Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20151005_201318.jpg
20151005_201158.jpg
Unknown.jpeg
nordstrom_mens_shop_daily_blog_spring_essentials_aviator_sunglasses_tom_cruise_3.jpg
image.jpeg
There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Is there more info about fixing this problem? I can see how bulbs falling out during game play would be a bad thing. Does anyone have pic's showing their solution, that they'd like to share?

Wrap some teflon tape under the wire prongs of the bulb, they will be much more snug.

Unknown.jpegUnknown.jpeg

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

A lot of people love Cliffy's, i'm not one of them, especially for a HUO environment but its whatever floats your boat.

I have an HUO RS with hole damage. If a cliffy is available, buy it.....

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Don't buy a bunch of cheap plastic crap and stick it all over the playfield and call it a "mod"...just my opinion...probably will get me a -3x down vote smiley top secret probation or some such

Is there any greater joy than shoving an LED up a Mattel figurine's ass then placing it somewhere on the playfield?

Well I guess maybe shoving an LED up it's ass, then selling it for $100 to someone who doesn't know how to, yet thinks it looks cool......

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Is there any greater joy than shoving an LED up a Mattel figurine's ass then placing it somewhere on the playfield?
Well I guess maybe shoving an LED up it's ass, then selling it for $100 to someone who doesn't know how to, yet thinks it looks cool......

You had me at ass.

#55 8 years ago

Here's my thoughs so far; I'm going to just play it outta the box for now but when there needed I'm going to change the rubbers to colour matching Titan bands. I'll probably get a shaker sooner or later. Adventually I'll get some invisiglass (that stuff kicks ass). I'm a fan of custom shooter rods, so I'll wait and see what Brock (pinball customs) comes out with, hopefully a cool sword or hand of the King shooter rod. I'll wait and see what comes out for mods after that but most likely I'll look into light up flipper buttons too.

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Here's my thoughs so far; I'm going to just play it outta the box for now but when there needed I'm going to change the rubbers to colour matching Titan bands. I'll probably get a shaker sooner or later. Adventually I'll get some invisiglass (that stuff kicks ass). I'm a fan of custom shooter rods, so I'll wait and see what Brock (pinball customs) comes out with, hopefully a cool sword or hand of the King shooter rod. I'll wait and see what comes out for mods after that but most likely I'll look into light up flipper buttons too.

I remember that as soon as I had my new pin, I loved it so much that I wanted to do stuff and buy stuff for it.
Waxing/cleaning the play field, buying extra flipper and slingshot rubbers... you name it.
Looking back, it was mostly wasted time and money. I enjoyed doing it, so no biggie -but it didn't need to be done is all.
I agree that new pinballs are a good idea. Otherwise, maybe get a couple sets of flipper rubbers. Titan Rings AND Super Bands. They play very different but both look great. They're a very cheap option and give you a little customization fun.
Remember that you can always buy more stuff later.

Lastly, if you feel like I did and just want to get even more out of the pin, spend some time ignoring the rules and actual game and just focus on your flipper skills. Watch some tutorials (Papa pinball website) to see how the Pros play.

Enjoy!

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

it was mostly wasted time and money. I enjoyed doing it, so no biggie

I enjoy messing around with pins as much as playing, and I've wasted money on useless upgrades on older games too. But since this one has colour changing led's I at least won't have to swap them out. I haven't seen any great mods for GoT, and I plan to wait a while before adding anything to the game. It's not like Tron, where some mods just make sence, like the EL wire ramps or arcade mod.

Quoted from Chambahz:

Titan Rings AND Super Bands. They play very different but both look great.

I've had super bands on other games and liked the feel of them, plus the added colour is nice. The Titan rings seem to get great reviews, so I'll probably get them this time. It's a cheap upgrade, so I'll likely play around with some different colours.

Quoted from Chambahz:

spend some time ignoring the rules and actual game and just focus on your flipper skills. Watch some tutorials (Papa pinball website) to see how the Pros play.

After watching Lyman play on the dead flip video, I feel inadequate. I've been playing pinball at home for about 3 years and have gotten a lot better in that time, but I don't plan on playing competitively.

1 week later
#58 8 years ago

20151005_201158.jpg20151005_201158.jpg
20151005_201318.jpg20151005_201318.jpg
This is what I use on all of my spotlights to prevent the bulbs falling out. Virtually invisible when you're playing and doesn't change the angle/brightness of the light emitted

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

20151005_201158.jpg
20151005_201318.jpg
This is what I use on all of my spotlights to prevent the bulbs falling out. Virtually invisible when you're playing and doesn't change the angle/brightness of the light emitted

Who has these for sale?

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Who has these for sale?

I'd like to know that too. These look great

#61 8 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Who has these for sale?

Not sure these are available commercially, a friend makes them. I'll speak with him tonight and see if he has a distributor, otherwise it's likely to be cost prohibitive to send to the US from the UK.

(Unless any US distributor wants to purchase a shed load of them?)

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

it's likely to be cost prohibitive to send to the US from the UK.

This is pinball. Here in Canada it not unlikely to spend $20 shipping for $10 worth of parts. I'd be interested in a handful of these if they become available.

#63 8 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

20151005_201158.jpg
20151005_201318.jpg

Know where to get some that fit the new stern flasher bulbs? Looks like this won't fit the new ones. Great product though!

#64 8 years ago

It fits ALL types of bulbs and flashers in spots, that what the slot is for. It can be moved in and out, dependent on the size of the bulb.

It can be bought from www.1stoppinball.com.
Although you may have to email Mel, as I can't see a direct link to them.

#65 8 years ago

New balls and protectors out of the box especially plastic protectors.

#66 8 years ago

I wouldn't on a SPIKE game. The sound is already pretty good out of the box.

Rob

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I hear what your saying. I've had both and both are great. I guess in my mind an external sub being used for 2 pins is about the best mod for the money. I like big bass (which is why I have a Danley DTS-10 in my theater )

I also like big bass (which is why I have 4 12" infinite baffle Fi's running on 4000 watts in my theater that meter to 10hz flat). I hate external subs hanging out of the machine. You can get fantastic bass out of an internal crossed over sub that's efficient and running using the cabinet as an oversized speaker box (further deepening the resonation frequency of the speaker).

Quoted from Rob_G:

I wouldn't on a SPIKE game. The sound is already pretty good out of the box.
Rob

The spike sound is decent because the sound is now sampled at cd quality and in stereo. Even more so now are better speakers going to benefit than before.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Know where to get some that fit the new stern flasher bulbs? Looks like this won't fit the new ones. Great product though!

Those came hot glued in this round.

Quoted from TaylorVA:

New balls and protectors out of the box especially plastic protectors.

Why does everyone recommend new pinballs? The balls stern provides are fine. You just have to clean them. They seem dull and dingy. But clean them with glass cleaner and they shine just like any polished new pinball from Marco or Pinballlife. I put all four in a towel and spray then at once. Wipe each a bit as I insert into the machine. They look great.

#68 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Why does everyone recommend new pinballs? The balls stern provides are fine. You just have to clean them. They seem dull and dingy. But clean them with glass cleaner and they shine just like any polished new pinball from Marco or Pinballlife. I put all four in a towel and spray then at once. Wipe each a bit as I insert into the machine. They look great.

If it's a game with magnets you definitely want to change them. The stern balls were getting stuck in the coffin lock on my MET Premium because they got really magnetized.

Rob

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Those came hot glued in this round

Hot glued in GOT? Didn't fix anything. They still fall out.

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

If it's a game with magnets you definitely want to change them. The stern balls were getting stuck in the coffin lock on my MET Premium because they got really magnetized.
Rob

I dunno. I use stock balls in games with magnets and they're not magnetizing at all. Maybe they use different batches of balls.

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Why does everyone recommend new pinballs? The balls stern provides are fine.

Under magnification, you can see that the Stern balls are not as highly polished as the "super shiny" balls.

The higher the polish, the less abrasive the balls are to the playfield.

Shiny balls are only $1.50, so it's probably the cheapest 3 ounces of prevention you can buy.

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Under magnification, you can see that the Stern balls are not as highly polished as the "super shiny" balls.
The higher the polish, the less abrasive the balls are to the playfield.
Shiny balls are only $1.50, so it's probably the cheapest 3 ounces of prevention you can buy.

The NIB Avengers I bought, the balls already had rust deposits all over them.

#73 8 years ago

I make them. They are sold via 1 stop as per the link. Zero lamps come out so far with them fitted.

Quoted from WJxxxx:

It fits ALL types of bulbs and flashers in spots, that what the slot is for. It can be moved in and out, dependent on the size of the bulb.
It can be bought from http://www.1stoppinball.com.
Although you may have to email Mel, as I can't see a direct link to them.

#74 8 years ago

I ordered my first add-on today. I have some plastic protectors coming, I figured there a safe investment. I decided to try out the blue ones to match the Pre game. Hopefully they look good.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Tuscaloosa, AL
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Advance, NC
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burnt Cabins, PA
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-i-bought-a-nib-stern-tell-me-about-the-upsell/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.