Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 341 posts
  • 147 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    Road Rage (resized).jpg
    20180630_071337 (resized).png
    giphy.gif
    20190404_230020 (resized).png
    20190404_180829 (resized).jpg
    3a65885acb08a13287adcf30b15b5b94d99a8196 (resized).jpg
    hqdefault (resized).jpg
    126A6746-65CC-484F-945D-F12AF6AEF360 (resized).jpeg
    8E1C1E26-7566-4A4E-88DF-0AA068AD03E3 (resized).jpeg
    254657638789489458934782376 (resized).PNG
    IMG_3364 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3365 (resized).JPG
    srt8 (resized).jpg
    Buford T.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-16-13-08-60 (resized).png
    There are 341 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
    #51 5 years ago

Little off topic and old, but in some countries speeding tickets are proportional to your income so this guy got a $103,000 ticket for doing 47 when the limit was 31. See http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1759791.stm

#52 5 years ago

To the OP, sorry about that fine, I think you will either pay the county or an attorney about the same.
    But on a lighter note, the scenario in this picture did happen to me about 3 weeks back. I was first in line at an intersection with an officer from a different town & county on my left. Her lane was straight or turn left, my lane straight only. However within 250' after the light, my lane merges left. Knowing how the lights function at the time of the morning, I was able to get the hole shot and come out ahead of her Ford Escape w/ the pursuit package. The tires on my slightly modded turbo hooked up perfectly and I was a good car length ahead of her when I signaled and moved left. She did flash turn her lights on to show her superiority to me, but not having violated any traffic laws she was forced to stay behind me for several miles where I only exceeded the speed limits by 10% or less. I immediately thought of this picture when it happened and finally found a topic to share my story.
    I hope this cheers you up slightly.

turning-on-your-lights-and-siren-afterlosinga-drag-race-isjustpoorsportsmanshipi-558898 (resized).pngturning-on-your-lights-and-siren-afterlosinga-drag-race-isjustpoorsportsmanshipi-558898 (resized).png
    #53 5 years ago

Something seems off.
    A couple years ago I recieved a speeding ticket for 98 in a 55 and I believe the fine was around 480$. Maybe NY isn’t as strict?

Note to self- don’t speed in Georgia.

#54 5 years ago

IMHO, pay the fine and move on with your life. Chalk it up as a pricey learning experience.

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bowlingpin:

Something seems off.
    A couple years ago I recieved a speeding ticket for 98 in a 55 and I believe the fine was around 480$. Maybe NY isn’t as strict?
    Note to self- don’t speed in Georgia.

Georgia State Troopers are a Unique group.....They are in a polite word, "Tough"
    The state Traffic violations, and court follow ups, are among the worst!
    (Way too many stories from Florida as We have to go through Georgia)

I hope whatever direction you go, my friend, it isnt too hard or painful....

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from plankalkul:

chrome fart pipe.

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from marksf123:

I still don't know why it is such a hard concept that the left lane is made for passing. If you are in the left lane and someone is going faster than you that is behind you then you move over. Some people feel that it is there right to stay in that lane if they are going the speed limit which I will argue is more dangerous if the flow of traffic is faster...

Here in Pittsburgh, its an epidemic. 9 (10) times out of 10 its someone from Ohio...

#58 5 years ago

In IL, >30 over is a class b misdemeanor and >40 over is a class a, so you'd be an idiot not to get a lawyer involved. Make sure you don't get tagged with something like that.

Personally I'd do it anyway just because that insurance hit isn't going to be fun either, assuming reciprocity between, I assume, GA and FL. If there isn't, and no misdemeanor, then I suppose I'd pay.

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Well, some feel the left lane is theirs and anyone going slower should get out of their way. Speeder’s rights?
    Anyone caught going 100mph should expect a hefty ticket. An arrest plus impound with drivers license suspension and a huge increase in insurance.

Keep right except to pass, surely you've heard / read this on a road sign somewhere in your life! I drive through Ohio all the time and they are some of the worst left lane bandits in the world, it makes people pass on the right which just makes the roads less safe.

#60 5 years ago

Many, many moons ago, my wife and I are driving separate cars coming back from Charlotte, NC. We are on I-77 She is ahead of me and comes up on a State Trooper. He is doing about 50 in a 55. She pulls into the left lane to pass...he speeds up to about 60 at which point, she falls back behind him. He slows back down to 50, she tries again, he speeds up again. Tries a third time, same thing happens. So my wife pulls into the left lane but doesn't speed up, just cruises there for a bit, so trooper backs down to 50 at which point she guns it and whips past the trooper. Lights her up and pulls her over for doing 60. Really a crappy thing to do.

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

A friend dealt with a situation like this and the attorney he used specialized in this kind of thing, got the cop so twisted up in what happened, various details and what he was saying that he ended up contradicting himself, and got the case dismissed.

Was it this guy?

5-My-Cousin-Vinny-quotes (resized).png5-My-Cousin-Vinny-quotes (resized).png
    #62 5 years ago

The fine you received is fairly high but not unique to GA.

Penalty for reckless driving in Illinois. In this state, traveling 30 mph or more over the speed limit is automatically considered reckless driving. First-time violators may: Be fined up to $2500

#63 5 years ago

If you want to potentially try for a lesser offense in court then you should hire a local lawyer there who nows all of the judges and is in traffic court every day. You ARE going to spend more than what they are telling you to pay but if that's important to you and you want to try and ensure that your insurance rates don't go bananas then that's what you need to do. Getting the right lawyer who is on a first name basis with the officers and the judge is absolutely ESSENTIAL to having success. Again, this is going to cost you likely double of just paying the fine but it can pay off over the long run.

In my personal opinion, they are doing you a HUGE favor by offering you what they are offering you. I am super surprised that they aren't making you appear in court.

I would take this deal in a nanosecond if it was me.

#64 5 years ago

Pay the ticket and purchase a car with much more mid range torque.

#65 5 years ago

I live in Atlanta and I was traveling to Indiana. Just before I left the state. I received a ticket for 88(?) in a 70 zone. I don’t remember if it was a construction zone but it was a super speeder ticket.

I went to court in this rural part of the state for my arraignment. I did a little research on the type of equipment the officer used and asked some questions of the judge and prosecutor. I asked if instead of me coming back to court and eating their time as well as the officers time they could reduce the ticket to 14 miles over the speed limit which would still result in a fine but no ticket against my license and no increase in insurance.

The judge said that if I paid the full amount of$380 that day that he would void the ticket and wouldn’t be reported Tony insurance. I happily agreed.

#66 5 years ago

I've got a buddy who is an attorney and he gave me some pretty good advice once.

He basically told me to show up to court and ask if the cop who busted me was actually licensed and approved to use the mechanism in which he caught me. I think he was using a laser gun or something like that. Or it might have been old school with a scope, I honestly don't remember.

Anyhow, long story short the guy wasn't approved to use it so they threw the ticket out.

In your case it sounds like they're some hardcore mofos in GA. I'm willing to bet those cops are approved for catching speeders any means necessary.

Good Luck!

#67 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Was it this guy?

Well, it was a lawyer from Brooklyn

#68 5 years ago
    Quoted from swenny:

Thanks for putting everyone else's life in danger. Doing 100 on the interstate should have gotten you arrested.

You must be a blast at parties...

#69 5 years ago

You sure Steve Ritchie wasn't driving your car??

#70 5 years ago

Quite a coincidence but as I'm reading this thread Sammy Hagar's "I Can't Drive 55" just came on XM Ossy's Boneyard.

#71 5 years ago

Unfortunately unless you have a friend in law you are probably best off just paying the fine. I can understand the situation you were in and you seem like a pretty reasonable person but you did get clocked going 100 and 30mph over the speed limit. A good lawyer has decent chance of getting your off completely but it will cost you more then the ticket. So you need to decide if it has additional benefits for it not to be on your record and if lawyer fees and court dates are worth it. The first thing a good lawyer is going to do is request the calibration records for the radar the cop was using. Police departments are historically terrible about recalibrating and certifying them on time and if it's not certified they have to throw out your result. Lots of other little tricks a good lawyer will know that can help you get a reduction or the ticket thrown out.

#72 5 years ago

I would dig into it a little deeper. Judges still sentence people to road gangs there ? 20 over usually judges like to see you.

You admit you were speeding. Send money. Be done with it. No sense making it a lot worse. Or be made an example of.

LTG : )

#73 5 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

I would man up and pay fine, but it really seems like some redneck county BS that is nowhere in line with the norm.

I don't really think you have much of a choice here. If you don't pay the fine and tell them to pound sand they will simply chuckle at you and issue a bench warrant. If you don't live in that state that may not bother you too badly...at first...until you want to refinance your home or start a new job that runs a background check and finds it (and then thinks you are fugitive from justice because there isn't much information on the background report).

#74 5 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Unfortunately unless you have a friend in law you are probably best off just paying the fine. I can understand the situation you were in and you seem like a pretty reasonable person but you did get clocked going 100 and 30mph over the speed limit. A good lawyer has decent chance of getting your off completely but it will cost you more then the ticket. So you need to decide if it has additional benefits for it not to be on your record and if lawyer fees and court dates are worth it. The first thing a good lawyer is going to do is request the calibration records for the radar the cop was using. Police departments are historically terrible about recalibrating and certifying them on time and if it's not certified they have to throw out your result. Lots of other little tricks a good lawyer will know that can help you get a reduction or the ticket thrown out.

That's what I was asking about having a "good" lawyer. If we all know about the calibration thing, I would assume every lawyer in the world has heard of it....
    I just don't see what could be so involved with a speeding ticket that there's even a slight difference in lawyers.?

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from twoplays25c:

In many states here in the Northeast on an interstate highway, going 80MPH+ will usually result in state troopers drawing guns on you

God Bless Texas.

80mph (resized).png80mph (resized).png85mph (resized).png85mph (resized).png
    #76 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

That's what I was asking about having a "good" lawyer. If we all know about the calibration thing, I would assume every lawyer in the world has heard of it....
    I just don't see what could be so involved with a speeding ticket that there's even a slight difference in lawyers.?

Totally right...none of the "good" lawyers make a living in the speeding ticket world regardless (seriously...not a single one). If you are any good there is far more high paying work out there for you as an attorney than arguing about speeding tickets and trying to get someone who doesn't want to pay a $500 ticket to pay you $500 for your time crossing a law enforcement officer on the stand about his calibrations...

A "good" lawyer, in the context of resolving this particular speeding ticket, would be someone who would have a good rapport with the prosecutor or law enforcement agency who issued the ticket...

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Well, some feel the left lane is theirs and anyone going slower should get out of their way. Speeder’s rights?
    Anyone caught going 100mph should expect a hefty ticket. An arrest plus impound with drivers license suspension and a huge increase in insurance.

https://www.facebook.com/ColoradoStatePatrol/videos/vb.175549609152876/573645659814687/?type=2&theater

#78 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Totally right...none of the "good" lawyers make a living in the speeding ticket world regardless (seriously...not a single one). If you are any good there is far more high paying work out there for you as an attorney than arguing about speeding tickets and trying to get someone who doesn't want to pay a $500 ticket to pay you $500 for your time crossing a law enforcement officer on the stand about his calibrations...
    A "good" lawyer, in the context of resolving this particular speeding ticket, would be someone who would have a good rapport with the prosecutor or law enforcement agency who issued the ticket...

So not so much with knowing/arguing the law and more to do with who you know? huh.

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bwilson:

I've got a buddy who is an attorney and he gave me some pretty good advice once.
    He basically told me to show up to court and ask if the cop who busted me was actually licensed and approved to use the mechanism in which he caught me. I think he was using a laser gun or something like that. Or it might have been old school with a scope, I honestly don't remember.
    Anyhow, long story short the guy wasn't approved to use it so they threw the ticket out.
    In your case it sounds like they're some hardcore mofos in GA. I'm willing to bet those cops are approved for catching speeders any means necessary.
    Good Luck!

You're saying you walked into court and said I don't think the cop is certified to use the speed device and the judge was like "shucks you caught us, you're free to go"?

#80 5 years ago

not sure in Georgia, but in mo. they can take you to jail anything 100 mph and up, no questions asked.

#81 5 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

I don't disagree that driving 100 is dangerous, but the guy driving illegally in the left lane changing speeds from 65-90 or so anyone and not letting other drivers trying to pass on the right side more dangerous. I see it all the time, people texting mostly and trying to keep traffic behind them.
    Anyway, not something I normally do and the reason it's my first ticket in 7 years at 35k plus miles a year.
    FWIW I intend to plead guilty and pay as I feel I have no other choice. It's more the principle of the cost of the fine. Like why not shoot for $5k?

so 2 road ragers are better than 1 ?????

#82 5 years ago

Don't do that high of speeding in NH .... you'll be arrested on the spot and make the morning news with your mug shot (I see it quite a bit)

#83 5 years ago

Too bad you were not driving through Hazzard County Georgia. You could have just jumped a dirt ramp over the police car and gotten away.

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

So not so much with knowing/arguing the law and more to do with who you know? huh.

With regards to speeding tickets...sure.

If you go to a city court / traffic court, you simply do not see legal arguments being made (not with any frequency anyway). There will be no lawyer sitting around in a $2,000 suit waiting to make legal arguments for his client about the law over moving violations. That said, if you look at the docket from earlier in the morning on who all was supposed to be heard that day, you'll note many people are simply never called during the day, in any way...they weren't refixed, they weren't deemed a no show, they just vanished off the docket (if they made it there to begin with...).

And let's say you do get an out of town big city lawyer super star (unknown in the court you are being tried in) who comes in and razzle dazzles everyone with his legal knowledge and questioning abilities...at the end of his magic show you may just get a judge who wasn't paying attention anyway who would just say "guilty, and the fine is $____; next"...then what would you do? Appeal? Over a traffic fine? The judge wouldn't care if you do, its not like your appeal hurts his record.

#85 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcclad:

Too bad you were not driving through Hazzard County Georgia. You could have just jumped a dirt ramp over the police car and gotten away.

I usually go with Lupe's escape.

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

There are good lawyers and then there are good lawyers that are the right one for a specific case. Relationships play a huge role into minor offenses like this. A decent law firm will use an intern or new hire for a case like this for all the work. If you are an important enough client they send the higher up with the right connections with the intern at the day of court. There's really no arguing the law if you are truly clocked at 30mph over the limit and the police offer is following proper protocol on everything. Most people that hire a lawyer in these types of cases are to keep it off their records or at least greatly reduced for reasons other then insurance.

#87 5 years ago

Slow the hell down. Don't want a ticket? Don't speed. Don't want a $1100 ticket? Slow down and crawl along, say, at 89. Who drives over 100 and comes to a pinball group to whine when he gets a $1100 ticket?

Sorry, this is crazy, and I'm not talking about the $1100 ticket.

#88 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcclad:

I think anywhere toasterdog drives, he's the hazard....

#89 5 years ago

Agree with most others, the best option is find the "speeding tickets" lawyer in the county to deal with it for you... Here is a good story about a similar issue from a Georgia guy on Vinwiki, a great youtube car channel.

#90 5 years ago

If you go on the High Speed page and look up "Where to play," there are none listed in Georgia.

#91 5 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

I have a V1, but it was at Valentine getting serviced. It's my second actually (1st was stolen)

Just discovering the Valentine, I've been looking for a reliable one for a while, reliable as in that rings at the right time but doesn't ring all the time for no reasons. It's not cheap, but probably worth it.

How good is it ?

#92 5 years ago

Hopefully that hefty fine will slow you down a bit before they start getting really big.

Back in 1989, in the space of one month, my son totaled his Accord, my wife totaled her Prelude and I received a warning from the state that I was about to lose my licence for points violations which were mostly from speeding tickets.
    Our insurance company dropped all three of us (no surprise there) but we could not find an insurance company that would cover us. We had to use a high risk state insurance program for 2 years at approximately 10 grand a year.

I quit speeding and I have not had a ticket since. After a few months you'll get used to driving the speed limit.

#93 5 years ago

They will see what your record was even 7 years ago. It doesn't matter.
    It would not go in your favor if you try to fight it. Not at that limit. Passing that moron
    especially at that speed, forget it just pay and suck it up. Be happy it wasn't reckless driving.
    Don't ever get caught in VA with that detector by the way. Southern hospitality begins in Virginia!
    It may be for lovers but not speeders.

#94 5 years ago

pay the fine
    here you would have copped a fine and lost your license for 6 months

#95 5 years ago

I once got 7 no-front-tag tickets in one summer.

#96 5 years ago

I'm scared of this since I bought my new car. 100 isn't that fast in the right car. Used to be the speed limit was 55 on I75... Now it's 75 where I live, and everyone drives a touch over 80.

I'd pay the fine. Thanks for the reminder that I need to slow down. I've caught myself north of 90 when passing.

#97 5 years ago

Just a little speeding ...

GeneralLee (resized).jpgGeneralLee (resized).jpg

#98 5 years ago

Up here in Ontario your car would be impounded, on the spot, for one week, a very hefty fine, and a court appearence to explain why you should be driving again. That much over is called "stunt driving" and you would be very happy with just that fine. Chalk it up to a learning experience...

#99 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

So describe this ordeal a little better - were you on the expressway? 2 lane blacktop? Where exactly were you that you couldn't get around someone for 15 miles, whether they sped up or not? Were they in a Lamborghini? Because there ain't a car on the road I can't get around if I really want to - that's why God made shoulders......

Like I said I cruise at 79 or so. If someone decides to hog the left and not give it up, I get in the right lane, bump my CC up a few MPH and pass and go about my business. I don't hang out in the left and get back in the right lane after passing.

Some people just don't want to be passed (safely). If I wanted to punch it and pass someone I can. I have a SRT 392 Challenger with 500hp. I'd rather not put on my turn signal and give away my strategy or speed up to 90 to pass someone though. Just move the F over please. It's the law.

#100 5 years ago

Too funny!

There are 341 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-i-got-a-1132-speeding-ticket-in-georgia/page/2?hl=sk8ersublime and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.