bill. I hope you can find someone to represent you, but as I experienced the lawyer may cost as much as the ticket fines. May be better to just pay the fine and never drive through there again

#3 5 years ago

Did the cop look and sound like Buford T. Justice? Seriously, that fine seems way over the top. Should you have gotten a ticket for doing 100 in a 70? Probably. But there’s a huge difference in touching a high speed to pass than there is staying at that speed for miles and miles, I think.

#4 5 years ago

I got an atty awhile back, it sucks but sometimes it is necessary. I'd invest in a valentine one radar detector, best one out there and well worth the investment.

#5 5 years ago

That's a ridiculously high fine. I know the feeling when someone is slow then when you try to pass they just speed up to piss you off.
    Can't let them get to you though, or this kind of thing can happen. Anyway I do think that high a fine is bs, but 20 over when it's already 70 mph zone isn't good and if you were really 30 over... But still, that fine is like wow wtf. Thanks for the heads up if I ever drive through GA!!! Might try not lawyering up but just go in and plead your case that you haven't had a ticket in a long time and ask for a reduction on the fine...

#6 5 years ago

Do the crime do the time. Unless you are part of the show Empire and have extremely high profile political friends, I'd say just pay the ticket and move on.

#7 5 years ago

I have a V1, but it was at Valentine getting serviced. It's my second actually (1st was stolen)

#8 5 years ago

WOW - Georgia has changed.

When I was in college, I was driving through Atlanta in middle of the night and had a number of bad things add up. I thought I was going 10 over (typical for me), but hadn't noticed the speed limit had changed plus was driving the car of a friends brother (who was in the car). Didn't know he had changed tire types and didn't have the speedo re-calibrated. Long story short, I was going 24 over. Cop had me go back in the car and sit down but the way he said things I thought I was going to be arrested for reckless driving.

Well, he ends up waving me back after about 10 minutes and just hands me a ticket... for FIFTY BUCKS! I happily just paid the fine (didn't realize the insurance hit I would take but that's another story).

Dang...
    Jaz

#9 5 years ago

Thanks for putting everyone else's life in danger. Doing 100 on the interstate should have gotten you arrested.

#10 5 years ago

Turner Co (resized).jpgTurner Co (resized).jpg

#11 5 years ago

My experience is a lot of times you get a very high fine or double offense knowing that a plea bargain will still ding you, meaning you'll get one of the charges or a reduced, still high fine. They are expecting you to plea bargain even in this case still a high fine. I'd take that if I were you. Here in Mass you'd have to pay to get a court date anyway and if the policeman shows up and you put the system through the drama, you'll get the highest charge. IMHO.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from swenny:

Thanks for putting everyone else's life in danger. Doing 100 on the interstate should have gotten you arrested.

I don't disagree that driving 100 is dangerous, but the guy driving illegally in the left lane changing speeds from 65-90 or so anyone and not letting other drivers trying to pass on the right side more dangerous. I see it all the time, people texting mostly and trying to keep traffic behind them.

Anyway, not something I normally do and the reason it's my first ticket in 7 years at 35k plus miles a year.

FWIW I intend to plead guilty and pay as I feel I have no other choice. It's more the principle of the cost of the fine. Like why not shoot for $5k?

#13 5 years ago

If you have to go to court over this, you might have to pay for parking.

#14 5 years ago

Yea, that area of 75 is a known speed trap. For 10 years or so it was also a construction zone too, adding $ to tickets. I live in ATL and have had a few tix down there on the way to Disney or Daytona. It has been years since I had a ticket, but it was over $500. That was the one that finally got me to slow down.

Super Speeder fines are levied by the state for any ticket over 85 mph on the interstate, or 75 on state or local roads.

At over 100 mph, and 30 over, $1,100 isn't a big surprise.

I don't think an attorney is going to help much. But you need to check to see what your insurance company will end up doing with that type of speed. It may be worthwhile to go and plea so they reduce it to 20 over. May not save your fines, but may save your insurance.

#15 5 years ago

I would just pay it and make a mental note not to do 30 over in Georgia.

Your explanation about the other driver doing 65-90 and not letting you pass on the left will net you zero sympathy from the judge

#16 5 years ago

Your insurance is going up if you just plea guilty. However, an attorney is going to be 500 or more. But then again, your insurance could go up for years to come, until the points drop off. The catch is that you will not know the total cost for years to come. $1100+year1 increase+year 2+year 3+year4...

Depending on the type of insurance and number of vehicles, it could seriously cost you well over 2500. Once you hire the attorney and possibly travel for the court date, you are probably going to be well over 2K in expenses and you could still be found guilty.

Only way I would definitely do this is if your job requires a CDL. You MUST go with an attorney then but if you drive for a living, you would already know that.

#17 5 years ago

Be glad your not in NYS, they'd pull your license.

#18 5 years ago

So describe this ordeal a little better - were you on the expressway? 2 lane blacktop? Where exactly were you that you couldn't get around someone for 15 miles, whether they sped up or not? Were they in a Lamborghini? Because there ain't a car on the road I can't get around if I really want to - that's why God made shoulders......

#19 5 years ago

I think you got what you deserved

#20 5 years ago

Yeah...I'm surprised you didn't lose your license for 30 over. Triple digits is going to get you a big fine no matter how you cut it. Pay it. Not trying to be a jerk, but you earned it.

Just make sure you pay your parking if you go to court.

#21 5 years ago

Almost all of us speed so I empathize (especially if it was a short burst of speed to pass an ass), but put yourself in a traffic court judge's shoes. Imagine you were hearing the case about a dude going 100 who's reason is he was in some kind of rage duel with another driver. Keep in mind this person hears excuses for speeding countless times a day . . . I don't see it going so well.

#22 5 years ago

Pinside: solving everyone’s legal issues since 2019.

#23 5 years ago

In AZ if you’re are traveling 21+ over posted speed limit it makes it a criminal offense. And if you have an out of state driver license it’s mAndatory that you get booked. Paying a fine seems better than spending a night in jail.

#24 5 years ago

Pay

In Switzerland you'd have lost your licence, have a fine well over this one and be facing jail time for such speeding. Traffic laws have gotten stupid over here (look for "via sicura" if curious)

#25 5 years ago

If you have to go to the courthouse, will you have to pay for parking?

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcclad:

Noooo! Don’t poke the Texan bear.

#27 5 years ago

How did you only get a speeding ticket, and not reckless driving, public endangerment and a slew of other things? Did the other driver get a ticket? And I agree, you're lucky you didn't get arrested.

#28 5 years ago

WAZE is your friend - it never lets me down

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcclad:

Even better would be to request a jury trial and then hope that no potential jurors in the backwoods county want to pay for parking and you get a mistrial and get off scot free!

#30 5 years ago

I'd say pay the fine they offered and just accept it. You chose to go that fast when you knew the speed limit, so accept the consequences. You're lucky it's just a fine and not something worse. Some places will suspend your license and tow your car in that situation.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

So describe this ordeal a little better - were you on the expressway? 2 lane blacktop? Where exactly were you that you couldn't get around someone for 15 miles, whether they sped up or not? Were they in a Lamborghini? Because there ain't a car on the road I can't get around if I really want to - that's why God made shoulders......

God made shoulders to support the ole decision maker on top.

#32 5 years ago

A really good attorney could potentially get you off or dramatically reduced, but that kind of lawyer is going to cost a ton more than the ticket, so only reason to do that would be if you were in danger of losing your license. These kind of speed traps are designed to make it as unattractive as possible to fight it, often the judge is just going to rubber stamp it, as these tickets are what are funding the justice system in that county.

#33 5 years ago

Pay the fine and move on. You got off lucky in this case. In MANY other states you would have been arrested for wreckless driving. At 30 mph over and in triple digits? jesus christ man take it easy on the roads...

#34 5 years ago

I still don't know why it is such a hard concept that the left lane is made for passing. If you are in the left lane and someone is going faster than you that is behind you then you move over. Some people feel that it is there right to stay in that lane if they are going the speed limit which I will argue is more dangerous if the flow of traffic is faster.

I am not sure why they even make fast cars anymore - I sold my 911 Turbo because it was ridiculous dealing with people in the left lane or dealing with a PT Cruiser or similar car that suddenly thought it was a race car when I wanted to get around it.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

A really good attorney could potentially get you off or dramatically reduced, but that kind of lawyer is going to cost a ton more than the ticket, so only reason to do that would be if you were in danger of losing your license. These kind of speed traps are designed to make it as unattractive as possible to fight it, often the judge is just going to rubber stamp it, as these tickets are what are funding the justice system in that county.

I always wondered, what would qualify as a good attorney for something so simple as a speeding ticket?

#36 5 years ago

I dont know if they will be of help, but I have heard of glowing results"

https://www.fixedlaw.com/

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #37 5 years ago

The good news is things change.
    Time speeds up for old people, thus they perceive events as happening faster.

In a few short years, you can sit in the left lane at 65MPH, it’ll seem just like 100- no chance of a ticket and crank up the pioneer “Radar love”

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from marksf123:

I still don't know why it is such a hard concept that the left lane is made for passing. If you are in the left lane and someone is going faster than you that is behind you then you move over. Some people feel that it is there right to stay in that lane if they are going the speed limit which I will argue is more dangerous if the flow of traffic is faster.
    I am not sure why they even make fast cars anymore - I sold my 911 Turbo because it was ridiculous dealing with people in the left lane or dealing with a PT Cruiser or similar car that suddenly thought it was a race car when I wanted to get around it.

Well, some feel the left lane is theirs and anyone going slower should get out of their way. Speeder’s rights?

Anyone caught going 100mph should expect a hefty ticket. An arrest plus impound with drivers license suspension and a huge increase in insurance.

#39 5 years ago

You go to court with that and get a tough judge it could be worse. 100 could be considered reckless op. Pay it and walk

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Well, some feel the left lane is theirs and anyone going slower should get out of their way. Speeder’s rights?

I've seen people get tickets for "pushing" people out of the passing lane, meaning come up behind them at a high speed like cruisers do.

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

I always wondered, what would qualify as a good attorney for something so simple as a speeding ticket?

A friend dealt with a situation like this and the attorney he used specialized in this kind of thing, got the cop so twisted up in what happened, various details and what he was saying that he ended up contradicting himself, and got the case dismissed.

Quoted from marksf123:

Everyone once in a while you hear a story of someone being pulled over for holding up traffic by staying in the left lane. Some folks are just totally oblivious when driving and I guess some just like being jerks and think they should dictate the speed everyone drives. Nothing more annoying that being backed up and you can see nothing but open road in the left lane ahead of some moron who insists on driving the same speed as those in the right lane.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from marksf123:

I sold my 911 Turbo because it was ridiculous dealing with people in the left lane or dealing with a PT Cruiser or similar car that suddenly thought it was a race car when I wanted to get around it.

It's amazing how many ricers try to bait me in my Cayman. Like dude, I get it, the wing and stickers make it go faster, leave me alone. I can't compete with that chrome fart pipe.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

FWIW I intend to plead guilty and pay as I feel I have no other choice. It's more the principle of the cost of the fine. Like why not shoot for $5k?

I got your point from the original post ... and yes, $1000+ for a speeding ticket is ludicrous. It's not like they ask the voters what fines should be, it's arbitrary and they'll just keep upping it all over without any checks and balances. Your government hard at work for ya. FOR THE PEOPLE.

Hell, I'm still paying Sin Tax for a stadium that's already built and paid off.. and has been for a decade.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Not really "speeder rights" but more written law....

https://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

I drive alot and hadn't had a speeding ticket in about 7 years

You haven’t been caught in 7 years.
    $1134 div. by 7 =$162/yr.

Sounds like a good deal!

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from swenny:

In many states here in the Northeast on an interstate highway, going 80MPH+ will usually result in state troopers drawing guns on you. I've been on the receiving end of that as a passenger with a trooper buddy of mine who got stopped.
    (they DON'T know where you're coming from, or what you are up TO).

Sometimes the car makes the difference - but bottom line, many cops see that as 'aggressive driving' nowadays and it's hard to beat. (Because, eh, they're correct).

You got stopped in Georgia.
    Go watch Deliverance again.
    You were traveling 100 MPH in a posted 70MPH.

'Here's your sign.'

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from twoplays25c:

In many states here in the Northeast on an interstate highway, going 80MPH+ will usually result in state troopers drawing guns on you. I've been on the receiving end of that as a passenger with a trooper buddy of mine who got stopped.
    (they DON'T know where you're coming from, or what you are up TOO).

Sometimes the car makes the difference - but bottom line, many cops see that as 'aggressive driving' nowadays and it's hard to beat.
    (Because, ah, they're correct).

You got stopped in Georgia.
    Go watch Deliverance again.

You were traveling 100 MPH in a posted 70MPH.
    'Here's your sign.'

#48 5 years ago

You should have just pulled a "Richard Petty" and bumped his ass. If someone is doing 50 in the fast lane in the interstate they deserve a little bump draft that says gtfo.

https://www.greensboro.com/richard-petty-faces-hit-and-run-charge/article_9b367971-70ea-5a5a-97a6-af97a4975884.html

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from plankalkul:

Hell, I'm still paying Sin Tax for a stadium that's already built and paid off.. and has been for a decade.

There are a couple of places where they are still paying for a stadium that has now been replaced by a newer one.

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcclad:

meta AF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are 341 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-i-got-a-1132-speeding-ticket-in-georgia?hl=papakilo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.