(Topic ID: 332553)

So How Exactly Does the Multi-Ball Work on Fireball?

By DanMarino

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Garrett
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F4D086BC-8AC1-4FA1-BBDE-C9BEF09958AB (resized).jpeg
Fireball multiball control (resized).JPG
4MBC Multiball control (resized).JPG
FCDF34C5-C376-4B12-86F7-6764E85DF296 (resized).jpeg
F4153027-C42A-42A5-853A-F5783412635D (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

Hello you EM technical experts. I'm hoping someone can help me understand the genius design that makes my Fireball have the ability to lock balls in the Wotan and Odin holes and then release them for multi-ball. I've looked at the Fireball schematic briefly and it appears that the following relays and switches might be involved. Let's just focus on the Wotan hole.

There is a Wotan Eject Relay, Wotan Hole Relay, and Wotan M-B Relay (mushroom bumper).

To begin with, what allows the ball to lock in the Wotan hole?
I get it that hitting the Wotan mushroom bumper or Fire Gods Target will cause Wotan to eject.

Is it as simple as the Wotan hole has a switch that closes when a ball is locked in the hole.
However, the Wotan hole eject relay won't fire the solenoid, until the Wotan hole relay is closed by the Wotan mushroom bumper relay or the Fire Gods Target relay?

I guess normal kickout holes on other games eject the ball immediately after a relay is closed to score a point value? Is Fire ball just adding some extra relays in between (Fire Gods Target relay or Wotan mushroom bumper relay) the way a regular kickout hole works?

Thanks for helping me better understand the fantastic Fireball EM that Bally created.

#2 1 year ago

Not familiar with Fireball but I assume it's the same as the earlier 4MBC.

And yeah, usually a game has a switch on the hole. That switch triggers a relay, that relay turns the score motor. The last step of the score motor, through another switch on the relay, fires the kickout. In the case of a lock like this for multiball, the hole switch instead makes another ball eject from the trough, and leaves the ball in the hole, and later a target/bumper triggers the hole kickout.

Bally had a really cool, simple system to control the trough where it basically watched how many balls are in the trough, and how many balls are locked on the playfield, and if it saw that no balls were left in play (and the outhole wasn't triggered), then it'd kick out another ball from the trough, so there's no actual direct connection between the ball entering the kickout hole and the trough releasing, it's just a general check of the whole playfield state

#3 1 year ago

It works exactly like later digital multiballs like Firepower, and it's quite genius.

THere are (I think) three switches in the trough. Unlike modern games, where the switches are below the playfield pointed up, these are installed in the walls of the trough, facing the player. Just like a modern game, Fireball keeps track of how many balls are in the trough, and how many balls are in the lock holes on the left or right, and deals out balls accordingly.

#4 1 year ago

Here are the top side and bottom of the Fireball trough switches.

F4153027-C42A-42A5-853A-F5783412635D (resized).jpegF4153027-C42A-42A5-853A-F5783412635D (resized).jpegFCDF34C5-C376-4B12-86F7-6764E85DF296 (resized).jpegFCDF34C5-C376-4B12-86F7-6764E85DF296 (resized).jpeg
#5 1 year ago

4MBC and then the Fireball.

4MBC Multiball control (resized).JPG4MBC Multiball control (resized).JPGFireball multiball control (resized).JPGFireball multiball control (resized).JPG

#6 1 year ago

Hats off to the designer! When I had a Fireball, never problems with the multiball logic.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

Hats off to the designer! When I had a Fireball, never problems with the multiball logic.

I am having issues with a 4MBC. Haven't had time to dig back into it but has been a challenge to find the issue. Had pulled the bottom board and went through everything but some odd crap happens. It get's pretty whacky when this happens. I will try to post videos and the root cause when I find out the issue. A Google search didn't show anyone with a similar issue.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Garrett:

I am having issues with a 4MBC. Haven't had time to dig back into it but has been a challenge to find the issue. Had pulled the bottom board and went through everything but some odd crap happens. It get's pretty whacky when this happens. I will try to post videos and the root cause when I find out the issue. A Google search didn't show anyone with a similar issue.

If during testing, you remove a ball from the tar pit without activating the tar pit exit, it gets confused.

(side note: do mechanical things get confused? )

#9 1 year ago

Confused is as good a word as any. By manually moving the ball you've put the game in a state (a certain combination of stepper, interlock relay, Score Motor, etc. positions) that the designer optimized out of the design because they can't be reached during normal play with the glass on. Covering those 'illegal' states would have added extra hardware and cost.

Gottlieb had a similar behavior for a while if the game was unplugged while the Score Motor was running. The game wouldn't start if the Score Motor wasn't in its index position. (see https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replay-button-doesn-t-start-a-game-by-design)

/Mark

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffc:

If during testing, you remove a ball from the tar pit without activating the tar pit exit, it gets confused.
(side note: do mechanical things get confused? )

That's what I meant by a Google search. That's the only multi-ball issue that is stated, the tar pit and if the Lock Relay is active or not. When the ball enters the tar pit the Lock relay engages. This closes the Tar Pit gate and prevents an additonal ball from being captured. The lock relay is then released when the ball exits the tar pit. If the Lock relay is engaged and there is no ball in the Tar Pit, at the start of a game you will have two balls ejected instead of just one.

That's an easy one. Wish that were my case.

The bevaior on my 4MBC is odd to say the very least.

One out of 3-4 games it will play correctly.

On occasion it will spit out two balls at the start of a new game and the Lock relay is not energized and no ball in the Tar Pit.

On occasion after releasing the captured balls from the Tar Pit and Volcano, three balls in play, when a ball drains it may then immediately get ejected into the shooter lane again.

And on occasion shooting a new ball will only momentarily light the pops as the ball makes the roll over contacts on the skill shot, they do not latch. And it really loses it's brains on the ball count when this occurs. It has to be powered off to clear it.

I pulled the lower board, cleaned all the contacts, steppers cleaned up and fucntion properly, replaced the burnt coils and went through the score motor. Also went through the playfield including Tar Pit and Volcano.

What sucks about this pin is it is impossible to reach some relays in the bottom board without removing the playfied. And many of the relays in question reside in the very rear of the board.

I'll get videos of it at some point. I missed something but not sure what.

While on the subject of these multi-ball Bally's with 2" flippers, I can't praise them enough. I am not a 2" flipper guy at all but the 2" Zippers were genius when paired with mulit-ball. If you've never played on I suggest you give one a whirl. Clay will be having the Ann Arbor Pinabll show soon and if you have never been you should try to make it, an incredible collection to include the multi-ball Bally's.

Would love to have a Fireball sitting next to this 4MBC. Great pinball machines!

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Garrett:

On occasion it will spit out two balls at the start of a new game and the Lock relay is not energized and no ball in the Tar Pit.

The simplest explanation might be that the #3 Trough switch is gapped too close and fires the Ball Release relay a 2nd time as the 1st ball is being kicked to the shooter lane.

/Mark

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkG:

The simplest explanation might be that the #3 Trough switch is gapped too close and fires the Ball Release relay a 2nd time as the 1st ball is being kicked to the shooter lane.
/Mark

I will check it again Mark, thank you.

#13 1 year ago

I'm a little slow to doing this, but at lunch I removed the glass, raised the playfield, and turned on my Fireball.

I put a ball in Wotan and the Wotan relay under the playfield on the way back left hand side of the base cabinet tripped the Wotan Relay and a new ball kicked out into the shooter lane.

Same when I put a ball in Odin. The Odin Relay tripped. A ball shot out into the shooter lane. The Odin Relay also activated the Odin flash motor unit for the Odin hole scoring and lights.

The score motor didn't turn for any of that stuff. Just the Odin Relay and Wotan Relay tripping.

F4D086BC-8AC1-4FA1-BBDE-C9BEF09958AB (resized).jpegF4D086BC-8AC1-4FA1-BBDE-C9BEF09958AB (resized).jpeg
#14 1 year ago

You’re correct so far keep going.

#15 1 year ago

The best part is when my son has both Odin and Wotan locked and then I steal them on my next ball! But, he does have the high score on Fireball.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkG:

/Mark

Once again @MarkG, you're understanding of the EM pinball circuit is astounding! The time you take to help others is appreciated! Some really sharp individuals on this site.

From the explanation I gave, you nailed it. Problem fixed. Thanks again MarkG!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shawnee, KS
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-how-exactly-does-the-multi-ball-work-on-fireball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.