Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 341 posts
  • 147 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    Road Rage (resized).jpg
    20180630_071337 (resized).png
    giphy.gif
    20190404_230020 (resized).png
    20190404_180829 (resized).jpg
    3a65885acb08a13287adcf30b15b5b94d99a8196 (resized).jpg
    hqdefault (resized).jpg
    126A6746-65CC-484F-945D-F12AF6AEF360 (resized).jpeg
    8E1C1E26-7566-4A4E-88DF-0AA068AD03E3 (resized).jpeg
    254657638789489458934782376 (resized).PNG
    IMG_3364 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3365 (resized).JPG
    srt8 (resized).jpg
    Buford T.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-16-13-08-60 (resized).png
    There are 341 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
    #151 5 years ago
    Quoted from Procrastinator:

Max 360c is probably the best right at the moment. V1 is good, I’ve owned them for a while, but got too many false signals . The 360c pushes out updates for new model year cars, auto memory gps false signal (records false signals and mutes them in the future) and also has an app where other radars work like a big network to identify threats. Not the best range, but best feature set.

Wow, it's not cheap, but it does pay itself within 2 tickets. Thanks for the tip, I'm getting it !

#152 5 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

You sound like a lovely guy, not sure there is much point to start a discussion there.

I am a lovely guy, i can be an asshole too. I use to race cars dude for many years so i know a little bit about driving fast. I also know how dangerous 100mph is.

#153 5 years ago

Wow. Last time I got a 20 over ticket I was told the max fine possible for speeding in AZ was $240. The catch is the cop has the choice to take you to jail or not on a 20 over ticket. That was a long time ago though. That’s an crazy high fine. Glad I don’t live or drive in Georgia.

#154 5 years ago
    Quoted from Squeakman:

Wow. Last time I got a 20 over ticket I was told the max fine possible for speeding in AZ was $240. The catch is the cop has the choice to take you to jail or not on a 20 over ticket. That was a long time ago though. That’s an crazy high fine. Glad I don’t live or drive in Georgia.

Well when you're driving 100mph its no longer considered speeding, its considered stupid and reckless, especially when you are in a fit of rage with another driver.

#155 5 years ago

Don't pay the ticket... and never drive through Georgia again.

#156 5 years ago

It's all relative. There is a time and place for everything.

My little car can do 150 in 4th and still have 2 gears left (speed limited at 155) Do I do 150, no, that's crazy. Do I do 45 on 15 mph curves at deals gap, hell yea. 20 miles of no driveways, houses, entrances or anything just hairpin turns and switchbacks on perfect condition roads. Do 150 and get thrown under the jail, do 45 and the cops wave at you.

#157 5 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

Wow, it's not cheap, but it does pay itself within 2 tickets. Thanks for the tip, I'm getting it !

Truly the best you can get, and I’ve owned a bunch. V1 was go to for many years but now that the patent on the arrow system expired other manufacturers can now copy it. You won’t regret the 360!

#158 5 years ago

I don't have time to read all four pages, but why the question of if to get an attorney? You always do that for any moving violation. They get it knocked down to a parking ticket, no points, no report to insurance, you don't have to show to court, and you move on just pay what you deserve. 100 mph, you are lucky they didn't arrest you.

#159 5 years ago
    Quoted from Monte:

As you well know, it’s illegal to divide up and give slices of revenue generated via penalties with out accountability.

Actually this is not true.. Look up the laws on civil forfeiture. Police can seize money if they "suspect" it to be from illegal sources and innocence must be proven by the victim to get it back. And yes no accountability to how the money is spent or divided...

#160 5 years ago

Boy, times have changed!

Let me take you back to 1976, with 68 GTO, Loaded!
    We would cut class, (no one to check), throw a case of Beer in the Back Window, (the code for heading to the Beach), and speed our way
    to some surf and suds, drinking our way there...(Odin would be proud).
    No troubles from school, pulled over a dozen times, no tickets, mostly concern if we stopped short and the bottles flew.
    No concerns for DUI, if we were respectable.Of course, we would offer a cold one to the officer, and often they took it.

I will be sure not to speed anywhere!!

#161 5 years ago

In PA, the police department gets half the fine_ portion of the ticket. So the fine itself may be $25 on a 5-over speeding ticket, but all the other fees they add on makes it a $200 ticket. The police department that wrote the ticket gets $12.50.

One good thing we have going is that we are the only, or one of the only states that do not allow local police to use radar or laser. They have to use timing lines and a stopwatch-like device or light sensors along the road. However, the state legislature is trying once again to allow locals to use radar. They will probably make us get front plates if that goes down.

Pay your fine and lick your wounds. If you are going to do 100, you better know the territory and make sure there are no witnesses.

#162 5 years ago

if you were doing 100 cause you were bringing a pin home and were very excited pinside would understand.

#163 5 years ago

A buddy of mine says that the only people who pay speeding tickets are those who stop for police.

#164 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I am a lovely guy, i can be an asshole too. I use to race cars dude for many years so i know a little bit about driving fast. I also know how dangerous 100mph is.

I have no interest in racing anyone, never did and never will. 100mph with the right car (an audi a7 in my case) on a desert straight road with no one, no ditch, no walls and no ice is not dangerous. The only danger there is to fall asleep while going at 65 on an endless road.

As to cops incentive it’s fairly straightforward. They get paid to appear in court and if court time is outside of their normal work hours they get paid overtime (1.5 times normal pay). They don’t get paid for the duration of their case they get paid for as long as they stay in court and wait for their turn.
    Now obviously the only way to get that is to send people to court, so there is a financial bias in giving or not a ticket to someone.

#165 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

A chief prosecutor who also works for Ticket Clinic

I’ve been sitting in traffic court in Florida for almost 25 years and have personally handled well over 1,000,000 traffic related cases. I subcontract for all the larger traffic firms, including the firm you mentioned.

While the larger firms provide a valuable service, in the smaller counties they farm it out to the local attorneys. My advice is to hire the local experienced traffic lawyer, not the big traffic firm and not a local general practitioner. You may spend a few dollars more in attorney fees but you want the local guy who’s familiar with the players in the local court up to bat for you and not there because the some big firm is paying them $50 to cover. You become just a name. Trust me.

#166 5 years ago

If I'm in your situation (and you screwed up royally);
    - #1 goal is to keep this off my record. $$ is not the priority and it's time to pay for the mistake.
    - seek professional/legal advice (most situations are resolved before seeing a courtroom).
    - If court-supervision is offered; Take it and drive like your life depends on it for the duration.

Good luck.

#167 5 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

100mph with the right car (an audi a7 in my case) on a desert straight road with no one, no ditch, no walls and no ice is not dangerous.

Technically you are probably right, but then you have things like tires blowing out, something breaks on the car etc. The bottom line it you just shouldn't do it on public roads because sometimes unexpected things happen. The laws are also for your safety as well. You say 100 is ok, what if someone else says 200 is ok? Well we all know that is not ok. 100mph is just too fast and theres no reason to ever drive that fast unless you are the trucking company that is bringing my Munsters game.

#168 5 years ago

Got my first speeding ticket coming back from pinball expo in 1988.
    Great time. Met Rick Stetta and watched him play Taxi.
    Playfields were 20.00 a piece nos Williams . Pallots of them for sale.
    Speedometer broke on the way down to Expo. Coming back through Beloit Wi. Was clocked 93 in a 65. Tropper said I slowed down to 78 after he passed me in the other lane.
    Had to follow him into town and get a money order for like 170.00
    I speeded alot in 80,s. It cost me 2600 a year to be on my parents insurance policy.

Good memories.

#169 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Totally right...none of the "good" lawyers make a living in the speeding ticket world regardless (seriously...not a single one).

I love this thread!

#170 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Technically you are probably right, but then you have things like tires blowing out, something breaks on the car etc. The bottom line it you just shouldn't do it on public roads because sometimes unexpected things happen. The laws are also for your safety as well. You say 100 is ok, what if someone else says 200 is ok? Well we all know that is not ok. 100mph is just too fast and theres no reason to ever drive that fast unless you are the trucking company that is bringing my Munsters game.

I agree with you and that is exactly where the Officer judgment should play an objective role. Is 100 decent, is the car in good condition, was there a threat to anyone etc...

Which goes to my second point, the Officer cannot be objective because his payroll brings a bias.

I’m also quite sure for this reason that going 90 or even 85 would have got me a speeding ticket too, I was his only client that night it really was a desert road.

#171 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Had to follow him into town and get a money order for like 170.00

Around 1986 or so I got a ticket on rt 17 out side New Bern, NC at 2am - cop was nice enough to let me pay the ticket in cash.

Funny thing, it never showed up on my record

#172 5 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Around 1986 or so I got a ticket on rt 17 out side New Bern, NC at 2am - cop was nice enough to let me pay the ticket in cash.
    Funny thing, it never showed up on my record

#173 5 years ago
    Quoted from Monte:

Bullshit. Hardly any law enforcement agencies funded solely by speeding tickets. The revenue generated is nowhere near the amount of money to operate a department or a judicial branch, county jail or prosecution. As you well know, it’s illegal to divide up and give slices of revenue generated via penalties with out accountability. If it is used in any capacity it is available for the tax payers knowledge and consensus for programs of the local and state governments and its agencies. The last thing they want is a false narrative that you are suggesting.

Ha. You’ve obviously never been to VT. Many articles on the revenue some of these small towns make on speeding tickets.

#174 5 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

I agree with you and that is exactly where the Officer judgment should play an objective role. Is 100 decent, is the car in good condition, was there a threat to anyone etc...
    Which goes to my second point, the Officer cannot be objective because his payroll brings a bias.
    I’m also quite sure for this reason that going 90 or even 85 would have got me a speeding ticket too, I was his only client that night it really was a desert road.

If you knew me you would probably pee your pants laughing at my lecture because i used to be one of the craziest people you have ever seen behind the wheel if a car and on motorcycles but like i said thats when i was young. I think that's why im kind of hardcore about this because i dont want people doing the stuff that i did. I have no clue how i survived it all.

#175 5 years ago

$1132 is about right for High Speed.

#176 5 years ago
    Quoted from djxealot:

OTOH, do the same 102 on an open, flat road that's completely empty of cars and people, and who gives a damn?

I was doing 70 in Montana and hit an elk causing $5200.00 dollars in damage to my truck.

#177 5 years ago

Using a radar detector, I'd get too confident in it and eventually get busted. Though I haven't used one in a long time. Waze is very good on busy Interstates.

#178 5 years ago
    Quoted from Beebl:

Actually this is not true.. Look up the laws on civil forfeiture. Police can seize money if they "suspect" it to be from illegal sources and innocence must be proven by the victim to get it back. And yes no accountability to how the money is spent or divided...

Yeah, this is not what we are talking about. Speeding tickets, a quasi punishment for a violation action that the court can punish.

#179 5 years ago

Derailing this thread for a hot second.

Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Saratoga Springs is a great town!

Thanks for your kind words! Come on down to the Saratoga Pinball Show in August

#180 5 years ago
    Quoted from Monte:

Hardly any law enforcement agencies funded solely by speeding tickets.

Well, you added the word “solely” in there, which I didn’t use. I just said they are funded by the ticket revenue, and they are. Many departments around the country receive the revenue from tickets and depend on that steady stream of cash to fund their day to day operations.

Heck, in Louisiana this practice had gotten so out of hand that a few years ago they had to change the law at the state level to where if someone is ticketed for ten miles over the limited or under the money would NOT go to the various local departments but would rather go in to the state coffers. Before that fairly recent law change people were getting tickets for going a mere four or five miles over the limit...after the law changed all of the sudden no one was getting tickets for being under ten mph above the speed limit...changed in one day state wide.

Tickets are a revenue generating machine for local departments.

#181 5 years ago

Georgia sounds pretty strict and that's a rough break. Like someone had stated earlier I think that everyone should try and fight their tickets as well. In MN atleast it's a good idea maybe not Georgia as I'm not familiar with their laws.

I was pretty reckless and honestly a stupid driver in my teenage years and collected 4 speeding tickets before turning 20. Including one where I was over 100 on a 55. I was able to fight out of all them getting on my record as well as reducing countless other violations throughout the years. Eventually I learned to be smart about my driving but thank goodness I pushed through the court systems to avoid a lot more trouble. This wasn't even that long ago either so it's not like the times have changed either but just probably differences in states.

#182 5 years ago

I thank everyone for their feedback. I didn’t expect this to blow up like it did. Keep in my mind my original complaint was what I felt was disproportionate for a plea of 90 in a 70.

I don’t drive 100 (well I guess I did, but dont)and was surprised when he said I was going that fast, my car accelerates from 85 to 100 in about 1 second if I need to jump in front of a douche bag in the left lane. I decided to do it on my 10 hour journey and got caught. I will pay the fee.

I realize 100 sounds really bad, so I didn’t expect sympathy. But my driving record also shows I don’t have a history of speeding.

I could understand arrests for habitual offenders or wreckless driving at speed too.

#183 5 years ago

Wife got a $250 ticket for 30km/hr over speed limit.

My buddy got a $850 ticket for going 50km/hr over speed limit, plus had to take a driver's improvement class for a couple humdred more.

#184 5 years ago

Reading this thread has made me think of two things: Sheriff Buford T. Justice and Ludacris...Doing a 100 on the highway...move b tch get out the way!

Buford T.jpgBuford T.jpg

#185 5 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

I have a V1, but it was at Valentine getting serviced. It's my second actually (1st was stolen)

Slooow down dude!

#186 5 years ago

Too bad .. I wish you all the best , bad luck on this day.

BTW ... did i tell you that I drive an american car (Chrysler 300C SRT8) here in Germany ?
    Please find attached a picture from a tour on the Autobahn last year.
    275 km/h are around 177 mph .... dont try in Georgia or you will end up like Sparky in MET !!!

srt8 (resized).jpgsrt8 (resized).jpg
    #187 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

There's a bunch of massholes driving up there!

Especially in Fall River MA. Worst drivers on the planet.

#188 5 years ago

I don’t know if this link will work. I’m on my phone not my computer

#189 5 years ago

3:52

#190 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

And yet people in Germany and Italy (possibly other places but I have personal experiences with these two) do it all day long. They also know to get the hell out of the left hand lane unless they are passing someone, after driving so many miles in Ohio and Michigan it was sooo refreshing to see!!

#191 5 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

And yet people in Germany and Italy (possibly other places but I have personal experiences with these two) do it all day long. They also know to get the hell out of the left hand lane unless they are passing someone, after driving so many miles in Ohio and Michigan it was sooo refreshing to see!!

West Texas I-20 west of Odessa is posted 80mph all the way to El Paso. The left lane was always open. I thought I died and went to Heaven on that trip.

3 months later I had to drive thru Indiana and deal one truck passing another truck again and again and again.

#192 5 years ago

I love that you guys going 170 MPH all manage to snap a pic of your speedometers while doing so.

Seems safe!

#193 5 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

When traffic reaches a certain density, you get to a point where you are always trying to pass someone and someone is always trying to pass you. I-4 anyone?

#194 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

When traffic reaches a certain density, you get to a point where you are always trying to pass someone and someone is always trying to pass you. I-4 anyone?

Without a doubt that is true but I'm talking about the very, very common issue of no one being in the right hand lane and a line of cars all going the same speed in the left hand lane because they are too oblivious or have never been taught to get over when not passing. This is anything but rare in Ohio especially.

#195 5 years ago

I love that you guys going 170 MPH all manage to snap a pic of your speedometers while doing so.
    Seems safe!</blockquote

For my pic, the passenger took the pic. No way would I drive that fast one-handed.... Salt, concrete or asphalt....

#196 5 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

Everyone once in a while you hear a story of someone being pulled over for holding up traffic by staying in the left lane. Some folks are just totally oblivious when driving and I guess some just like being jerks and think they should dictate the speed everyone drives. Nothing more annoying that being backed up and you can see nothing but open road in the left lane ahead of some moron who insists on driving the same speed as those in the right lane.

That's called "Impeding Traffic" - those a$$holes that hold up traffic when the light is green so people can pull out of the gas station into traffic can get cited for it too.

#197 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bwilson:

I've got a buddy who is an attorney and he gave me some pretty good advice once.
    He basically told me to show up to court and ask if the cop who busted me was actually licensed and approved to use the mechanism in which he caught me. I think he was using a laser gun or something like that. Or it might have been old school with a scope, I honestly don't remember.
    Anyhow, long story short the guy wasn't approved to use it so they threw the ticket out.
    In your case it sounds like they're some hardcore mofos in GA. I'm willing to bet those cops are approved for catching speeders any means necessary.
    Good Luck!

The radar/laser gun is required to be calibrated before every shift, with documentation to support it. Also, the officer must possess an FCC license to operate the equipment.

#198 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Boy, times have changed!
    Let me take you back to 1976, with 68 GTO, Loaded!
    We would cut class, (no one to check), throw a case of Beer in the Back Window, (the code for heading to the Beach), and speed our way
    to some surf and suds, drinking our way there...(Odin would be proud).
    No troubles from school, pulled over a dozen times, no tickets, mostly concern if we stopped short and the bottles flew.
    No concerns for DUI, if we were respectable.Of course, we would offer a cold one to the officer, and often they took it.
    I will be sure not to speed anywhere!!

Yes, things sure have gotten better.

#199 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Plenty of law enforcement departments in the country are funded by speeding tickets. Some states divide it up with the local DA’s office and some even give a slice of the action to the judge’s courtroom.

Correct, you did not use the word “solely”. However, the inference arose from your statement above. You suggested that this is a rampant practice in plenty departments, over metrics that might only apply to your law enforcement jurisdiction. In furtherance, you imply that the States District Attorneys offices are purloining and dividing funds for deceptive practices with revenues generated from fines legally? Then implicate that some judicial court room is on the take?
    Mea Culpa, I miss understood your verbiage.

#200 5 years ago
    Quoted from Monte:

You suggested that this is a rampant practice in plenty departments, over metrics that might only apply to your law enforcement jurisdiction. In furtherance, you imply that the States District Attorneys offices are purloining and dividing funds for deceptive practices with revenues generated from fines legally? Then implicate that some judicial court room is on the take?

Never once did I infer or remotely suggest that the money was hidden or being taken for deceptive practices. The budgets for all of the state agencies and source of the revenue are of course publicly available.

You simply read and inferred far more into the statement of mine you quoted then is there.

There are 341 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-i-got-a-1132-speeding-ticket-in-georgia/page/4?hl=rockfordreplay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.