Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 341 posts
  • 147 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    Road Rage (resized).jpg
    20180630_071337 (resized).png
    giphy.gif
    20190404_230020 (resized).png
    20190404_180829 (resized).jpg
    3a65885acb08a13287adcf30b15b5b94d99a8196 (resized).jpg
    hqdefault (resized).jpg
    126A6746-65CC-484F-945D-F12AF6AEF360 (resized).jpeg
    8E1C1E26-7566-4A4E-88DF-0AA068AD03E3 (resized).jpeg
    254657638789489458934782376 (resized).PNG
    IMG_3364 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3365 (resized).JPG
    srt8 (resized).jpg
    Buford T.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-16-13-08-60 (resized).png
    There are 341 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.
    #201 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Well i can understand why a guy thinks its ok to drive 105mph also thinks that cops get commission on the tickets that they write. Are you f*cking serious dude, do you honestly believe that cops get commission?
    Its never ok to drive 105mph and theres probably not a cop in this world that would let you go with just a warning. Hard to believe any adult can be that dumb but the world is full of Dummies so nothing surprises me anymore.

"There's not a cop in the world that would let you go with just a warning." Don't know if that's true. If the driver was another cop, he'd stand a chance. Some cops treat the force like a publicly-funded private club.

#202 5 years ago

I might leave in a different country however all caps got the same face. I know this shucks but just pay the fine and move on.

#203 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Never once did I infer or remotely suggest that the money was hidden or being taken for deceptive practices. The budgets for all of the state agencies and source of the revenue are of course publicly available.
    You simply read and inferred far more into the statement of mine you quoted then is there.

Hmmm, maybe.

#204 5 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Speed limits are not just for the other people's safety.

Last I read on this it didn't really pan out this way, but was supposed to be for fuel efficiency reasons, too. Reduce consumption and all that.

Quoted from Toasterdog:

I thank everyone for their feedback. I didn’t expect this to blow up like it did. Keep in my mind my original complaint was what I felt was disproportionate for a plea of 90 in a 70.
    I don’t drive 100 (well I guess I did, but dont)and was surprised when he said I was going that fast, my car accelerates from 85 to 100 in about 1 second if I need to jump in front of a douche bag in the left lane. I decided to do it on my 10 hour journey and got caught. I will pay the fee.
    I realize 100 sounds really bad, so I didn’t expect sympathy. But my driving record also shows I don’t have a history of speeding.
    I could understand arrests for habitual offenders or wreckless driving at speed too.

Good of you to man up about it (but that doesn't mean I'd roll over and just plea guilty). What did George Carlin say? Everyone driving slower than you is an idiot, everyone driving faster is a maniac. Please be careful and realize the minor inconvenience of what others are doing on the road isn't worth it. Take a break at the next exit, get out and stretch, etc.

That said, if I were you, I'd still hire an attorney if possible. They may tell you to simply accept the deal, or they could possibly do better, but my main goal would be to minimize this from having a long-term impact on insurance (no idea if points get reported here, etc.). Don't be surprised if you start getting letters in the mail from various attorneys wanting to represent you.

#205 5 years ago

This sounds like a sting operation. Undercover cop driving slow in the left lane to piss people off. Radios ahead when a person passes on the right and increases their speed to make sure they are speeding. Bamm!! Instant money

#206 5 years ago
    Quoted from MRG:

This sounds like a sting operation. Undercover cop driving slow in the left lane to piss people off. Radios ahead when a person passes on the right and increases their speed to make sure they are speeding. Bamm!! Instant money

I actually thought about that. This driver would speed change from 58-88 to keep driver behind them. It was a dangerous situation, but really more annoying when you try and drive a steady cruise limited speed.

Anyway Turner County, GA will be happy to know my cashier check for $1132.00 went out in the mail today.

#207 5 years ago

100MPH in a 70 zone?

You're lucky you're not in jail or at least having your license suspended.

I'd pay the fine and thank the officer when doing so. Afterwards you should be receiving a notice from your insurance company explaining the increase in your premium. Probably become an "assigned risk".

#208 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

100MPH in a 70 zone?

I'd pay the fine and thank the officer when doing so.

I've already added him to my Christmas card list.

#209 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

The radar/laser gun is required to be calibrated before every shift, with documentation to support it. Also, the officer must possess an FCC license to operate the equipment.

That may be true somewhere, but not in Jersey.

#210 5 years ago

When I was in my 20s, I had 22 points on my license and still HAD a license, probably because none were alcohol related. Speeding, blowing stop signs/lights etc. I was working for Chrysler at the time, and the insurance was more per month than my car payment.

Haven't had a moving violation in prob 15 years though.

#211 5 years ago

I feel for you, man. I have been in this exact situation (also in GA, but on 20). I always set cruise at 79 in a 70 and don't even slow for speed traps, but do hit those idiots that for some reason don't want to go fast, but also can't stand being passed. The mentality is a complete mystery to me, but it is far too common.

Fortunately, I made it around him (always men, I think) at 91 and the cop lowered the ticket to 89. I think it was only $300.

For those crying safety and that you are an awful human being for driving 100 ever, you need to travel more (you didn't even have to leave our country very long ago to legally drive 90)..simple physics mean that going faster provides more energy and more distance required to maneuver, but this is true for any speed increase, or in going from horses to cars for that matter. There is no magical barrier that when you reach 3 digits suddenly you are reckless. By way of example, Volvo - which brands itself on safety- recently announced that they will have speed governors on all cars after 2019. So Volvos limited to 55? 65? 75? No. 112 mph. And this is considered a pretty aggressive statement. I understand that differences in speed to other traffic do matter, but there is nothing inherently reckless in driving a modern car at 100 mph.

#212 5 years ago

If the person you were trying to pass was speeding also, why the need to pass? No sympathy here. Just sayin

#213 5 years ago
    Quoted from yellowghost:

If the person you were trying to pass was speeding also, why the need to pass? No sympathy here. Just sayin

His situation happens all the time. You are cruising at what ever you have your cruise control set at and someone going slower than you is in the passing lane. You give the person some time to move over and they don't. Finally you go to pass in the right lane and the person you are passing decides to speed up so you can't. OP stats the vehicle in the left lane was traveling between 58-88, so that tells you the car they were passing was not speeding until they were being passed.

This is a very frustrating situation and I can see why you sped up to get away from that driver. That being said, regardless of why you are going 100 in a 70, if you get pulled over the ticket is absolutely warranted. I would agree to with just paying it at the plea deal rate and moving on. Bright side is at least you don't have to pay for parking.

#214 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Pinside: solving everyone’s legal issues since 2019.

I own a headshop aka weed pipe store and you would not believe how many people ask us for legal advice!!!! I don't know about you but I'm not taking legal advice from some pothead selling bongs.

#215 5 years ago

I believe there is always a "light in every tunnel" - and yours is this:
    On the way to the courthouse to pay your $1134 fine, you can speed all you want.
    Any cop stopping you will surely let you go...since you're dropping off their money.

#216 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcclad:

If you have to go to court over this, you might have to pay for parking.

I appreciate your cross-thread reference.

#217 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I appreciate your cross-thread reference.

Thank you.

#218 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcclad:

Too bad you were not driving through Hazzard County Georgia. You could have just jumped a dirt ramp over the police car and gotten away.

its not near as impressive without the "Dixie" horn.

#219 5 years ago
    Quoted from DaveKnowsAll:

there is nothing inherently reckless in driving a modern car at 100 mph.

Absolutely i mean what could possibly go wrong if everyone on the interstate was driving 100mph? I see no danger in that at all.

#220 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Absolutely i mean what could possibly go wrong if everyone on the interstate was driving 100mph? I see no danger in that at all.

I think the mentality is that it’s not the drivers who go 100mph that make the roads dangerous, it’s ones driving the speed limit.

#221 5 years ago

Once again I average 35k miles a year for about 16 years now. Over the course of the last few years it's gotten really bad with inconsiderate drivers. Most of the speed changing left lane drivers are drivers that are texting. It's much easier to keep traffic behind you and not contend with someone applying brakes in front of you when you are not looking.

I really don't mind slow left lane drivers as long as they stay slow. It's not ideal, but I can pass safely on the right. As for speed changing left lane drivers. I don't want to go faster and faster to make my pass. Just move out of the left lane.

Keep in mind I'm not driving across town. Most of my drives are at least 2-3 hours in one direction. My $1132 ticket was on a 10 hour trip.

#222 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

If everyone was going 100mph on the highway, paying 100% attention to driving and stopped texting, taking pictures, eating dinner or smoking i think it would be safer than they are right now. Computers doing the driving seems very likely to fix this problem and save lives.

#223 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

You are right, nowhere in the world do people routinely drive at or over 100 MPH on the interstate.

#224 5 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

You are right, nowhere in the world do people routinely drive at or over 100 MPH on the interstate.

But if you get caught going 100mph on a Georgia Interstate, you deserve a ticket!

#225 5 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

You dont live in "the world", you live in the United States of America. We have laws here, follow them or move to Germany.

#226 5 years ago
    Quoted from Beebl:

If everyone was going 100mph on the highway, paying 100% attention to driving and stopped texting, taking pictures, eating dinner or smoking i think it would be safer than they are right now. Computers doing the driving seems very likely to fix this problem and save lives.

You are 100% correct but unfortunately people will always be doing other things while driving. The texting is what pisses me off and i have no doubt that the dumbass that hit me on my motorcycle was texting. I would love to see some very harsh penalties for texting and driving. Its literally a much bigger problem than people drinking and driving right now.

Im also all for computers driving our cars. Its a much safer alternative than the dumbass people we have that are doing the driving thats for sure.

#227 5 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

my car accelerates from 85 to 100 in about 1 second

Curious what type of car do you drive?

#228 5 years ago
    Quoted from jake35:

I got an atty awhile back, it sucks but sometimes it is necessary. I'd invest in a valentine one radar detector, best one out there and well worth the investment.

Forget that crap. Download Waze on your phone get a vent bracket and use that. The crowd-based police and hazard detection is fantastic you get at least a 2/10ths of a mile warning for hidden or visible police. I use it all the time. But you need a usb adapter to keep the phone plugged in, though. Waze uses a lot of power.

#229 5 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

I actually thought about that. This driver would speed change from 58-88 to keep driver behind them. It was a dangerous situation, but really more annoying when you try and drive a steady cruise limited speed.
    Anyway Turner County, GA will be happy to know my cashier check for $1132.00 went out in the mail today.

Do you have a good 4k dashcam? I'd invest in one of the ones that has a 4k camera in the front and a 1080p one for the back window. You can get a nice one for $100-$150. Don't skimp.

#230 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Forget that crap. Download Waze on your phone get a vent bracket and use that. The crowd-based police and hazard detection is fantastic you get at least a 2/10ths of a mile warning for hidden or visible police. I use it all the time. But you need a usb adapter to keep the phone plugged in, though. Waze uses a lot of power.

I find Waze to be less reliable in the US than in Europe, police is more mobile in the US so unless it's a busy highway, it's hard to get updated thus reliable police locations.

#231 5 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

I find Waze to be less reliable in the US than in Europe, police is more mobile in the US so unless it's a busy highway, it's hard to get updated thus reliable police locations.

I mostly use it on I-5 and main highways, and it's been amazing.

#232 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

I mostly use it on I-5 and main highways, and it's been amazing.

I take I-5 often, my technique there is to slow down when I get close to a bridge, they always hide right behind. It's been effective so far, even in night time.

#233 5 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

I take I-5 often, my technique there is to slow down when I get close to a bridge, they always hide right behind. It's been effective so far, even in night time.

I just turn on Waze and stay full speed unless it fires off the warning sound. So, far, so good.

#234 5 years ago
    Quoted from kevmad:

Curious what type of car do you drive?

It doesn't really say "I drive the speed limit."

IMG_3365 (resized).JPGIMG_3365 (resized).JPGIMG_3364 (resized).JPGIMG_3364 (resized).JPG

#235 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

I just turn on Waze and stay full speed unless it fires off the warning sound. So, far, so good.

My brother swears by Waze. I have the app on my phone and will use it for now on.

#236 5 years ago

@toasterdog OP, $1132 really sucks. But...

It seems better than the alternatives...

You kinda "earned it" -- despite any explanations/reasons...

Left-hand slowpokes are definitely a PITA...

Georgia is NOT always peachy...

You're blessed to have the money...

And I'm glad you paid the price, got it behind you, and gave us a great Pinside thread!

#237 5 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

It doesn't really say "I drive the speed limit."
    [quoted image][quoted image]

LMAO, no.... It certainly doesn't . Sweet ride.

#238 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

LOL you can see the gas gauge sinking

You can also see he's still not in top gear!

#239 5 years ago
    Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

You can also see he's still not in top gear!

Kept it in 5th on purpose....

254657638789489458934782376 (resized).PNG254657638789489458934782376 (resized).PNG
    #240 5 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Once again I average 35k miles a year for about 16 years now. Over the course of the last few years it's gotten really bad with inconsiderate drivers. Most of the speed changing left lane drivers are drivers that are texting. It's much easier to keep traffic behind you and not contend with someone applying brakes in front of you when you are not looking.
    I really don't mind slow left lane drivers as long as they stay slow. It's not ideal, but I can pass safely on the right. As for speed changing left lane drivers. I don't want to go faster and faster to make my pass. Just move out of the left lane.
    Keep in mind I'm not driving across town. Most of my drives are at least 2-3 hours in one direction. My $1132 ticket was on a 10 hour trip.

If the left lane is for passing, why would you be passing on the right? That sounds like you have someone slower than you want to be in the right lane in front of you as well. So you are talking about passing on the right then passing the guy in front of you on the left to get back in the non-passing right lane? That's called weaving.

#241 5 years ago
    Quoted from swenny:

Doing 100 on the interstate should have gotten you arrested.

Reckless charge in many states, got lucky with just speeding

#242 5 years ago

My old roommate had my favorite pulled-over-locked-up story outside of Macon, going 95

“Son, nobody goes that fast through the state of Georgia”

“General Sherman did!”

Don’t remember what his fine was but wasn’t THAT pricey. That sucks! I’m not gonna offer legal advice but I sympathize.

#243 5 years ago

I drive 40k miles a year for work too, and average a ticket every couple of years. My recommendation is to call the court clerk and ask if you can talk to the prosecutor directly. It’s rare, but I’ve been able to do that and they will give a reduction after I explain what happened. If you can’t talk to the prosecutor, ask the clerk what local attorney they recommend you hire. Call the local attorney and they should be able to tell you exactly what reduction they can get and what it will cost. I suspect your not going to reduce the cost, but you want to get this off your record as a speeding ticket otherwise your insurance company may come across it.

Good luck.

#244 5 years ago
    Quoted from ezelljon:

My old roommate had my favorite pulled-over-locked-up story outside of Macon, going 95
    “Son, nobody goes that fast through the stats of Georgia”
    “General Sherman did!”
    Don’t remember what his fine was but wasn’t THAT pricey. That sucks! I’m not gonna offer legal advice but I sympathize.

The only speeding ticket I ever got was in the late 1980s doing 120 heading home from skiing in Utah in a 65 dodge dart with a 318 V8. Happened by the bonneville salt flats at a speed trap. I was lucky I didn't cross into Nevada before that happened because at the time if the state didn't touch California it didn't go on your record. That, and the fine was only like $75 in Utah. I would have had an instant suspended license and a big fine in CA, but instead I paid $75 and it was like nothing ever happened.

#245 5 years ago

100 is not a horrible thing imho. It depends where, when, conditions, experience, and equipment. 100 through downtown Chicago, you’re goin to jail and rightfully so. 100 out in the Great Plains just doesn’t matter. 100 in a crappy car is dangerous, in a corvette its nothing because the vehicle is designed for it. 100 on dry pavement out in the middle of nowhere in a car made for it, driven by someone with experience and.....You get the idea.

8E1C1E26-7566-4A4E-88DF-0AA068AD03E3 (resized).jpeg8E1C1E26-7566-4A4E-88DF-0AA068AD03E3 (resized).jpeg
    #246 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

You dont live in "the world", you live in the United States of America. We have laws here, follow them or move to Germany.

Nevermind.

#247 5 years ago

Im not trying to argue Bob, im just saying that you have to have speed limits. Certain people driving certain cars 100mph is probably nothing, but then you have Joe Dumbass that wants to come down I-75 in his old Nova or whatever and kills a bunch of people. There are definitely many variables to consider but the laws have to apply to everyone equally.

Im not trying to be a dick or anything but im older now and realize the dangers. I have done more street racing than 99% of the people on this forum and ive done a lot of stupid shit in cars and on motorcycles. We don't think about the dangers when we are younger but now that im older i look back on the shit that i did and just shake my head and wonder how the hell i survived it.

#248 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

We don't think about the dangers when we are younger but now that im older i look back on the shit that i did and just shake my head and wonder how the hell i survived it.

This is common. I haven't told my kids 80% of the dumb stuff I did as a teen that should have gotten me killed or injured seriously. Don't want them getting any ideas...

#249 5 years ago

License and registration, please.

126A6746-65CC-484F-945D-F12AF6AEF360 (resized).jpeg126A6746-65CC-484F-945D-F12AF6AEF360 (resized).jpeg
    #250 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

This is common. I haven't told my kids 80% of the dumb stuff I did as a teen that should have gotten me killed or injured seriously. Don't want them getting any ideas...

I hear ya Vic....some things are best left untold lol.

There are 341 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-i-got-a-1132-speeding-ticket-in-georgia/page/5?hl=puffdanny and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.