Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 240 posts
  • 101 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by DCFAN
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How do you feel about paying to list or sell anything on pinside?”

• Love it, quit being a cheap ass 96 votes
      38%
    • Hate it, I love being a cheap ass 155 votes
      62%

(251 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Waldorf_Astoria_Boca_11_9_15.jpg
    Funded.jpg
    1452de3a44cd74bcfcb084c8ba6095e7.jpg
    this_sucks_facebook_thumbs_down_stickers-r75a71176c44a47648bff69dadbcfe1db_v9i1a_1024.jpg
    tina-fey-thumbs-down.jpg
    thumbs-down.jpg
    897px-Not_facebook_not_like_thumbs_down.png
    fonzie_thumbs_down.jpg

There are 240 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 8 years ago

So I guess we have to pay now to sell anything here on pinside? I posted a item and was told it had to go in the marketplace, then they wanted money to put it on the forum?

Right on!

Keep in mind that you have to pay 2.00 just to be able to have a pinball poster FS listed in the forum

#2 8 years ago

Add a poll to this for best results. Hurry though, as a fee may be required for polls in the future.

#3 8 years ago

Who stole the thumbs DOWN button?

#4 8 years ago

I thought there was only a fee when the item sold?

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Add a poll to this for best results. Hurry though, as a fee may be required for polls in the future.

Good call, added poll while it is still free

#6 8 years ago

I'm glad the thumbs down button is gone. It only started bickering.

#7 8 years ago

Same thing. Pay to post market and forum. My buddy said it best. They are getting greedy and time for a new pinball forum.
    Is this really the beginning of the end?

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from Fortytwo:

Same thing. Pay to post market and forum. My buddy said it best. They are getting greedy and time for a new pinball forum.

I kind of think Ebay when I think of Pinside now. Pay to list it even if it doesn't sell, Lame!

#9 8 years ago

I don't mind paying a small fee to support the site if it helps me sell a pin.

What is the fee to sell now?

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from Allibaster:

I don't mind paying a small fee to support the site if it helps me sell a pin.
    What is the fee to sell now?

Ok to sell a pin I kind of understand. But lets say you have a pinball poster you want to sell. You want to get 30.00 for it, but if you leave it in the marketplace it will get buried and no one will see it. They want 2.00 to insert it into the forum, and no one might want the poster.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from Geocab:

I thought there was only a fee when the item sold?

No they want a 2.00 fee to keep your item from being buried in the marketplace

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from txstargazer3:

No it didn't.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from srmonte:

No they want a 2.00 fee to keep your item from being buried in the marketplace

No. Do homework, stop trolling. If you do not like the terms to SELL using Pinside then sell on Craigslist or EPay.
    FFS you don't even donate to the site to keep it running and your complaining that if you use it to sell something you pay a small percentage?

#14 8 years ago

Pinside doesn't run for free... pick your poison: fees on sales, ads, or donations. Ultimately if Pinside is the center of the pinball universe it seems that asking fees from those making money off of Pinside sales should be the ones doing the kickbacks, no? Otherwise Craigslist is still available... a roll of the dice if there ever was one.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from Patofnaud:

No. Do homework, stop trolling. If you do not like the terms to SELL using Pinside then sell on Craigslist or EPay.
    FFS you don't even donate to the site to keep it running and your complaining that if you use it to sell something you pay a small percentage?

When I tried to list a pinball2000 power driver board in the marketplace, it said you have to pay 2.00 to have it visible in the forum. I posted it as FS in the forum and a moderator deleted it. Im not trolling just stating facts, and figured I'm not alone in being unhappy about it.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

Pinside doesn't run for free... pick your poison: fees on sales, ads, or donations. Ultimately if Pinside is the center of the pinball universe it seems that asking fees from those making money off of Pinside sales should be the ones doing the kickbacks, no? Otherwise Craigslist is still available... a roll of the dice if there ever was one.

I was pretty sure the fees came along after Robin and his Brother decided to work full time for pinside, NO?

#17 8 years ago

I'm sure I will probably get booted off pinside for bringing this up, but I thought it sucked

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from srmonte:

I was pretty sure the fees came along after Robin and his Brother decided to work full time for pinside, NO?

You've listed $100k in for sale ads over the years. What have you done to help the site?

#19 8 years ago

It doesn't really make sense to charge for someone to make a thread for their for sale ad. Since this is a pinball forum the primary place for an ad to be displayed should be on the forum rather than the marketplace, because having it on the forum encourages people to ask questions and have discussion about the item itself, which is one of the main reasons to use a forum in the first place.

Also just paying to sell on Pinside in general doesn't quite make sense, because I'd say Pinside is not the place to go to get a fast sale for the best price you can sell for. If I wanted to sell my games faster and get top dollar for them I could just post on Craigslist for completely free. When I sell on Pinside I'm perfectly okay with getting less for a game and waiting longer for it to sell, because I'm much happier to be selling the game to a Pinsider, and even with the fee I still wouldn't mind selling on Pinside. For some people, however, that's not the case, and instead of paying that fee I can imagine a decent amount of people just removing their for sale posts from Pinside and doing it soley on Craigslist (or other sites such as KLOV) instead.

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from TVP:

You've listed $100k in for sale ads over the years. What have you done to help the site?

That is a big number you pulled from the sky. Just because I listed games here doesn't mean they sold here. You have no clue what I have sold, or how it was sold. Or if it was even sold at all

#21 8 years ago

There's always REC.GAMES.PINBALL

#22 8 years ago

Why do people think they are entitled to everything for free? It makes me sick.

#23 8 years ago

Yeah the thumbs down button is removed because of drama, yet the donation hearts are still very clearly visible to fire up the "heart shaming" crowd.... LOL

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Why do people think they are entitled to everything for free? It makes me sick.

I don't feel entitled for it to be free.

News flash it has been free for years!

They should start charging memberships, lets see how that works out.

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Yeah the thumbs down button is removed because of drama, yet the donation hearts are still very clearly visible to fire up the "heart shaming" crowd.... LOL

I must've been missing out on something, because I never really saw any thumbs down drama.

#26 8 years ago

I think this whole mess would be easier, and more convenient, to pay for memberships. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

I must've been missing out on something, because I never really saw any thumbs down drama.

Look around the site... It's littered everywhere. Someone gives a thumbs down and someone else flips out and goes on the defensive. It is crazy how many guys on here get offended when someone doesn't agree with them. Apparently Pinside recognized it as enough of a problem to do away with the feature.

#28 8 years ago

FYI if you donate to the site there is no fee to list anything for sale. So just call it a membership, and donate something, and then be done with it.

This site doesn't exist for free. You find it convenient to sell something here, and make money, but not so convenient that the people who provide the site to you get to do so to keep it running and pay their rent.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from DocRotCod:

I think this whole mess would be easier, and more convenient, to pay for memberships. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I think a lot of Pinsiders would jump ship..... it would be a huge mistake. Now that they have turned this into their full time jobs, I can only imagine that they are at a serious crossroad in their need for finances here. Definitely a tough decision to make.

#30 8 years ago

I don't really sell anything on the market, but if it prevents anything from being listed and available it's a bad thing I think. It's one thing to pay a fee for a whole machine, but a lot of the small parts, mods, etc will never be worth it. Also there is a lot of fan stuff on this site that I don't people are making much of a profit on, so they probably just won't list them.

I decided to donate when I was able to successfully find multiple odd parts I would never find elsewhere. Not via the market, but by talking to people on the forums. I think if you get a regular benefit from the site for any reason you should donate or support the site in whatever way you can.

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

FYI if you donate to the site there is no fee to list anything for sale. So just call it a membership, and donate something, and then be done with it.
    This site doesn't exist for free. You find it convenient to sell something here, and make money, but not so convenient that the people who provide the site to you get to do so to keep it running and pay their rent.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There's still a fee upon a sale, though.

[edit]: Why is Ralph showing as deactivated? That's the third account today I've seen do that.

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

There's still a fee upon a sale, though.
    [edit]: Why is Ralph showing as deactivated? That's the third account today I've seen do that.

I'm probably next

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from FunkyFreshWalrus:

I don't really sell anything on the market, but if it prevents anything from being listed and available it's a bad thing I think. It's one thing to pay a fee for a whole machine, but a lot of the small parts, mods, etc will never be worth it. Also there is a lot of fan stuff on this site that I don't people are making much of a profit on, so they probably just won't list them.
    I decided to donate when I was able to successfully find multiple odd parts I would never find elsewhere. Not via the market, but by talking to people on the forums. I think if you get a regular benefit from the site for any reason you should donate or support the site in whatever way you can.

Personally, I haven't had any luck selling anything on pinside. So far, everything I've sold has been on other sites, at shows, or unadvertised word-of-mouth.

On one hand, I don't want to be nickel-and-dimed on everything. On the other hand, I don't want to pay a flat fee for something I don't actually use.

In the big announcement thread, I saw there was some interest in vendors/businesses buying some ad space, so that might be something worth looking into. And ads like those wouldn't be annoying like randomly-generated site ads can be, since it's likely something that a good portion of visitors would be interested in anyway. Heck, in the profile settings, you could even have options of what types of ads you would want to see (pins, mods, replacement parts, lighting, repair services, literature/mags, manuals, etc).

#34 8 years ago

Yeah, the thumbs down button just made people feel bad, and there is NO place for that in today's society. Just like teachers not being able to use red pens when grading papers. It's an "aggressive" color and makes the kids feel really really bad. WAAAAH!

Seriously, think about that. Why is it OK to only have the option of saying you like something? Now, instead of just thumbing down your post (because I just so happen to disagree), I have to quote it and comment on it to start bickering.

#35 8 years ago

We have a new mission statement, yet

we have new fees which discourage it.

Just sayin'.

PS: I am glad to pay a small amount for any of
    my games that sell on Pinside. Not a problem.

#36 8 years ago

Lot of negativity towards a free site.

All you idiots that are complaining can just leave.

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Lot of negativity towards a free site.

Thumbs down from me to you.

#38 8 years ago

Am I understanding this correctly?

There is a fee now to post something for sale...what if it's a mod? Is there a fee for each and every one that is sold?

#39 8 years ago
    Quoted from Fortytwo:

No, it is a way to keep legit things for sale. $2 is nothing when it comes to selling a pin in the scheme of things, and that $2 will just go to support the site. Robin & Co bust their ass to make this site run beautifully. Any web coder familiar with javacript knows that, lots of coding to add all these unique features that make this place great. If he is purely doing this in his free time alone, he is spending A LOT of time working on it. That alone deserves the $2 each time, let alone hosting fees/bandwidth/etc. I highly doubt he is making money off this site.

CL is still free if $2 is too rich for your blood, and you can deal with the creepers and tire-kickers there. I'm broke as shit, and even I don't see why this is such a big deal. Who is really stingy?

#40 8 years ago
    Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

Thumbs down from me to you.

You're just the type of negative jackass that can leave.

#41 8 years ago

Pretty simple...

If you are not donating to the site or you are not contributing to posts and helping others, then you have zero grounds to bitch.
    If you are donating, if you are contributing either in posts or doing some research and being charged just to place stuff for sale, then you would have a case to bitch.

#42 8 years ago

How much do I need to donate annually to get member status and not get hit with fees? Sorry if I missed this somewhere

#43 8 years ago

Click the heart in upper right corner. I thing even $10 is enough.

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

Am I understanding this correctly?
    There is a fee now to post something for sale...what if it's a mod? Is there a fee for each and every one that is sold?

I know that many mod makers will just skirt around and sell through PM. BUt honestly, I think that you should have to pay for each and every mod. NOthing against you personally, we have talked on the phone several times and will enjoy the day we meet.

Im not a fan of the new marketplace fee structure, but if it is going to be there, it needs to be as fair/equal as possible. Why should you be allowed to sell say 200 plastic protectors at say 50.00 for a total of 10k in sales, and not have to pay anything. But i sell one game for 3k and have to pay XXX amount. The protectors would actually use more bandwidth with all the PM's and such than the game sale would.

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

You're just the type of negative jackass that can leave.

Quoted from Blackbeard:

Anyone notice the irony here?

#46 8 years ago
    Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

Anyone notice the irony here?

All you do is complain. Just leave the site if you don't like it. It's that easy.

No one will notice or care when you're gone.

#47 8 years ago

Deathmatch!

#48 8 years ago

Thumbs down, Fists up!!

#49 8 years ago

LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT!!!!

That's never been a very convincing or thoughtful argument to me but it makes a nice bumper sticker.

There are 240 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-how-is-everyone-liking-the-recent-changes-on-pinside/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.