• Latest reply 9 years ago by tp
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

JP fuse.JPG
#1 9 years ago

all because i wanted for seller to meet me halfway. never good idea. biggest issue so far is the insert lighting is not working. changed fuses checked connectors no luck. strange that tha ball return insert on either side works. any ideas?

#2 9 years ago

ive bough sight unseen many times as long as the machine is complete and the price is right. Everything else can be fixed... so thats not so bad given the above.

Sounds like a column or row drive issue with the lighting. Could be a major short somewhere... or also check for voltage at all the lamps on the board.

#3 9 years ago

OH this is bound to be an interesting thread. with that said.... good luck and hope you are on the upper end of this transaction

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from tp:

strange that tha ball return insert on either side works. any ideas?

FYI - I think these are GI lights (the ball return inserts).

#5 9 years ago

rad.... you think the 2 cicular inserts in return lanes are gi? im not talking about slingshot gi or inbetween lanes. im talking colored circular inserts in lanes 1 each side. thanks for any and all the suggestions so far.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from tp:

rad.... you think the 2 cicular inserts in return lanes are gi? im not talking about slingshot gi or inbetween lanes. im talking colored circular inserts in lanes 1 each side. thanks for any and all the suggestions so far.

Yes, those are GI and are always on. Watch when you first power up the game...they come on right away. The other inserts are controlled.

#7 9 years ago

in that case then none of contolled lighting is working. seller claims they were working when machine left his house.

#8 9 years ago

Start here. A few easy things to check before rolling up your sleeves.
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/desega/index3.htm

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from tp:

in that case then none of contolled lighting is working. seller claims they were working when machine left his house.

Does it boot up? Does Trex do his diagnostics test when booting? Can you get into the test menu? Need some more info...

#10 9 years ago

yes it boots up, and seems to start up normal with the exception of all insert lights not coming on, gi lighting does come on. test menu says no errors. everything works properly. trex goes into diagnostic mode when turned on.

#11 9 years ago

double check the fuse holder. It could be cracked.

#12 9 years ago

not sure its connected to problem, but dmd takes a few minutes for full display on intial startup. once warmed up it comes right on if turned off and turned back on. i think this only happens if been off for long time.

#13 9 years ago

Double check for loose/broken wires or connections. Also maybe try reseating the connections. You said you met the seller half way? If so that's a lot of movement for the machine to go through being loaded, unloaded, loaded, and unloaded again. Things can come loose in transit.

#14 9 years ago

the link above has led me to the f2 fuse. changed cotrol lamp fuses but not sure about this one as it wasnt marked as such.. gonna check now fingers crossed. thanks again.

#15 9 years ago

Joker Poker or Jurassic Park?

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from mot:

Joker Poker or Jurassic Park?

Quoted from tp:

yes it boots up, and seems to start up normal with the exception of all insert lights not coming on, gi lighting does come on. test menu says no errors. everything works properly. trex goes into diagnostic mode when turned on.

Unless Joker Poker has a TREX in it....

#17 9 years ago

jurrasic park, still no controlled lamps.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Unless Joker Poker has a TREX in it....

Hahaha! Whoops!

#19 9 years ago

Bad connections on the ribbon cables or cold solder on the cpu. They could just be burned out. Reseating the roms could also help.

#20 9 years ago

I've had this or something similar happen multiple times while moving games. A connector pulls slightly out when folding the head. Have you double checked all of those? Check the manual for the connector number.

#21 9 years ago

You guys talking about Jungle Princess?

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I've had this or something similar happen multiple times while moving games. A connector pulls slightly out when folding the head. Have you double checked all of those? Check the manual for the connector number.

^^^ This... I remember bringing my second game home, didn't know squat still... Just played it 20 minutes prior, and it wouldn't work... I was frantic, but it was just a connector that came a bit loose when the head was layed down most likely...

#23 9 years ago

Weird.things happen when games get moved.

#24 9 years ago

A fuse for the controlled lamps is mounted on the backbox by the bridges and big blue cap on the left (8A SB). Should be the bottom one of the two.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

A fuse for the controlled lamps is mounted on the backbox by the bridges and big blue cap on the left (8A SB). Should be the bottom one of the two.

Yep, that one is easy to miss. Surely the suspect.

#26 9 years ago

so as far as i know... ive checked all fuses, and all connectors. still no insert lighting. any other suggestions? driving me crazy....aaarrgghh...gonna walk away couple days and start again when frustration level subsides. btw the link above is priceless thanks.

#27 9 years ago

im also starting to suspect the insert lighting didnt work from the beginning even though seller said they did. craigslist, whitesboro ny. anybody happen to see this in person before i bought it?

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from tp:

so as far as i know... ive checked all fuses, and all connectors. still no insert lighting. any other suggestions?

Did you check the one I suggested? It is not on a circuit board, it is in a fuse holder mounted to the back box. If you have checked this one, you need to test the bridge that is connected to it. If the bridge is good, then you need to start running through the schematics and check voltages.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from tp:

im also starting to suspect the insert lighting didnt work from the beginning even though seller said they did. craigslist, whitesboro ny. anybody happen to see this in person before i bought it?

It doesn't do any good to start blaming the seller at this point. You own the game and problem. Focus on solving the problem, once the problem is resolved then reflect on how and when it might have occurred.

The DMD is not related to your controlled lamp problems. Slow to come on indicates it is outgassing and on the way to total failure. In this mode it is stressing the HV power supply.

Since your DMD is working and isn't doing anything odd, this indicates your are getting controlled lamp power
to the power supply board as the 12VDC for the DMD is derived from the controlled lamp supply.

The controlled lamps are operated just like the switches and are in a matrix controlled from the CPU. A majority of the controlled lamps are on CN6 and CN7 from the CPU board. Re-seat these connectors.

CN4 and CN5 are the power in for the controlled lamps on the CPU. Re-seat these connectors. Then get out your meter and measure, meter set to DC voltage, black probe on connector CN5 and red probe on CN4. You should measure 18 Volts. No volts, then go to the power supply.

Check CN5 on the power supply and reseat. Take out your meter and measure the DC voltage at CN5 - Pins 9,10,11,12 are grounds and pins 5,6,7,8 are +18VDC This is the power supply output going to the CPU.

Your problem is likely connector related from the moving process.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from minnesota13:

Since your DMD is working and isn't doing anything odd, this indicates your are getting controlled lamp power to the power supply board as the 12VDC for the DMD is derived from the controlled lamp supply.

Not all DMDs need 12v to work. The DMD may still work and the controlled lamps will not work if the fuse I keep harping about in the backbox is blown. Mine behaves this way. Before he spends a bunch of time chasing down other stuff, I'd just like to verify that he's actually checked this fuse as it is kind of hard to find and is often overlooked. See pic below.

JP fuse.JPGJP fuse.JPG

#31 9 years ago

strangbat... i have checked that fuse... thanks
minnesota... not blaming others just letting others know im not sure they worked before hand as i bought craigslist not from pinsider...and if they didnt work before move might not of caused. as i look back none of pics sent show inserts lit. thanks again gonna try whats suggested within my ability.
the connector pin pic above 3 inches to right and above blue cylinder.... above the f5 fuse and below orange horizontal wires has a hack where as last 2 wires are directly wired to board...
c6 c7 reseated numerous times along with almost every connector.
someone mentioned reseating roms.... yes.. no?
also dmd is all distorted before warm up not just slow....

#32 9 years ago

When you "check" your fuses, are you using a meter set to register continuity? As has been stated times before in different threads, looking good doesn't mean working good for fuses.

Before you mess with re-seating your ROMs you need to measure for voltage. The lack of 12VDC at the DMD is often indicated with a scrambled display which would be indicative of no controlled lamp power.

#33 9 years ago

i have taken every fuse out and reseated with another fuse wether it looked bad or not.

#34 9 years ago

Reseat all your connectors and ribbon cables.

#35 9 years ago

May be a dumb question, but are the bulbs burnt out?

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from tp:

i have taken every fuse out and reseated with another fuse wether it looked bad or not

OK, assuming all your fuses are good, you need to measure your voltage at the power supply. The connectors
at the power supply are typical problems with DE power supplies.

#37 9 years ago

It appears you don't have a meter. Go to the store, Walmart, Radio Shack, Home Depot or Lowes and buy a meter.
Look for auto ranging as they are easier to work with.

If you don't know how to use the meter, we will work with you and you will find how easy it is use and trace problems.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from blowback1976:

That's alot of bulbs but not out of the realm of possibility..... But I agree. Sounds like a connection problem or solder joint. Get a DMM if you don't have one.

#39 9 years ago

I was number 2 inline for this machine. Hope you get things situated it was a great deal.
Thanks
Blake

#40 9 years ago

i do have a cheap multimeter from harbor freight. not sure what to set it on. dca 20 ? if you can walk me through what needs checked, and the setting for meter that would be great. thanks.
and yes i made sure it wasnt bulbs.

#41 9 years ago

Hey tp - First off, yes, the return lane lamps are always on as someone mentioned above. In regards to the inserts, go into test mode and do the all lamps test. Not a single lamp works? I do know that many of the inserts (including the two on top of the ramp gate entrance) do not light during attract mode.

#42 9 years ago

Not so dumb....I have many years experience and recently we had a game come in here with all the bulbs not working. You would think I would have checked the bulbs, wouldn't you? Nope....started diagnosing things in the back box and it turned out that every single bulb was simply burned out! As they always say, check the obvious simple things first!

#43 9 years ago

yes.... i have gone into test mode...all lamps on and not 1 bulb lights. ive replaced a few bulbs with leds just incase they were all burned out. thanks.

#44 9 years ago

Try an actual incandescent bulb, not an LED bulb. LEDs may not work if they're inserted the wrong direction. It's probably not the bulbs, but double-check, anyway.

#45 9 years ago

If it is not a connector, it will be a bad chip or cold solder on a chip. Could also be a bad rectifier. Check CN4 to make sure you are getting 18v.

#46 9 years ago

Your meter:

Connect the probes - Black goes into the "COMMON" Red goes into the ohms (upside down horsehoe), V, hole.

Test the meter:

Turn the dial to the upside down horseshoe, 2 Ohms position.
Touch the ends of the probes together and read the result -- should be 0.0.
Use this setup to test a fuse. One probe on each end of the fuse. should read 0.0 ohms.
which indicates the fuse has good continuity.

If your meter has a dial test position that has the international symbol for a speaker, a series of
right parenthesis growing in size, that is the continuity position that should beep when testing a
good fuse.

Get a 9V battery. Turn the dial to the DC 20V position.
Put the red probe on the + side of the battery terminal and the black probe on - terminal of the battery.
You should read +9 volts or a bit more or less on the meter display. Now reverse the probes on the
battery so you can see the result. It should read a negative (-) 9 volts.

It is important to note that if you attempt to measure voltage with the meter set to measure OHMS, you
will likely blow out the meter. So always double check your meter setting before touching something to measure
voltages.

To make taking voltage measurements easier, having a clip-lead, that is a wire with an alligator clip at each end is a go thing to have.

Now you are ready to test in the machine. Set the meter for measure voltages. We are expecting to read
18VDC or around this number, so the range should be set to 20VDC. Set the meter dial accordingly.

With the machine on, and the backbox open, locate the power supply board. It has the big black finned heat sink attached. It is in the upper left corner of the backbox. The controlled lamp power comes from the power supply board so we are going to make measurements. Locate F4, an 8A Slow Blow Fuse. It is next to F3 which is not used and should be an empty fuse holder.

Locate Test Point 2 (TP2) on the power supply board. This is ground.

Place your black probe on test point TP 2, and the red probe on the top of fuse F4 and read the results.
The move the red probe to the bottom of fuse F4 and read the results.

These board commonly have bad fuse clips. So be aware of this when examining F4.

Let us know the results.

#47 9 years ago

Not such a dumb question. When I got my PinBot, none of the flashers worked. NONE. Went over everything with a fine tooth comb and pulled my hair out for days measuring voltages, checking connections etc. Yup, they were burnt out. Every single one! Replaced them and has been rock solid since.

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from tp:

i have taken every fuse out and reseated with another fuse wether it looked bad or not.

Make sure you know the visual difference between a "fast blow" and "slow blow" fuse here. They are not the same and you should use a "slow blow" fuse here.

Also, going off everything you have typed, you really have no idea if your fuses are still good after you apply power to the game. You will need to check the fuses using the continuity setting on a multimeter to determine if the game is still blowing the fuses or not.

If you want to fix the game yourself, you will need a basic understanding about electronic circuitry. If you have no intention of learning those electrical lessons, then you need to hire someone to fix it. Poking around on Pinside and asking how to fix something may help you gain the knowledge you need to fix your game. However, it can never give you the basic electrical circuitry knowledge the you will need to fix basic pinball problems that are 100% certain to arise again in the future if you own pins. Start with that and it will speed the process up and more pinball people will be willing to help you fix your problems in the future.

#49 9 years ago

minnesota, and others, thanks for all the help so far.... work...family... holiday... has put this on pause. will revisit soon. thank you.

1 week later
#50 9 years ago

connector c1..... i give details soon.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mariposa, CA
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Needville, TX
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-i-bought-a-jp-sight-unseenyea-i-know and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.