Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 341 posts
  • 147 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    Road Rage (resized).jpg
    20180630_071337 (resized).png
    giphy.gif
    20190404_230020 (resized).png
    20190404_180829 (resized).jpg
    3a65885acb08a13287adcf30b15b5b94d99a8196 (resized).jpg
    hqdefault (resized).jpg
    126A6746-65CC-484F-945D-F12AF6AEF360 (resized).jpeg
    8E1C1E26-7566-4A4E-88DF-0AA068AD03E3 (resized).jpeg
    254657638789489458934782376 (resized).PNG
    IMG_3364 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3365 (resized).JPG
    srt8 (resized).jpg
    Buford T.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-16-13-08-60 (resized).png
    There are 341 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.
    #101 5 years ago
    Quoted from guard:

Up here in Ontario your car would be impounded, on the spot, for one week, a very hefty fine, and a court appearence to explain why you should be driving again. That much over is called "stunt driving" and you would be very happy with just that fine. Chalk it up to a learning experience...

Not quite. 30 mph over the limit is only 48 kmh in Canada and you do not get impounded until 50kph over the limit. Then you are looking at a cost of CDN$5k plus when you include towing, impound, fine, etc. So at 48 kph over you are just toe-ing the line. Not to mention the demerit points and insurance premiums.

#102 5 years ago

I think the bigger question is could this go to trial and if so will free parking be provided to jurors?

#103 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:I always wondered, what would qualify as a good attorney for something so simple as a speeding ticket?

One who gets the charges reduced to where you have no record of the charge saving you several thousands of dollars. Well worth the attorney fees.

#104 5 years ago
    Quoted from jp1985:

I think the bigger question is could this go to trial and if so will free parking be provided to jurors?

Traffic court is a bench trial. No Jury. I'm guessing the Judge does not pay for parking. He has a good education.

#105 5 years ago

My stance is (practically) every traffic ticket should be fought. If everyone showed up in court to fight their ticket instead of mailing a check, suddenly cops are out fighting crimes instead of taxing citizens for rolling stop violations.

#106 5 years ago

A few years ago a young guy tried showing off the speed of his new motorcycle to some of his friends who were in a car following behind him. My house is at the curve in the road on a residential street with a speed limit of 25 mph. He was going so fast that he couldn't make the curve. He deliberately bailed off the bike onto my lawn when he saw it was going to run into one of my cars parked in my driveway, damaging the rear fascia, fender, trunk lid, and taillight. The motorcycle slammed into the back of that car at an angle and continued on to break several branches off one of my evergreen bushes before ramming the side of my house and denting the aluminum siding (could have been more damage to the house, but the car and then the bush slowed the cycle down a bit). I called the police, who gave him a ticket for driving too fast for conditions and another ticket for no insurance (he lied and told the officer he did have insurance but did not have the card with him).

I went to court for his hearing and spoke with the prosecutor before the case was called and was told they had reached a deal. The guy's dad had hired a lawyer to negotiate with the court. He pleaded guilty to not having insurance and paid the $300 fine plus court costs for that in exchange for them dropping the speeding charge because there was no witness to him speeding (even though the damage could not have been done at the 25 mph posted limit). The guy already had enough points against him that the speeding ticket would have cost him his license (no insurance would not do so). So he paid a lawyer and the fine in order to save his license.

As for all the damage to my property? That was of no concern to the police. That was my problem. The court date was only to secure revenue for the town. I had to pay my auto deductible and let my uninsured motorist insurance pay for repairing my car. And I learned that the $1000 deductible on my home insurance meant I was on my own if I wanted the siding fixed or bush replaced. I would have to sue in small claims court if I wanted to try to get reimbursed.

Isn't justice wonderful? At least I got to see a car hauler come and pick up the pieces of his smashed motorcycle from my yard.

#107 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

My stance is (practically) every traffic ticket should be fought. If everyone showed up in court to fight their ticket instead of mailing a check, suddenly cops are out fighting crimes instead of taxing citizens for rolling stop violations.

... or driving 100 mph.

#108 5 years ago

My experience has been if you fight a ticket the cop usually has to show up in court. At least that's the way it works in Missouri.

#109 5 years ago

Get a lawyer. There are lots of attorneys that do nothing but fight traffic tickets. I have probably, no shit, used them 50-75 times in my life. Besides the money for the ticket your insurance will go way up and I would rather give the money to a lawyer than the city or state that is basically taking your money by threatening to take you to jail if you don't pay up. I got a ticket in Hawaii and I told my wife not to pay it and she did. My motorcycle insurance went from $800 a year to $1700 for 3 years. I could have gone to Hawaii and fought the ticket and had a lot of fun for that money. Surly you can do deferment or take defensive driving and get out of the ticket. Traffic tickets are nothing but legal racketeering as far as I'm concerned and I refuse to pay them.

#110 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

... or driving 100 mph.

Depending on his car, driving ability, and conditions, I don't have a problem with someone going that fast, at least momentarily. He also said it was to put another potentially unsafe driver behind him.

Most people just don't know how to drive. Our roads would be safer if the public were educated on the proper use of the left lane.

Speed is often the least of my concerns on the road these days. I'm much more concerned about the people crafting emails or taking selfies than I am about the guy with 4 piston calipers passing me safely on my left.

#111 5 years ago

Yeah I'm good without a bunch of idiots driving 100 MPH on any of the roads I regularly travel on. You want to drive like that go to Germany where the roads are pristine and the drivers are used to that kind of shit.

Last time I did over 100 (125!) was on the Autobahn. It ruled. Also I was listening to Kraftwerk's Autobahn at the same time.

#112 5 years ago

There’s a lot of good info here on GA speeding tickets:

https://www.atlantaduilawyer.com/how-to-fight-a-speeding-ticket/

#113 5 years ago

Depending on his car, driving ability, and conditions, I don't have a problem with someone going that fast, at least momentarily. He also said it was to put another potentially unsafe driver behind him.
    Most people just don't know how to drive. Our roads would be safer if the public were educated on the proper use of the left lane.
    Speed is often the least of my concerns on the road these days. I'm much more concerned about the people crafting emails or taking selfies than I am about the guy with 4 piston calipers passing me safely on my left.

I think it’s safer to have the unsafe driver in front of you unless you’re racing in NASCAR.

#114 5 years ago

I disagree. Traffic enforcement saves lives. If there were no omnipresence or concern about getting a ticket, many more lives would be lost on the roads. Traffic stops also lead to a ton of drug and warrant arrests, taking criminals off the street (often only briefly) and reducing crime. It isn't a citizen tax if the citizen isn't breaking a traffic law.

#115 5 years ago

All of the stuff in this thread is admissible should you fight it.

#116 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah I'm good without a bunch of idiots driving 100 MPH on any of the roads I regularly travel on. You want to drive like that go to Germany where the roads are pristine and the drivers are used to that kind of shit.
    Last time I did over 100 (125!) was on the Autobahn. It ruled. Also I was listening to Kraftwerk's Autobahn at the same time.

Did this on the salt at Bonneville Speedway. Wendover, Utah.

Screenshot_2014-06-16-13-08-60 (resized).pngScreenshot_2014-06-16-13-08-60 (resized).png
    #117 5 years ago

You were driving way too fast and putting other peoples lives in danger. How would you like it if your wife and kids would have been traveling that stretch of highway and two assholes go ripping past them at 100 plus mph? I think you got off easy, should have been reckless operation and you should have been arrested and had your car towed.

I am not trying to sound like a dick and i have done the exact same thing many times, but thats when i was young and stupid. I am now older and wiser and i realize the bad things that can happen in situations like that. Just be a man and pay the ticket and grow up while you're at it and think about other peoples lives. You could have killed a small child or someones family. Take your car to the drag strip and run the shit out of it there, not on public roads.

#118 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

I disagree. Traffic enforcement saves lives. If there were no omnipresence or concern about getting a ticket, many more lives would be lost in the roads. Traffic stops also lead to a ton of drug and warrant arrests, taking criminals off the street (often only briefly) and reducing crime. It isn't a citizen tax if the citizen isn't breaking a traffic law.

A traffic stop in itself is inherently dangerous.

I don't disagree that serious offenders should be stopped and ticketed, but I do disagree that this is not seen as a chance to raise revenue. I've been pulled over for a rolling stop violation, and going 5 over (even slowing down when I was entering a reduced speed zone). It's a joke.

#119 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Did this on the salt at Bonneville Speedway. Wendover, Utah.[quoted image]

LOL you can see the gas gauge sinking

#120 5 years ago

A traffic stop in itself is inherently dangerous.
    I don't disagree that serious offenders should be stopped and ticketed, but I do disagree that this is not seen as a chance to raise revenue. I've been pulled over for a rolling stop violation, and going 5 over (even slowing down when I was entering a reduced speed zone). It's a joke.

I hafta agree that a traffic stop on the highway is dangerous and unproductive as well. As someone who has commuted on Rte 128/95 around Eastern Mass for a long time, just having a cruiser within sight of motorists causes huge traffic backups. So the ticket is legal system revenue of $100 or $500 and it's at what cost of lost time, wasted gas in traffic for thousands of people? Yes, I said thousands...

#121 5 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

I hafta agree that a traffic stop on the highway is dangerous and unproductive as well. As someone who has commuted on Rte 128/95 around Eastern Mass for a long time, just having a cruiser within sight of motorists causes huge traffic backups. So the ticket is legal system revenue of $100 or $500 and it's at what cost of lost time, wasted gas in traffic for thousands of people?

There's a bunch of massholes driving up there!

#122 5 years ago
    Quoted from wdennie:

Be glad your not in NYS, they'd pull your license.

This is not true at all. Not sure why you think so. They did a study and NYS is actually the worst state with a long history of allowing the most chronic speeders to plea away or throw out their tickets.

Hell we regularly drive 85mph on the Northway here in NY and the cops don’t start getting annoyed till you hit 90, but they give warnings and such. Just get an attorney and plea your case by mail. It’s easier and trust me it’s waaaay cheaper than the insurance and points you’ll get if that sticks.

#123 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

You were driving way too fast and putting other peoples lives in danger. How would you like it if your wife and kids would have been traveling that stretch of highway and two assholes go ripping past them at 100 plus mph? I think you got off easy, should have been reckless operation and you should have been arrested and had your car towed.
    I am not trying to sound like a dick and i have done the exact same thing many times, but thats when i was young and stupid. I am now older and wiser and i realize the bad things that can happen in situations like that. Just be a man and pay the ticket and grow up while you're at it and think about other peoples lives. You could have killed a small child or someones family. Take your car to the drag strip and run the shit out of it there, not on public roads.

My last ticket was in Oregon at 11pm on a 170 miles straight line, with me and myself on the road, I got clocked at 105 mph, there are cases were speed limits make no sense, and I do believe it should be up to the cop's judgment to decide if you are doing something wrong or not, and not be based on the commission he gets off of your ticket.

#124 5 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

This is not true at all. Not sure why you think so. They did a study and NYS is actually the worst state with a long history of allowing the most chronic speeders to plea away or throw out their tickets.
    Hell we regularly drive 85mph on the Northway here in NY and the cops don’t start getting annoyed till you hit 90, but they give warnings and such. Just get an attorney and plea your case by mail. It’s easier and trust me it’s waaaay cheaper than the insurance and points you’ll get if that sticks.

Saratoga Springs is a great town!

#125 5 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

My last ticket was in Oregon at 11pm on a 170 miles straight line, with me and myself on the road, I got clocked at 105 mph, there are cases were speed limits make no sense, and I do believe it should be up to the cop's judgment to decide if you are doing something wrong or not, and not be based on the commission he gets off of your ticket.

Yes, they totally get commission

#126 5 years ago

Who ever says "pay the fine and move on" is a well.. Pinside rule #1 prevents from saying.

Always get a lawyer. Doesn't matter if it's 5 over or 50 over. Most states have layers that specialize in traffic tickets. More than likely, they can get it reduced to something else that won't affect your insurance. The system is designed to have a lawyer on your side, do not go solo or agree to pay; lawyer up!

#127 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lamprey:

Who ever says "pay the fine and move on" is a well.. Pinside rule #1 prevents from saying.
    Always get a lawyer. Doesn't matter if it's 5 over or 50 over. Most states have layers that specialize in traffic tickets. More than likely, they can get it reduced to something else that won't affect your insurance. The system is designed to have a lawyer on your side, do not go solo or agree to pay; lawyer up!

I totally agree with that, I take a lawyer most of the time. In California it's quite cheap and easy, they took it to the industrial level, in other States (my Oregon ticket above typically), it's still the old style lawyer that costs way more.

#128 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

LOL you can see the gas gauge sinking

There's a Sinclair station at the I-80 Bonneville interchange. Dino Power 91 (no 92 or 93 there) premium fuel available at a premium price....

#129 5 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

Well i can understand why a guy thinks its ok to drive 105mph also thinks that cops get commission on the tickets that they write. Are you f*cking serious dude, do you honestly believe that cops get commission?

Its never ok to drive 105mph and theres probably not a cop in this world that would let you go with just a warning. Hard to believe any adult can be that dumb but the world is full of Dummies so nothing surprises me anymore.

#130 5 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Saratoga Springs is a great town!

Lots of Bally equipment in that town.....

#131 5 years ago

If you do decide to go to court to “fight” the charges, do not go without an attorney. This judge could make an example out of you and you could wind up in work duty, community service or jail. You’ve got two options: pay the fine and live with the consequences or attorney up and deal with those potential consequences- while hoping the judge will not throw the book at you-

#132 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Well i can understand why a guy thinks its ok to drive 105mph also thinks that cops get commission on the tickets that they write. Are you f*cking serious dude, do you honestly believe that cops get commission

Plenty of law enforcement departments in the country are funded by speeding tickets. Some states divide it up with the local DA’s office and some even give a slice of the action to the judge’s courtroom.

The user you quoted was speaking of this practice, not the cop personally getting a commission (that was a bit of hyperbole)...though, and I guess you need to sit down for this, that happens too...those camera tickets people get...some of that revenue goes to the private companies that lease the speeding cameras and not all to the state. That is the same as a private commission on a speeding ticket.

#133 5 years ago
    Quoted from Oldgoat:

Many, many moons ago, my wife and I are driving separate cars coming back from Charlotte, NC. We are on I-77 She is ahead of me and comes up on a State Trooper. He is doing about 50 in a 55. She pulls into the left lane to pass...he speeds up to about 60 at which point, she falls back behind him. He slows back down to 50, she tries again, he speeds up again. Tries a third time, same thing happens. So my wife pulls into the left lane but doesn't speed up, just cruises there for a bit, so trooper backs down to 50 at which point she guns it and whips past the trooper. Lights her up and pulls her over for doing 60. Really a crappy thing to do.

I've had that happen many times...cops going slower than the speed limit in front of me. You're wondering...are they signaling me to pass or are they baiting me to pass so they can write me a ticket? I have respect for the police overall, but it's easy to lose respect with these types of shenanigans.

#135 5 years ago

save the money for the lawyer. go to court and plead guilty and ask the DA for mercy. you will probably pay a stiff fine and hopefully they will wave the points and reduce it to 20 mph. trust me its not a big deal and i am sure they see this all the time they want the money and to close the case and go on to the next one.
    if you go to court and they are not flexible you can always put a bond and come back with a lawyer.

#136 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

I always wondered, what would qualify as a good attorney for something so simple as a speeding ticket?

A chief prosecutor who also works for Ticket Clinic

#137 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Plenty of law enforcement departments in the country are funded by speeding tickets. Some states divide it up with the local DA’s office and some even give a slice of the action to the judge’s courtroom.
    The user you quoted was speaking of this practice, not the cop personally getting a commission (that was a bit of hyperbole)...though, and I guess you need to sit down for this, that happens too...those camera tickets people get...some of that revenue goes to the private companies that lease the speeding cameras and not all to the state. That is the same as a private commission on a speeding ticket.

Toledo, Ohio has a patrol that uses a laser gun with a camera. They hide on the Ottawa River Road on ramp on Southbound I-75 monday-friday mornings. They shoot you and you get a ticket in the mail from the COmpaNy in Phoenix, Arizona labeled City of Toledo Police Department.

My son got one and three weeks later a co-worker got one. Simple arithmetic of the incident photo number (not the ticket number) showed just over a million bucks in revenue over a month. Same coworker got one a month ago (exactly two years later) The numbers show just over a million bucks a month. It's like shooting fish in a barrel. A revenue generator.

Time for the Bonnie & Clyde license plate deal.....

#138 5 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

Speed limits are not just for the other people's safety. They are also so that emts, fire, police, ambulance, etc do not have to go racing to a deserted highway at night because someone was driving way too fast and plowed a deer at 105 mph and flipped 5 times.

#139 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Context is everything.

In my hometown, a guy did 102 in a 35, in broad daylight on a street with pedestrians, and raced another car. He killed a mother and her 2 year old toddler.

OTOH, do the same 102 on an open, flat road that's completely empty of cars and people, and who gives a damn?

I do generally dislike the notion that speed automatically means unsafe. It can mean unsafe, in certain conditions. In other conditions, it's no big deal. To be fair, I don't know if the OP was in a safe condition, or an unsafe one. But speed doesn't automatically mean you put someone's family and kids at risk. That depends on where/when you did it.

#140 5 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

If you do decide to go to court to “fight” the charges, do not go without an attorney. This judge could make an example out of you and you could wind up in work duty, community service or jail. You’ve got two options: pay the fine and live with the consequences or attorney up and deal with those potential consequences- while hoping the judge will not throw the book at you-

In Massachusetts, you request a hearing and go before the mag for a plea bargain. No need for a lawyer. The plea is what it is. If you say no, request a court hearing, pay a fee $100? maybe and then lawyer up.

#141 5 years ago

This is delusional behavior regarding the police and state/ local governments.
    Perhaps, if one “Stopped” instead of rolling it. They would have time to fight crimes, rather than police entitled drivers who interpret the rules of the road as they wish. This is the attitude that causes a taxing on citizens via the cops.

#142 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Toledo, Ohio has a patrol that uses a laser gun with a camera. They hide on the Ottawa River Road on ramp on Southbound I-75 monday-friday mornings. They shoot you and you get a ticket in the mail from the COmpaNy in Phoenix, Arizona labeled City of Toledo Police Department.
    My son got one and three weeks later a co-worker got one. Simple arithmetic of the incident photo number (not the ticket number) showed just over a million bucks in revenue over a month. Same coworker got one a month ago (exactly two years later) The numbers show just over a million bucks a month. It's like shooting fish in a barrel. A revenue generator.
    Time for the Bonnie & Clyde license plate deal.....

Or, and maybe I am crazy here.... Don't speed.

#143 5 years ago
    Quoted from PBFan:

Not quite. 30 mph over the limit is only 48 kmh in Canada and you do not get impounded until 50kph over the limit. Then you are looking at a cost of CDN$5k plus when you include towing, impound, fine, etc. So at 48 kph over you are just toe-ing the line. Not to mention the demerit points and insurance premiums.

How did you say that?? Oh yea, "Not quite"....since our fastest speed limit on any highway is 100 km (one has a section at 110) and he'd be doing slightly over 160 he'd be stunt driving.

#144 5 years ago
    Quoted from thirdedition:

If you don't speed a bit in Florida, you are impeding the flow of traffic which is another kind of hazard.

#145 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Bullshit. Hardly any law enforcement agencies funded solely by speeding tickets. The revenue generated is nowhere near the amount of money to operate a department or a judicial branch, county jail or prosecution. As you well know, it’s illegal to divide up and give slices of revenue generated via penalties with out accountability. If it is used in any capacity it is available for the tax payers knowledge and consensus for programs of the local and state governments and its agencies. The last thing they want is a false narrative that you are suggesting.

#146 5 years ago
    Quoted from thirdedition:

It is a ridiculously low limit (60) on very smooth interstate after leaving pothole-infested Michigan with a 70 MPH limit . (Average speeds on I-75 in Michigan just North of the Ohio border is 79 MPH).

#147 5 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

Just discovering the Valentine, I've been looking for a reliable one for a while, reliable as in that rings at the right time but doesn't ring all the time for no reasons. It's not cheap, but probably worth it.
    How good is it ?

Max 360c is probably the best right at the moment. V1 is good, I’ve owned them for a while, but got too many false signals . The 360c pushes out updates for new model year cars, auto memory gps false signal (records false signals and mutes them in the future) and also has an app where other radars work like a big network to identify threats. Not the best range, but best feature set.

#148 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

It is a ridiculously low limit (60) on very smooth interstate after leaving pothole-infested Michigan with a 70 MPH limit . (Average speeds on I-75 in Michigan just North of the Ohio border is 79 MPH).

I get all of that, and I'm probably one of the people that drives everyone here crazy because I drive only up to 5 over the limit. I don't hog the left lane though, but people still like to ride my ass in the right when they have 2 lanes to get around me. Unfortunately though it isn't going to get me to speed up, I am a guy that gets picked off for 76 in 65.

I got tired of wasting money on speeding tickets.

#149 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Well i can understand why a guy thinks its ok to drive 105mph also thinks that cops get commission on the tickets that they write. Are you f*cking serious dude, do you honestly believe that cops get commission?
    Its never ok to drive 105mph and theres probably not a cop in this world that would let you go with just a warning. Hard to believe any adult can be that dumb but the world is full of Dummies so nothing surprises me anymore.

You sound like a lovely guy, not sure there is much point to start a discussion there.

#150 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Sorry i do not believe it and he actually did say that the cops get commission whether it was hyperbole or not, and i personally don't think it was hyperbole either.

None of this really matters though. My only point is NOBODY should be driving over 100mph on public roads. You can defend it all you want but if some asshole comes down my street doing 100mph im chasing the son of a bitch down and its probably not going to end well for one of us. Same goes for anyone ANYWHERE that puts my family in danger, interstate, neighborhood, i dont give a F.

There are 341 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-i-got-a-1132-speeding-ticket-in-georgia/page/3?hl=procrastinator and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.