(Topic ID: 58360)

So I decided to pickup a WoZ today, 2 in fact.

By markmon

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 657 posts
  • 138 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by rotordave
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pollyanna.jpg
pm.gif
baboon-facepalm.gif
image.jpg
shit-storm.gif
image.jpg
PanteraIsMoreOptomisticThanDanzig.jpg
th_HillbillyDance.gif
ac-pinball2.jpg
YoungPinhead.jpg
abandon_(1).gif
anemometer.jpg
timeout.jpg
in-before-the-lock-lock-demotivational.jpg
download.jpg
thread_lock_is_coming.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markmon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#1 10 years ago

Edit: I am purposely leaving out my impressions of the game and put that into a separate thread here: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-woz-experience-first-impressions-and-lighting

Yep, it's just as the topic says. Local distributor has them sitting in stock. Simply went in and bought them. I paid $7100, no shipping for standard edition. Game is now sitting in my gameroom, second game is being traded for a pretty cool deal.

The local distributor, whom I would rather not name at this point, says he called up and wanted to be a distributor. A couple weeks ago, he ordered 10 and the first 5 arrived Monday. 5 more are due in a few couple weeks. When I heard all this, I assumed it must be a lie. I mean certainly JJP would fulfill the pending orders from those (including me) that paid 2-3 years ago and have been waiting for our game, right? Edit: turns out the local distributor actually ordered LE models day 1 so was in front of the line and asked to swap some of his LE for regular versions. There was no line jumping here. I got lucky

Pictures or it didn't happen, right?

IMG_2038.JPGIMG_2038.JPG// Error: Image 120142 not found // IMG_2040.JPGIMG_2040.JPG IMG_2042.JPGIMG_2042.JPG

Note: I don't have any inside information into the internal workings at JJP. My statements above are my personal interpretations of the events based on what I was told (hearsay) and the fact that I have my game(s).

Post edited by absocountry2 : Removed picture taken showing inside private property without permission

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from johngravenews:

Got to say that's a pretty crappy way to treat the people who have pre-paid. How does the machine actually play now that you've got your hands on one? There seems to be quite a lack of unbiased reviews as they either fall into the "it's the 2nd coming" camp or "it's dreadful". Not trying to troll but genuinely interested in what the machine is actually like (as it's the one thing hardly ever mentioned!)

I didnt want to clutter up the two threads, so I started one on just my impressions of the game and the other on the crappy way I was able to get my game. The other thread is here: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-woz-experience-first-impressions-and-lighting

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I guess Jack was telling the truth when he said they had not made a shipment of 10 machines to a single distributor as you originally claimed. He also said that they were building standards along with the LE's.
I think the majority of people have been waiting for an LE, not a Standard, many of whom paid $6500, such as myself. I would prefer to wait for the LE. Though I'm looking forward to getting it, when I receive it does not really impact my life.

If you go look at the previous thread, I even said "the distributor claims" and admitted I considered that he may be lying. However, in my mind, it does not excuse the fact that Jack stopped building 5 LE's that were paid for in 2010/2011 and instead built 5 regulars to ship to this guy to sell.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Ideally, sure, but it might be tough if you have payroll to meet and a factory to run. The existing orders are not generating any income. The delays also mean expenses are much higher than originally anticipated, yet the initial income from the pre-sales remains the same.
I would cut JJP some slack. But as I said previously, my life isn't really impacted so it's easy for me to say.

If only 10 customers of 1500 outstanding preorders demand a refund because of this along with several hobbit cancelations, then yea it was a poor business decision to boot. I canceled my hobbit preorder today due to this

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

You better powder that thing quick, markmon.

Already at the powder coating shop. If I'm lucky the parts will be done by Friday

#52 10 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

was Mt. Hood a day 1 customer with 15 games on order for two and a half years, and a couple weeks ago decided to add 10 standards to their order... but instead of waiting to get those standards much later on, opted to swap build positions with 10 of their LE games, and then used this "new" order to brag to you about how important they were?

Very interesting take. I have no evidence that this wasn't the case. All I can tell you is, many of us paid for WoZ years ago, yet I was able to walk up and buy a couple yesterday "in stock".

Quoted from Sunfox:

Should you be crucifying Jack, or apologizing?

I'm not sure. I never said Jack was lying. I only reported what the distributor "said". In another thread, I reported what he "said" and also gave my opinion that I thought it was probably a lie. When I was able to actually get the machines, I figured it was true. If what you point out above is true, and it may be, then it makes a bit more sense, but as a person that preordered ages ago, I don't feel any better about it. It still comes down to, "why should I pay to preorder years ahead of time when I can walk in and grab one before my preorder shows up?"

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Hopefully JJP takes a lesson from Stern and starts making their future LE's with different artwork or at least something really unique... Standards can be made into LE's too easily.

My powder job won't be the same as on the LE, or probably even as good. The LE is definitely a better deal price wise. If I buy invisiglass ($300), powder coat ($200), shaker motor ($250?), I'll be in for $7850 at that point and still won't have the better topper, signed apron, or limited run. But I didnt care about any of that. I just wanted the game now since it was available.

#266 10 years ago
Quoted from zippydapinhead:

And Markmon, you have been pretty quiet this morning, hope you are busy enjoying your WOZ.

Sorry. I went to sleep. Just getting caught up.

Quoted from JerseyJack:

A customer of ours is putting his ECLEWOZ on location as we speak -

Jack, thank you so much for coming into this thread and clarifying what happened. It's not upsetting that a distributor that bought and paid for a bunch of LE models on day 1 was put in line first. It makes sense that he then just swapped his order for 10 LE. I heard the story second hand that he called a few weeks ago and just became a distributor. That's the big difference here. And thats what was so upsetting. I got lucky to get my woz. It's a great product so far. Ill edit my original post to show the new data I have learned. I'm going to withdraw my hobbit cancelation and pay up current today.

#271 10 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

In the future, if we are going post something that we suspect is going to cause a "Category EF-5 Shitnado", yet we are willing to take someone's word, be they Jack, Gary or whomever to help clear up the situation, don't you think it would be better to contact the person first? Then, if we still think it's necessary we can post with more accurate and complete information.

I'm not a news reporter and this isn't a news site. This is a public forum. People vent all day. I stated in my original post as well as in the other threads that I was reporting what people "said" and that much of it may not be true. But receiving the game seemed to back the facts I was given at the time.

It's actually good that jack had to address this. It clarified why standard editions are getting out. A lot of people thought there was line jumping going on for it (based on the number of PM I received). If it weren't for this post, we wouldn't have learned the truth.

#301 10 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I want to know what Markmon traded the 2nd WOZ for...

I'll tell you about it when I see you next

#335 10 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Congrats Markmon. Glad you got one... Just not glad you got yours before me since you dropped your preorder and resigned back up.
If I share this info with the better half we will be off of the WOZ list also.
This is literally an online soap opera.

You're welcome to come play it

#338 10 years ago
Quoted from 2NDGEN:

To the gentlemen that started all this, shame on you. I didn't even sell them to you. You sent over your buddy to pick them up knowing that you had premeditated this whole mess. From what I understand you didn't or don't have an issue about the money, it's just the fact that you didn't get yours first. As well you didn't get all the facts. I wasn't somebody that just one day decided to be a JJP distributor. I've wanted to be a distributor for JJP long before it was even possible. By the way I had no idea that they were taking pictures in the warehouse when I was in my office. A little underhanded to send these guys over to do that I'd say. If your such a straight up guy why didn't you call me. I'm sure your buddies would have given you my number.

So, I did not send my buddy out to pick up a game knowing anything. I don't know you. How would I even know that these WoZ exist in town in order to "send my buddy"? The person that sent me those pictures acted alone. He was there because he knows you. I guess that makes him *your* buddy. So, *your* buddy snapped some pictures and sent them to me as proof that these machines were there. How did *your* buddy know to even come there? Because *you* called him and invited him over.

Being that you didn't advertise these, how would I know to call you up and buy one? You were the one that blabbed to these people and let them know you called up and ordered them. You know who these people are. You know what they told me.

And what does it change whether or not I drove there myself to pick up a couple woz machines vs someone else drove there, picked them up, and brought to me? It's just a simple detail that is irrelevant like saying that I put my socks on that morning - irrelevant.

Quoted from 2NDGEN:

One other thing I did have a heated discussion on the phone with this guy that started this crap and he was sure to let me know that he knew more about pinballs in his 3.5 of collecting than I did with my 40 years of operating/distributing. REALLY?????

I absolutely did not tell you that I know more than you in my 3.5 years of collecting than you do in 40 years. That's not at all what I told you. You tried to make some ridiculous claim that by having games on route before they are in the hands of collectors, it would find the games bugs faster, and improve the product. I told you that's not at all true because collectors pay close attention to every detail, every rule, and know the game inside and out from a game-play perspective much more than most route operators. Route operators tend to spend their time setting the game up and keeping it running. Not playing it. I pointed out that collectors take every software update, the day it comes out and test it thoroughly where route operators tend to just stick games out on route and leave them be, unupdated.

The best part of this was when I then used an example of a poorly maintained AC/DC Premium out on route that is still running 8 month old software where there is no VIP pass, no color changing inserts implemented, etc. Low and behold, that turned out to be *your* machine and I had no idea when I cited it as an example.

Quoted from 2NDGEN:

If your such a straight up guy why didn't you call me. I'm sure your buddies would have given you my number.

And finally, once more on this. After the fact, I did get your number, and I did call you this morning. I had only one purpose to call you. To apologize if I negatively impacted your business and offer to help to smooth things over. I needed nothing from you and had nothing to gain to offer to help or to call you. I simply wanted to help. See, I never publicized you or anything about you. Sounds like JJP released that information on their forum. Anyway, so I called you. Unfortunately, you were extremely rude on that phone call. A guy calling you asking for nothing but how he can help you, and you're a jerk. Really? Even so, I still left off the conversation saying to let me know if there's anything I can do to help you here.

Finally, you were complaining that "because of my post" you are flooded with phone calls of people wanting to order products. Wow, what a horrible mess that must be for a distributor to all the sudden become known and have people trying to do business with him.

#340 10 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

Jack never revealed who you were talking about... but you did, over a week ago:

Thank you. I actually forgot about that. But even so, if the vendor did nothing wrong, and I never said he did, then why does he feel the need to come here and write his life story to defend himself? A distributor's job is to order games and sell them to the public. So a distributor ordered some games and sold them - doing his job. Why is he the one defending himself? The only question in this thread was always to JJP.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.50
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 16.95
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 91.00
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

13,000 (OBO)
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 5.00
$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markmon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-i-decided-to-pickup-a-woz-today-2-in-fact?tu=markmon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.