3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 240 posts
  • 101 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by DCFAN
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How do you feel about paying to list or sell anything on pinside?”

• Love it, quit being a cheap ass 96 votes
      38%
    • Hate it, I love being a cheap ass 155 votes
      62%

(251 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Waldorf_Astoria_Boca_11_9_15.jpg
    Funded.jpg
    1452de3a44cd74bcfcb084c8ba6095e7.jpg
    this_sucks_facebook_thumbs_down_stickers-r75a71176c44a47648bff69dadbcfe1db_v9i1a_1024.jpg
    tina-fey-thumbs-down.jpg
    thumbs-down.jpg
    897px-Not_facebook_not_like_thumbs_down.png
    fonzie_thumbs_down.jpg

There are 240 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 3 years ago

r

Quoted from swampfire: Could you live on $100 a day?

Shit, I WISH I made $100 a day. That's $700 a week. The wife and I combined barely make that. That would be some righteous bucks. I've spent many years in my past living off of 8 or 9k a year. Not that hard if you are smart with your money.

As far as FUN! goes. He has a long and very bad tarnished reputation for those that cannot buy his games in person. VERY LONG. Him putting on the good face all of a sudden might fool the new and unknowing crowds of today. Those of us that been around for a long time, know better. he's Going to have to really be squeeky clean for a lot of years, to earn any respect from us old schoolers.

#202 3 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

If anyone wants to bitch about people bringing games to shows or free pinball parties that get too crowded, Im going to tell them to Fuck off.

There may soon be a nominal fee for that.

#203 3 years ago

Maybe boobs will return, as a revenue generator.

Charge $1 to post tit pics. $2 for gash.

#204 3 years ago

In the late 90s and early 2000s, Budweiser ran the Bubble Boys Bubble Hockey promotion featuring super chexx tournaments. When they dropped the promo and tournaments, a vacuum was left for the competitive bubble hockey player. I started an organization called the International Bubble Hockey Federation (IBHF) and launched a (now defunct) website. I did it as a labor of love to keep bubble hockey going. Within 2 years, I was able to gain a 2 year commitment with the St Louis Blues to hold the first ever independent National Championships.

Running the website and coordinating all of the events and promotion that goes with it was a TON of work and was a huge time commitment. What did I get for my efforts to bring people together and have fun playing bubble hockey? A whole bunch of people complaining all the time, criticizing the events and website, people wanting everything for free, and a wife not pleased with how much time I wasn't spending with her andthe family. I spent alot of money out of my own pocket to support it. That's alot of sacrifices.

My 'labor of love' turned a game and hobby I loved into something I wanted nothing to do with. I shut it all down after about 4 years. I am just now coming back around to play bubble hockey more after wanting nothing to do with it for a long time.

So..... to all you haters here, take a step back and realize Pinside exists because someone's love of the hobby, which has improved the hobby for you. That is to be commended not blasted. No matter what Robin decides to charge or not to charge, it will never be enough money to cover the PITA trolls on here. I just hope all the negativity doesn't take the passion for pinball away from Robin and the moderators.

Ask yourself this, 'how would I feel if I woke up tomorrow morning, logged on the computer, and Pinside was gone forever?'

THANK YOU ROBIN ET AL! I, FOR ONE, APPRECIATE ALL YOU DO AND I PLEDGE TO SUPPORT PINSIDE HOWEVER YOU WANT TO RUN THE WEBSITE FOR AS LONG AS IT EXISTS.

#205 3 years ago

I am not necessarily for or against the fees. They just need to be reasonable. Seems if you use the site to sell something it's reasonable to give back. However an alternative to the fees to keep it free is allowing some strategically selected, well placed advertisements onto the site.

The point of advertisers is to make money but not to charge the users. There is advertising already on the site, either through the the forum or on the top of the site where Pinside is promoting posters, pinball magazines, apps, etc

I know pinside has made it a point to keep it ad free, but also free to users. I suppose as things change, I am not against advertisers at all. It's a good way to find pinball companies. It actually can make Pinside a better resource overall IMO

#206 3 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Shit, I WISH I made $100 a day. That's $700 a week. The wife and I combined barely make that. That would be some righteous bucks. I've spent many years in my past living off of 8 or 9k a year.

Dude...you should NOT be donating to Pinside.

#207 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Dude...you should NOT be donating to Pinside.

Probably not. That just shows my dedication to put up with your guys'z shit even more.

As far as labor of love goes. Any of us that run our local pinball leagues, goes through something very similar. Which is small compared to what the sharps probably going through, to keep the pinball rankings website organized and running.

#208 3 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Probably not. That just shows my dedication to put up with your guys'z shit even more.

Hey...I may be a moron, but I'm not an idiot. I've always been nice to you, because I know that I'm never sure when I'll need Neo to work on a playfield for me.

#209 3 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I kind of have the opposite concern of some of the folks here. I don't see how the Marketplace fees are going to be enough to support 2 full time salaries. Let's say that on average, 10 games are sold per day, at an average $20 fee. Could you live on $100 a day? And some of that money has to go to pay for hosting too.
    These fees are a step in the right direction, IMO. I just don't think they'll be enough.

100 a day is like 25k a year. Half of the USA makes probably less than that.... so yes you can live on it easily.

#210 3 years ago

I'd like to chime in and say that there should be a $100 fee for showing the signed Tron apron anywhere on pinside again.

Lionman thread should be $5 per post

and get off my lawn

#211 3 years ago
    Quoted from iwantansi:

I'd like to chime in and say that there should be a $100 fee for showing the signed Tron apron anywhere on pinside again.
    Lionman thread should be $5 per post
    and get off my lawn

Once you hold the AOD and feel it's magic flow through your body you might sing a different tune!

#212 3 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

100 a day is like 25k a year. Half of the USA makes probably less than that.... so yes you can live on it easily.

OK, but why would a guy with Robin's obvious talent and programming skills want to live on $25k a year?

#213 3 years ago

Maybe a year in the Netherlands is like 1/4 of ours. So 100K is good.

#214 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Whose fake ID is this one? One post, new account, that's hilarious.

Laugh all you want I'm, not here to rack up posts by the thousands, But here to buy parts and games, and so far its been really fun, But to penalize the small run venders, I have met here with fees would be a sad day IMO, A real loss to the community as a whole.... So go on, do another thousand random posts if you must, I got some shopping to do.

#215 3 years ago
    Quoted from clone97:

Laugh all you want I'm, not here to rack up posts by the thousands, But here to buy parts and games, and so far its been really fun, But to penalize the small run venders, I have met here with fees would be a sad day IMO, A real loss to the community as a whole.... So go on, do another thousand random posts if you must, I got some shopping to do.

But that is what this place is Primarily about.....a gathering of enthusiasts to talk about pinball. This isn't a pinball store, it's a pinball forum.

#216 3 years ago
    Quoted from clone97:

Quoted from Astropin:

But that is what this place is Primarily about.....a gathering of enthusiasts to talk about pinball. This isn't a pinball store, it's a pinball forum.

Also remember that parts and mods aren't subject to the new fee so the "small run vendors" being "penalized" are really private pin owners (or pin dealers) trying to sell entire pinball machines.

#217 3 years ago
    Quoted from srmonte:

So how is everyone liking the recent changes on Pinside?

Kinda reminds me of the newer version(s) of iTunes...
    Meaning,
    Sometimes it's better just to leave things that "worked well", alone.
    Better to focus on adding more Pinside exclusive suff for starters.
    Manufacturer/insider interviews, new venue spotlight, Pinsider of the week/month/year, tech clinics, etc...

#218 3 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Kinda reminds me of the newer version(s) of iTunes...

All suggestions for features or improvements to Pinside are welcome! PM me your thoughts on what you would like to see added!

#219 3 years ago

Thumbs up/ thumbs down is back. Yay. I didn't have a problem with the other style, but it's nice seeing that number at the top of the post.

#220 3 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Thumbs up/ thumbs down is back. Yay. I didn't have a problem with the other style, but it's nice seeing that number at the top of the post.

Yes!

#221 3 years ago

So, the thief returned the thumbs down icon; he dropped it on Robin's front porch in the dark of night. Maybe there is still hope for the lampshade and translite.

#222 3 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Interesting you would think that, But, I only came here to buy a Silverball, and then got interested in a few other things for my HS2, (and a fire damaged project) How the forum is run is NOT my concern.... However, after wading through the not talking about pinball threads, I don't see your point.

#223 3 years ago

I kind of wish all the OT stuff wasn't relegated to the basement. for example there is a recent post about Hot Wheels cars. I posted in it about Matchbox, looking for some help in getting some values. Problem is it won't be seen by as many people as in the past. I was going to post a thread just like if you are into matchbox and can help me, hit me up. But if its in the basement, how many are going to se it vs on the main page. I agree a lot of the OT should be "put away" but not necessarily all.

#224 3 years ago

Thumbs down - YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

#225 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Thumbs down - YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Done

#226 3 years ago

Man, now THAT feels like Pinside.

-

-

now, where the fnck is Kaneda ...............

#227 3 years ago

What does everyone have against Mr Pinball? It is free, simple and searchable? Just no pictures. Everyone used to get up early in the morning to be the first to see the new listings and rush to be first in line.

#228 3 years ago
    Quoted from makeittogo:

What does everyone have against Mr Pinball? It is free, simple and searchable? Just no pictures. Everyone used to get up early in the morning to be the first to see the new listings and rush to be first in line.

Prices are usually stupid and you'd think that in a community environment like Pinside there would be some community policing to weed out the cons.

Mr pinball is a decent place but just impersonal IMO.

#229 3 years ago
    Quoted from makeittogo:

Quoted from TaylorVA:

Prices are usually stupid and you'd think that in a community environment like Pinside there would be some community policing to weed out the cons. Mr pinball is a decent place but just impersonal IMO.

Agreed. Prices on Mr. Pinball are generally worse than on Pinside. And there's no ability to check out a seller by reading their posts, etc. so you're rolling the dice a bit more buying long-distance. From my anecdotal experience listing one pin for sale on both Mr. Pinball and Pinside, I also found that the least pleasant would-be purchasers contacted me through Mr. Pinball. I think people are slightly more likely to behave decently when they know they may run into you again on the forums.

#230 3 years ago

Mr. Pinball, Craigslist, eBay, Facebook are all viable options to find a pin. Pinside is your best option.

Generally speaking the prices here are overall more representative of actual market values (or the seller will hear about in the thread).

People here generally have some kind of history / feedback. It's also the most visited/viewed pinball sight on on the web so you have a better chance of finding what you are looking for here......at least I have.

Mr.Pinball prices are often a total joke....and there are way more scams than on here.
    Craigslist can be hit or miss but is still great for trying to find something 'local'.
    eBay prices are legendary.....that being said I have had luck making deals on eBay listed pins by contacting the seller privately and dealing outside of eBay (In Person Only!).
    Facebook can be nice also for dealing with known individuals with good reputations.....just a much smaller pool.

#231 3 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

I kind of wish all the OT stuff wasn't relegated to the basement. for example there is a recent post about Hot Wheels cars. I posted in it about Matchbox, looking for some help in getting some values. Problem is it won't be seen by as many people as in the past. I was going to post a thread just like if you are into matchbox and can help me, hit me up. But if its in the basement, how many are going to se it vs on the main page. I agree a lot of the OT should be "put away" but not necessarily all.

I too found myself reading some of the off-topic stuff but this is a PINBALL forum. Most people like to keep their frontpage on topic. I've started reading it a lot more since I don't have to weed through all the off-topic stuff anymore. It sometimes felt like going through a garbage can looking for food.
    There must be other forums/ sites where we'd be much more likely to find info on that stuff.

#232 3 years ago

Brother involved ='s money grab
    (total speculation)
    Pinside ='s Friendster
    Things were fun without the fees and rules.

I gave and I got.
    thanks for the info.
    Pm me when the fun comes back.

Finals tomorrow.

#233 3 years ago

I heard that the 2.00 forum insert charge might be going away. Anyone know anything?

#234 3 years ago
    Quoted from srmonte:

I heard that the 2.00 forum insert charge might be going away. Anyone know anything?

Robin said that charge will be dropped. So i assume it's either gone now or will be in the next update.

#235 3 years ago
    Quoted from srmonte:

Robin dropped that fee a couple days ago ...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-update-november-2015?tu=robin#post-2795381

#236 3 years ago

May need to start a new thread called “So how is everyone liking the EVEN MORE recent changes on pinside.”
    A lot of the issues brought up in this thread are now gone!

#237 3 years ago

Ideally, actual bugs (or perceptions of bugs) should actually be filed in distinct threads; those can then be validated, tracked, and when fixed or answered, marked as "resolved". It is fairly maddening to track issues collectively in huge threads, with all sorts of commentary blended in.

There's even a place for reporting bugs. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/forum/bugs (One bug per thread please!).

#238 3 years ago

Is there any way to have the basement posts show on the front when you click "Forum" with the rest of the threads? Maybe default it to not show basement posts but for each individual user to have an option to activate. Otherwise, the basement seems pointless and will likely die off. I miss some of the quasi-pinball and non-pinball conversations.

#239 3 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Is there any way to have the basement posts show on the front when you click "Forum" with the rest of the threads?

Yes. Go into your forum settings and select "Include basement topics in the forum frontpage".

#240 3 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Yes. Go into your forum settings and select "Include basement topics in the forum frontpage".

Great! Thanks, now I don't feel like I am missing something.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 100.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    Apparel - Men
    Pinside Shop
    $ 9.95
    $ 35.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 55.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    $ 219.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 92.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 119.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    There are 240 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside