(Topic ID: 207836)

So I cut some wires and now I don't know where they go...

By ypurchn

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by ypurchn
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

trafo.jpg
IMG_5144 (resized).JPG (© ypurchn)
IMG_5141 (resized).JPG (© ypurchn)
IMG_5143 (resized).JPG (© ypurchn)
#1 6 years ago

OK to make a long story short, I was trying to repair a board hack on my BTTF power supply board where the previous owner had removed the molex connector, hard-soldered the wires to the board and shoved in butt splices about 6" from the board. When I was cutting the wires out, I realized that there were a few wires that were the same colors, so I wrapped black tape around 1 of each wire (orange and white). Took my boards to the electronic repair shop and told him to make sure that the wires ended up back in the same spot. I didn't take any pictures of the wires at this point (shame on ME!, after taking 20+ pictures of the wires BEFORE I put on the tape). To make a long story short, 4 weeks later I picked up my boards and I was handed a pile of wires that were not connected to the board. The repair shop had not taken any pictures so I was SOL.

The orange wires tie back into the same connector so those are good.

The white wires come off of connector CN1 (pins 4 and 9) on the power supply board and snake their way down to the 12 pin connector (pins 2 and 3) downstream of the transformer. Coming off one end the transformer 1 wire is white/red and the other end of the transformer is a white/yellow wire and they both become white. Assuming 1 end of the transformer is hot and the other is neutral. I can't find a good description in any DE manual (DE simp, POTO, BTTF, etc) to actually tell me which white/yellow(red) is hot or neutral so I can't fix this.

IMO the easiest thing to do is do a quick continuity check between CN1 pin 4 or 9 and the 12 pin connector downstream of the transformer and check pins 2 and 3. If someone could do this it would be AWESOME. If someone has a better approach, please let me know.

PLEASE HELP!

IMG_5143 (resized).JPGIMG_5143 (resized).JPG

IMG_5141 (resized).JPGIMG_5141 (resized).JPG

IMG_5144 (resized).JPGIMG_5144 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Look at your schematic.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

The white wires come off of connector CN1 (pins 4 and 9) on the power supply board and snake their way down to the 12 pin connector (pins 2 and 3) downstream of the transformer.

The BttF over here has 2 white wires on pin 1+2 at the 12pin transformer connector, the same as the manual describes.
There is 90Vac across the 2 pins for display power.
They are going to CN1 pin 4+9 on the powersupply board.

trafo.jpgtrafo.jpg

If you have different wiring connection, don't put the power on the machine.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Look at your schematic.

Quoted from ypurchn:

I can't find a good description in any DE manual (DE simp, POTO, BTTF, etc) to actually tell me which white/yellow(red) is hot or neutral so I can't fix this.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

The BttF over here has 2 white wires on pin 1+2 at the 12pin transformer connector, the same as the manual describes.
There is 90Vac across the 2 pins for display power.
They are going to CN1 pin 4+9 on the powersupply board.

If you have different wiring connection, don't put the power on the machine.

Thanks zaza. It probably is pins 1 and 2 on mine because I remember thinking it was weird that the male(non standard) was on pin 3.

The issue I’ve run into is I don’t know if pins 1 and 2 run to pin 4 or pin 9 on CN1. Or are you saying it doesn’t matter?

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

I don’t know if pins 1 and 2 run to pin 4 or pin 9 on CN1.

It doesn't matter. This is a single winding from the transformer.
Here X-former pin1 goes to CN1-9 and is put to GND on PS-board
and X-former pin2 goes to CN1-4 and is rectified.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

It doesn't matter. This is a single winding from the transformer.
Here X-former pin1 goes to CN1-9 and is put to GND on PS-board
and X-former pin2 goes to CN1-4 and is rectified.

Got it! Thanks for the quick help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-i-cut-some-wires-and-now-i-dont-know-where-they-go and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.