(Topic ID: 25871)

So how many Stern titles do you consider as being "unfinished code"?

By Cobray

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by jimjim66
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Just wondering, with reading all the threads on here about code, just how many games do you consider unfinished? Please, this is not a bash fest, but meant to open this up for discussion.

TF will be updated soon?

Tron needs polished?

Is AC/DC good enough now?

X-men- oh hell yeah

IM- could use some polishing for sure

Rolling stones- Not sure anyone cares

What do you guys think? Are there enough programmers to bring the integrity of these games up or will they remain "as is"?

#2 11 years ago

TRON doesn't need anything. Additions by Lyman are fine, but that code is complete.

AC/DC is fine now.

IM is fine by me.

TF needs a good polish.

XM is incomplete.

#3 11 years ago

Still waiting for my Monopoly code update to address the delay in saucer release when first hitting the dice roll after powering up the machine.

/ducks

#4 11 years ago

I am so annoyed with their policies that I have given up giving a shit....

#5 11 years ago

WOF is unfinished.

#6 11 years ago

ACDC is amazing now. My friends played it on Sunday football/pinball day and everyone noticed the differences in the new software right away.

Basically XM needs a big update - and it will be here soon enough. WoF is incomplete. Pretty much everything else from Stern since SAM came out is finished at this point. Better late than never...

#7 11 years ago

IM code is pretty darn good as-is.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

IM code is pretty darn good as-is.

I agree, I don't think IM really needs anything.

#9 11 years ago

Iron man does need tweaking to "do or die multiball" considering its impossible to get to.

#10 11 years ago

I thought Tron has that Extra ball award issue? Or was that fixed?

#11 11 years ago

The only issue I've caught on X-Men is where the Iceman mode sometimes starts when the ball goes down the left outlane.

At least it does it on my friends machine.

#12 11 years ago

There's a huge difference between incomplete, unpolished, and bad. Just because someone may be updating the code or improving upon it doesn't make it unfinished. To that end, I believe the only game unfinished by stern as of today is WoF.

Finished means all the feature are implemented, the wizard modes exist, etc. there are often bugs in finished software and there are often poor decisions made in finished SW. Completed SW is worthy of v1.0.

Acdc - I consider this finished. Hope there are more improvements but it's no longer incomplete. V1.52 should have been v0.90 or something with v1.6 being v1.0.

Xmen - game needs polished. But game is not incomplete. I'd say it's worthy of a v1.0. The 1.1 release we had was worthy of a .6 or something

Transformers - totally done. The fact that we will get an update or that we don't like the rules doesn't make it incomplete. It just makes it bad. Hopefully the coming update improves it a lot.

IM, SM, Tron - totally done, plenty polished.

Quoted from hassellcastle:

Iron Man does need tweaking to "do or die multiball" considering its impossible to get to.

There is absolutely no expectation that an average to decent skilled player should be able to get to every wizard mode in the game. This software is fine as it is and done.

Quoted from RGR:

I am so annoyed with their policies that I have given up giving a shit....

Yes you keep saying this. And it does suck to get stuff like xmen 1.1 was. But having software totally done before shipment and never updated after isn't a good thing either. These systems are very easy to update unlike the old b/w days where you had to buy or burn a rom. Further, having the product totally done means we get what the developers thought was good and they have moved on. In xmen, a lot of community feedback has been applied to v1.2. It's really a great thing for us.

#13 11 years ago

Wheel of Fortune: Deffo unfinished as there's inserts that do nothing
    BDK: Lyman's last update went a long way but the modes are still all the same and need finishing
    IJ4: Unfinished same as BDK
    TF: Had it where it loses the ball in the megatron trough, searches for a bit and then ends the ball, needs recoding.

IM, needs nothing, Avatar, good. TRS, Who cares!

#14 11 years ago

Regarding BDK, the "all modes the same" thing could just be considered poor design, but there is stuff obviously left unfinished - for example Batpod Multiball, which has no introduction/conclusion or mode-specific graphics. Indeed, while playing it you get raw on-screen information such as "mini pf switch".

#15 11 years ago

Iron Man is done and complete to me. However, I think all pins that have extra balls should have one awarded for some accomplishment in the game, not just randomly.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from dmesserly:

Iron Man is done and complete to me. However, I think all pins that have extra balls should have one awarded for some accomplishment in the game, not just randomly.

I like what you have to say. I think Iron Man and Tron codes are finished but I aswell like "earning" an extra ball and not just randomly getting one. But that being said I think IM and Tron are SUPER pins! I'm glad I have them both LOL.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from Cobray:

Just wondering, with reading all the threads on here about code, just how many games do you consider unfinished? Please, this is not a bash fest, but meant to open this up for discussion.
    TF will be updated soon?
    Tron needs polished?
    Is AC/DC good enough now?
    X-men- oh hell yeah
    IM- could use some polishing for sure
    Rolling Stones- Not sure anyone cares
    What do you guys think? Are there enough programmers to bring the integrity of these games up or will they remain "as is"?

Polishing doesn't equal incomplete IMHO. There are lots of games that could use a little something and a couple that could use a lotta something, but the only one that is really missing major stuff and is truly incomplete is WOF.

#18 11 years ago

X-Men is unfinished. Not in need of mere polishing. There is no ultimate Wizard mode, after Danger Room and Dark Phoenix. There are no combo shot awards, despite there being combo shot award settings in the menu. Deadpool mode is not in the game, despite there being a Deadpool mode setting in the menu. This is incomplete.

#19 11 years ago

I agree with Gambit on this one. X-men is fun to play, but based on its own settings and adjustments, its not finished. Clearly the next (full) update will go a long way to "finishing" it.

#20 11 years ago

WOF is the only truly incomplete game that I can think of. I am a little surprised that Stern did not face any type of class action lawsuit as a result of the code. WOF is a game that I will never own because of the game code. There are inserts on the playfield that don't do anything.

#21 11 years ago

How many B/W games have unfinished / buggy code?

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from Bay78:

I like what you have to say. I think Iron Man and Tron codes are finished but I aswell like "earning" an extra ball and not just randomly getting one. But that being said I think IM and Tron are SUPER pins! I'm glad I have them both LOL.

While I mostly agree, you can always go in the settings and award an extra ball instead of a replay award via points.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from xbloodgreenx:

While I mostly agree, you can always go in the settings and award an extra ball instead of a replay award via points.

Thats what I do. But I would much prefer if they would put it in the code and earn it by ? instead of luck.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Finished means all the feature are implemented, the wizard modes exist, etc.

Quoted from markmon:

Xmen - game needs polished. But game is not incomplete.

Deadpool feature is in the menu settings but not the game. Combo shots are not implemented yet either. If these two features were never meant to be part of the game, then I agree it is finished. Since they are part of the menu selection, I can only ascertain that they are meant to be in the game but have not been put in yet.

So I would say it is X-men is unfinished.

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Cactus Canyon - but understandably so....

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

Cactus Canyon - but understandably so...

CV had the home roms added, the game was complete, but had bugs. The home roms came out about 3 years after B/W went out of business. Video mode and game enhancements added. Awesome update that helped make the game a lot better.

So, in the spirit of Stern, maybe I'll just call the home rom a super pack update.

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Considering the difficulty and expense of burning new PROMs compared to a USB load, a lot of the B/W games never got updated. Almost every B/W WPC game that has come through my house has required a software update. To me this means they were shipped before the software was complete and/or polished and never updated. Good thing I have a PROM burner!

John

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from hassellcastle:

Iron Man does need tweaking to "do or die multiball" considering its impossible to get to.

aint it supposed to be really hard to get to do or die...

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

Deadpool feature is in the menu settings but not the game. Combo shots are not implemented yet either. If these two features were never meant to be part of the game, then I agree it is finished. Since they are part of the menu selection, I can only ascertain that they are meant to be in the game but have not been put in yet.
    So I would say it is X-men is unfinished.

Ok I can see this point then. And you'd have another to say if they weren't meant to be in the game, then the menus aren't finished for having items that do nothing

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

And you'd have another to say if they weren't meant to be in the game, then the menus aren't finished for having items that do nothing

Then you could say if the menu's aren't finished, the software that runs the menus is not finished because they are not removed, hence the game is still not finished.

Kind of like putting wood filler over the WOF inserts and saying done. X-men plays great without extra code, and so does WOF, but the question's intent, as I understand it, is if the game is finished.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

Then you could say if the menu's aren't finished, the software that runs the menus is not finished because they are not removed, hence the game is still not finished.

Yep, that was my second point I made for you

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Yep, that was my second point I made for you

Gotcha..., got dizzy over the circular logic and forgot what point I was even taking.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-how-many-stern-titles-do-you-consider-as-being-unfinished-code and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.