Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 162 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by jrivelli
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CAM00621.jpg
    CAM00620.jpg
    CAM00504.jpg
    CAM00503.jpg
    CAM00500.jpg
    CAM00501.jpg
    2012-10-15_17.06.18.jpg
    2012-10-10_12.22.32.jpg
    2012-10-10_12.23.12.jpg
    2012-10-10_12.23.30.jpg
    2012-10-04_18.35.20.jpg
    2012-10-04_18.35.12.jpg
    2012-10-01_17.38.19.jpg
    2012-10-01_17.37.44.jpg
    2012-09-30_13.20.47.jpg
    2012-09-30_12.22.36.jpg
    There are 162 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 11 years ago

I have this odd space on the side of my house, pretty worthless area overall size wise. I was going to put one of those 10x10 pre-made kit sheds from lowes or home depot for lawn mower, yard tools etc.

Then I had a better idea to scrap the crappy pre-made shed and build one to contour to the area and really maximize it. No clue what I'm doing 100%. Grabbed a book from Lowes and started building and of course it way out grew the 10x10, lol.

2012-09-20_11.18.34.jpg2012-09-20_11.18.34.jpg 2012-09-18_16.52.55.jpg2012-09-18_16.52.55.jpg 2012-09-18_12.44.05.jpg2012-09-18_12.44.05.jpg

#2 11 years ago

I appreciate all the advice I receive here on pinside ,so with that said I'm a recently retired from the trade Home Builder.If you get stuck, PM me and I'll do my best to advise you. Good Luck,Great Project!

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

I have this odd space on the side of my house, pretty worthless area overall size wise. I was going to put one of those 10x10 pre-made kit sheds from lowes or home depot for lawn mower, yard tools etc.
    Then I had a better idea to scrap the crappy pre-made shed and build one to contour to the area and really maximize it. No clue what I'm doing 100%. Grabbed a book from Lowes and started building and of course it way out grew the 10x10, lol.

Cool. How big will it be?

#4 11 years ago

Please keep sending pix of the build...

Photographer.gifPhotographer.gif

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

that's what she said

#6 11 years ago

Nice. Happy building. I am jealous, seems like a cool undertaking

#7 11 years ago

Sweet man! have fun, Ive been meaning to build myself a nice detached garage for a while now but Im too busy working on other peoples houses.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

Out here in Ca. the building dept. would have already red tagged that shed.
    No bigger than 120 sq. ft. without a permit and then there are the setbacks from the property lines.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Out here in Ca. the building dept. would have already red tagged that shed.
    No bigger than 120 sq. ft. without a permit and then there are the setbacks from the property lines.

If its not permanently attached to the ground you might be able to bypass permits, not sure about the size issue though.....then tell them to get the F off your property

#10 11 years ago

They wouldn't let you do that out here and my neighbor tried the GTFO my property or I will throw you off it, the swat team showed up and beat the shit out of him and hauled him to jail.
    We live in a police state and everything is a terrorist threat, that is what they charged him with.
    They came out tore down the shed and put the cost on his property taxes.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

They wouldn't let you do that out here and my neighbor tried the GTFO my property or I will throw you off it, the swat team showed up and beat the shit out of him and hauled him to jail.
    We live in a police state and everything is a terrorist threat, that is what they charged him with.

Your kidding??

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Government gone wild......Cali must be crazy, anyone else have issues like that in states they live in?

#13 11 years ago

If it isn't the state or town ordinances it's the freaking homeowner's associations now. I used to live in one and everything had to meet architectural approval, which meant everything in the neighborhood matched cookie cutter. You couldn't put up a fence without it meeting certain height, type of wood, color of wood (natural, no white pickets), space between pickets, etc. I hated it. Granted, it kept fuchsia painted houses out of the neighborhood, but the power hungry committees took it to the extreme.

#14 11 years ago

Would not surprise me, Cali has pretty strict laws. The high population creates some very tough laws. I was in Cali for training a few years ago and someone that lived there said they would love to have a firepit on their deck, the problem was how the start the logs. I suggested paper, such as...newspaper and they looked at me like I was insane, then informed me about the fines for burning recyclables. Pretty crazy when one can't light his fire with paper.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from pdman:

Your kidding??

No I am not, there is a law and a fine for everything.
    They just made hwy 18 a headlights on during daylight hwy, if I run to the hardware store and cross the road I and forget to turn on my lights it is a 350 dollar fine and points against my lic. and my insurance goes up.
    It is a total police state run amok.

#16 11 years ago

Do you want to see what they do if you roll a stop sign in our town?

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

It is a total police state run amok.

WoW! Cal used to be the Place to let it All Hang Out, But I guess when you put retreads like Brown back in for Gov and your State Budget is fast going the way of Greece, you can expect more taxes, fees and fines. Not to mention the JackBoots on your head.
    Might be time to move out of State.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from pdman:

WoW! Cal used to be the Place to let it All Hang Out, But I guess when you put retreads like Brown back in for Gov and your State Budget is fast going the way of Greece, you can expect more taxes, fees and fines. Not to mention the JackBoots on your head.

I never got the point why Californians voted for the Brett Favre of politics(JB) over a CEO of a well known company(Meg Whitman).

And then this comes up:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/28/intellectual-disability-bill-replace-retarded_n_1837476.html

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from pdman:

Might be time to move out of State.

We plan on closing the biz in 2014 and getting out, in the meantime I don't go anywhere unless I have to.
    Nobody talks to the sheriffs anymore and when we get ripped off nobody makes reports.
    We are more afraid of them than the thieves so we don't call.

#20 11 years ago

I would put in a lot more cross braces in your flooring if you did not already. It will sag quickly without them.

#21 11 years ago

We've done the same thing in MassHoleChusetts! You can't say the R word anymore.
    It's gone way overboard, the PC stuff.

What's really sad is that here in MA the Revolution started. There is so much History here and great Men that came from here, Sam Adams,Hancock, Revere, John Adams , on and on.
    Now the birthplace of the Revolution is going downhill as well. We have some of the worse State PoLIEticians here, they have made a disgrace of a once Great State.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from pdman:

We've done the same thing in MassHoleChusetts! You can't say the R word anymore.
    It's gone way overboard, the PC stuff.

Agreed. I think someone needs to get rid of the stupid politicians and replace them with actual PEOPLE!!!! Or least force them to read this book over and over again:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Idiots-Guide-Government-Politics/dp/1592578535

#23 11 years ago

Best of luck on the build. I'm currently in the midst of building a 10' x 16' pinball/cigar shack in my yard. Will post some pics when complete.

How many machines are you looking to put in there?

#24 11 years ago

Dont forget to insulate the floor before you lay the ply down. Also stuff the walls and ceiling. I had a pin shed and it was tough regulating the temp in there. You want to make sure your pins stay healthy out there!

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Crazed:

Would not surprise me, Cali has pretty strict laws. The high population creates some very tough laws. I was in Cali for training a few years ago and someone that lived there said they would love to have a firepit on their deck, the problem was how the start the logs. I suggested paper, such as...newspaper and they looked at me like I was insane, then informed me about the fines for burning recyclables. Pretty crazy when one can't light his fire with paper.

If county animal control deems your dog to be vicious they mandate an 8' chain link fence and you have 30 days to comply.
    County building code says no more than 6' on the sides and back, 4' in the front.
    If you comply with one you are fined by the other.
    Laws written by the Mad Hatter.
    The ones that can afford to leave have already done so in droves, Ca. is a slow motion train wreck and no way to fix it.

#26 11 years ago

Plywood is only rigid in one direction, the two sheets in the front are running the proper way, the one in the back is not.

#27 11 years ago

Must be a Sad Town to live in tracelifter , My bro-n-Law is a City cop ( Sargent ) He tell's me alot of stories ,, Most White Cops are Racist , i know that 4-a-Fact . My neighbor 2 houses up in a City Cop , but he's been Promoted to Narcotics Squad ( Interstate ) He get's to bring his Charger home w/ him now .. BadAzz car !! He drove down to pay me for a weed-eater that i sold him a week earlier , He was LATE bring-n me the $ , when he arrived I told him , " Dam , I thought I was Gonna have to call the Law on Ya .. ,

// Error: Image 44894 not found // // Error: Image 44895 not found //

#28 11 years ago

Ca is a great state to live in if you can afford it! Its just too expensive. Im a blue collar guy and can barely afford it. Guess I'll be moving to Nevada or New Mexico in a couple of years. Well, at least I get more for my money so I should have more rooms for my Pins!!

#29 11 years ago

Out here in Oregon (where the shed is being built) we are allowed up to 200 sq feet without a permit for a separate structure. It must be 6 feet from the property line and some distance from the house. If you exceed this or add power then it requires permits. Pretty likely you can get away from getting them though.

#30 11 years ago

If you're doing electrical, which I'm assuming since you'll have pins, pull the permit. If you power that structure from your home distribution box and it catches on fire, or worse causes a fire to your home, you're homeowner's won't cover it because of illegal electrical install. We had neighbor's who had an unpermitted basement finish, and the house burned down. It was a nightmare for them.

#31 11 years ago

Permits aren't expensive (at least where I live). I am having a structure built in my backyard. I took $600 with me to get permits... walked out with a little over $500 still in my pocket.

#32 11 years ago

Robertmee is on it. If you need electricity in the building you are better to just jump through the hoops. Safer in the long run. I do not have a permit for my shed but it is small and I have it all hooked up with solar panel lights =-) no need for electricity.
    I would also consider a concrete pad be poured rather than a wood floor. (do to weight issues)

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

I never got the point why Californians voted for the Brett Favre of politics(JB) over a CEO of a well known company(Meg Whitman).

dont be a dumbarse and put down a HOF'er ab non football related stuff. i dont care about the tmz of someones life when it comes to football players. as long as they are not killing anything. your still cool though kwik

#34 11 years ago

Not to get back OT but I do hope those are pressire treated 4x6s. Assuming they are I also assume you are nailing each joist to the 4x6. Are the 4x6s connected to the ground? Also, looking at your 1st pic and the orientation of the plywood, they should run staggered all running perpendicular to your joist. If I would glue and screw it using a subfloor adhesive. I prefer PL glue if you can it. Also concerning the pressure treated 4x6, you should use fasteners compatible with pressure treated lumber.

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Do you want to see what they do if you roll a stop sign in our town?

Just watched the video this Morning. Terrible what happened.
    Trace, has there been any update to this story?
    OT here but I base everything off of our Constitution and Bill of Rights. Unfortunately, over the last 30 plus years our rights have been severely eroded. It's to the point where you might as well wipe your ass with the Constitution, considering what the PoLIEticians and Courts have done.

On a positive note, looks like beautiful country where you live.
    I hope the Family and Community gets some real Justice regarding this killing of an Innocent man!

#36 11 years ago

Licensed GC here. Even though you're going for technically a portable structure, You'll still need permits/code compliance for the electrical. Realize that an un-permitted structure is often a detractor when you're trying to resell. Although an un-permitted addition to the house is much worse than a shed. Also, realize that if you have a tornado/hurricane/earthquake that thing will blow away with all your pins in it. Even if I made a "temporary" shed I would put posts in concrete to give it a fighting chance not to fold in a storm. Even if you avoid a permit, check your side and rear setbacks for your lot - they can make you move or tear down if you encroach on them. Sometimes they are zero and not a problem, but often they're 5-10 feet off the sides or back lot line.

All hand wringing aside- looks cool and most likely will be much more enjoyment than problem. I'd put a mini split AC unit in there to keep the conditions consistent.

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from pdman:

Just watched the video this Morning. Terrible what happened.
    Trace, has there been any update to this story?
    OT here but I base everything off of our Constitution and Bill of Rights. Unfortunately, over the last 30 plus years our rights have been severely eroded. It's to the point where you might as well wipe your ass with the Constitution, considering what the PoLIEticians and Courts have done.
    On a positive note, looks like beautiful country where you live.
    I hope the Family and Community gets some real Justice regarding this killing of an Innocent man!

Swept under the rug, sheriffs got 3 days suspension with pay, still "protecting and serving" but transferred off the hill due to death threats.

#38 11 years ago

Sad video, to compound the issue of public employee's being Aholes to good people, suing the sheriff dept. further screws the taxpayers as they foot the bill. Zero accountability is the way our government functions, makes me sick.

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

If it isn't the state or town ordinances it's the freaking homeowner's associations now. I used to live in one and everything had to meet architectural approval, which meant everything in the neighborhood matched cookie cutter. You couldn't put up a fence without it meeting certain height, type of wood, color of wood (natural, no white pickets), space between pickets, etc. I hated it. Granted, it kept fuchsia painted houses out of the neighborhood, but the power hungry committees took it to the extreme.

I was glad to get away from the HOA and their ridiculous rules. To get an idea of an HOA from hell, read "The Association" by Bentley Little.

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

It's an odd size because I wanted to construct it to contour to the area and meet codes. Luckily for us in Oregon they are much less strict than cali.

Start from the front of it by the house (long side and going around it clockwise)
    It's 21x6x10x12x10

Also, I have already wired electrical against the fence going into my backyard. So, after reading codes I'm getting around not getting a permit by wiring the shed and then making that wiring simply plug into the outside wiring so the shed is like a giant plugged in device, lol

And in regards to the HOA. We have a 3 member team caled Architectural review committee. As you can imagine, I am on it and so is my neighbor, who I've known for 20 years and one of my best buddies. Works out well

Also, in that pic, only one sheet of plywood is attached, the other 2 are just sitting there.

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from TopJimmyCooks:

Licensed GC here. Even though you're going for technically a portable structure, You'll still need permits/code compliance for the electrical. Realize that an un-permitted structure is often a detractor when you're trying to resell. Although an un-permitted addition to the house is much worse than a shed. Also, realize that if you have a tornado/hurricane/earthquake that thing will blow away with all your pins in it. Even if I made a "temporary" shed I would put posts in concrete to give it a fighting chance not to fold in a storm. Even if you avoid a permit, check your side and rear setbacks for your lot - they can make you move or tear down if you encroach on them. Sometimes they are zero and not a problem, but often they're 5-10 feet off the sides or back lot line.
    All hand wringing aside- looks cool and most likely will be much more enjoyment than problem. I'd put a mini split AC unit in there to keep the conditions consistent.

In my 25 years in Oregon we have had winds over 50mph maybe like once? Maybe never, not sure. We don't have tornados, hurricanes etc. Just rain, pretty moderate otherwise which is nice

Oh, and I plan to put a heater in it and ac unit

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Out here in Oregon (where the shed is being built) we are allowed up to 200 sq feet without a permit for a separate structure. It must be 6 feet from the property line and some distance from the house. If you exceed this or add power then it requires permits. Pretty likely you can get away from getting them though.

I had the diea for the shed for a while, after seeing yours I decided to just make it happen. You should roll out to this side of town some day and check'er out

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

In my 25 years in Oregon we have had winds over 50mph maybe like once? Maybe never, not sure. We don't have tornados, hurricanes etc. Just rain, pretty moderate otherwise which is nice
    Oh, and I plan to put a heater in it and ac unit

You're not going to put a heater/ac unit AND pinballs and run them off the one outdoor outlet you're planning on using. Most likely that outdoor outlet is on a 15A breaker and that's it. I get trying to avoid a permit and being creative, but think more long term and what will give you more flexibility. Are you going to have lights? Are you going to heat/cool the space? Have multiple pins? Have power tools (sanders, compressors, etc. to work on pins). Have a fridge or kegerator? I would pull a $40 permit and run a 40A 220V circuit out there instead of scabbing off an outdoor outlet. Just my 2c and not trying to break your balls. Just speaking from experience (I ran a 60A 220V feed to my boathouse underground 300'...cost me alot of copper, but well worth it in the long run).

#44 11 years ago

How many pins are you planning to run in your building? Any heating/cooling? How about lighting? How far is the electrical feed from the box?

If it were mine I'd plan for expansion and make sure there's a solid 10 or even 8gauge run depending on length.

I have a similar setup in my back yard, but I have a pre-fab 10x20 building for "stuff". I've ran automatic yard lighting several years ago with an outlet maybe 20 feet away from my building. The lighting run is 12gauge wire, about 150 feet in length with the outlet on the far end. It works great for the yard lighting, but if I want to operate power tools in the building, I run a heavy duty extension cord and plug the building in which makes the outlets live. For safety, I have driven a 6ft grounding rod next to the building and connected it to the grounding circuit of the outlets.

I am severely limited to the type of power tool I operate in the out building because of the length and gauge of wire. For example I have this exact (small) table saw:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1v/R-202517808/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=table+saw&storeId=10051#.UF388FF32So

It barely works adequately for cutting lumber out in my building while it works fine plugged into the house. If I were to put pins in there, only a couple would work along with lighting etc.

You might be able to circumvent local electrical codes by plugging your building in, but there's other things to consider.

Also security.
    I would plan to put in a low voltage wire run from the building to the house for an alarm. Alarms do not need to be expensive, you can be creative. A simple fish line strung across the inside of the building connected to a switch when the structure is not in use serves as an effective motion detector. (Walk into the string and sets off the alarm) There's inexpensive door switches etc.

Sometimes burglars/vandals will enter a building through a back wall. They like to find a concealed hidden area where they can take their time and work the wall.
    The same string idea, strung through small holes in the wall studs could serve the same purpose as the one on the inside. Penetrate the wall and set off the alarm.

Your alarm device inside your home can be a buzzer or bell. Or, of course you could always go with a professional installation. Loud games will advertise their location to anyone who can hear them. Some (bad) people equate games with cash and bring a wrecking bar to access coin boxes. I would never place a number of expensive pins out in a yard without some form of protection.
    (I am not sure if this was a consideration or not)

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

You're not going to put a heater/ac unit AND pinballs and run them off the one outdoor outlet you're planning on using. Most likely that outdoor outlet is on a 15A breaker and that's it. I get trying to avoid a permit and being creative, but think more long term and what will give you more flexibility. Are you going to have lights? Are you going to heat/cool the space? Have multiple pins? Have power tools (sanders, compressors, etc. to work on pins). Have a fridge or kegerator? I would pull a $40 permit and run a 40A 220V circuit out there instead of scabbing off an outdoor outlet. Just my 2c and not trying to break your balls. Just speaking from experience (I ran a 60A 220V feed to my boathouse underground 300'...cost me alot of copper, but well worth it in the long run).

It is a single outlet 20amp. Ran it for a shed. I keep all my real nice pins in the den in the house. So, I plan to have all pins I'm working on in here. Doubtful I will drain that much. I am right next to the garage and the box so I can run another 20 amp line if I feel it's not enough

#46 11 years ago
    Quoted from SteveFury:

How many pins are you planning to run in your building? Any heating/cooling? How about lighting? How far is the electrical feed from the box?
    If it were mine I'd plan for expansion and make sure there's a solid 10 or even 8gauge run depending on length.
    I have a similar setup in my back yard, but I have a pre-fab 10x20 building for "stuff". I've ran automatic yard lighting several years ago with an outlet maybe 20 feet away from my building. The lighting run is 12gauge wire, about 150 feet in length with the outlet on the far end. It works great for the yard lighting, but if I want to operate power tools in the building, I run a heavy duty extension cord and plug the building in which makes the outlets live. For safety, I have driven a 6ft grounding rod next to the building and connected it to the grounding circuit of the outlets.
    I am severely limited to the type of power tool I operate in the out building because of the length and gauge of wire. For example I have this exact (small) table saw:
    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1v/R-202517808/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=table+saw&storeId=10051#.UF388FF32So
    It barely works adequately for cutting lumber out in my building while it works fine plugged into the house. If I were to put pins in there, only a couple would work along with lighting etc.
    You might be able to circumvent local electrical codes by plugging your building in, but there's other things to consider.
    Also security.
    I would plan to put in a low voltage wire run from the building to the house for an alarm. Alarms do not need to be expensive, you can be creative. A simple fish line strung across the inside of the building connected to a switch when the structure is not in use serves as an effective motion detector. (Walk into the string and sets off the alarm) There's inexpensive door switches etc.
    Sometimes burglars/vandals will enter a building through a back wall. They like to find a concealed hidden area where they can take their time and work the wall.
    The same string idea, strung through small holes in the wall studs could serve the same purpose as the one on the inside. Penetrate the wall and set off the alarm.
    Your alarm device inside your home can be a buzzer or bell. Or, of course you could always go with a professional installation. Loud games will advertise their location to anyone who can hear them. Some (bad) people equate games with cash and bring a wrecking bar to access coin boxes. I would never place a number of expensive pins out in a yard without some form of protection.
    (I am not sure if this was a consideration or not)

All good thoughts. I already run security cameras around the house with motion sensor lighting and this building is fenced in so just a mess to get to over all. I mean, burglars are welcome to come on over, but they will have quite the surprise lol

#47 11 years ago

Updated pic with 3 of the walls framed and up. Got the one window framed up as well I'm going to put in

2012-09-22_13.41.45.jpg2012-09-22_13.41.45.jpg

#48 11 years ago

Semi-slow progress over the week as I was trying to plan the roof with the odd shape.

Finally got all the walls framed up and bough the siding panels, which you can see are laying all over. Hoping to get those in this evening

2012-09-26_12.04.02.jpg2012-09-26_12.04.02.jpg

#49 11 years ago

lookin good, how many pins do you think could comfortably go in there?

you're inspiring me...

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

lookin good, how many pins do you think could comfortably go in there?
    you're inspiring me...

Well, the way I did the foundation would probably be my limiting factor. I have a den area that is 12x12 when you first go into my house. This is where I keep my pins currently, but the wife haaaates it when I work on them in there, and so do I. Just messy and takes forever going in and out of garage.

I probably could fit a solid 8 pins in there comfortably, but I would guess I'm going to put in no more than 3 - 5 at once. I want some good space to flipper rebuild, LED, instal subs, swap PF if needed etc etc

There are 162 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-i-decided-to-build-a-pinball-shed-today and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.