3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 240 posts
  • 101 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by DCFAN
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How do you feel about paying to list or sell anything on pinside?”

• Love it, quit being a cheap ass 96 votes
      38%
    • Hate it, I love being a cheap ass 155 votes
      62%

(251 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Waldorf_Astoria_Boca_11_9_15.jpg
    Funded.jpg
    1452de3a44cd74bcfcb084c8ba6095e7.jpg
    this_sucks_facebook_thumbs_down_stickers-r75a71176c44a47648bff69dadbcfe1db_v9i1a_1024.jpg
    tina-fey-thumbs-down.jpg
    thumbs-down.jpg
    897px-Not_facebook_not_like_thumbs_down.png
    fonzie_thumbs_down.jpg

There are 240 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
    #51 3 years ago

I used to give advice and even got local games up and running for no charge.
    I don't do that anymore, no good deed goes unpunished.
    I had one guy that wanted a game I bought, I did a complete teardown, 350 bucks in parts and I wanted 500 bucks more for a game I bought that was filthy and would not boot.
    He instead bought the same title from someone else, it wouldn't boot and I told him 600 bucks + parts to shop it and do the boardwork.
    He got pissed like I was supposed to put 40+ hours into his TZ and parts for free.
    Now I'm the a$$hole.
    The local tech who has been doing amusement repair for 4 decades taught me almost everything I know and I have fabricated quite a few parts for him over the years.
    It's what he does for a living so why should I use what he taught me to take work away from him?
    Gas, grass or ass nobody rides for free.
    Good time Charlie has left the building.

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

All you do is complain. Just leave the site if you don't like it. It's that easy.
    No one will notice or care when you're gone.

Aren't you the guy always complaining about the patriots?

#53 3 years ago

I can't help but think that the true value to the operators of Pinside is the number of members. With all of the new pinball manufacturers, board manufacturers and professional mod developers you would think selling advertising would be the preferred approach... not taxing the free flow of sales between those that are just doing this as a hobby. Nickel and dimeing a hobby forum is usually not a sustainable business plan. That said, I'm sure the OPs have a lot of stress right now since their families are relying on them to make this work... so let's be supportive until they figure out the best approach to monetization. I'm sure nothing is set in stone.

#54 3 years ago

I'm glad they are finally openly running it like a business. I'm sure it was lucrative enough before the brother came on full time.

How can you blame them for wanting to monetize the site and make money?

I like the changes made to accommodate everybody and all types of discussion, good, bad and ugly.

Plus, I'm assuming we will have paid moderators. Why volunteer on a for profit business. They deserve something.

There should be a "free" scaled down version of the site and then a paid "premium" version.

Then you get to choose what you want. Put ads all over the free version.

One thing is for certain, no matter what there will be plenty of bitching and whining

#55 3 years ago

Premium, pro, and LE versions?

Might work.

#56 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Premium, pro, and LE versions?
    Might work.

I'm in for an LE. And fully prepaid.

#57 3 years ago

I donated in the past, paid 10$ for a wanted ad. But lets be blunt. Pinside is not expensive to run. The domain and hosting is no more than a few bucks a month. People think it costs a ton of money to host a site with average bandwidth. The heaviest blow to the server are all my stupid gif's I post. However, the most valuable thing on this site is the support and help we get to keep our machines running. So let them charge whatever they want, it's just money and pinside wants some. That's how things work.

#58 3 years ago
    Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

Who stole the thumbs DOWN button?

fonzie_thumbs_down.jpg

#59 3 years ago

So who pays for the ebay ads that pop up for free?

#60 3 years ago
    Quoted from Brtlkat:

So who pays for the ebay ads that pop up for free?

Both the ebay and amazon links are likely affiliate programs, which can generate some income.

#61 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Pinside is not expensive to run. The domain and hosting is no more than a few bucks a month.

I disagree, it is expensive to run a good site. It's not the hosting, or the domain that are the cost of a good website. This site is a great resource and quite modern with it's multitude of customized features. It stays that way from continued development. Development that even as a hobby can take a lot of time and effort. If Robin and the rest of the staff spend so much time on the site that it's become a full time job that is a good thing. That means this site will continue to grow and add features that benefit us all.

I don't think charging in the market for every ad is the right way to monetize personally, but that's not my decision. I'm sure things will be in flux for some time as they figure out how to make everything work financially. The more resources the site has to dedicate to development and server resources benefits us all.

#62 3 years ago

I'd be all good with a one time membership fee, 50-100 dollars or whatever, but the duplicate account bullshit for trolling is fucking pathetic, end that shit. Get some sort of ID verification implemented.

#63 3 years ago

Jesus Christ, post your ad disguised as a "price check" like we've been doing all along and quit your bitching.

#64 3 years ago

I like the fact that manufacturers and distributers will now be paying pinside a fee for each machine sold as a result of using pinside as a sales tool. That should help keep our costs here from going up.

#65 3 years ago

And just out of curiosity does anybody know what the standard pinside fee will be on an $8000 machine?

#66 3 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

I'd be all good with a one time membership fee, 50-100 dollars or whatever, but the duplicate account bullshit for trolling is fucking pathetic, end that shit. Get some sort of ID verification implemented.

Oh, okay, CrazyKiwi...

#67 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

Jesus Christ, post your ad disguised as a "price check" like we've been doing all along and quit your bitching.

How will pinside collect on the Some nice Pins just listed on Craiglist /ebay threads??

#68 3 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

$1 to $2 (US) would be acceptable to me. $5 for the LE version. Annual. But I'd accept it as a one -time fee as well.

#69 3 years ago

Been thinking about this fee thing.... Since I am done buying pins in this hobby. I am now maxed out with pins I can NEVER sell. So really I just come back for help and BS. That said is this a good place to say "WTB: Night Moves or Caribbean Cruise?" Ok, after the cocktail pin I am done buying. ok also maybe a DE:SW for $2.5k. And um.. also a SoF and a....... Ok I have a problem.

#70 3 years ago

Yes, I have had the same problem for many years. After I completed my "must have" pins and ran out of room a dozen or two pins ago.

It is kind of like the person who says they have quit smoking many times.

#71 3 years ago

They should add price police protection for another dollar. Pay extra to have the ability to delete any comments you don't like on your for sale ad.

#72 3 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

They should add price police protection for another dollar. Pay extra to have the ability to delete any comments you don't like on your for sale ad.

That's a nice for sale thread you've got there. Would be a shame if anything were to happen to it ...

#73 3 years ago

Post free for sale ads/threads at http://www.publicgames.com

Pins, mods, vids, parts, ...
    New accounts get activated within the hour to prevent euro-spammers.

#74 3 years ago
    Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

Yeah, the thumbs down button just made people feel bad, and there is NO place for that in today's society.

i've started telling people to f&*k off instead. only two thread ejects so far.

#75 3 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I think a lot of Pinsiders would jump ship.....

There's a brand new thread in RGP titled, Welcome Back to RGP Pinside Cheapskates!

Someone there had an idea for here:

*free* protip for Robin: you only need two buttons below each post: Smart and Funny

#76 3 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

FYI if you donate to the site there is no fee to list anything for sale. So just call it a membership, and donate something, and then be done with it.
    This site doesn't exist for free. You find it convenient to sell something here, and make money, but not so convenient that the people who provide the site to you get to do so to keep it running and pay their rent.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

so its' free if you already are an active donator? As it should be since you are already contributing.

#77 3 years ago
    Quoted from vanilla:

There's a brand new thread in RGP titled, Welcome Back to RGP Pinside Cheapskates!

Nothing like folks flocking to NNTP/Usenet to avoid a tax. How American?

Perhaps we'll start a new IRC channel to haunt instead?

Either way, neither of those protocols have had any feature updates in decades.

#78 3 years ago

As long as I've been selling pins, since RGP, I've NEVER had to use any forum to sell my pins. A simple ad on Craigslist and word quickly gets around.

#79 3 years ago

Okay - so I've tried this out a couple of days now.

I don't like that the thumbs down is gone. I understand in today's society of "everything is only good - Happy happy joy joy" extreme politically correct nonsense that we don't like to hurt anyone's feelings however it seems to me that not having the ability to disagree with a post quickly and efficiently (thumbs down) without writing a response is leading to MUCH more bickering and rudeness than the thumbs down ever evoked. It is somewhat insulting to only have "thumbs up" - either remove thumbs altogether or put the "thumbs down" back.

My sincere hope is that Robin seriously considers bringing back the "thumbs down" to eliminate the rudeness and bickering its removal has generated.

I hear people whining about a fee to post an ad. I don't believe the fee is terribly excessive, but wonder how the "tiers" are determined? I didn't see any info on "tiers". Personally I would prefer a reasonable flat rate to post an ad for a pin with increasing cost for "featuring" it or "bolding" it etc instead of an increasing cost by "tier". Charge more for lower tiers and less for higher tiers and reach an average cost that is bearable by anyone selling a pin.

I don't really see the value of the "on topic, off topic... etc." I tried it - but doubt that I'll use that feature - I could care less - I either see value in the post or not - I don't need to vote on it.

On a more positive note I really LOVE the basement. Great idea - and nicely executed. Keep it minimally moderated and I suspect it will be more active than any other area of the site.

#80 3 years ago

So... the basement is basically an RGP with pictures. Minus the pinball talk.
    And people left RGP to come here because why? Because RGP was too... what? Wild? Mean? Off-topic?

#81 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinterest:

I don't like that the thumbs down is gone.

Just post one of these instead. The internet has plenty of them.

897px-Not_facebook_not_like_thumbs_down.png

thumbs-down.jpg

tina-fey-thumbs-down.jpg

this_sucks_facebook_thumbs_down_stickers-r75a71176c44a47648bff69dadbcfe1db_v9i1a_1024.jpg

#82 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinterest:

I don't like that the thumbs down is gone. I understand in today's society of "everything is only good - Happy happy joy joy" extreme politically correct nonsense that we don't like to hurt anyone's feelings however it seems to me that not having the ability to disagree with a post quickly and efficiently (thumbs down) without writing a response is leading to MUCH more bickering and rudeness than the thumbs down ever evoked. It is somewhat insulting to only have "thumbs up" - either remove thumbs altogether or put the "thumbs down" back.
    My sincere hope is that Robin seriously considers bringing back the "thumbs down" to eliminate the rudeness and bickering its removal has generated.
    I hear people whining about a fee to post an ad. I don't believe the fee is terribly excessive, but wonder how the "tiers" are determined? I didn't see any info on "tiers". Personally I would prefer a reasonable flat rate to post an ad for a pin with increasing cost for "featuring" it or "bolding" it etc instead of an increasing cost by "tier". Charge more for lower tiers and less for higher tiers and reach an average cost that is bearable by anyone selling a pin.
    I don't really see the value of the "on topic, off topic... etc." I tried it - but doubt that I'll use that feature - I could care less - I either see value in the post or not - I don't need to vote on it.
    On a more positive note I really LOVE the basement. Great idea - and nicely executed. Keep it minimally moderated and I suspect it will be more active than any other area of the site.

Well some on here really have their manpons in when it comes to thumbs down. Because of course. Thumbs up and thumbs down should be a big concern, on everyday life. If you can't handle some criticism on the internet, how the hell you going to handle real life?

#83 3 years ago

judge dredd is a $1415 game now, folks.

#84 3 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

Judge Dredd is a $1415 game now, folks.

I LOL!!!!

that is funny cause it is true!

#85 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinterest:

I understand in today's society of "everything is only good - Happy happy joy joy" extreme politically correct

#86 3 years ago

I agree on thumbs down.

#87 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Just post one of these instead. The internet has plenty of them.

897px-Not_facebook_not_like_thumbs_down.png thumbs-down.jpg tina-fey-thumbs-down.jpgthis_sucks_facebook_thumbs_down_stickers-r75a71176c44a47648bff69dadbcfe1db_v9i1a_1024.jpg 7667_-_michael_cole_smackdown_suit_sunglasses_taz_thumbs_down_vince_mcmahon_wwe.pngleonardo-dicaprio-tom-hanks-thumbs-down.jpg

That does not have the same effect or really even work. In the past you could see a post with 35 thumbs down and then you knew where the community stood on that post. We need that back. It's good for the people in this hobby who may not know better and had the post not been thumb down they might have thought what the poster said was right......or was fair.....or representative of the community.

Not everyone is going to give a negative response to a negative post if they actually have to post it......throwing up a thumbs down was easy and simplified the whole thing.........and kept thread uncluttered with response after response that were ALL saying the same thing......that they disagreed with the POST.

#88 3 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

In the past you could see a post with 35 thumbs down and then you knew where the community stood on that post. We need that back. It's good for the people in this hobby who may not know better and had the post not been thumb down they might have thought what the poster said was right......or was fair.....or representative of the community.
    Not everyone is going to give a negative response to a negative post if they actually have to post it......throwing up a thumbs down was easy and simplified the whole thing.........and kept thread uncluttered with response after response that were ALL saying the same thing......that they disagreed with the POST.

You know, I'm not a thumbs-down advocate yet I get what you're saying to the extent that it serves what you say. But here's the thing...

If the advice or opinion for which you disagree is so bad, and is so hurtful to its intended recipient, who you say may not know better, that the best you can do is a silent thumbs down, then the advice or opinion wasn't so consequential after all, was it? That's what your thumbs down says about you, that you didn't care enough to send your best. Please don't amplify it into some noble service you're performing.

If you are more concerned with appearances, then I guess I see the value of thumbs down.

The point of helping someone is to bring them to a better place. A pinsider once stated that they give thumbs down to alert the requester to doubt the advice giver. How is that helping the requester, when it only keeps him in a mode of uncertainty? Better to dust off your fingertips and offer YOUR advice, and bring the requester to a better place.

#89 3 years ago

Nice bias in your poll language!

#90 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinterest:

I don't like that the thumbs down is gone. I understand in today's society of "everything is only good - Happy happy joy joy" extreme politically correct nonsense that we don't like to hurt anyone's feelings however it seems to me that not having the ability to disagree with a post quickly and efficiently (thumbs down) without writing a response is leading to MUCH more bickering and rudeness than the thumbs down ever evoked. It is somewhat insulting to only have "thumbs up" - either remove thumbs altogether or put the "thumbs down" back..

It always comes down to "political correctness" and politics for some people.

It's NOT. It's about money.

Since this is becoming a pay for use site, allowing people to get alienated or pissed off makes no sense at all. Thumbs down/up started way too many fights and meltdowns. Fights/meltdowns/ejections/bannings = less potential customers and less potential money, simple as that.

It's not politics, it's business. Michael Jordan once said, when refusing to endorse a Presidential candidate, "sorry I have no opinion. Republicans and Democrats both wear Nikes." That's what it is.

#91 3 years ago

In place of a thumbs down, we need an eye roll.

1452de3a44cd74bcfcb084c8ba6095e7.jpg

#92 3 years ago

Is there an option that says if you donate a certain amount of cash per month / year that you don't have to pay fees? If not there should be.

#93 3 years ago

The post multipliers are entirely unnecessary, confusing, and overanimated. Thumbs downs on no more thumbs down. Charging anything to post games for sale turns the market into premium pinball ad space. No amount of me being willing to support Pinside will make people will willing to pay $0 to list a game for sale list those games now. Pinside Market used to be a catch-all for all games for sale like a Mr. Pinball or Facebook group. Now it's ad space on a popular website. It serves a 100% different purpose now and devalues the market to me as a buyer. It's not about people being cheap and unwilling to support Pinside, it's about turning people away who aren't going to pay to list games for us to buy no matter what the fee is.

The off topic areas and other minor improvement around the site seem good, overall I think it was a downgrade though.

#94 3 years ago

There is always KLOV - oh wait you have to pay to join over there too!! Theres RGP, oh wait, theyre even crankier!

Whats wrong with throwing some money in for a valuable tool? Plenty of people pay to see clays repair site (pinballninja.com)

#95 3 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

The post multipliers are entirely unnecessary, confusing, and overanimated. Thumbs downs on no more thumbs down. Charging anything to post games for sale turns the market into premium pinball ad space. No amount of me being willing to support Pinside will make people will willing to pay $0 to list a game for sale list those games now. Pinside Market used to be a catch-all for all games for sale like a Mr. Pinball or Facebook group. Now it's ad space on a popular website. It serves a 100% different purpose now and devalues the market to be as a buyer. It's not about people being cheap and unwilling to support Pinside, it's about turning people away who aren't going to pay to list games for us to buy no matter what the fee is.
    The off topic areas and other minor improvement around the site seem good, overall I think it was a downgrade though.

It's undeniable that this lowers the value of this place as a marketplace. There will be fewer games for sale here now.

#96 3 years ago
    Quoted from iwantansi:

There is always KLOV - oh wait you have to pay to join over there too!! Theres RGP, oh wait, theyre even crankier!
    Whats wrong with throwing some money in for a valuable tool? Plenty of people pay to see clays repair site (pinballninja.com)

Reasons not to throw money at pinside. It is one of many many outlets to list machines. KLOV, RGP, MR Pinball, and Craigslist. The biggest outlet now is facebook. Have you looked at how many dedicated groups there are for selling machines on there?

Selling on here is tougher. You are targeting collectors who know what they are looking at, they know what they can get it for, and they typically want it cheaper than the going rate. Pinside is great for extra exposure, but you can expect to get less for it here. Ebay charges a fee, but you tend to get more on there which balances out.

On here you get price policed (I do it myself when I think something is too high). The worse part is that on here people can turn ads into a three ring circus. Off topic or just generally mocking the seller. The mods don't do anything about it. So why is it that people should pay for this special *service*?

#97 3 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Have you looked at how many dedicated groups there are for selling machines on there?

I've joined almost a dozen of them at this point. Facebook is becoming quite the secondary marketplace for all kinds of stuff these days--not just limited to pinball.

#98 3 years ago

Being employed in the IT industry with certainty the cost to run this site are being greatly exaggerated. Full time jobs off of this "business" are impractical and unsustainable. Donations will drop with the introduction of the fees. Therefore other revenue streams will come into play (i.e ads, premium accounts, charging vendors, etc.) It is unlikely moderators, etc will want to work for free since jobs are apparently sustainable so this needs to be factored in as well. This is bad both for pinside and the community. We have seen this scenario play out before with Clay's site and pinwiki.com. Pinwiki.com was created to ensure free community access to user generated content.

The only way this site will be sustainable as a business will be thru ad's and member dues. If they are planning on the donations and newly introduced fee structure I wish them luck. My prediction is within a month or two we will see membership levels and ads. Most like minded business people will agree with these predictions.

#100 3 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I think a lot of Pinsiders would jump ship.....

goodbye, ralph. your antics will truly be missed.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    Pinball Machine
    Monster Bash Remake Out of stock
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    $ 199.99
    $ 269.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 46.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 89.99
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    RGP Models
    $ 189.99
    £ 45.00
    Lighting - Other
    PinballToys
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    There are 240 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside